Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 75 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2221 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Member
 
sm4llz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson Young View Post
Schwa,
Sorry for delay in responding; out of town on assignment. I do have latest version, so that is not the issue. Problem persists. I think I'm going to give up on IP and use the 232.
My x500r just starting having an issue yesterday in which after being turned on for about 2 mins it shuts down and i'm left with a solid warning light, flashing lamp, and solid standby. When I purchased from Eastporters I was sent a spare lamp.

The current lamp only has about 200 hours on it but by swapping it the problem has stopped. Eastporters suggested contact JVC support as the original bulb may be under warranty. Has anybody had a similar experience and does anybody have the JVC number handy?

thanks!
sm4llz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2222 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
My x500r just starting having an issue yesterday in which after being turned on for about 2 mins it shuts down and i'm left with a solid warning light, flashing lamp, and solid standby. When I purchased from Eastporters I was sent a spare lamp.

The current lamp only has about 200 hours on it but by swapping it the problem has stopped. Eastporters suggested contact JVC support as the original bulb may be under warranty. Has anybody had a similar experience and does anybody have the JVC number handy?

thanks!


Did you try putting the original lamp back? Maybe it wasn't properly seated, and it's not defective. If it's still not working I would contact JVC (or your dealer) as it should be under warranty if it's under a year/1000 hours use.
Manni01 is online now  
post #2223 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
dan webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: western mass.
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just ordered a benq 1070 refurb to mount directly above my 4910. Now i can put lots of hours on the benq for surfing the net and watching tv and keep the jvc for serious viewing. That way when i upgrade the jvc there will be lots less hours on it. I will also use the benq for outdoor movies, It almost seems like a no brainer for $642.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

dan webster is offline  
post #2224 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
I just ordered a benq 1070 refurb to mount directly above my 4910. Now i can put lots of hours on the benq for surfing the net and watching tv and keep the jvc for serious viewing. That way when i upgrade the jvc there will be lots less hours on it. I will also use the benq for outdoor movies, It almost seems like a no brainer for $642.

It's not a bad idea to have 2 projectors with different strengths. Plus, if you are a projector addict ( and what AVS forum member isn't ? ), you will always have a backup projector if one breaks and needs repair. Thank goodness I have 2 projectors myself now! I can sleep more soundly........

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #2225 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
I just ordered a benq 1070 refurb to mount directly above my 4910. Now i can put lots of hours on the benq for surfing the net and watching tv and keep the jvc for serious viewing. That way when i upgrade the jvc there will be lots less hours on it. I will also use the benq for outdoor movies, It almost seems like a no brainer for $642.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It's not a bad idea to have 2 projectors with different strengths. Plus, if you are a projector addict ( and what AVS forum member isn't ? ), you will always have a backup projector if one breaks and needs repair. Thank goodness I have 2 projectors myself now! I can sleep more soundly........
Agree! I just added a refurb Mitsubishi HC7900DW to complement my JVC RS4910, for gaming and casual use. I see now how it also has these nice side effects. Plus it makes it the thought of a sell/upgrade process less disruptive... Uh oh.

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
jjcook is online now  
post #2226 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Agree! I just added a refurb Mitsubishi HC7900DW to complement my JVC RS4910, for gaming and casual use. I see now how it also has these nice side effects. Plus it makes it the thought of a sell/upgrade process less disruptive... Uh oh.
I have been considering this as well, specially for surfing on my PC and gaming.

James Reid:D
cardoski is offline  
post #2227 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Dual projectors are a must for me. No way I would be satisfied with just one. There is always some type of benefit that you can't get with one projector. Also, the cost of a second DLP projector makes it a no brainer
blee0120 is online now  
post #2228 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
My x500r just starting having an issue yesterday in which after being turned on for about 2 mins it shuts down and i'm left with a solid warning light, flashing lamp, and solid standby. When I purchased from Eastporters I was sent a spare lamp.

The current lamp only has about 200 hours on it but by swapping it the problem has stopped. Eastporters suggested contact JVC support as the original bulb may be under warranty. Has anybody had a similar experience and does anybody have the JVC number handy?

thanks!
I had what sounds to be the same issue, sent to JVC and it was the bulb.

James Reid:D
cardoski is offline  
post #2229 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 290
It seems like you guys are leaning toward a wholesale recommendation, but please step back and get a grip. I'd have to think for the VAST majority of projector owners, owning multiple projectors simply isn't feasible (and I'm not talking about the additional expense, but rather the hassle, logistics, etc). Or sane.
Schwa is online now  
post #2230 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Member
 
twinturboaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well then. Anyone interested in an Epson 8500ub with 350 hours on it when my Jvc comes in?
twinturboaudi is online now  
post #2231 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
It seems like you guys are leaning toward a wholesale recommendation, but please step back and get a grip. I'd have to think for the VAST majority of projector owners, owning multiple projectors simply isn't feasible (and I'm not talking about the additional expense, but rather the hassle, logistics, etc). Or sane.

