Forum Jump: 
 183Likes

Old 10-27-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It may also be that a lot of these jvc units vary quite a bit in brightness, just look at arts review of the 4910 nearly 1200 lumens and others coming in at 7 or 800 lumens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
The 6 or 7 i've calibrated this year were all basically the same, I have another one I'm looking at tonight to compare against the VW1100. I'll post some calibration info in the shootout thread.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Also different screens and personal taste come into play, I have guests over that do not think the image is dull but personally I want it to burn my eyes out.lol

I really need to get a light meter to go with my i1display pro.

James Reid:D
Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
It may also be that a lot of these jvc units vary quite a bit in brightness, just look at arts review of the 4910 nearly 1200 lumens and others coming in at 7 or 800 lumens
Do you have a link? I have not seen any 700/800 lumen reviews. Only review that I know of that was out of line with everything I have seen is Art's review and it was on the high side.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I measured my JVC X500 last night. I got 947 lumens in high lamp, and 635 lumens in low lamp. The lens was at max zoom. The bulb has 5 hours on it. This is a non-calibrated unit. I'm waiting to get some more hours on the unit before I attempt a calibration. I would be astonished if Art really got that much from an X500 in a relatively color accurate mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!

For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Seegs108 I sure wish I had the money to buy that Planar. Specially since it is a hot rod version.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 327
It's a great unit. If you know anyone who might be interested be sure to send them my way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!

For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
i'm not sure the 1200 is believable and the 700/800 range is low.

I just did a quick D65 cal on the 4910, 0 hours on the lamp, it's ~ 930 @ 17 feet from the 142" in high lamp. This is basically the same as all the other that were here this year.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had one of the earlier 4910 units and mine was in the 780s range, maybe I'm wrong but I thought a lot of these units varied quite a bit.

Mike who ended up buying arts review unit? Wasn't that one of your open boxes that you sent him?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
I had one of the earlier 4910 units and mine was in the 780s range, maybe I'm wrong but I thought a lot of these units varied quite a bit.

Mike who ended up buying arts review unit? Wasn't that one of your open boxes that you sent him?
A customer purchased it open box and then he reported having a problem with it and it was exchanged. So it was sent back to JVC.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I now have over 2600 hrs on my X500, curious if anyone has more or what the average is? What is crazy about this is I spent a lot of time at camp in the summer.
Quote:
2nd bulb, 1st bulb I changed at 1600 hrs but I used it in Hi lamp the entire time. When I changed it I was getting 11ftl according to my i1display pro. This bulb has been on low lamp and at the 1004 hr mark it still seems bright enough in low lamp for most content. I am on a unity screen in a black pit at 16ft.

On a side note, this projector needs more Lumens, it is spectacular otherwise as all of us owners know. But 3-400 more calibrated Lumens and this projector hits a grand slam.
Greetings,

I am at just over 1500 hours on the original lamp which is primarily used in low lamp with the exception being 3D. I am getting somewhere around 18 to 20 ftl which after coming from the bulb issues of the RS50/55 series is remarkable.

I can't imagine how you put so many hours on your projector..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I am at just over 1500 hours on the original lamp which is primarily used in low lamp with the exception being 3D. I am getting somewhere around 18 to 20 ftl which after coming from the bulb issues of the RS50/55 series is remarkable.

Regards,

Well I was one of the first owners and I use my PJ for all my viewing, I treat it like a TV. I have a lot of time on my hands so I watch a lot of movies and sports. I actually watched the entire run of GOT twice this year,lol. I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees and hip, plus degenerating discs in my back, that is why I have so much time, specially when it is cold.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by cardoski; 10-28-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Well I was one of the first owners and I use my PJ for all my viewing, I treat it like a TV. I have a lot of time on my hands so I watch a lot of movies and sports. I actually watched the entire run of GOT twice this year,lol. I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees and hip, plus degenerating discs in my back, that is why I have so much time.
Sorry to hear about your health issues.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=AV Science Sales 5;28603513]Sorry to hear about your health issues.[/QUOTE

It's not all bad, just sometimes. Having a HT helps a lot as does the community here. I look at it has a legit reason to watch a lot of movies.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Regards,
What gain screen do you have?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The 6 or 7 i've calibrated this year were all basically the same, I have another one I'm looking at tonight to compare against the VW1100. I'll post some calibration info in the shootout thread.
Let us know when you do post that info. I'm curious to know what HDMI mode you are using and what you landed on for brightness/contrast, gamma, and starting modes.

I found that if I use HDMI standard with brightness and contrast at 0, I get more light than if I go with enhanced and adjust brightness and contrast to match with clipping at 235. Odd. I also find I can only resolve down to digital 17 in enhanced....if I try doing so in standard mode and raise the brightness I have to go up enough clicks that the black floor is raised. The image looks better trading some light for shadow detail though.

I also cannot get white point set right with out making massive changes to green as there is way more green than red or blue. I end up reducing brightness and crushing blacks. Or I have to try to use the 3 band gamma settings which is a push a pull fight as they overlap each other quite a bit.

Last edited by curlyjive; 10-28-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
What gain screen do you have?
Greetings,

I have the Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 which has a gain of 1.3.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-28-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
i'm not sure the 1200 is believable and the 700/800 range is low.

I just did a quick D65 cal on the 4910, 0 hours on the lamp, it's ~ 930 @ 17 feet from the 142" in high lamp. This is basically the same as all the other that were here this year.

