post #2071 of 2138 Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
To be completely honest, even with all the enhancement features turned off, the image looks fantastic. I personally only used the "enhance" feature under the MPC menu. I have it set to 20. Normally everything else is off, including eShift. Though, definitely play around to find what you personally like.
Seegs, you going Sony 4k for your next pj?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2138 Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 166
That's the plan, but funding that upgrade may prove to be difficult.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #2073 of 2138 Old 08-07-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 98
post #2074 of 2138 Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here's a question to anyone that has done it or is currently thinking about it. I have 18TB FlexRaid server PC I use with MPC-HC/MadVR for my movies. I was thinking about upgrading my pc's parts to be able to handle 4k upscaling in MadVR. Is it worth it to upgrade my AV receiver to a 4K capable receiver and computer for this projector since it's not a real 4k projector? Will I receive any benefit (sharper image, etc.)? I just wonder if its a waste of time and money to do this since the projector can really only display a 1080p image even though it can input a 4k image.

Thanks,

Last edited by dmoneyman2323; 08-07-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: misspelled some things
post #2075 of 2138 Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post
Here's a question to anyone that has done it or is currently thinking about it. I have 18TB FlexRaid server PC I use with MPC-HC/MadVR for my movies. I was thinking about upgrading my pc's parts to be able to handle 4k upscaling in MadVR. Is it worth it to upgrade my AV receiver to a 4K capable receiver and computer for this projector since it's not a real 4k projector? Will I receive any benefit (sharper image, etc.)? I just wonder if its a waste of time and money to do this since the projector can really only display a 1080p image even though it can input a 4k image.

Thanks,
As long as your receiver can pass 4K, you shouldn't need to upgrade. Plus, as 4K is just emerging, you might want to wait to upgrade bigger items like a receiver since so much could change in just a year, such as the inclusion of Atmos or DTS-UHD.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #2076 of 2138 Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
As long as your receiver can pass 4K, you shouldn't need to upgrade. Plus, as 4K is just emerging, you might want to wait to upgrade bigger items like a receiver since so much could change in just a year, such as the inclusion of Atmos or DTS-UHD.
That's my problem I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A800 its a good receiver but it doesn't accept a 4k input. So I just wonder if its worth it to upgrade to a 4k receiver and higher end graphics card and stuff for this projector or if I should just wait.
post #2077 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Native 4k content and not that compressed to death stuff looks spectacular on a native 4k projector. Native 4k on the JVC using e-shift does not look as good as 1080p/24 without e-shift IMHO. All my SSP's and switching will pass and scale 4k. What I'm holding out more than anything is upgrading to Atmos and or Auro-3D.
BD encoded discs look like end of the year.

My hope is that we see high quality 4k either via a disc format or a download solution from someone like Kaleidescape or Prima. My prediction is end of 2015 if were lucky.
post #2078 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I've looked at a lot of native 4K content on the x700 and it looks every bit as good as 1080p does to me and about 95% of the quality I see from a native 4K projector setup side by side. I don't find a lot of benefit to 1080p scaled up to 4K though. And honestly, with movie content so far I don't see much benefit to 4K, at least in my room.
post #2079 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Your math is correct, but your assumption that you have to use all of the lens shift before getting any distortion is not correct. Usually the center of a lens is polished the best. As you get closer to the edges, the lens often times is not polished as well. So the less lens shift you use, the more likely the sharper the image. Also throw distance comes into play. The closer the projector is mounted to the screen, the larger the exit image is, using more area of the lens. Best to try to mount the projector with lens center close to the top of the image or lower.
So is it better to use feet to angle projector toward center of screen prior to using lens shift?
post #2080 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I've looked at a lot of native 4K content on the x700 and it looks every bit as good as 1080p does to me and about 95% of the quality I see from a native 4K projector setup side by side. I don't find a lot of benefit to 1080p scaled up to 4K though. And honestly, with movie content so far I don't see much benefit to 4K, at least in my room.
Interesting! Makes me happier with my choice to go with the 4910 rather than waiting for native 4K projectors to become affordable with an actual standard in place on said projector.

I used "Tears of Steel" to try 4K and I thought it looked very good. Can't say it was better than a well mastered 1080p blu ray. I have not seen a decent demo of 4K on a native 4K display and I don't count what I have seen at Best Buy as anything to base an opinion off of.

Now are you talking about 1080p Upscaled externally not having much benefit? I had thought the eshift process upscales a 1080p source to 4k and then creates the two 1080p frames. If fed native 4K, eshift does not scale (obviously) but uses that 4K feed and makes two 1080p frames out of it. I could be wrong on this.
post #2081 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson Young View Post
So is it better to use feet to angle projector toward center of screen prior to using lens shift?
Yes but only if you correspondingly tilt the screen to undo the induced keystone.

