post #2011 of 3032 Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have Battlefield los Angeles in 4K re-mastered and have not noticed any such issue, I will re watch it and let you know. By the way it looks fantastic.

When you do:

Note your BD player. If PS3, note your superwhite setting, RGB full or limited, and if you BD playback is set to Ycbcr, RGB or auto. If another player, list its settings.

On the 4910, note what the info screen says (YUV or XVColor) and what your HDMI input (standard, extended, superwhite, and colorspace modes (4:2:0, RGB, ext) are.

This info will help figure out what is going on.

Last edited by curlyjive; 07-30-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 3032 Old 07-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
When you do:

Note your BD player. If PS3, note your superwhite setting, RGB full or limited, and if you BD playback is set to Ycbcr, RGB or auto. If another player, list its settings.

On the 4910, note what the info screen says (YUV or XVColor) and what your HDMI input (standard, extended, superwhite, and colorspace modes (4:2:0, RGB, ext) are.

This info will help figure out what is going on.

Maybe a few days till I watch it but, I have an OPPO 103 set to auto, my 4910 is set to superwhite and the colorspace mode is YCbCr (4.2.2)

James Reid:D
post #2013 of 3032 Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe a few days till I watch it but, I have an OPPO 103 set to auto, my 4910 is set to superwhite and the colorspace mode is YCbCr (4.2.2)
Keep us posted. Let us know what the 4910 sees (YUV vs xv Color) on the info screen during that movie.
Given your setup, it sounds like you are able to pass WTW and BTB. That setting on the PS3 is the superwhite setting which also enables xv color to pass....not sure if it is the same for the Oppo.

Knowing what the 4910 sees will tell us a lot.
post #2014 of 3032 Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Keep us posted. Let us know what the 4910 sees (YUV vs xv Color) on the info screen during that movie.
Given your setup, it sounds like you are able to pass WTW and BTB. That setting on the PS3 is the superwhite setting which also enables xv color to pass....not sure if it is the same for the Oppo.

Knowing what the 4910 sees will tell us a lot.
I just checked and the screen info was YUV while playing the movie.

post #2015 of 3032 Old 07-30-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just checked and the screen info was YUV while playing the movie.
Awesome. So that explains part of it. I'm getting xv color, so something is causing that to be passed. My guess is the PS3 is outputting xv Color because superwhite is on. With superwhite off, i get YUV. I may just leave superwhite off since I am clipping at 235 using HDMI standard anyway.

IF anyone else with a 4910, a PS3, and a mastered in 4K blu ray could check what their info says when playing that movie that would be great! be sure to note if you have superwhite on or off on your PS3!
post #2016 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I'm hoping someone with experience with the DLA x500 can help me
I just bought the projector but I can't work out how to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to my screen ratio of 2.35:1. There is no option for it on the projector in the menus I can find, and where I think it should be only 4:3 and 16:9 are selectable. I'm using an Oppo bd 95 and can't set the ratio on it and it seems like the projector is set to the incoming signal. I'm out of ideas on how to change it so if someone could help me I'd really appreciate it. Cheers
post #2017 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzboy View Post
Hi I'm hoping someone with experience with the DLA x500 can help me
I just bought the projector but I can't work out how to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to my screen ratio of 2.35:1. There is no option for it on the projector in the menus I can find, and where I think it should be only 4:3 and 16:9 are selectable. I'm using an Oppo bd 95 and can't set the ratio on it and it seems like the projector is set to the incoming signal. I'm out of ideas on how to change it so if someone could help me I'd really appreciate it. Cheers
I keep mine set at 16:9 mode and then use the zoom presets to switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1. There is no 2.35:1 mode on the projector. You just have to zoom out so the 2.35:1 image fills your screen. If you display something with a 16:9 aspect ratio while it is zoomed out that way, you'll see the top and bottom portions spilling over the top and bottom of your screen. When that happens, you can zoom in so the 16:9 image fills the center of your screen. Another option is to use keep the projector zoomed out so it fills your 2:35:1 screen (overshooting on the top and bottom), and then use a scaler for 16:9 content so it displays within the boundaries of your screen. I cannot recall if the Oppo can do this, but you can do it with other scalers like a Lumagen. Since it is so easy to set the zoom presets on the projector, though, that is the method I would recommend because the scaling method will effectively remove picture information. I programmed 16:9, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1 buttons on my remote that are tied to the zoom settings, so when my source content changes ratios, I just hit one button and it zooms to the right size automatically.

Here is a link to a Lumagen tech tip that gives a better explanation and has some graphics that might explain it better than I just did: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0016_...ens_032712.pdf
post #2018 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Have an RS49 B-stock available. Call us if interested.
Kris Deering likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2019 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
JVC DILA-X500R for living room

This is my first experience with Home theater installation at home and wondering if your suggestions can guide us in right direction.

