95Likes

post #1981 of 2313 Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
What will be the type and gain of the AT screen?
Seymour AV Center Stage XD with a 1.2 gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2313 Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have only watched a few 3D movies on my 115in 1.0gain screen, but I did not find them dull. All of them were watched with masking panels on my 16X9 screen. I am not a huge 3D fan but I did find the 3D good, not as good as my BenQ W7000, but good enough to be enjoyable. Of course when it comes to 2D, well it is spectacular.
Thanks. I am considering a screen in the 130-140" range...and probably the few movies that are 3D and 2:35 (Those requiring zoom) are what I'm concerned about.

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 07-26-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #1983 of 2313 Old 07-26-2014, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Note that the actual gain of that screen is about 1.0. The 1.2 figure is benchmarked against other similar screens with their inflated numbers, but Seymour will also tell you the real, calculated gain which again is about 1.0.
post #1984 of 2313 Old 07-26-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I posted something similar in the "Heaven is for Real" review thread, but since this is something I noticed with the 4910 I thought I'd see if anyone is seeing a washed out image on mastered in 4k discs using a ps3 or other player with super white set to on.

In my case, I had to disable super white on the ps3 or the picture was washed out. It was immediately apparent something was wrong when the movie started and the sony logo was grey with the black bars top and bottom being almost as grey. I then tested a few mastered in 4k discs and found the same thing. The jvc indicates it is receiving xv color instead of yuv.

In my case I run the jvc in standard hdmi mode so I am already clipping above white. Since super white allows wtw and btb values, I'm guessing something is being remapped with x.v color.

This is not a malfunction, but I don't believe it ever happened on my rs40...which makes sense since it didn't have an xv mode. The 4910 does, though I am not using that color profile.

Anyone else seeing the same thing with washed out image unless they disable super white? Seems I'll have to either leave super white off or turn it off whe playing a disc like this. Though now that I think about it, I see no reason to leave super white on since I run the jvc in standard hdmi mode anyway.
post #1985 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question relating to use of a Darblet with the X500.

I had one in place, at the PJ end, 3ft HDMI and removed it due to constant problems. It was an olde model, running older firmware.

Wondering if a new Darblet with newer firmware removes the handshaking problems?

Or would an Oppo 103 D be a better solution to handshakes.

Why would the Oppo with Darbee work at the AVR end even though the Darbee needs to be positioned beside the PJ as is recommended by all?

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #1986 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 67
To my surprise the 4910 was much brighter on 3D than I expected. The question of screen size is difficult since it depends on how dark your room is and other factors. I know of a few people who have a 140" screen and it works fine with this projector in a darkened room. 3D is usually better with DLP projectors but the 4910 is much improved from JVC's projectors with ghosting issues in the past.
post #1987 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
To my surprise the 4910 was much brighter on 3D than I expected. The question of screen size is difficult since it depends on how dark your room is and other factors. I know of a few people who have a 140" screen and it works fine with this projector in a darkened room. 3D is usually better with DLP projectors but the 4910 is much improved from JVC's projectors with ghosting issues in the past.
Thanks. Lighting would not be an issue.
post #1988 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Thanks. Lighting would not be an issue.

How bright the 3D image needs to be to satisfy the viewers varies from person to person. Since 3D will probably only be a small percent of what you will be watching, I suggest the select the most appropriate screen size for your 2D viewing then if you find the image too dim for your 3D viewing you can zoom for a smaller, and brighter image, as necessary.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #1989 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I posted something similar in the "Heaven is for Real" review thread, but since this is something I noticed with the 4910 I thought I'd see if anyone is seeing a washed out image on mastered in 4k discs using a ps3 or other player with super white set to on.

In my case, I had to disable super white on the ps3 or the picture was washed out. It was immediately apparent something was wrong when the movie started and the sony logo was grey with the black bars top and bottom being almost as grey. I then tested a few mastered in 4k discs and found the same thing. The jvc indicates it is receiving xv color instead of yuv.

In my case I run the jvc in standard hdmi mode so I am already clipping above white. Since super white allows wtw and btb values, I'm guessing something is being remapped with x.v color.