- Jeff
post #2082 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Interesting! Makes me happier with my choice to go with the 4910 rather than waiting for native 4K projectors to become affordable with an actual standard in place on said projector.

I used "Tears of Steel" to try 4K and I thought it looked very good. Can't say it was better than a well mastered 1080p blu ray. I have not seen a decent demo of 4K on a native 4K display and I don't count what I have seen at Best Buy as anything to base an opinion off of.

Now are you talking about 1080p Upscaled externally not having much benefit? I had thought the eshift process upscales a 1080p source to 4k and then creates the two 1080p frames. If fed native 4K, eshift does not scale (obviously) but uses that 4K feed and makes two 1080p frames out of it. I could be wrong on this.
I've looked at native 4K fed to the PJ (via both a Redray player and a Sony Demo server) and 1080p upscaled to 4K (via a Lumagen doing the scaling or an Oppo 103D doing it). I've yet to see any reason at all to scale 1080p material to 4K or to use eShift with 1080p material in my setup (120" screen, 13 ft from seating position). Native 4K material looked really good, but I didn't see anything that couldn't be matched by a great 1080p source. Compared side by side with both a Sony 600ES and 1100ES with NATIVE 4K content, the JVC looked about 95% as good. Only really fine detail and text looked better on the Sony's in my setup. Most content (especially movie clips) looked nearly identical with only pausing and really looking for small differences showing any real differences. With normal viewing (especially movies and lots of motion) I think most would have had a lot of trouble telling the difference. Other picture factors start to make a lot more difference (contrast of the JVC, brightness of the Sony's). You see more difference with the super slow motion 4K video clips of nature stuff, but who sits around watching that stuff once real content hits the streets. It was the same thing with HDTV back in the the day with endless reels of Japanese gardens and nature footage. Once real content hit the streets no one watched that crap anymore and nothing looks like that except for Discovery Channel productions.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #2083 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Yes but only if you correspondingly tilt the screen to undo the induced keystone.
Or, in other words, you want to square the projector up to the screen in all three dimensions (tilt, rotate, yaw). Then use lens shift to center the image on the screen and fine tune the tilt, rotation and yaw of the projector until the image squares up with the top, bottom and sides of the screen.

If you "angle" the projector toward the center of the screen, you'll have an image that is wider at the top than it is at the bottom (or vice versa). You can correct this with keystone adjustments in the projector, but it is not a good idea since keystone adjustment reduces resolution and therefore picture quality. This is why lens shift is available -- to avoid having to do all that.

post #2084 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I've looked at native 4K fed to the PJ (via both a Redray player and a Sony Demo server) and 1080p upscaled to 4K (via a Lumagen doing the scaling or an Oppo 103D doing it). I've yet to see any reason at all to scale 1080p material to 4K or to use eShift with 1080p material in my setup (120" screen, 13 ft from seating position). Native 4K material looked really good, but I didn't see anything that couldn't be matched by a great 1080p source. Compared side by side with both a Sony 600ES and 1100ES with NATIVE 4K content, the JVC looked about 95% as good. Only really fine detail and text looked better on the Sony's in my setup. Most content (especially movie clips) looked nearly identical with only pausing and really looking for small differences showing any real differences. With normal viewing (especially movies and lots of motion) I think most would have had a lot of trouble telling the difference. Other picture factors start to make a lot more difference (contrast of the JVC, brightness of the Sony's). You see more difference with the super slow motion 4K video clips of nature stuff, but who sits around watching that stuff once real content hits the streets. It was the same thing with HDTV back in the the day with endless reels of Japanese gardens and nature footage. Once real content hit the streets no one watched that crap anymore and nothing looks like that except for Discovery Channel productions.

So you don't really see much difference with e-shift in either case it sounds like. I can't say it is a massive difference, but a subtle solidity to the picture that I like about eshift.

I agree that other display factors make a much bigger difference than 4K alone. Contrast and black level being tops to me. I would bet if had a 4K PJ and a 2K PJ which had superior contrast, black level, grayscale, and gamut most would prefer the latter. I often wonder how many people that think their new 4K TV looks amazing are simply benefiting from an upgrade in PQ from their old display, outside of it being 4K. How much of the great image of the Sony 4K projectors is a factor of it being their flagship model with better image processing, gamut, lens, ect. If you dropped 1080p panels into that PJ and nothing but the resolution changed, how much different would it look?

Now if we get 4K with standards like HDR, larger color spaces/greater bit depth and those displays have excellent contrast, black level, light output, and calibrate well....THAT'S what I hope for. But I think we are a ways off from all of that. Plus everything else in my chain that has to change for that to work!

Last edited by curlyjive; 08-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.
post #2085 of 2138 Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Zoom questions..

