post #2191 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboaudi View Post
A little late to the party but I just bought a 4910u and am currently waiting for it arrive. It's replacing an Epson 8500ub that has served me well for the past 4 years. I find it's time to go to the next level and waiting for 4k to be affordable is becoming tiresome. Mainly I'm hoping for much improved black levels and a tighter pixel grid, which it seems by what I've read, is what I'll be getting.
Oh you'll get that and MUCH more the two are not in the same league. I had an 8100 before going to an rs40 and now a 4910. Totally different animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Oh you'll get that and MUCH more the two are not in the same league. I had an 8100 before going to an rs40 and now a 4910. Totally different animal.
Definitely what I'm hoping for. A massive jump in performance. Watching my Panasonic 60vt60 has spoiled the hell out of me with it's black levels.
post #2193 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I have a question about the digital Keystone correction. My installer had to move my projector off center a foot or so with a 13ft throw and mentioned that I could correct some vertical line issues using the digital keystone feature. Will this impact the image at all if I move it a tick or two? The only way I can look at it is using the shift grid and see the vertical lines. I can tell that the upper corners are a little wider than the lower so if I correct it using keystone it looks straight. I just would rather a small variance than sacrificing image quality. Thanks for all you experts' help.
Sounds like it's vertically off-center and the PJ is no longer square to the screen. It would be better to square the PJ and use the lens shift to center the image. Provided the shift range is sufficient, this will give a better image than using digital keystone, as any image scaling (which is what digital keystone is) invariably degrades the image (though how much is debatable).

If the range of lens shift is insufficient and you are forced to tilt the PJ, it's still preferable to allow a little bit of keystone and hide that in the black velvet border of the screen.

Also if your installer did not understand this, I'd look for a new installer.
curlyjive and cardoski like this.
post #2194 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboaudi View Post
A little late to the party but I just bought a 4910u and am currently waiting for it arrive. It's replacing an Epson 8500ub that has served me well for the past 4 years. I find it's time to go to the next level and waiting for 4k to be affordable is becoming tiresome. Mainly I'm hoping for much improved black levels and a tighter pixel grid, which it seems by what I've read, is what I'll be getting.

I have seen the Epson 5030 and find the JVC to be a step up, I am sure you will be very happy.

James Reid:D
post #2195 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have seen the Epson 5030 and find the JVC to be a step up, I am sure you will be very happy.

The 4910 costs more than the 5030, and IMO you do get more for that money. Hard to beat the 4910 picture wise for the price.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2196 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
What you are describing sounds like an alignment problem. You would be better off adjusting the alignment of the pj to the screen to fix this. Do not use keystone correction as it will degrade the image.

Because of the ceiling studs not being in the center of the room horizontally we had to move it about a foot off center. I cannot move it now that it has been installed and mounted. We couldnt do the electrical also because of this reason. At any rate I will see how it looks without the keystone on and make a judgement call. What kind of effect does it have on PQ if I turn it on? What should I be looking for specifically?
post #2197 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

You should be able to adjust this by tilting the pj up or down. Having to mount the pj to the left or right is what lens shift is meant for. If your top or bottom is larger, tilting the pj up or down should fix that. You don't need to remount or move the pj.

Are the upper corners equally wider on both sides? If so tilt the pj down a bit so the lens is in the same plane as the screen. Use lens shift to bring the image back up.

Keystone should always be a last resort.

Last edited by curlyjive; 08-26-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typo
post #2198 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Lens shift should always be a last resort.
I would say the digital keystone is the last resort, only if the problem cannot be solved with either moving/rotating/tilting the PJ, or lens shift as a second resort.
post #2199 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
I would say the digital keystone is the last resort, only if the problem cannot be solved with either moving/rotating/tilting the PJ, or lens shift as a second resort.
Sorry, that should have said keystone not lens shift. I'll fix my typo.
ScottJ likes this.
post #2200 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So if the projector is moved to the left the right side upper corner of the screen seems larger than the left which makes sense due to the slight angle. How can I resolve that without moving the projector or using keystone? Thanks all
post #2201 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutaleZEN View Post
Thx seanbryan,

Yes I have a Darblet in the loop. Will try to remove it. Such a shame, meaning I cannot use the Darblet with the JVC ?

Also, i have a problem when playing the Hobbit 3D on my Oppo 103D. The screen goes black every so often. It is displaying 1080p 24 (FP) when it goes on again. What is FP ?

It is fine when I play a 2D movie.

Appart of that, the picture is really good.
It is harder to send 3D than it is 2D. I think you are near your HDMI limits with 2D and when you go to 3D, you are on the very edge, so sync comes and goes.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2202 of 2220 Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Dear Mike Garrett:

You took thousands of dollars from me. Thousands. You didn't apologize - you just sent me a projector and thought it would make up for taking my money. I already have several projectors. What you did makes no sense - especially to my girlfriend.

I want my thousands of dollars back - but I don't want to send you back this JVC RS4910U that is throwing a glorious image on my 176" scope screen. I mean really glorious. I assume you won't agree to refund my money unless I return the projector, so I'm keeping it.

Knowing you, you'll probably pull this crap on me again in a few years with another projector.

drat.

Sincerely,

Chris
chasiliff, Craig Peer and cardoski like this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #2203 of 2220 Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Dear Mike Garrett:

You took thousands of dollars from me. Thousands. You didn't apologize - you just sent me a projector and thought it would make up for taking my money. I already have several projectors. What you did makes no sense - especially to my girlfriend.

I want my thousands of dollars back - but I don't want to send you back this JVC RS4910U that is throwing a glorious image on my 176" scope screen. I mean really glorious. I assume you won't agree to refund my money unless I return the projector, so I'm keeping it.

Knowing you, you'll probably pull this crap on me again in a few years with another projector.

drat.