This is not a malfunction, but I don't believe it ever happened on my rs40...which makes sense since it didn't have an xv mode. The 4910 does, though I am not using that color profile.

Anyone else seeing the same thing with washed out image unless they disable super white? Seems I'll have to either leave super white off or turn it off whe playing a disc like this. Though now that I think about it, I see no reason to leave super white on since I run the jvc in standard hdmi mode anyway.
I experienced something similar with Captain Phillips, which I believe is also mastered in 4K. It was ridiculously washed out and I had to drop the brightness something like -10ish to get it to look normal. Also using a PS3.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if superwhite was on. It may have been. I messed with lots settings afterwards. I don't remember finding the problem, but the next day I tried it and the black levels were normal. So either I changed a setting that corrected this or it was an intermittent problem.

Maybe it was the superwhite
post #1990 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

I had one in place, at the PJ end, 3ft HDMI and removed it due to constant problems. It was an olde model, running older firmware.

Wondering if a new Darblet with newer firmware removes the handshaking problems?

Why would the Oppo with Darbee work at the AVR end even though the Darbee needs to be positioned beside the PJ as is recommended by all?
I believe it is recommended not to use a 3 ft cable with the Darblet. You should use a 6 ft cable. The 3 footer maybe be causing problems.

That being said, I recently removed the Darblet from my system. The Darbee processing effect is nice when used in low doses, but it is still a relatively subtle improvement. Once you adjust it so that it is more than subtle, it also becomes too harsh, in my opinion. But I liked it around HD 25-30.

Unfortunately the HDMI quirkiness of the Darblet just became too much for me to think it was worth it. Especially with the firmware in my RS57. Taking the Darblet out got rid of the remaining HDMI quirks and I really don't miss it. I'll use the processing again when I get a BD player or processor that has it built in though.
ScottJ and AidenL like this.
post #1991 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

I have constant minor problems with my Darblet. Mine's also installed at the PJ end. I had six-foot HDMI cables going to and from the Darblet but that didn't seem to matter so I went back to cables that didn't look like a$$ in my installation.

Anyway, if I'm watching something, particularly at higher resolutions/frame rates (1080p60 or 1080p 3D), the Darblet starts to introduce speckles into the image, followed by snowy flashes. Cycling the power on the Darblet seems to fix the issue temporarily...as does taking it completely out of the loop.

I like what it does for the picture but I'm about to chuck the POS out the window. IMHO this is inexcusable for a $300 device that does nothing more than sharpen the image.
seanbryan and AidenL like this.
post #1992 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own the RS4910U. On a couple of occasions I have found that the unit fails to respond to the "Power On" command.
Basically, no matter how much I press the "Power On" button on the remote, the projector fails to turn on. I have managed to get the projector to act normally by unplugging the projector and plugging it back (I figure that is the equivalent of a reset).
It has only happened on two/three occasions; I have not been able to reproduce it at will. I am wondering if this is a known issue or just some kind of fluke/random issue.
Thanks for your input!
post #1993 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
I believe it is recommended not to use a 3 ft cable with the Darblet. You should use a 6 ft cable. The 3 footer maybe be causing problems.

That being said, I recently removed the Darblet from my system. The Darbee processing effect is nice when used in low doses, but it is still a relatively subtle improvement. Once you adjust it so that it is more than subtle, it also becomes too harsh, in my opinion. But I liked it around HD 25-30.

Unfortunately the HDMI quirkiness of the Darblet just became too much for me to think it was worth it. Especially with the firmware in my RS57. Taking the Darblet out got rid of the remaining HDMI quirks and I really don't miss it. I'll use the processing again when I get a BD player or processor that has it built in though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I have constant minor problems with my Darblet. Mine's also installed at the PJ end. I had six-foot HDMI cables going to and from the Darblet but that didn't seem to matter so I went back to cables that didn't look like a$$ in my installation.

Anyway, if I'm watching something, particularly at higher resolutions/frame rates (1080p60 or 1080p 3D), the Darblet starts to introduce speckles into the image, followed by snowy flashes. Cycling the power on the Darblet seems to fix the issue temporarily...as does taking it completely out of the loop.