HI,
Just lit up the x500r for first time last night....WOW!
Have the pj pretty much aligned with screen ...maybe an 1/8 wider image on bottom of 54 inch image compared with top of screen to edge of screen which may be due to mininal tilt of the wall that the screen rest on...Looks pretty damn good so I am inclined not to try and improve on that.

Quesion...while adjusting the zoom for the 2.35 movie I was trying out the image on last night it seemed that to make the adjustments to zoom I had to keep on going back into the menu to the zoom function of the green grids rather then zooming and adjusting the side to side with image from movie on screen.
1. Is there a way to use these functions with an image rather then the grids?

2. ALso, when I go to the lens memory (after I am adjusted and save) will it save just the setting of the end going quickly to those settings or will it go there in a stepwise manner through every adjustment I made to get to that setting. (in other words if I start out with a 16:9 image and make 25 minor adjustments to get to the proper zoom size for a 2.35 image will the lens simply go from 16:9 to a 2.35 image remembering the final settings or will it actually repeat all of the 25 steps to get to the same final setting?
post #2086 of 2138 Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 AM

Answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrudy View Post
Zoom questions..

HI,
Just lit up the x500r for first time last night....WOW!
Have the pj pretty much aligned with screen ...maybe an 1/8 wider image on bottom of 54 inch image compared with top of screen to edge of screen which may be due to mininal tilt of the wall that the screen rest on...Looks pretty damn good so I am inclined not to try and improve on that.

Quesion...while adjusting the zoom for the 2.35 movie I was trying out the image on last night it seemed that to make the adjustments to zoom I had to keep on going back into the menu to the zoom function of the green grids rather then zooming and adjusting the side to side with image from movie on screen.
1. Is there a way to use these functions with an image rather then the grids?

2. ALso, when I go to the lens memory (after I am adjusted and save) will it save just the setting of the end going quickly to those settings or will it go there in a stepwise manner through every adjustment I made to get to that setting. (in other words if I start out with a 16:9 image and make 25 minor adjustments to get to the proper zoom size for a 2.35 image will the lens simply go from 16:9 to a 2.35 image remembering the final settings or will it actually repeat all of the 25 steps to get to the same final setting?
Nevermind.....playing with the menu and I found my answer....found the control to turn off test pattern.
post #2087 of 2138 Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Nevermind.....playing with the menu and I found my answer....found the control to turn off test pattern.
I don't know if JVC fixed the issue in the firmware update, but for some reason the projector reverts back to enabling e-shift when there's no video input being used. I notice this at start up and shut down. This is why I automatically disabled the patterns when I got my unit. It'd be very difficult to adjust the focus if you were forced to use e-shift. Luckily, if you disable the patterns, when using focus, zoom, or lens shift e-shift stays off.
post #2088 of 2138 Old 08-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I don't know if JVC fixed the issue in the firmware update, but for some reason the projector reverts back to enabling e-shift when there's no video input being used. I notice this at start up and shut down. This is why I automatically disabled the patterns when I got my unit. It'd be very difficult to adjust the focus if you were forced to use e-shift. Luckily, if you disable the patterns, when using focus, zoom, or lens shift e-shift stays off.
I assume I will find the firmware or software version in the menu somewhere when I look.
Which version is the latest?

ANy good tricks to focusing if I am going to use an image?
post #2089 of 2138 Old 08-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I assume I will find the firmware or software version in the menu somewhere when I look.
Which version is the latest?

ANy good tricks to focusing if I am going to use an image?

Originally Posted by Schwa

I use a solid green field to focus the image on my RS4910. Turning off eshift allows you to clearly see the individual pixel borders and using green allows you focus the image without worrying about convergence issues messing up your perception of whether the picture is focused.

It sounds like I use almost the exact same amount of lens shift as you do. In theory, focus will be best at the center of the lens and will get worse the farther away from center you go. This theory actually mirrors what I see on my screen when I focus the image -- the top center and middle center of the image are the sharpest and the two bottom corners are least sharp (my projector is ceiling-mounted). This is completely undetectable from my seating position, but if I get up close to the screen, turn eshift off, and use the solid green field, the pixel boundaries are very crisp at the best-focused part of the image and the pixel boundaries in the corners, while still visible, aren't quite as sharp as they are in the center of the screen.

Also, the amount of zoom and lens aperture also affect the focus -- for best focus, close down the aperture as far as you can and for maximum sharpness zoom out (make the picture small) as much as you can. If you're able to use a longer throw and use less zoom, the projected image will pass through the lens closer to its center. If I open up the aperture all the way and try to focus the image, the pixel boundaries become pretty difficult to make out.

Hope this helps!

This is the tip Schwa gave me and it worked great.