We want to install the home theater in living room upstairs. Since its a living room we do not want it to be completely dark. Our goal is it:
  1. Able to watch sports on cable with kids (sometimes in the afternoon as well)
  2. Able to watch movies in night
  3. Once in a month kids have their playdates in the living room so the room needs to be lighted. We can make sure that no lights are falling on the screen directly or is in between projector and screen. All lights at that time would be in the back side and on the seats.
  4. Able to watch a movie with family where kids are playing board games.

We reached out to Geek Squad at Best Buy and they have recommended us this projector (JVC DILA-X500R) with Stewart Firehawk G4 screen.

I would really appreciate your suggestions/comments on this and if someone is having the same kind of arrangement in there then would like to know their experience as well.
post #2020 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya15 View Post
This is my first experience with Home theater installation at home and wondering if your suggestions can guide us in right direction.

We want to install the home theater in living room upstairs. Since its a living room we do not want it to be completely dark. Our goal is it:
  3. Once in a month kids have their playdates in the living room so the room needs to be lighted. We can make sure that no lights are falling on the screen directly or is in between projector and screen. All lights at that time would be in the back side and on the seats.

We reached out to Geek Squad at Best Buy and they have recommended us this projector (JVC DILA-X500R) with Stewart Firehawk G4 screen.

I would really appreciate your suggestions/comments on this and if someone is having the same kind of arrangement in there then would like to know their experience as well.
The x500 is an excellent projector. That said, you will lose much of its major benefit in contrast and black level whenever you have ambient light, and/or light colored walls/ceiling/floors. While it is a pretty bright projector especially for a JVC, there are others that are brighter for daytime modes.

Not to deter you from the JVC, but for less money you could look at something like the Epson 5030.
Give Mike at AVS a call as well, I'm sure he can offer other options that might suit your needs.
post #2021 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM

Thanks for your input. Will the Epson 5030 be as good as in totally dark room also (when we want to watch the movie in the nights or completely dark room)

How can I reach Mike at AVS, is there a number where I can reach him?

Thanks for your suggestion :-)
post #2022 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Check out this thread, it is the step up JVC but basically the same projector as far as light output.

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

post #2023 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input. Will the Epson 5030 be as good as in totally dark room also (when we want to watch the movie in the nights or completely dark room)

How can I reach Mike at AVS, is there a number where I can reach him?

Thanks for your suggestion :-)
What color are your walls, floors, and ceilings? Even with all lights out, if the room colors reflect light back onto the screen, you still lose much of the benefit of the JVC. In a light controlled room with walls that are not a light color, a ceiling that is not white (or at least a font area around the screen that is more light absorbing) The JVC can outperform almost any other projector in terms of contrast and black level. Cardoski's link will give you an idea of what kind of washout you get with ambient light and also some ideas about darkening the area around the screen to optimize the viewing environment when the lights are out.

Mike's contact is a few posts up, user "AV Science Sales 5." I highly recommend buying from AVS. They prices are usually the best and their service, support, and expertise is not something you will find at any big box store.

Last edited by curlyjive; 07-31-2014 at 10:49 AM.
post #2024 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
What color are your walls, floors, and ceilings? Even with all lights out, if the room colors reflect light back onto the screen, you still lose much of the benefit of the JVC. In a light controlled room with walls that are not a light color, a ceiling that is not white (or at least a font area around the screen that is more light absorbing) The JVC can outperform almost any other projector in terms of contrast and black level. Cardoski's link will give you an idea of what kind of washout you get with ambient light and also some ideas about darkening the area around the screen to optimize the viewing environment when the lights are out.

Mike's contact is a few posts up, user "AV Science Sales 5." I highly recommend buying from AVS. They prices are usually the best and their service, support, and expertise is not something you will find at any big box store.
The color which we have on walls is Thatch brown,
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...-thatch-brown/

Ceiling is light color though.

What if we use Epson 5030 with Stewart Firehawk G4 screen. I am wondering how is Epson 5030 in comparison to the JVC 500
post #2025 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The color which we have on walls is Thatch brown,
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...-thatch-brown/

Ceiling is light color though.

What if we use Epson 5030 with Stewart Firehawk G4 screen. I am wondering how is Epson 5030 in comparison to the JVC 500
They are different animals. Both are great projectors that can throw a great image.

The JVC is going to perform it's best in a completely light controlled room with non reflective walls/floors/ceilings. it tends to have a more film like look, due to the properties of the Lcos panels. It's greatest strength is outstanding native contrast and even though JVC put a dynamic iris in this years models, even without it there are few that can touch it in that area. Contrast is probably the most important factor in image quality.