I like what it does for the picture but I'm about to chuck the POS out the window. IMHO this is inexcusable for a $300 device that does nothing more than sharpen the image.

I'm same as both of you guys - I like the effect, but the handshake problems outweighed the benefit.

Think I'll give it a go again in the Oppo though - I'll report back in on how it goes for me.....

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #1994 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Me four on the Darblet issues.

I got rid of my original Darblet when I got the Lumagen with Darbee processing. The issues I was having with the Darblet in the chain (handshaking, audio drop outs etc) disappeared. I also find myself rarely using the Darbee processing because used discretely the effect is...discrete...but pushed to where it makes more visible difference and I don't like the processed harsh look it gives. Hence when I use it
I use it around 20 or so (sometimes up to 30 for the very rare occasion). I actually prefer the JVC's clear black contrast enhancement in some ways to the Darbee, and use it much more often on "low."

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1995 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I actually prefer the JVC's clear black contrast enhancement in some ways to the Darbee, and use it much more often on "low."
I'm gonna have to give Clear Black a closer look. The Darblet is really starting to pi$$ me off.
post #1996 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I'm gonna have to give Clear Black a closer look. The Darblet is really starting to pi$$ me off.
Between Clear Black and the use of MPC, more specifically the "Enhance" function of MPC, one can achieve basically the same results the Darblet gives you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #1997 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Between Clear Black and the use of MPC, more specifically the "Enhance" function of MPC, one can achieve basically the same results the Darblet gives you.

I agree, I have taken my Darbee out it really is unnecessary.

James Reid:D
post #1998 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
I experienced something similar with Captain Phillips, which I believe is also mastered in 4K. It was ridiculously washed out and I had to drop the brightness something like -10ish to get it to look normal. Also using a PS3.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if superwhite was on. It may have been. I messed with lots settings afterwards. I don't remember finding the problem, but the next day I tried it and the black levels were normal. So either I changed a setting that corrected this or it was an intermittent problem.

Maybe it was the superwhite

It is definitely super white, since that allows the expanded xv color as well as btb and wtw. Not sure how the pj should react, but it appears that there is some remapping going on or it is expecting a display using PC levels. Same thing with elysium or this is the end. Turning superwhite off, the pj will show it is getting yuv instead of xv color when superwhite is on.

Since many recommend running hdmi standard as I am doing, I'm thinking that having superwhite on is of no use anyway.

The reason it was so obvious was the sony logo screen on Heaven is for Real.. The bars top and bottom were as grey as the logo!....It was easy to tell something was up.

Last edited by curlyjive; 07-27-2014 at 04:24 PM.
post #1999 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I agree, I have taken my Darbee out it really is unnecessary.
I still like the darbee with eshift. I haven't tried clear black, but I will give it a look.

I've had intermentant issues with 1080p60 where the image will flash briefly. I don't get hdmi sparkles unless deep color is on. That was the same for my other projectors as well.

So I'm not sure if it is the darbee, my matrix switcher, or the 40 hdmi cable. It is a blue jeans series 1....so a very good cable. I may try a redmere at some point.

In most cases, if it power on everything else first and the the 4910 it seems to be just fine. Th only time I had an issue with 24p was last night when it was getting a xv color signal from a movie. Real time switching of superwhite on and off cased the intermittent flash issue. Restarting all my gear, leaving the 4910 running fixed that.

So, I have to do some more testing to see what this issue is...darbee, cable, switch, ect. But if my startup process works, I'll be less included to start unplugging things. At that point I'll just order a redmere and test it for a few viewings before running permanently.
post #2000 of 2313 Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hi,

Getting prepped to install x500R and have question.