James Reid:D
post #2090 of 2138 Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting quite a bit of noise when watching directv on my x700...I know it's not the highest quality signal but do any of you have any suggestions to help with that as it is 75% of what I watch. Thanks for the help in advance
post #2091 of 2138 Old 08-10-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
New 4910 owner, wow super impressed. Question, i didn't see a lamp mode in the menu but found it in the smart phone app today. Did i just miss it or does JVC want us to run in high lamp mode? Also I didn't see the anamorphic setting in the smart phone app but it's there in the standard menu via the ir remote. It would be nice to be able to toggle between the A and B anamorphic setting without bringing up the large menu for those of us with a A-lense.
post #2092 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson Young View Post
Better to move the projector, so that you are using less lens shift. If you can get the center of the projector lens at the top of the image, then you would be in great shape. If you can't do that, you can angle the projector slightly, but in doing so, you have to angle the screen, so that the screen is parallel with the face of the lens.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2093 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post
New 4910 owner, wow super impressed. Question, i didn't see a lamp mode in the menu but found it in the smart phone app today. Did i just miss it or does JVC want us to run in high lamp mode? Also I didn't see the anamorphic setting in the smart phone app but it's there in the standard menu via the ir remote. It would be nice to be able to toggle between the A and B anamorphic setting without bringing up the large menu for those of us with a A-lense.
Don't remember on the anamorphic setting but the lamp control is found in the advanced menu on the same page as the iris settings. Hit the advanced button on the remote and it will pop right up.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #2094 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advise here. I am having some work done in my basement and having a Theater Room put in. I have decided that a projecter is the route that I want to go. I have narrowed my search to the following PJ's: Espson 6030, the Sony 55es, and the JVC 4910. I know the JVC is signficantly more money but...is it worth it? We will be watching movies from Blue Ray, Apple TV and DTV (HD), some 3d (kids) and sports. Here are the specs on the room:

1. 15 wide buy about 25-30 long
2. No windows, basically full blackness (interior room)
3. 8 foot ceilings
4. ordering a 120' Dragon Fly screen
5. looking like about a 13-14 foot distance between the ceiling mounted projector and screen
6. will be professionally installed

Main interest is very sharp picture, with lots of detail and seperation. Any thoughts on the 3 PJ's I've listed or maybe one not listed? Thanks for help.
post #2095 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by crupp View Post
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advise here. I am having some work done in my basement and having a Theater Room put in. I have decided that a projecter is the route that I want to go. I have narrowed my search to the following PJ's: Espson 6030, the Sony 55es, and the JVC 4910. I know the JVC is signficantly more money but...is it worth it? We will be watching movies from Blue Ray, Apple TV and DTV (HD), some 3d (kids) and sports. Here are the specs on the room:

3. 8 foot ceilings
5. looking like about a 13-14 foot distance between the ceiling mounted projector and screen

Main interest is very sharp picture, with lots of detail and seperation. Any thoughts on the 3 PJ's I've listed or maybe one not listed? Thanks for help.

See my reply in the Sony HW55 thread to this identical question you asked.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2096 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks, trying to non-biased opions
post #2097 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by crupp View Post
Hi everyone,

3. 8 foot ceilings

I have seen the 5030 Epson, I have the X500/4910, and I would go with the JVC. Amazing image, specially if you can completely control outside light. The JVC has a very sharp detailed picture with amazing black levels and contrast, I have had mine since January and have put more then 2000 hrs on it and am still blown away.
Craig Peer likes this.

James Reid:D
post #2098 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I want to take time to thank Mike Garrett of AV Science for the consideration of my needs in purchasing my first projector: the JVC DLA-RS57U.

I know there is another site for this projector but I need to impress on you the kindness and concern Mike has shown to me ever since I first contacted him for a possible purchase.

He has gone out of his way to involve himself in other aspects of my first home theater setup that have greatly aided me. I just want to thank him publicly for his great help and involvement.

Thank you, Mike!
ScottJ, Axel, Ralph Potts and 2 others like this.
post #2099 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post
I want to take time to thank Mike Garrett of AV Science for the consideration of my needs in purchasing my first projector: the JVC DLA-RS57U.

I know there is another site for this projector but I need to impress on you the kindness and concern Mike has shown to me ever since I first contacted him for a possible purchase.

He has gone out of his way to involve himself in other aspects of my first home theater setup that have greatly aided me. I just want to thank him publicly for his great help and involvement.

Thank you, Mike!
+11ty million here on this. Mike is a class act. I have purchased from him and we have also just had some good conversations about HT in general, and sometimes have done both chat and place orders at the same time! What a great resource for AVS to have on their side.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #2100 of 2138 Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post

Thank you, Mike!
Mike also has helped me out tremendously on several matters related to my first ever front projection set-up which I got running this spring. I ran into a couple of problems he helped me resolve and cannot say enough about him.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page