post #2041 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
So this is only when looking at a certain pattern and only if you are close to the screen? Do you notice it while watching any content?
So far, the it is most noticeable on the flashing black bars on a brightness pattern. I feel like I can faint lines on low ire patterns...maybe up to 40%

I I'm not sure if I can see it on real content, but then I just noticed it the other night so I spent most of that night unplugging cables trying to rule out something in the chain. Oddly, it first occurred when I was testing turning superwhite on and off to stop the ps3 from passing xv color. I was checking that the change was not affecting brightness and contrast levels and the lines appeared in the pattern. They could have bee there all along, but I don't think so...knowing me I think I would have noticed.

By going straight into the pj with a laptop I think I've eliminated the signal chain, though it is possible that once my signal chain causes the issue, it will stay that way until power cycled. I've seen the 4910 behave that way with handshake issues.

I'm not ready to say its a defect, but there has to be some reason for it and I certainly want to rule out a problem with the pj itself. I feel like there she to be some simple explanation. I would think a problem with the pj would be evident on any pattern.

Like I said it looks like some kind of sync or processing glitch. Almost like banding, but the lines are too straight. That's why I'm curious if anyone else could see the same issue or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I double checked and cmd is off. I toggled every setting... No change I flipped the projection style so the image would be upside down and the flashing bars on thrower side....still see the lines.

I am now wondering if it actually is part of the pattern itself.

I tried it on my dlp, I think I could kind of make out the lines, but dithering makes it hard to tell. So I drug out the rs40 and pointed it at a wall. I think I can see a faint line running down bar 24 and 22 especially. It is easier to spot on the 4910 but I think I can see the same thing on other displays.

Again if anyone can take a look, my sanity will thank you if it turns out to be an artifact in the pattern.
post #2043 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Setting the Oppo to 4K will automatically turn on eshift. But the JVC isn't scaling to 4K anymore. It is interpolating from the 4K input. Will look better with fine detail. Darbee can be on, that is a personal preference. Unless it is the standalone Darblet, it can't accept the 4K signal from the Oppo.
AidenL likes this.
post #2044 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Setting the Oppo to 4K will automatically turn on eshift. But the JVC isn't scaling to 4K anymore. It is interpolating from the 4K input. Will look better with fine detail. Darbee can be on, that is a personal preference. Unless it is the standalone Darblet, it can't accept the 4K signal from the Oppo.
While troubleshooting the strange artifacts/lines I am seeing on the brightness pattern on the avs disc, I did get a chance to run some 4k material since I had my new MacBook Pro plugged directly in and it can output 4k. I played that tears of steel short movie and the 4910 locked into 4k mode. It said is getting 25fps....not sure if that was my macbook doing that or if that is the source frame rate.

It looked good and it was cool to see saying 4k! I have to be plugged directly into my ceiling mounted pj, as my receiver switcher and darblet will not pass 4k. I might run a second hdmi cable so I can run 4k samples from my MacBook and just use optical out for audio.

It was at least a bright spot in an otherwise frustrating night of trying to figure out if what I am seeing is normal or an issue with the pj.
post #2045 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
So far, the it is most noticeable on the flashing black bars on a brightness pattern. I feel like I can faint lines on low ire patterns...maybe up to 40%

I I'm not sure if I can see it on real content, but then I just noticed it the other night so I spent most of that night unplugging cables trying to rule out something in the chain. Oddly, it first occurred when I was testing turning superwhite on and off to stop the ps3 from passing xv color. I was checking that the change was not affecting brightness and contrast levels and the lines appeared in the pattern. They could have bee there all along, but I don't think so...knowing me I think I would have noticed.

By going straight into the pj with a laptop I think I've eliminated the signal chain, though it is possible that once my signal chain causes the issue, it will stay that way until power cycled. I've seen the 4910 behave that way with handshake issues.

I'm not ready to say its a defect, but there has to be some reason for it and I certainly want to rule out a problem with the pj itself. I feel like there she to be some simple explanation. I would think a problem with the pj would be evident on any pattern.

Like I said it looks like some kind of sync or processing glitch. Almost like banding, but the lines are too straight. That's why I'm curious if anyone else could see the same issue or not.
I just checked my AVS disc and I do not see what you are saying. Are you talking about the basic setting on the AVSdisc, the reference black page? Just want to be sure I am checking out the same thing.

James Reid:D
post #2046 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just checked my AVS disc and I do not see what you are saying. Are you talking about the basic setting on the AVSdisc, the reference black page? Just want to be sure I am checking out the same thing.

