Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 81 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 277Likes

post #2401 of 3495 Old 09-28-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 421
The latest firmware has been out for a long time now. The 4910's get an extra QC check when they arrive in the US at the distributor so it would shock me if they didn't arrive at AVScience's warehouse with the latest firmware ready to go. If memory serves me correctly, AVScience also tests each individual projector to make sure it passes their own QC before it gets sent out to the customer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post
Is there an ETA for when AVS will be getting in the next batch of 4910's?

Also, was the first batch post-CEDIA up to date with FW off the truck, or did you guys have to update each one yourselves?
Projectors just came in. We have enough in stock to fill all orders and then some. Do you have one ordered? They do have latest firmware.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 09-29-2014 at 09:27 AM.
post #2403 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The latest firmware has been out for a long time now. The 4910's get an extra QC check when they arrive in the US at the distributor so it would shock me if they didn't arrive at AVScience's warehouse with the latest firmware ready to go. If memory serves me correctly, AVScience also tests each individual projector to make sure it passes their own QC before it gets sent out to the customer.
We only test the B-stock projectors. The A-stock is factory sealed. We only open A-stock if a new firmware comes out and the customers wants us to update projector before shipping.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2404 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
That is a large screen and your throw is pretty long, so you can use a lot of gain. Stewart Ultramatte 1.5 type gain and forget about 3D, unless you reduce the size of the image when watching 3D.
Thanks Mike.

How many feet back will be the projector be/throw distance for me in this type of setup?
I also thought that I have a flexible "range" of distance for the JVC 4910 projector distance/throw distance, correct?
post #2405 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post
Thanks Mike.

How many feet back will be the projector be/throw distance for me in this type of setup?
I also thought that I have a flexible "range" of distance for the JVC 4910 projector distance/throw distance, correct?
150" diagonal 2.35 is 138" wide. Minimum throw (governed by the fabric) using Ultramatte 150 is 17'-3" Maximum throw, when using lens memory is governed by the 58.75" heigh of the screen, 24'-9". So the range for you is 17'-3" to 24'-9".
asoofi1 and AXLCMT like this.

post #2406 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sent my 4910 in for repair due to bad optic block. JVC contacted me and said avscience would be sending me a new one. That was awhile ago. He said they were on backorder though. Any of you guys over at avscience know if my projector will be shipping soon out of the new bunch you just got in?
post #2407 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black93fiveO View Post
I sent my 4910 in for repair due to bad optic block. JVC contacted me and said avscience would be sending me a new one. That was awhile ago. He said they were on backorder though. Any of you guys over at avscience know if my projector will be shipping soon out of the new bunch you just got in?
Shoot me an email with the details and your contact information and I will check on this.

post #2408 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
150" diagonal 2.35 is 138" wide. Minimum throw (governed by the fabric) using Ultramatte 150 is 17'-3" Maximum throw, when using lens memory is governed by the 58.75" heigh of the screen, 24'-9". So the range for you is 17'-3" to 24'-9".
Mike - are you using the calculator on JVC's website for these? I'm thinking of doing a CIW setup with a 120" wide screen (138" diag 16x9, 130" scope). If I use that calc, looks like I have a range of 13-21 feet. To get the best brightness, I should keep it closer to the 13' range, correct?

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #2409 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Any chance of some of you X500 owners that have had your projectors calibrated posting some pictures please.

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2410 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Mike - are you using the calculator on JVC's website for these? I'm thinking of doing a CIW setup with a 120" wide screen (138" diag 16x9, 130" scope). If I use that calc, looks like I have a range of 13-21 feet. To get the best brightness, I should keep it closer to the 13' range, correct?
The closer the projector is towards the screen within your throw range, the brighter the picture.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #2411 of 3495 Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Projectors just came in. We have enough in stock to fill all orders and then some. Do you have one ordered? They do have latest firmware.
Great. Yeah, I ordered a couple weeks back.
Since I'm just down the thruway from Rochester, Should I be expecting it by the end of the week?
----------
Yikes! Just got the invoice and tracking #. It should be here tomorrow.

Unfortunately I ordered the wrong size of Redmere cable. I thought I could get by with 15' but it looks like I have to order way more than I need since they don't carry 20' or 25'.
I ordered this kind

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Hope that's the right one.

Till these show up, I should be able to get by with my old HDMI cable, shouldn't I?

Last edited by Paulidan; 09-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #2412 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Whats peoples take on getting one og these this year with 4k lurking?

Guess I need some advice. Upgrade my infocus sp8602?, which aside from black level, I am pretty happy with.

I can get it at a decent price but will i be looking at upgrading already next year ?