Sincerely,

Chris
I sincerely apologize to your girlfriend. Looking forward to having to apologize to her again.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2204 of 2220 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a question please

when I change between manual and auto iris, can I see the shift of black level immediately? I test this on different scenes but saw no difference.
post #2205 of 2220 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Dear Mike Garrett:

drat.

Sincerely,

Chris

Think how I feel Chris. First, I was just a forum member, just like you. Then, I discovered AV Science sold stuff. Soon, tens of thousands of dollars seemed to flow from my wallet to AV Science, in exchange for wonderful A / V equipment items - projectors, screens, you name it. Then, one day, I was absorbed - like a home theater Borg had grabbed me. Oh, my friend, there is no escape for you now. " 176" scope screen " - yup, size matters. I bet even your girlfriend agrees with that !
Ralph Potts and iNetRunner like this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2206 of 2220 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Chris,

What screen are you using and how far back do you sit? I am trying to imagine how huge that must be.

post #2207 of 2220 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you have pics Chris?

Give me something to envy please.
post #2208 of 2220 Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
I have firmware 1211.1, should i bother with firmware 1211.6? Is it easy to brick the projector if the firmware installed failed?
post #2209 of 2220 Old Today, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
I have a question please

when I change between manual and auto iris, can I see the shift of black level immediately? I test this on different scenes but saw no difference.
Anyone? I have light colored walls, ceiling and floor, but I dont think this is the issue.

By the way I upgraded from Benq W1070, and even in my environment, the picture is superb compared to W1070.
post #2210 of 2220 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a question please

You're not going to see it on most medium to bright scenes. Even darker scenes with very bright objects may not allow the iris to close down.

Best way to see what it is doing is to play some dark sequences and stand so you can look across the lens to the aperture to see how it is functioning. Just don't stare straight into the lens
post #2211 of 2220 Old Today, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post
I have firmware 1211.1, should i bother with firmware 1211.6? Is it easy to brick the projector if the firmware installed failed?
According to Mike from AVSales, the update only fixes a limited number of specific compatibly issues, such a Extron. IT is not supposed to fix HDMI issues or improve picture performance. That said, you never know what they really changed and I like to run the newest firmware. It's an easy update if you are familiar with firmware updates. If you are not, then I would not risk it.
post #2212 of 2220 Old Today, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a question please

Where can I find the iris settings?
post #2213 of 2220 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamany View Post
Where can I find the iris settings?
Use the "Advanced" button on your remote.
hamany likes this.
post #2214 of 2220 Old Today, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Use the "Advanced" button on your remote.
Is it the "Lens Aperture"?
post #2215 of 2220 Old Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamany View Post
Is it the "Lens Aperture"?
Yes
hamany likes this.
post #2216 of 2220 Old Today, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Chris,

What screen are you using and how far back do you sit? I am trying to imagine how huge that must be.
Hi David,

In the next post I'll show you pics. It's an Elite Screens Sable Frame acoustically transparent screen with their 1080P2, second generation woven screen material, 1.1 gain. I like to sit about 2.5X the screen height, so I'm about 14' back from the screen.

This gigantic screen happened accidentally - I was just trying to upgrade my ten-year-old 100" 16X9 Stewart Firehawk with something a bit larger - like maybe 120" 16X9. But dinking around on Amazon I saw that these Elite Screens were ridiculously cheap. For $600 delivered I could buy the largest screen Elite offered. 10 years ago this would not have been possible (for me - I'm not about to spend $5,000 or whatever it would cost to buy a Stewart in this size range) - nobody was selling cut rate screens on the internet, certainly not this huge.

After factoring in the staircase, my 19X25' room is effectively 16', so a screen with a 13.5' viewable width isn't that ridiculous.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

post #2217 of 2220 Old Today, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post
Do you have pics Chris?

Give me something to envy please.
Hi Sean,

Scroll down toward the end of the build thread and you will see it installed - that's me in the white shirt and jeans. I haven't posted any pictures before now because the theater is really only about half done - when it's complete I'll throw up pictures. The theme is basically solid black, broken up with large black-and-white framed photos of old Hollywood stars, lit from above with small in-ceiling halogen lights.

I don't have the acoustic treatment done, the light colored oak wood stained, the popcorn machine, or any of a hundred other tasks. But we're getting there

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s298/...eefc7b1a57b575
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg screen1.jpeg (45.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg screen2.jpeg (70.8 KB, 27 views)
cardoski likes this.

Last edited by chrisreeves; Today at 11:52 AM.
post #2218 of 2220 Old Today, 12:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hi Sean,

Scroll down toward the end of the build thread and you will see it installed - that's me in the white shirt and jeans. I haven't posted any pictures before now because the theater is really only about half done - when it's complete I'll throw up pictures. The theme is basically solid black, broken up with large black-and-white framed photos of old Hollywood stars, lit from above with small in-ceiling halogen lights.

I don't have the acoustic treatment done, the light colored oak wood stained, the popcorn machine, or any of a hundred other tasks. But we're getting there

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s298/...eefc7b1a57b575
It is a journey, but well worth the end result. I just converted the front of my theater to baffle wall and built/installed new LCR's. Also relocated a couple 18" subs to the baffle wall. With these being baffle wall, I went all out, since I think I will be living with these for a while. Of course, who knows how long with me. Six different sets of speakers have been in this room in the last seven years.

post #2219 of 2220 Old Today, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks good man
post #2220 of 2220 Old Today, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I could be wrong about this, but I think the latest firmware update was supposed to fix some of the networking issues. What firmware version are you running?
Schwa,
Sorry for delay in responding; out of town on assignment. I do have latest version, so that is not the issue. Problem persists. I think I'm going to give up on IP and use the 232.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page