The Epson can get brighter for day modes, though calibrated it will lose a lot of that light. It will probably handle motion a little better, it will have a more video-like look, it will probably be better for 3D (though this years JVC's are very good as well).

If it were me, and a good portion of my viewing was going to mean some ambient light I don't know I would spend the extra for the JVC. I see the JVC as best suited for movies in a dark room. The Epson is more of a multimedia room projector with a bit more flexibility for viewing conditions. As I said, you will not see a lot of what you pay for with the JVC with ambient light or reflective surfaces.
post #2026 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
They are different animals. Both are great projectors that can throw a great image.

The JVC is going to perform it's best in a completely light controlled room with non reflective walls/floors/ceilings. it tends to have a more film like look, due to the properties of the Lcos panels. It's greatest strength is outstanding native contrast and even though JVC put a dynamic iris in this years models, even without it there are few that can touch it in that area. Contrast is probably the most important factor in image quality.

The Epson can get brighter for day modes, though calibrated it will lose a lot of that light. It will probably handle motion a little better, it will have a more video-like look, it will probably be better for 3D (though this years JVC's are very good as well).

If it were me, and a good portion of my viewing was going to mean some ambient light I don't know I would spend the extra for the JVC. I see the JVC as best suited for movies in a dark room. The Epson is more of a multimedia room projector with a bit more flexibility for viewing conditions. As I said, you will not see a lot of what you pay for with the JVC with ambient light or reflective surfaces.
Thanks for your suggestion and as you said I got a chance to speak with Mike ( he is very knowledgeable and patient person). He heard all my queries and questions and was able to suggest some projectors. One of them is Sony HW55ES with Stewart Firehawk G4 screen.
post #2027 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion and as you said I got a chance to speak with Mike ( he is very knowledgeable and patient person). He heard all my queries and questions and was able to suggest some projectors. One of them is Sony HW55ES with Stewart Firehawk G4 screen.
I should have mentioned the Sony, as many people are choosing between JVC and Sony each year. The Sony is also a solid option. If it can work in a bright room (I'm not familiar with it's light output compared to the Epson), it would probably be a better choice. Sony's tend to be very accurate out of the box, have great motion handling for sports, handle 3D well, and reality creation is a nice feature as well.
post #2028 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I grabbed an Oppo 103 D tonight - wondering should I set it to output 4k or let the projector do the shifting with a 1080 signal from the Oppo?

Anyone have any experience on this? When i set it to output 4k, the handshaking seems to get a little slower......

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #2029 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I grabbed an Oppo 103 D tonight - wondering should I set it to output 4k or let the projector do the shifting with a 1080 signal from the Oppo?

Anyone have any experience on this? When i set it to output 4k, the handshaking seems to get a little slower......
I'd set the Oppo to send a 1080p signal to your JVC. Let the projector do the rest. Better HDMI handshake is just one more reason.
AidenL likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #2030 of 3032 Old 07-31-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstach500 View Post
I keep mine set at 16:9 mode and then use the zoom presets to switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1. There is no 2.35:1 mode on the projector. You just have to zoom out so the 2.35:1 image fills your screen. If you display something with a 16:9 aspect ratio while it is zoomed out that way, you'll see the top and bottom portions spilling over the top and bottom of your screen. When that happens, you can zoom in so the 16:9 image fills the center of your screen. Another option is to use keep the projector zoomed out so it fills your 2:35:1 screen (overshooting on the top and bottom), and then use a scaler for 16:9 content so it displays within the boundaries of your screen. I cannot recall if the Oppo can do this, but you can do it with other scalers like a Lumagen. Since it is so easy to set the zoom presets on the projector, though, that is the method I would recommend because the scaling method will effectively remove picture information. I programmed 16:9, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1 buttons on my remote that are tied to the zoom settings, so when my source content changes ratios, I just hit one button and it zooms to the right size automatically.

Here is a link to a Lumagen tech tip that gives a better explanation and has some graphics that might explain it better than I just did: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0016_...ens_032712.pdf
Thanks for replying I really appreciate it. I can't believe that projector doesn't come with 2.35:1 ratio as a setting... Oh well. I'll use your tips when I set it up, thanks for taking the time to help, it's saved me a lot of headache I also didn't know about scalers so cheers for that too! Edit I just looked at the price

Last edited by ozzboy; 07-31-2014 at 08:31 PM.
post #2031 of 3032 Old 08-01-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'd set the Oppo to send a 1080p signal to your JVC. Let the projector do the rest. Better HDMI handshake is just one more reason.
Unless he actually wants to use the eShift mode. The JVC scaling to 4K isn't as good as the Oppo's, so if you'd actually want to use the quasi 4K mode of the JVC, set the Oppo to 4K.
AidenL likes this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #2032 of 3032 Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well sounds like you are getting good advice, I just want to point out that the JVC X500 is simply put, the most outstanding display I have ever had or seen. It really is amazing. Just wanted to point that out to make your choice harder.