Oh I have lots of room and I am single lol.

James Reid:D
cardoski is offline  
post #2232 of 2865 Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
It seems like you guys are leaning toward a wholesale recommendation, but please step back and get a grip. I'd have to think for the VAST majority of projector owners, owning multiple projectors simply isn't feasible (and I'm not talking about the additional expense, but rather the hassle, logistics, etc). Or sane.
I never had a problem setting up a projector. But for my preferences, I much prefer dual projectors.
blee0120 is online now  
post #2233 of 2865 Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Rokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Saw a demo of the X500 at a local Best Buy over the weekend. They never have the 3d set up, so I took along my Xpand's RF emitter/105 glasses (no problems synching with the projector), and the Hugo BD.


Granted that it was set up OOTB and the rep didn't seem knowledgeable to help set it up, I saw plenty of crosstalk - and I didn't even need to see CNET's 3d torture test clips for this movie to see how the X500 handled it! Quite disappointed since I heard the new batch of JVCs handle 3D better than last previous years' models. I really want to upgrade to this projector coz I love its 2d performance; it's just that I'm looking for solid, if not DLP-stellar 3D, in my next projector. This is where the X500 is falling short in my price-performance criteria.


So for starters, are there any settings that I should tweak to reduce crosstalk (the crosstalk cancel control or whatever it's called didn't seem to make too much difference) on this machine? I'd be happy to give it another try with the recommended settings to see if it'll work for me. Thanks in advance.
Rokker is offline  
post #2234 of 2865 Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokker View Post
Saw a demo of the X500 at a local Best Buy over the weekend. They never have the 3d set up, so I took along my Xpand's RF emitter/105 glasses (no problems synching with the projector), and the Hugo BD.


Granted that it was set up OOTB and the rep didn't seem knowledgeable to help set it up, I saw plenty of crosstalk - and I didn't even need to see CNET's 3d torture test clips for this movie to see how the X500 handled it! Quite disappointed since I heard the new batch of JVCs handle 3D better than last previous years' models. I really want to upgrade to this projector coz I love its 2d performance; it's just that I'm looking for solid, if not DLP-stellar 3D, in my next projector. This is where the X500 is falling short in my price-performance criteria.


So for starters, are there any settings that I should tweak to reduce crosstalk (the crosstalk cancel control or whatever it's called didn't seem to make too much difference) on this machine? I'd be happy to give it another try with the recommended settings to see if it'll work for me. Thanks in advance.
How long did the JVC warm up for? Like previous years, a 30-45 minute warm up help reduce ghosting.
blee0120 is online now  
post #2235 of 2865 Old 09-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
dan webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: western mass.
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Was the projector on for at least 20 minutes? I have discovered on my 4910 that if i watch 3d without the pj running for at least that much time that i get significant cross talk. After 20 minutes i get almost zero. I had a dlp projector so i know what zero cross talk looks like. It is also possible the glasses were not set up properly with the projector.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

dan webster is offline  
post #2236 of 2865 Old 09-01-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,432
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 297
It also seems that the more hours on the bulb, the more visible ghosting there is. There isn't going to ghosting performance like DLP projectors, but this genetation of JVC projectors brings 3D performance up to the same caliber as 3D performance of the 1080p Sony machines and Epson 3LCD models. If you aren't satified with it's 3D performance you have no where else to go except a Sony 4K or DLP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
Seegs108 is online now  
post #2237 of 2865 Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Member
 
Rokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
How long did the JVC warm up for? Like previous years, a 30-45 minute warm up help reduce ghosting.

Thanks for the reply. I think we just started it up and began watching, so no warm up. Kinda difficult to expect the store guys to be willing to demo with such a long warm-up time; same for if/when I'd want to watch a movie at home - don't think I would convince anyone to wait that long before it's okay to put on the 3D glasses. Any other settings/things to look for in addition to just the warm-up time? This is not looking too promising for my 3D aspirations and I might have to look at the Sony/Epson offerings. Anyone know what CES/CEDIA might bring to JVC? (Please say further improved 3D)
Rokker is offline  
post #2238 of 2865 Old 09-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Rokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
Was the projector on for at least 20 minutes? I have discovered on my 4910 that if i watch 3d without the pj running for at least that much time that i get significant cross talk. After 20 minutes i get almost zero. I had a dlp projector so i know what zero cross talk looks like. It is also possible the glasses were not set up properly with the projector.