Pretty tempted right now maybe someone has been in this situation this year?
post #2413 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
No Brian, I am not just using the calculator. You can use it, but to do so for a 2.35 screen, you have to calculate the 16:9 throw based on the height of the 2.35 screen and use the farthest distance and that will be minimum throw based on the projector. Then use the width of the 2.35 screen (still in 16:9 setting on calculator). To get the shortest throw distance and that number will be the longest throw with the projector. Then you have to calculate the minimum throw based on the screen material that will be used. You do not use the calculator for that. You use the manufacturer's material specs and multiply by screen width. If this distance is longer than the projectors minimum throw number, then it is the new minimum throw distance.

post #2414 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Great. Yeah, I ordered a couple weeks back.
Since I'm just down the thruway from Rochester, Should I be expecting it by the end of the week?
----------
Yikes! Just got the invoice and tracking #. It should be here tomorrow.

Unfortunately I ordered the wrong size of Redmere cable. I thought I could get by with 15' but it looks like I have to order way more than I need since they don't carry 20' or 25'.
I ordered this kind

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Hope that's the right one.

Till these show up, I should be able to get by with my old HDMI cable, shouldn't I?
If the shorter cable reaches, then yes it should work as long as it can pass 1080P and 3D. As for 4K, I would not send that to the projector, I would let the projector do the up-scaling using E-shift.

post #2415 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually I since the m/p cables hadn't arrived yet, I just hooked up my 8 year old Blue Jeans HDMI cable and it seemed to work just fine.

Am I right in assuming that I'm not going to see any further benefit from changing cables other than things like less stress on the ports and being easier to snake along the wall?
post #2416 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Actually I since the m/p cables hadn't arrived yet, I just hooked up my 8 year old Blue Jeans HDMI cable and it seemed to work just fine.

Am I right in assuming that I'm not going to see any further benefit from changing cables other than things like less stress on the ports and being easier to snake along the wall?
Have you confirmed the cable can pass 3D? This is assuming you care about 3D.

post #2417 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the BJ cable hooked up and was trying out the 3D last night. It seemed like the crosstalk was more related to duty cycles, display calibration, and specific visual aspects (like dark figures on light backgrounds) than it was the cable.
post #2418 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I had the BJ cable hooked up and was trying out the 3D last night. It seemed like the crosstalk was more related to duty cycles, display calibration, and specific visual aspects (like dark figures on light backgrounds) than it was the cable.
If you are getting a 3D image and not losing sync, then the cable is fine.

post #2419 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Comparison with JVC DLA-RS1

Just received my post-CEDIA special DLA-RS4910 projector from AVS, as a replacement for my DLA-RS1 projector that's been hanging in my dedicated home theater for many years. I've been so satisfied with the RS1 performance (especially after adding a Darblet) that I haven't been compelled to upgrade for many years. Despite the coming of 4K, I finally succumbed to purchasing a new JVC projector, mostly to see if a dynamic iris and 3D would make much difference.

Our dedicated home theater has 100% light control, dark fabric-covered walls, and black velvet surrounding the screen wall -- so it's easy to appreciate the black levels of JVC projectors on my acoustically-transparent zero-gain SMX woven screen.

The bottom line: the RS4910 provides a better picture than the RS1, but it's not a huge difference unless you know what differences to look for. In fact, I imagine most people wouldn't notice that I swapped projectors. Maybe I just had a really good RS1 unit.

The e-shift 4K feature seems to be of minimal value. I can easily see when it's turned ON or OFF by looking at the thickness of projector menu text while sitting 11 feet away from a 9.5 foot wide 132" diagonal 16x9 screen (or test patterns when standing up close to the screen). However I can't see any difference when watching a movie or video.

The RS4910 fan is just as noisy when the bulb is on HIGH as the RS1. (I like to run it on HIGH because of the size of the screen.)

I do like the 1/16 pixel convergence controls of the RS4910 that allow perfect convergence edge-edge of the image. However, the RS1 convergence wasn't exactly bad.

The RS4910 does provide inky blacks with the dynamic iris, but the RS1 already provided deeper blacks than most movie theaters.

So all this might make you believe that I wasted the money on a projector upgrade, right?

Wrong. The 3D of the RS4910 is awesome!

I followed the advice of this forum and bought 6 pairs (since my theater has 6 seats) of the "Xpand EX105BT Active 3D Shutter Glasses and Bluetooth Emitter for Mitsubishi Televisions" for only $18.99 each on Amazon. With my non-polarized mesh screen the 3D effect is fabulous with no ghosting (Crosstalk setting = 0). I have to look really hard on animated movies with solid colors to see any ghosting whatsoever.

I've been buying the 3D versions of Blu-Ray movies (including IMAX movies) for the last few years in expectation of eventually getting a 3D projector, and now I'm finally getting to watch them in their 3D glory.
post #2420 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
Whats peoples take on getting one og these this year with 4k lurking?