Yes flashing bar brightness pattern in the basic settings. Your flashing bars are completely clean with no artifacts?
If so that's not good for me.
post #2047 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Yes flashing bar brightness pattern in the basic settings. Your flashing bars are completely clean with no artifacts?
If so that's not good for me.
Ya it is clean, no artifacts. Although if it does not show up in regular viewing maybe you can live with it.

post #2048 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ya it is clean, no artifacts. Although if it does not show up in regular viewing maybe you can live with it.
For what it costs I can't. I'm unplugging it for a bit. See if that changes anything. I'll try and get a picture of it if I can tonight.
post #2049 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokker View Post
Mike: been looking for a b-stock or well-priced RS4910. I'm working till very late at night on a deadline nowadays so could I request a PM on the B-stock you have? Is that the RS4910 or the RS49U? Thanks in advance.
Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2050 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
To clarify-Can the Oppo 103D output a 4K signal including the Darbee processing, or does the Darbee processing only work with the Oppo outputting 1080P?
post #2051 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Sent you a PM.
Hi Mike:

Just sent a reply to your PM.

Thanks!
post #2052 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
To clarify-Can the Oppo 103D output a 4K signal including the Darbee processing, or does the Darbee processing only work with the Oppo outputting 1080P?
It works with both on the Oppo.
post #2053 of 2328 Old 08-02-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

OK so I think I figured out what is going on with the vertical lines in the flashing bar brightness pattern. I can absolutely see them on on my RS40 as well. On bar 24 there is a lighter line and on bar 22 there is a darker line and another on bar 18. Oddly, if you look at the bars below where the white numbers are (bottom of the screen) the lines do not exist there. Also, depending on how you have you gamma controls set , especially picture tone, there is some odd banding that will show up on certain bars. It will become more or less evident or go away completely with changes to the 3 gamma controls and how you have your brightness set.

Since I can see the vertical lines in exactly the same place on the RS40, it has to be the disc. The banding is some flukey thing with either the gamma controls, the controls interaction with that pattern, or something like that. But since I can make it go away I am thinking anyone actually looking hard enough would find this to be the same.

Very odd, but at least I think my PJ is fine, or at least the same as any 4910.
cardoski likes this.
post #2054 of 2328 Old 08-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I tried setting the Oppo to force 4k output to the PJ via my Anthem AVR - having really bad handshaking problems though.......

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #2055 of 2328 Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The anthem doesn't do well with 4K. Send video to pj direct from Oppo and use other output of Oppo to anthem for audio only.
AidenL likes this.
post #2056 of 2328 Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone have a picture that they can post of their JVC mounted to the ceiling with an arm extension? I am looking at the Chief Mounts (Mike, I sent you a PM) and cannot see a clear picture of the plate the connects into the rafters in the ceiling and the plate that will cover up the hole that I am about to make in my ceiling. Any help would be appreciated. After I get the projector mounted, I can then look at screen options. I am thinking the size will be around 135".

Initial Thoughts:

The JVC 4910 is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I have had it for 2-3 weeks now. The picture is absolutely amazing. I am projecting onto a rough textured beige wall right now and I still cannot believe how good it looks. With shades and curtains, daytime viewing is fine. I save shows and movies now in order to watch them at night when I can make everything as dark as possible. Sometimes I just find myself smiling, satisfied by this giant, detailed picture on my wall that gives me a "real home theater feeling." This is my first HT Projector so I do not have anything to compare it against. If you are reading this and are on the fence, I would say go for it. You will not be disappointed.
post #2057 of 2328 Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post
Does anyone have a picture that they can post of their JVC mounted to the ceiling with an arm extension? I am looking at the Chief Mounts (Mike, I sent you a PM) and cannot see a clear picture of the plate the connects into the rafters in the ceiling and the plate that will cover up the hole that I am about to make in my ceiling. Any help would be appreciated. After I get the projector mounted, I can then look at screen options. I am thinking the size will be around 135".

Initial Thoughts:

The JVC 4910 is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I have had it for 2-3 weeks now. The picture is absolutely amazing. I am projecting onto a rough textured beige wall right now and I still cannot believe how good it looks. With shades and curtains, daytime viewing is fine. I save shows and movies now in order to watch them at night when I can make everything as dark as possible. Sometimes I just find myself smiling, satisfied by this giant, detailed picture on my wall that gives me a "real home theater feeling." This is my first HT Projector so I do not have anything to compare it against. If you are reading this and are on the fence, I would say go for it. You will not be disappointed.
Sent you a PM. The plate would be a Chief CMA101. It has a hole in the center, where the drop tube screws on. You can run the wiring down the drop tube, so no hole showing in the ceiling. Here is a link: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA101

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2058 of 2328 Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I should be able to take a few tonight. I'm using a Peerless mount. They make a plate the connects over the drywall into the existing joists.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/4...IvcaAo4J8P8HAQ

I have that bolted into my joists then the extension pole screws in and connects to my mount.
post #2059 of 2328 Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question...

About to mount x500R (very excited)
I had been told that the lens should be level with the top of the screen.
However, in reading I came across the notion that this projector has +/- 80% vertical shift.

If I understand this concept correctly, mounting the lens at the top of the screen level is already 50% vertical shift.
So I should have more vertical height to play with.

So, if my screen is 54 inched high (2.35) then I should have 43 inches (54 x 80% = 43) of vertical play from the middle of the screen.
Or 27 inched (middle of screen) plus 43 inches above or below middle of screen.so, I have an extra 16 inches of vertical height above screen to play with the projector rod before I get any kind of image distortion.
Is that correct?