Thanks, Dan. Guess I'll look for another opportunity to demo, this time running some 2D material for 20-30 mins. prior to switching to 3D. How does one set up the glasses with the projector? I thought the Xpand RF (the recent $19.99 clear-outs online) emitter and the 105s sync OOTB without any issue or adjustments with the JVCs?
Rokker is offline  
post #2239 of 2865 Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Member
 
Rokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
It also seems that the more hours on the bulb, the more visible ghosting there is. There isn't going to ghosting performance like DLP projectors, but this genetation of JVC projectors brings 3D performance up to the same caliber as 3D performance of the 1080p Sony machines and Epson 3LCD models. If you aren't satified with it's 3D performance you have no where else to go except a Sony 4K or DLP.

Thanks, Seegs. I hear you, although my demo of the Epson 6030 didn't reveal this much crosstalk even without a warm up. Of course, the hours on the bulb may have been a factor too. I'll go back there and try to demo again.


I actually did try the lower-end Optoma HD131Xe and loved its 3D performance; however contrast and placement (in)flexibility were two factors where it wouldn't have worked in my dedicated HT room set up. Should've just bought that Sharp Z30k that you were selling....
Rokker is offline  
post #2240 of 2865 Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
@Rokker - interested to hear what you find out after a warm-up period. Personally I don't want to wait 20-30 minutes to get good 3D.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
blipszyc is online now  
post #2241 of 2865 Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Rokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
@Rokker - interested to hear what you find out after a warm-up period. Personally I don't want to wait 20-30 minutes to get good 3D.
I hear you sir, and have the same issue. However, given what I've been hearing/reading about its 2D performance and contrast ratio, the RS4910 is probably the only projector that I would be willing to make that exception for. But it'll boil down to how good the 3D actually is, after warm up.

If however, and as Seegs said, the 3D is the same with the others, my only decision then is whether I'm going to wait for next year's JVC models or consider the others (HW40ES, HW55ES, and 6030/5030) from this year.
Rokker is offline  
post #2242 of 2865 Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokker View Post
I hear you sir, and have the same issue. However, given what I've been hearing/reading about its 2D performance and contrast ratio, the RS4910 is probably the only projector that I would be willing to make that exception for. But it'll boil down to how good the 3D actually is, after warm up.

If however, and as Seegs said, the 3D is the same with the others, my only decision then is whether I'm going to wait for next year's JVC models or consider the others (HW40ES, HW55ES, and 6030/5030) from this year.
I had the 50ES and 3D performance was good. (left the PJ with the last house) Very little crosstalk on the Sony PS3 IR glasses and no warm-up time either. Contrast probably isn't as good as the JVC, and there is no motorized zoom, but the wife and I have been watching more and more 3D, so that has to be decent as well.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
blipszyc is online now  
post #2243 of 2865 Old 09-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thinking of upgrading our Sony VPL-VW100 (Ruby) in the future. How does the X500 compare if anyone has upgraded from a similar projector? I have always been very happy with the Ruby's color, contrast and pretty much everything else. The bulb costs are high. My real reason to upgrade would be to get better black levels and improved in-scene contrast as well as a bit more sharpness.
CSI007 is offline  
post #2244 of 2865 Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Member
 
TheSeanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just finished a quick calibration of my PJ with the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray. My Screen is Elite Screens Starling Tension Series (135"(16:9) Black) Electric/Motoirzed 1.1 Gain and my projector is about 20' back, hanging from the ceiling. My room has a white ceiling and beige walls. I did the calibration at night. Is there anything special that I have to set my PJ to in order to conduct a calibration (Short method, the first calibration link on the menu)? I had to bring my contrast down to -35 and I still could not see all of the boxes around the numbers but the curve was smooth when setting the contrast. My pj is on low lamp and auto iris 1. I guess my question is, is there a base setting to work up from other then the factory default? Any help would be appreciated or a point in the right direction.

I also found out that my Onkyo TX-NR 809 was not passing the signal from my OPPO 103d to my PJ. I set my receiver to "through" for the HDMI and I can see a big difference in the picture. Was my signal getting bottle necked and messed with in the receiver before going to the PJ?

As always, thank you in advance.
TheSeanO is offline  
post #2245 of 2865 Old 09-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post
Just finished a quick calibration of my PJ with the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray. My Screen is Elite Screens Starling Tension Series (135"(16:9) Black) Electric/Motoirzed 1.1 Gain and my projector is about 20' back, hanging from the ceiling. My room has a white ceiling and beige walls. I did the calibration at night. Is there anything special that I have to set my PJ to in order to conduct a calibration (Short method, the first calibration link on the menu)? I had to bring my contrast down to -35 and I still could not see all of the boxes around the numbers but the curve was smooth when setting the contrast. My pj is on low lamp and auto iris 1. I guess my question is, is there a base setting to work up from other then the factory default? Any help would be appreciated or a point in the right direction.

