95Likes

post #2101 of 2327 Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Sorry that you are having a problem with your projector.
Just a quick update to this audience. Mike was VERY helpful with my issues. He contacted me (on a Saturday), requested a picture and serial number for my projector, and had a replacement sent my way along with a return label for the old projector. Eventually I decided to return both, not happy with JVCs quality control on the panels, but Mike (and the rest of AVS) were extremelly helpful. Granted I'll contact them first on my next purchase. Kudos AVS on your service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2327 Old 08-12-2014, 06:35 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Hey guys, was talking to another fellow member and he mentioned that there is a solid alternate pair of 3d glasses you can get for the 4910. It is somewhere in this thread but I haven't found it>>>> Can anyone help out and shoot me a link to which ones work and with what emitter I would need to use them with?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2103 of 2327 Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There is another thread on the glasses and emitter, but in general there appear to be 3 options:

The original JVC ones (Expensive):
Emitter
Glasses

Bit Cauldron (also Optoma):
Kit w/Glasses & Emitter
Glasses only

Xpand 105 BT (cheapest option):
Glasses & Emitter

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #2104 of 2327 Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
There is another thread on the glasses and emitter, but in general there appear to be 3 options:

Emitter
Glasses

Kit w/Glasses & Emitter
Glasses only

Glasses & Emitter
Just responded in your build thread! Love to see some new NC builds coming together!! So with these three options, are there any reason to use one over the other?

post #2105 of 2327 Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
So with these three options, are there any reason to use one over the other?
It appears the JVC ones hold horizontal polarity, which is needed if you screen retains polarity. Most screens don't, so you should be able to get away with one of the other two. Basically after that, it comes down to comfort and cost.
beastaudio likes this.

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #2106 of 2327 Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 AM
The Truth Hz

Thanks Blip!

Has anyone measured their fL on screen with this PJ in a light controlled room? I am just messing with the calc at PC and at 138" 16:9 1.0 gain screen it is saying I am around 10fL at 16 foot throw distance. I feel like it is higher than this just from my experience so far.

post #2107 of 2327 Old 08-13-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Thanks Blip!

Has anyone measured their fL on screen with this PJ in a light controlled room? I am just messing with the calc at PC and at 138" 16:9 1.0 gain screen it is saying I am around 10fL at 16 foot throw distance. I feel like it is higher than this just from my experience so far.

You need a light meter - http://www.amazon.com/AEMC-CA811-Fun...mc+light+meter

That way you can always know exactly how many foot lamberts you are getting, how bright you prefer your picture, and when it's time to replace your lamp!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2108 of 2327 Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You need a light meter - http://www.amazon.com/AEMC-CA811-Fun...mc+light+meter

That way you can always know exactly how many foot lamberts you are getting, how bright you prefer your picture, and when it's time to replace your lamp!
I guess I was curious, but certainly not $100 curious! Haha. I just wanted to know if the PC calc was accurate or not with how many fL to expect. I mean, I felt like the sony 55 and 4910 would have been close to around the same brightness, but the sony is looking to have almost a 3-4 fL higher level than the JVC. I just didn't anticipate the difference being that large? I was curious whether it truly was or not...

post #2109 of 2327 Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 261
The PC calculator is generally not accurate. You could always get a $ 40.00 light meter - better than guessing !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2110 of 2327 Old 08-14-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Anyone know whether it is best to pass Ycbcr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 to the JVC? Not sure what it's internal processing is.
post #2111 of 2327 Old 08-14-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have a question in some dark scenes der are some flashing in some Places on the screen i have a dla-x700 can someone tell me what causes this
post #2112 of 2327 Old 08-14-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
anyone know whether it is best to pass ycbcr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 to the jvc? Not sure what it's internal processing is.
4:2:2

post #2113 of 2327 Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
4:2:2
Thanks Much! I have an Oppo 103D inbound, getting all my settings lined up. Since I've had a PS3 as a disc player since blu ray came out, I've never had the choice. Anyone with a 103 or 103D and a 4910 play with the deep color settings? Yeah I know there is no deep color content.
post #2114 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 04:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Emitter
Glasses