Thanks...
post #2060 of 2328 Old 08-05-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrudy View Post
Question...

About to mount x500R (very excited)
I had been told that the lens should be level with the top of the screen.
However, in reading I came across the notion that this projector has +/- 80% vertical shift.

If I understand this concept correctly, mounting the lens at the top of the screen level is already 50% vertical shift.
So I should have more vertical height to play with.

So, if my screen is 54 inched high (2.35) then I should have 43 inches (54 x 80% = 43) of vertical play from the middle of the screen.
Or 27 inched (middle of screen) plus 43 inches above or below middle of screen.so, I have an extra 16 inches of vertical height above screen to play with the projector rod before I get any kind of image distortion.
Is that correct?

Thanks...
Your math is correct, but your assumption that you have to use all of the lens shift before getting any distortion is not correct. Usually the center of a lens is polished the best. As you get closer to the edges, the lens often times is not polished as well. So the less lens shift you use, the more likely the sharper the image. Also throw distance comes into play. The closer the projector is mounted to the screen, the larger the exit image is, using more area of the lens. Best to try to mount the projector with lens center close to the top of the image or lower.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #2061 of 2328 Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 AM

[QUOTE=AV Science Sales 5;26304297]Your math is correct, but your assumption that you have to use all of the lens shift before getting any distortion is not correct. Usually the center of a lens is polished the best. As you get closer to the edges, the lens often times is not polished as well. So the less lens shift you use, the more likely the sharper the image. Also throw distance comes into play. The closer the projector is mounted to the screen, the larger the exit image is, using more area of the lens. Best to try to mount the projector with lens center close to the top of the image or lower.[/QU]

THanks...
One thing, you mentioned that closer to the screen uses more lens area. I took that to mean thus, increased susceptibility to decreased sharpness as more of the outer lens is being used. Is the converse true, that if I am further from the screen I will have a sharper image as I will use more of the center of the lens? Plan is to be 18-19 feet back from screen (is that far?).
post #2062 of 2328 Old 08-05-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

[quote=danrudy;26304801]
Quote:
Your math is correct, but your assumption that you have to use all of the lens shift before getting any distortion is not correct. Usually the center of a lens is polished the best. As you get closer to the edges, the lens often times is not polished as well. So the less lens shift you use, the more likely the sharper the image. Also throw distance comes into play. The closer the projector is mounted to the screen, the larger the exit image is, using more area of the lens. Best to try to mount the projector with lens center close to the top of the image or lower.[/QU]

THanks...
One thing, you mentioned that closer to the screen uses more lens area. I took that to mean thus, increased susceptibility to decreased sharpness as more of the outer lens is being used. Is the converse true, that if I am further from the screen I will have a sharper image as I will use more of the center of the lens? Plan is to be 18-19 feet back from screen (is that far?).
In theory yes. Image should be sharper with longer throw, but you give up brightness in doing so. There are always trade-offs.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #2063 of 2328 Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM

THe way it works out with the longer rod and being and the lens being even with the top of screen is that I have 24 inches of clearance in back row (on riser while sitting) and top of head...
will that be too much noise from the x500r or should I make the Pj higher higher and go a little into the vertical shift...lens will be about 18 feet from screen.
post #2064 of 2328 Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
THe way it works out with the longer rod and being and the lens being even with the top of screen is that I have 24 inches of clearance in back row (on riser while sitting) and top of head...
will that be too much noise from the x500r or should I make the Pj higher higher and go a little into the vertical shift...lens will be about 18 feet from screen.

I have mine on a shelf right behind me and basically on top of my head. I never notice any noise from the PJ. Certainly not while the stereo is on.

post #2065 of 2328 Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
If in low lamp, it definitely should be fine, unless you want dead silence during a silent moment in the movie.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #2066 of 2328 Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I have mine on a shelf right behind me and basically on top of my head. I never notice any noise from the PJ. Certainly not while the stereo is on.
Thanks....that puts my mind at ease...of course, i will have to tell people to be careful not to bang into it...LOL
cardoski likes this.
post #2067 of 2328 Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
If in low lamp, it definitely should be fine, unless you want dead silence during a silent moment in the movie.

Thanks....i expect /hope to generally have it in low lamp. That was the part of the rational for the high gain screen
post #2068 of 2328 Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 718
I have had my 4910 for over a month now I love it! Heckuva lot of different options for adjustment. So many that I am basically 100% confused from it all...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #2069 of 2328 Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I have had my 4910 for over a month now I love it! Heckuva lot of different options for adjustment. So many that I am basically 100% confused from it all...
Send me an email and I'll send you some settings to try.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2070 of 2328 Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
To be completely honest, even with all the enhancement features turned off, the image looks fantastic. I personally only used the "enhance" feature under the MPC menu. I have it set to 20. Normally everything else is off, including eShift. Though, definitely play around to find what you personally like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page