I also found out that my Onkyo TX-NR 809 was not passing the signal from my OPPO 103d to my PJ. I set my receiver to "through" for the HDMI and I can see a big difference in the picture. Was my signal getting bottle necked and messed with in the receiver before going to the PJ?

As always, thank you in advance.

Something is not right if you have your contrast at -35. My contrast is at 1 and my brightness is at 2. Just play with the settings until you get a picture you like. Setting your gamma at 2.4 is a good start but all setting are really specific t your machine and viewing environment. I invested in a meter and software and am glad I did, it puts the image over the top and keeps it accurate as the bulb ages.

James Reid:D

Last edited by cardoski; 09-03-2014 at 11:57 AM.
cardoski is offline  
post #2246 of 2865 Old 09-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Member
 
Rokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
I had the 50ES and 3D performance was good. (left the PJ with the last house) Very little crosstalk on the Sony PS3 IR glasses and no warm-up time either. Contrast probably isn't as good as the JVC, and there is no motorized zoom, but the wife and I have been watching more and more 3D, so that has to be decent as well.

Interesting - so what projector are you watching your 3D on currently? I ask because you referred to the 50ES in the past tense. Also, I am currently looking at both the 40ES and 55ES, along with the Epson 6030. Is it fair to assume, at least from your experience, that 3D would be better on the Sony machines than the JVCs at start up (without a warm-up period)?
Rokker is offline  
post #2247 of 2865 Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokker View Post
Interesting - so what projector are you watching your 3D on currently? I ask because you referred to the 50ES in the past tense. Also, I am currently looking at both the 40ES and 55ES, along with the Epson 6030. Is it fair to assume, at least from your experience, that 3D would be better on the Sony machines than the JVCs at start up (without a warm-up period)?
Unfortunately nothing right now. I sold my house in GA (with the 50ES) and moved to NC. Building my 3rd theater and have been looking at both the 55ES or the 4910. I've never seen the JVCs in action so I'm not familiar with them, but I was very happy with the 50ES. 2D was great and I didn't think black levels were too bad, and 3D was good too. My screen was a Seymour XD and the PJ was about 15' back. With the PS3 IR glasses, the 3D nearly crosstalk free from start to finish, and we typically started watching something within 5 minutes of turning on the PJ.

Funny enough, had I not stumbled into this thread, I'd probably just have gone with a 55ES, but the manual zoom will be a challenge this time as the PJ will be about 4 feet behind my primary seating position. In my last theater, it was right above my head and so I could just stand up and adjust zoom as needed.

While I know there isn't a whole lot of 3D content out there, I'd hate to pay so much for a PJ and only get 2D out of it. If the 3D experience sucks, we'll never use it, and to me, that's a waste.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
blipszyc is online now  
post #2248 of 2865 Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Unfortunately nothing right now. I sold my house in GA (with the 50ES) and moved to NC. Building my 3rd theater and have been looking at both the 55ES or the 4910. I've never seen the JVCs in action so I'm not familiar with them, but I was very happy with the 50ES. 2D was great and I didn't think black levels were too bad, and 3D was good too. My screen was a Seymour XD and the PJ was about 15' back. With the PS3 IR glasses, the 3D nearly crosstalk free from start to finish, and we typically started watching something within 5 minutes of turning on the PJ.

Funny enough, had I not stumbled into this thread, I'd probably just have gone with a 55ES, but the manual zoom will be a challenge this time as the PJ will be about 4 feet behind my primary seating position. In my last theater, it was right above my head and so I could just stand up and adjust zoom as needed.

While I know there isn't a whole lot of 3D content out there, I'd hate to pay so much for a PJ and only get 2D out of it. If the 3D experience sucks, we'll never use it, and to me, that's a waste.

There is actually a ton of 3D content out today
blee0120 is online now  
post #2249 of 2865 Old 09-04-2014, 02:01 AM
Senior Member
 
mishari84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I set gamma at 2.4, brightness at 2. dark scenes are crushed, even at gamma 2.2. But in Gamma Grad option I can see much more details in dark scenes.

What is the best thing to do?
mishari84 is online now  
post #2250 of 2865 Old 09-04-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
There is actually a ton of 3D content out today
I should've said, 3D content I want to watch. Just because Godzilla and Transformers 4 are in 3D doesn't mean they'll grace my screen.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
blipszyc is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off