The 4910 I had measured 937 foot lamberts with a new lamp.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I don't know if anyone else has seen the latest news from SpectraCal:

We are unable to support 2014 JVC models at this time due to unreliable communications protocols with the devices' current firmware.

I wonder if JVC (one of SpectraCal's "partners") is even aware of this situation...it's like pulling teeth to get current information out of SpectraCal. It sure seems like a big cop-out for SpectraCal to just give up on supporting one of CalMAN's premiere features on the current crop of JVC projectors.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I don't know if anyone else has seen the latest news from SpectraCal:

We are unable to support 2014 JVC models at this time due to unreliable communications protocols with the devices' current firmware.

I wonder if JVC (one of SpectraCal's "partners") is even aware of this situation...it's like pulling teeth to get current information out of SpectraCal. It sure seems like a big cop-out for SpectraCal to just give up on supporting one of CalMAN's premiere features on the current crop of JVC projectors.

That sucks, only reason I bought Calman was to take advantage of the autocal feature with my X500. I would have just stuck with HCFR otherwise.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That sucks, only reason I bought Calman was to take advantage of the autocal feature with my X500. I would have just stuck with HCFR otherwise.
I have an earlier version of CalMAN whose autocal feature worked great with my RS4810. However, seeing how long it took last year for SpectraCal to get autocal working with the 2013 projectors, I (unusually) had enough sense to hold off upgrading my CalMAN license this year until they'd officially announced support for the current JVC crop. Hopefully autocal still coming, but this latest news doesn't look very promising.

Still, they'd all but promised support on their forums for current JVC projectors, so I'd be pissed if I'd banked on that promise and bought CalMAN anticipating autocal support that may never come.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the latest is that SpectraCal is pointing the finger at JVC:

We have worked with JVC each year on the changing protocols. This year we asked for many changes and got them. But the reliability still was not there. Values written and values read did not always happen. I spent more time on this years models than previous years trying various workarounds. But in the end we "SpectraCal" are not able to make the protocol reliable. We can only work with what we are given.

They "JVC" have been told where we left off. All our code is written. If they come out with a fix then we are ready.

Is there any way to get JVC's feedback on this? If what SpectraCal says is true, I think it's a bit premature for JVC to quit refining their communication protocols given that the current projector line-up will remain current for another year.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Well, the latest is that SpectraCal is pointing the finger at JVC:

We have worked with JVC each year on the changing protocols. This year we asked for many changes and got them. But the reliability still was not there. Values written and values read did not always happen. I spent more time on this years models than previous years trying various workarounds. But in the end we "SpectraCal" are not able to make the protocol reliable. We can only work with what we are given.

They "JVC" have been told where we left off. All our code is written. If they come out with a fix then we are ready.

Is there any way to get JVC's feedback on this? If what SpectraCal says is true, I think it's a bit premature for JVC to quit refining their communication protocols given that the current projector line-up will remain current for another year.

Agree, in fact I am hoping JVC gives us a firmware that addresses some of the issues mentioned in this forum.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

I will see what I can find out.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I will see what I can find out.
Greetings,

Thanks Mike. I agree that this really is unacceptable..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Thanks Mike for looking into this. If JVC has a bug in their communication protocols and they are a Spectracal partner, they need to fix it.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The " Cedia Special " sale ends this week - just FYI. If you've been on the fence about getting an RS4910 - now is a good time !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Let us know when you do post that info. I'm curious to know what HDMI mode you are using and what you landed on for brightness/contrast, gamma, and starting modes.

I found that if I use HDMI standard with brightness and contrast at 0, I get more light than if I go with enhanced and adjust brightness and contrast to match with clipping at 235. Odd. I also find I can only resolve down to digital 17 in enhanced....if I try doing so in standard mode and raise the brightness I have to go up enough clicks that the black floor is raised. The image looks better trading some light for shadow detail though.

I also cannot get white point set right with out making massive changes to green as there is way more green than red or blue. I end up reducing brightness and crushing blacks. Or I have to try to use the 3 band gamma settings which is a push a pull fight as they overlap each other quite a bit.
Every time I've talked to the folks at Spectracal they've said that adjusting the brightness and contrast using the enhanced mode throws the gamma way off and creates other issues. I've just been using standard since then and have found other ways to overcome the loss in shadow detail.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Old 10-29-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Every time I've talked to the folks at Spectracal they've said that adjusting the brightness and contrast using the enhanced mode throws the gamma way off and creates other issues. I've just been using standard since then and have found other ways to overcome the loss in shadow detail.
Have you given it a shot? From my own testing, I found that gamma was pretty much the same either way. I needed to start with a custom 2.4 and drop tone -3 and dark +2 to get a target curve of about 2.35 with a slight dip to 2.3ish at 5-10%. I was able to achieve this pretty easily in either standard or enhanced. I DID have a really hard time getting 17 and 18 to resolve using standard without bumping brightness up to a point where the black floor was raised, where as this did not occur in enhanced. On the flip side, I lost about about 1 FtL even with each set to clip at 235.

Grayscale tracks pretty much the same in either as well...with green on my lamp being way to high and needing to be dropped some -20 clicks on the high end and -10 on the low end which is making it hard to not drop lumens or crush detail. I didn't have this issue with the original lamp, but have seen it in two replacements.

Did Spectracal say what else enhanced messes up?
Kris Deering likes this.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
This with with the older models, not this years, which features a significantly different gamma setup. I was planning on putting a new bulb in my projector in the next week and dialing it in. I'll give your stuff a try and see how it turns out.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup

Tags
Jvc