Kit w/Glasses & Emitter
Glasses only

Glasses & Emitter
Thanks very much for the post. I picked up the cheapest option and I was pretty impressed by the result. Now that I have the Xpand X105 emitter, is it comparable with other brands? I want to get a second set of glasses, is there a model/brand that is a step up in performance? Thanks again!
post #2115 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNBRN View Post
Thanks very much for the post. I picked up the cheapest option and I was pretty impressed by the result. Now that I have the Xpand X105 emitter, is it comparable with other brands? I want to get a second set of glasses, is there a model/brand that is a step up in performance? Thanks again!
I have used the emitter with other brands of glasses and it works fine with most brands. That being said you will not get better performance with any other glasses and I have tried several brands. These cheap closeout Xpand X105's were made for Mitsubishi before they went out of the projector business. They were made to sell for a much higher price. They work great with the JVC as long as your screen does not retain polarization. The only difference between these and the $180 JVC's is that the JVC's have reverse polarization. They are both made by Xpand. I have both and there is no difference for me. At under $20 they are a steal. Get them while you can. The only thing I would suggest is that you use a hair dryer or heat gun for a few seconds on the arms so that you can adjust them and make them more comfortable. I found them very tight out of the box. This is very easy to do but be careful not leave the heat on long. You just want to soften the plastic so you can bend the arms. If you still want to try other brands of glasses these will work with the Xpand emitter. Active Glasses from Dimensional Optics, 3dTV, Samsung,and others. The Bit Cauldron listed above will only work with its own emitter. Again, I would suggest that you get more pairs of the closeout Xpands for under $20 they work great as you have already discovered.

Last edited by rwestley; 08-16-2014 at 04:49 AM.
post #2116 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 07:29 AM

Liked: 0
How to set aspect ratio's and set lens memory function

Hi,

I have newly purchased a B-stock RS49U. The throw distance is 13-14ft. I am trying to get a 120-130 inch 2.35:1 screen. The zoom function in lens control menu is not going beyond 130 inch while checking the settings. Am I doing something wrong and how do I set the 2.35:1 setting and save it in lens memory. Please pardon my ignorance.

Thanks,
Kiran
post #2117 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I have used the emitter with other brands of glasses and it works fine with most brands. That being said you will not get better performance with any other glasses and I have tried several brands. These cheap closeout Xpand X105's were made for Mitsubishi before they went out of the projector business. They were made to sell for a much higher price. They work great with the JVC as long as your screen does not retain polarization. The only difference between these and the $180 JVC's is that the JVC's have reverse polarization. They are both made by Xpand. I have both and there is no difference for me. At under $20 they are a steal. Get them while you can. The only thing I would suggest is that you use a hair dryer or heat gun for a few seconds on the arms so that you can adjust them and make them more comfortable. I found them very tight out of the box. This is very easy to do but be careful not leave the heat on long. You just want to soften the plastic so you can bend the arms. If you still want to try other brands of glasses these will work with the Xpand emitter. Active Glasses from Dimensional Optics, 3dTV, Samsung,and others. The Bit Cauldron listed above will only work with its own emitter. Again, I would suggest that you get more pairs of the closeout Xpands for under $20 they work great as you have already discovered.
Thanks for the reply!!!
post #2118 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
...Has anybody been faced with the projector's electric cord being too short? Can the JVC cord be attached to an extension?
post #2119 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post
...Has anybody been faced with the projector's electric cord being too short? Can the JVC cord be attached to an extension?

Using an adequate, grounded extension will not harm the projector (unless you believe that some expensive power cords have supernatural and esoteric properties ) I have been using my JVC with a standard grounded extension cord since I got it about six months ago.