post #2033 of 3032 Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Excited to be receiving the RS-4910 on Monday with a Panamorph FVX200. Last projector I bought was an Optoma-H78DC3 in 2005. Safe to assume this will be an improvement Big thanks to Mike on the forum.
post #2034 of 3032 Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post
Excited to be receiving the RS-4910 on Monday with a Panamorph FVX200. Last projector I bought was an Optoma-H78DC3 in 2005. Safe to assume this will be an improvement Big thanks to Mike on the forum.

Congratulations I am sure you will enjoy it.

post #2035 of 3032 Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Have an RS49 B-stock available. Call us if interested.
Mike: been looking for a b-stock or well-priced RS4910. I'm working till very late at night on a deadline nowadays so could I request a PM on the B-stock you have? Is that the RS4910 or the RS49U? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rokker; 08-01-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Typos.
post #2036 of 3032 Old 08-01-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Noticed something odd and would like someone to verify.

While checking brightness using either the avs disc or spears and munsil, look at the black pattern with the flashing bars. On the bars themselves I can see faint vertical lines running down the bars. I noticed I could make them worse when turning superwhite off on the ps3 but there are there with it on.

I even plugged a laptop directly into the pj and played the avs disc image through xbmc and saw the same thing.

Really hoping someone else can reproduce this and that it isn't my unit. It looks nothing like the magenta lines you see with a bad optical block. There are very faint lines on the flashing bars and the lines themselves have no color. You have to be right up to the screen where the bars are flashing to see them.

I don't think I can spot it on actual content or the blue no input screen.

Thanks in advance.
post #2037 of 3032 Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Noticed something odd and would like someone to verify.

While checking brightness using either the avs disc or spears and munsil, look at the black pattern with the flashing bars. On the bars themselves I can see faint vertical lines running down the bars. I noticed I could make them worse when turning superwhite off on the ps3 but there are there with it on.

I even plugged a laptop directly into the pj and played the avs disc image through xbmc and saw the same thing.

Really hoping someone else can reproduce this and that it isn't my unit. It looks nothing like the magenta lines you see with a bad optical block. There are very faint lines on the flashing bars and the lines themselves have no color. You have to be right up to the screen where the bars are flashing to see them.

I don't think I can spot it on actual content or the blue no input screen.

Thanks in advance.
Try disabling CMD if you have it enabled, as it has the side effect of introducing vertical discontinuities (something like 16 or 32 evenly spaced) which is visible on some content although I've never noticed on the AVS patterns.

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #2038 of 3032 Old 08-02-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Try disabling CMD if you have it enabled, as it has the side effect of introducing vertical discontinuities (something like 16 or 32 evenly spaced) which is visible on some content although I've never noticed on the AVS patterns.
I never use cmd and I tried turning off eshift, all the enhancement sliders to 0, clear black is off. I will double check cmd in case somehow it was turned off inadvertently, though I doubt it because I'm hate the effect anyway and probably would have spotted it.

It looks like some kind of vertical sync issue, but that's why I bypassed my entire chain and plugged directly in with a laptop.

I don't see it on high ire patterns like the flashing contrast pattern. I would think if it was an optical block issue it would be there all the time.

I'll recheck cmd tonight. If anyone could throw in that flashing bar brightness pattern and look really closely at the bars for any kind of lines or distortion, I'd be grateful.
post #2039 of 3032 Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I never use cmd and I tried turning off eshift, all the enhancement sliders to 0, clear black is off. I will double check cmd in case somehow it was turned off inadvertently, though I doubt it because I'm hate the effect anyway and probably would have spotted it.

It looks like some kind of vertical sync issue, but that's why I bypassed my entire chain and plugged directly in with a laptop.

I don't see it on high ire patterns like the flashing contrast pattern. I would think if it was an optical block issue it would be there all the time.

I'll recheck cmd tonight. If anyone could throw in that flashing bar brightness pattern and look really closely at the bars for any kind of lines or distortion, I'd be grateful.

So this is only when looking at a certain pattern and only if you are close to the screen? Do you notice it while watching any content?

post #2040 of 3032 Old 08-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Unless he actually wants to use the eShift mode. The JVC scaling to 4K isn't as good as the Oppo's, so if you'd actually want to use the quasi 4K mode of the JVC, set the Oppo to 4K.
Do you mean set the Oppo to output 4k and then turn off eshift?

I assume I should turn down all the processing settings on the X500 if I'm using Darbee also?

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page