Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 405
[quote=cardoski;27603089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
What gain screen?[/QUOTE

Well I really like my unity screen so likely another unity, maybe a little gain. The walls and cieling will be completely velvet. Chances are i will be upgrading the JVC in the next 2 years with something brighter, but in case I want to have enough juice to light up a screen 150in. I am pretty sceptical it can, as my 115in screen is not overly bright.

I don't think the projector has enough brightness to light up a 150" diagonal scope unity gain screen. Some may think it is bright enough, but I don't.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2347 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Mike, it's a good thing you added that last part, otherwise you'd get the 2 or 3 people running a 150"+ wide screen coming in to tell people "it's definitely bright enough". But image brightness is very subjective and what is acceptable changes from person to person. I think it's important to make safe recommendations that apply to most people and that's exactly what you and most others do on this site. Some want to push the limits and tell people it's perfectly fine to run this, and other lower lumen output, projectors at absurdly large screen sizes when few would find the image bright enough.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 02:42 PM.
post #2343 of 2347 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 92
[quote=AV Science Sales 5;27603393]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I don't think the projector has enough brightness to light up a 150" diagonal scope unity gain screen. Some may think it is bright enough, but I don't.

That is what I thought, guess I will have to buy another X500 to put it in a stack . As I said, even in my current dark pit, my 115 unity screen is not overly bright. It is a little frustrating that the JVC can not go brighter, everything else about the image is excellent.

James Reid:D
post #2344 of 2347 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson Young View Post
The JVC remote works for me whether or not I am running iRule; JVC app, otoh, does not work when iRule is running.

For clarity, my JVC remote also works with iRule running or not. Its just when "lens control" is pressed the green grid appears then disappears. Its as if the PJREQ command that the JVC receives ever 4 secs from iRule cancels the lens control session, when iRule is not running the green grid stays on screen and I can zoom, focus or shift the image.
post #2345 of 2347 Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok i am in a dilemma, I wil be shooting a 138" diagonal 2.35 scope screen. I also like the unity gain screen for the uniformity. If I go for a studiotek 1.3, besides gaining brightness, what will I lose out going for a higher gain screen like 1.3
post #2346 of 2347 Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Stewart, among others, use an optical coating to get a higher gain from the screen. They use "sparkle" elements to help directionalize light to get a higher gain. In turn, on brighter scenes, these sparkle elements can be seen easily. By going with almost all higher than 1.0 gain screens you're looking at adding visual artifacts to the presentation. Some people are fine with that detriment for the added gain and others can't stand the artifacts created. I would get screen samples if you aren't aware of what I'm talking about. Sometimes the samples aren't really enough to give you perspective on whether or not the artifacts will annoy you enough to consider a unity gain or lower gain screen. So YMMV with the screen samples.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #2347 of 2347 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Mike, it's a good thing you added that last part, otherwise you'd get the 2 or 3 people running a 150"+ wide screen coming in to tell people "it's definitely bright enough". But image brightness is very subjective and what is acceptable changes from person to person. I think it's important to make safe recommendations that apply to most people and that's exactly what you and most others do on this site. Some want to push the limits and tell people it's perfectly fine to run this, and other lower lumen output, projectors at absurdly large screen sizes when few would find the image bright enough.
I agree Seegs. I think I would get myself into more trouble telling people that the projector would easily light up a 150" screen. For some it would be bright enough, but I think for the majority of people it would not be.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page