Stef
post #2120 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
You don't want to go too long on the power cord. If you go too long it can do damage to the power supply over time. Try and keep the length under 8 feet. As a rule of thumb, the shorter the better. I believe JVC includes a 6 foot cable in the box.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #2121 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
You don't want to go too long on the power cord. If you go too long it can do damage to the power supply over time. Try and keep the length under 8 feet. As a rule of thumb, the shorter the better. I believe JVC includes a 6 foot cable in the box.
???

That power comes in over 100+ feet of Romex, what's an extra few feet of (reasonable quality) extension cord going to do to it?
post #2122 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
???

That power comes in over 100+ feet of Romex, what's an extra few feet of (reasonable quality) extension cord going to do to it?
The longer the power cable becomes, the more impedance that's created. Basically, the power supply doesn't get all the power that it demands. Try running an electric power tool or electric lawn mower on a long extension and see how long before the motor burns out.

post #2123 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolzrule View Post
Hi,

I have newly purchased a B-stock RS49U. The throw distance is 13-14ft. I am trying to get a 120-130 inch 2.35:1 screen. The zoom function in lens control menu is not going beyond 130 inch while checking the settings. Am I doing something wrong and how do I set the 2.35:1 setting and save it in lens memory. Please pardon my ignorance.

Thanks,
Kiran
Are you talking 120" -130" diagonal or width? Even if you are talking diagonal, 13' throw is slightly short for a 130" diagonal 2.35 screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2124 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Stef,

Thanks
post #2125 of 2327 Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Are you talking 120" -130" diagonal or width? Even if you are talking diagonal, 13' throw is slightly short for a 130" diagonal 2.35 screen.
Mike,

I am talking about 130 inch diagonal....I see your point...I will probably get a 120-125 diagonal screen....Is it harmful to have the lens zoomed to max....
post #2126 of 2327 Old 08-17-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth245 View Post
i have a question in some dark scenes der are some flashing in some Places on the screen i have a dla-x700 can someone tell me what causes this
Occasionally, I have the same problem in some movies, I am in 110 lamp hours.
post #2127 of 2327 Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The longer the power cable becomes, the more impedance that's created. Basically, the power supply doesn't get all the power that it demands. Try running an electric power tool or electric lawn mower on a long extension and see how long before the motor burns out.
Those are high-current devices that pull far more amps than a video projector. A long cord of inadequate gauge can cause problems there, but with sufficient gauge even a long extension cord is not a problem. That power traveled over far longer wires to get to the outlet.

For a projector, any $5 Wal-Mart cord will be sufficient gauge.
Schwa likes this.
post #2128 of 2327 Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Those are high-current devices that pull far more amps than a video projector. A long cord of inadequate gauge can cause problems there, but with sufficient gauge even a long extension cord is not a problem. That power traveled over far longer wires to get to the outlet.

For a projector, any $5 Wal-Mart cord will be sufficient gauge.

Some of these units do pull quite a bit of power, upwards of 500 watts, which is over 4 amps on 120v circuit. Some of the bulbs on units talked about on this forum are 260+ watts alone. I would just say be careful and avoid longer power cable runs if possible.

post #2129 of 2327 Old 08-17-2014, 04:06 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm really struggling with a decision to go with the HW55ES or the X500R.

Viewing distance is ~4m/13feet
Dedicated room
At first all the walls will be white (Ill paint them if i have to)
100-110 Inch screen (Haven't decided if 110 will be too big)

Viewing will be 85% movies 15% sports/other

I guess I'm most worried about the motion, apparently the sony is slightly better. Coming from a kuro I love the inky blacks so its making the decision very difficult..

Any comments or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
post #2130 of 2327 Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I think you answered your own question. You watch movies 85% of the time and you love the Kuro blacks. It would seem that the JVC should be your choice. I think you will miss the inky blacks and might regret your decision if you get the Sony. I also don't think that most people will be bothered by motion with the JVC.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page