Guess I need some advice. Upgrade my infocus sp8602?, which aside from black level, I am pretty happy with.

I can get it at a decent price but will i be looking at upgrading already next year ?

Pretty tempted right now maybe someone has been in this situation this year?

I'm guessing that true 4K projectors will remain expensive for several years, and that it will take a few years for 4K Blu Ray to gain traction. That's the best my crystal ball can see at this point. I'm still buying Blu Rays myself.
Seegs108 likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #2421 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'm guessing that true 4K projectors will remain expensive for several years, and that it will take a few years for 4K Blu Ray to gain traction. That's the best my crystal ball can see at this point. I'm still buying Blu Rays myself.
I think this is going to be the hardest thing for people to wrap around their heads. They're going to expect and want cheap 4K projectors right off the rip and they're going to be hugely disappointed. Like any new resolution change within the projector market, costs will remain high for a few years before we start to see the market shift from little to no compromise projectors to the cheaper ones that have compromises that make them cheaper. What people don't know is that, more than likely, the nicer $4000+ 1080p projectors will actually have better picture quality than their cheaper sub $2000 4K projectors. We see that with cheapo 1080p and high end 720p models. For instance, a 720p Sim2 or 720p Marantz DLP projector will have much better picture quality than an $800 1080p DLP projector.

People need to stop worrying about resolution and focus on what makes an image look good. Resolution of panel, especially now that we already have high resolution 1080p panels, isn't going to matter as much as other aspects of the projector. Things like on/off and ANSI contrast, lumen output, lens quality, processing, ect all matter more than resolution at this point in time. There are several reviewers out there that argue a dialed in JVC looks better to their eyes compared to the Sony 4K units. That ties into what I'm talking about. Aspects other than resolution seem to matter more. The simple jump from 1080p to 4K is going to be less than 720p to 1080p. It's going to become increasingly more difficult for our eyes to see a huge difference as the pixel count goes up.
ScottJ and curlyjive like this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #2422 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Comparison with Pioneer FPJ-1

Very interesting uberanalyst. That is pretty much the exact same post I've been working on since getting mine yesterday.
The only difference is I was "upgrading" from a Pioneer FPJ-1 (RS 2 clone). Like you, I've been enormously satisfied with the image I get from the Pioneer. barring any mechanical failure, I was hoping to keep using it for many, many years having just bought a new bulb for it a year ago.
I also have ideal conditions (dark walls, black velvet surrounding the screen), and have never felt wanting for black levels. Ever.

On just about every point I experienced the same thing you did.
For the most part any differences with much newer tech was simply a wash.
The one immediately obvious, net positive for me was the out-of-the-box color on the 4910. I had gotten used to the incorrect color/over saturation on the Pioneer and even started to appreciate the look to the point I was a little concerned that a slightly more accurate PJ was going to seem...boring.
But that's not the case. I appreciate the color here (uncalibrated) far more than any improvement to be found with the black levels.

As for noise levels- in low lamp/low power this is whisper quiet.
High lamp/high fan is just a bit louder than my Pioneer was in low. Next to the color differences, this was the next most noticeable improvement with the 4910 for me.

As for 3D, I used Estars with the Estar emitter the first night and struggled quite a bit getting them up and running and then trying to dial in a good balance between enough brightness and a minimum of xtalk. Ultimately I was willing to sacrifice a good bit of brightness to improve the ghosting/xtalk. I was encouraged by the results, but still disappointed.
The second night I tried a pair of Xpands with their emitter and the results were exactly in line with what you experienced. Huge improvement across the board!
I know there are 3D aficionados here that won't tolerate any ghosting or xtalk.
For me, that <5% slippage is easily more than compensated by all the other superior aspects of the image- especially the inky blacks and excellent shadow detail.

So yeah, just like you I have no regrets whatsoever (yet) in this upgrade.
And it's going to be great to have an above average spare in reserve, if that need ever comes.

Last edited by Paulidan; 10-02-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #2423 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am failing to find the following information on this site.... If there is a good write up somewhere, spare the typing and just shoot me a link.

So I am in the process of designing my home theatre and I would like to better understand projector placement. I already purchased a 16:9 Stewart Firehawk screen that is 123ft diagonal. The X500R is pretty high on my list and is what I will probably go with. My room is 14ft wide by 27ft deep. I can place the projector either 10ft in front of the screen or a range of 16ft to 27ft. Is there a recommended placement distance? Does it zoom in and out to compensate for the placement and the respective screen size. I would assume the further you place the screen back the dimmer the image will be, correct?