Am told as a rule of thumb want to have the PJ lens even with the top of the screen. (that would be 50% vertical shift)
I also see that the PJ has =/-80% vertical shift which means that it has a certain leeway as to how far it can be placed above or below the center of the screen.
If my screen is 2.35 55 inch high screen (140 diag) I assume that it means I can place the PJ (55 x .8)= +/-44 . SO I can place the PJ 44 inches above or below the center of the screen. So, if top of screen is at 88 inched height (in a 120 inch high ceiling room) and the center of the screen is about 57 inches high then I can place the PJ as high as 101 inches and not have any image distortion. Thus in a 10 ft (120 inch ) high room, I need to find a rod that will drop that PJ at least 19 inches to be at edge of where I will see distortion and in fact, would be better off dropping it so that

Is that correct?....I assume if will be better to drop it 30 inches to get it closer to the center or ideally the 32 to get it to the top.
1) anyone know where I can get a rod this long or do O need to go to Home depot and have one made?
2) Dropping the pj to a height of 88 will put the PJ a little over 2 ft above the heads of the people sitting int he second row. Will that be too noisy for them? I plan on playing in low lamp mode as I got a 1.5 gain screen

Thanks
post #2001 of 2313 Old 07-28-2014, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
I own the RS4910U. On a couple of occasions I have found that the unit fails to respond to the "Power On" command.
Basically, no matter how much I press the "Power On" button on the remote, the projector fails to turn on. I have managed to get the projector to act normally by unplugging the projector and plugging it back (I figure that is the equivalent of a reset).
It has only happened on two/three occasions; I have not been able to reproduce it at will. I am wondering if this is a known issue or just some kind of fluke/random issue.
Thanks for your input!
I have had this happen five or six times. Like you, the only fix seems to be pulling the power plug.
I haven't found a pattern for when it happens either.
post #2002 of 2313 Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Defining customer service:

Bought a 4910 from Mike at AV Science. Had a strange problem pop up and asked for his help. After a series of e-mail exchanges produced no results, Mike suggested (Mike, not me) he call and we could walk through a series of steps. And call he did. On SUNDAY NIGHT. And at the end of the call problem solved.

Will I buy from him again. You betcha! That, friends, is customer service.
post #2003 of 2313 Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog View Post
I have had this happen five or six times. Like you, the only fix seems to be pulling the power plug.
I haven't found a pattern for when it happens either.
My projector sits high-above at ceiling level. pulling the power plug literally means having to get on a ladder which is a pain. If it happens a couple of times a year, I can take advantage to clean the lens and dust off the unit. Fingers crossed here...
Thanks for the reply!
post #2004 of 2313 Old 07-28-2014, 10:41 AM

Hello first of all sorry for my english

I have Sony HW50ES i love it but i wonder if i purchase a jvc 4910 (x500) will i see a better noticable image quality? or do i have to wait for 4k projectors? (2-3 years)

Thank you brothers
post #2005 of 2313 Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
Hello first of all sorry for my english

I have Sony HW50ES i love it but i wonder if i purchase a jvc 4910 (x500) will i see a better noticable image quality? or do i have to wait for 4k projectors? (2-3 years)

Thank you brothers
Need info on room, screen, and conditions of room watching. (light in room, complete black pit, no lights, but light colored walls?)

If complete black pit, yes it is a nice upgrade.

post #2006 of 2313 Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 222
That post should translate easily into his native tongue.
post #2007 of 2313 Old 07-28-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else seeing brightness/ contrast levels incorrect whe playing mastered in 4k disc with the info screen showing xv color instead of YUV? If you respond note your hdmi input setting and if your bd player is outputting btb and wtw or not.

I wonder what manually selecting the xv color profile would do...I would guess nothing for the levels issue.

Last edited by curlyjive; 07-28-2014 at 01:45 PM.
post #2008 of 2313 Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 PM

so tempted
post #2009 of 2313 Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else find the greyscale presets oddly redundant? For example you can choose the 6500 present and then adjust the gains and offsets. In previous models, these modes had the gains locked and you needed the custom modes. Now, you can do the same thing with the custom mode with a 6500 value and gain/offset adjustments as you can with the 6500 preset and gain/offset adjustments.

Am I missing something, or is this redundant?
post #2010 of 2313 Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Anyone else seeing brightness/ contrast levels incorrect whe playing mastered in 4k disc with the info screen showing xv color instead of YUV? If you respond note your hdmi input setting and if your bd player is outputting btb and wtw or not.

I wonder what manually selecting the xv color profile would do...I would guess nothing for the levels issue.

I have Battlefield los Angeles in 4K re-mastered and have not noticed any such issue, I will re watch it and let you know. By the way it looks fantastic.

James Reid:D
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page