I have never owned a projector so I have no clue on how this works.... Thanks!
post #2424 of 3495 Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No Brian, I am not just using the calculator. You can use it, but to do so for a 2.35 screen, you have to calculate the 16:9 throw based on the height of the 2.35 screen and use the farthest distance and that will be minimum throw based on the projector. Then use the width of the 2.35 screen (still in 16:9 setting on calculator). To get the shortest throw distance and that number will be the longest throw with the projector. Then you have to calculate the minimum throw based on the screen material that will be used. You do not use the calculator for that. You use the manufacturer's material specs and multiply by screen width. If this distance is longer than the projectors minimum throw number, then it is the new minimum throw distance.
If I go with CIW setup, wont the 16x9 and 2:35 width's be the same? I can then use my screen width (120") to calculate a throw distance of about 14'.

post #2425 of 3495 Old 10-02-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberanalyst View Post

So all this might make you believe that I wasted the money on a projector upgrade, right?

Wrong. The 3D of the RS4910 is awesome!

I followed the advice of this forum and bought 6 pairs (since my theater has 6 seats) of the "Xpand EX105BT Active 3D Shutter Glasses and Bluetooth Emitter for Mitsubishi Televisions" for only $18.99 each on Amazon. With my non-polarized mesh screen the 3D effect is fabulous with no ghosting (Crosstalk setting = 0). I have to look really hard on animated movies with solid colors to see any ghosting whatsoever.

I've been buying the 3D versions of Blu-Ray movies (including IMAX movies) for the last few years in expectation of eventually getting a 3D projector, and now I'm finally getting to watch them in their 3D glory.
Tried the Xpands last night and it was a night and day difference over the Estars with this projector. I thought for sure there was no way the Xpands at less than 1/3 the cost of the EStars could be anywhere as good. Turns out they work substantially better.
Considering that the JVC is widely known to be one of the weaker solutions for 3D, I'm extremely impressed with what I'm seeing.
At this point I am definitely happy that I went this route.
post #2426 of 3495 Old 10-02-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
If I go with CIW setup, wont the 16x9 and 2:35 width's be the same? I can then use my screen width (120") to calculate a throw distance of about 14'.
Yes correct. Sorry, I saw 2.35 and glossed right over the CIW part of your post. For CIW, you can just use Projector Central's calculator for throw distance, though I would not use it for Foot Lambert calculations. I find it too far off for many projectors.

post #2427 of 3495 Old 10-02-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes correct. Sorry, I saw 2.35 and glossed right over the CIW part of your post. For CIW, you can just use Projector Central's calculator for throw distance, though I would not use it for Foot Lambert calculations. I find it too far off for many projectors.
I was referring to this calculator - http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_REF.html. Seems to be specific to JVC units and has both 16x9 and 2:35 settings.

post #2428 of 3495 Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rosser Byorick View Post
I am failing to find the following information on this site.... If there is a good write up somewhere, spare the typing and just shoot me a link.

So I am in the process of designing my home theatre and I would like to better understand projector placement. I already purchased a 16:9 Stewart Firehawk screen that is 123ft diagonal. The X500R is pretty high on my list and is what I will probably go with. My room is 14ft wide by 27ft deep. I can place the projector either 10ft in front of the screen or a range of 16ft to 27ft. Is there a recommended placement distance? Does it zoom in and out to compensate for the placement and the respective screen size. I would assume the further you place the screen back the dimmer the image will be, correct?

I have never owned a projector so I have no clue on how this works.... Thanks!
Yes, and in fact, you can use the calc that was just linked above to mess with your throw distances respective to needed screen size:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_REF.html

Looks like you can be anywhere from 12 to 24 feet, but yes, the closer the better.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #2429 of 3495 Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I fired up my 4910 last night for some 3D viewing. I watched a few minutes of Netflix 3D with various movies and it was great. Then I did a few minutes of Avatar. Great. A few with Pacific Rim. Great. Then about 20 minutes of Star Trek Into the Darkness which I hadn't enjoyed with my RS45 even though the 45 did a good job with the first 2. I am using the original IR setup JVC emitter with Xpand 105 glasses. At crosstalk set to -3, I had a very good image.

Today, I returned to the Star Trek disc because my interest was renewed last night. Wow, on warmup, the image was terrible. I have had trouble with warmup with my 45, so I adjusted crosstalk to -6 and dealt with it. After 30 minutes, the image improved, but it was not nearly as solid as last night. More ghosting with this movie today than last night.

Anyone else had the experience of their 3D varying from day to day?

I have read about best 3D glasses for JVCs on the thread of that name and I am going to try out the BT glasses and emitter from Xpand and see how crosstalk is.
post #2430 of 3495 Old 10-02-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I was referring to this calculator - http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_REF.html. Seems to be specific to JVC units and has both 16x9 and 2:35 settings.
That one is fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page