158Likes

post #2851 of 2876 Old 11-21-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Everyone,
My 4910 will not arrive until Wednesday, due to the snowstorm, and I won't get home until Wednesday evening to hook it up.Thursday's the big day, everyone's coming over to eat and watch a movie...no pressure ..so are there any OOTB settings that I can do that will help knock their socks off until I can read the manual and experiment for my self?
I have a 106" 1.3 gain screen painted all around with the blackest black I could find. My room is light controlled. I'll be coming out of a OPPO 105D directly into the projector..thanks in advance for any suggestions.
BTW, I'm coming from a Marantz-11S2 so I'm excited to see the differences.
Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2876 Old 11-21-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post
Hi Everyone,
My 4910 will not arrive until Wednesday, due to the snowstorm, and I won't get home until Wednesday evening to hook it up.Thursday's the big day, everyone's coming over to eat and watch a movie...no pressure ..so are there any OOTB settings that I can do that will help knock their socks off until I can read the manual and experiment for my self?
I have a 106" 1.3 gain screen painted all around with the blackest black I could find. My room is light controlled. I'll be coming out of a OPPO 105D directly into the projector..thanks in advance for any suggestions.
BTW, I'm coming from a Marantz-11S2 so I'm excited to see the differences.
Warren
Warren, I will email you settings.

Added
Done.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2853 of 2876 Old 11-21-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Mike,

Would you please email me some setting recommendations as well. I've got the 4910 set up and have been enjoying it with OOTB setting but would like to know if it can get even better with some minor tweaking. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 2
post #2854 of 2876 Old 11-21-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmnkee3 View Post
Hi Mike,

Would you please email me some setting recommendations as well. I've got the 4910 set up and have been enjoying it with OOTB setting but would like to know if it can get even better with some minor tweaking. Thanks!

Shoot me an email and I will.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2855 of 2876 Old 11-21-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmnkee3 View Post
Hi Mike,

Sent.

post #2856 of 2876 Old 11-21-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Added
Done.
I just printed them out..Many, many thanks Mike..
post #2857 of 2876 Old 11-21-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ahoy Mike,

Any chance I could also get these settings?

Cheers
post #2858 of 2876 Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Added
Done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voona View Post
Ahoy Mike,

Cheers
Can I get them as well. Hoping to hang my 4910 this weekend!

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #2859 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by voona View Post
Ahoy Mike,

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Can I get them as well. Hoping to hang my 4910 this weekend!
Send me an email requesting, so that I can just reply with attachment.
mishari84 likes this.

post #2860 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hi Mike, are these the same as the one Craig sent me?
post #2861 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx View Post
Just send him an email, he will reply to you in no time. Thanks Mike
post #2862 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx View Post
Yes.

post #2863 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if JVC is going to have any black Friday sales on their projectors? Kinda of like the sale sony had on some of their projectors a few weeks ago.
post #2864 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 05:35 PM

I've finally set my new X500 projector up on a 138" 2.35 fixed / 140" 16:9 electric screen. It's great, but I've noticed that during dark scenes, and particularly with the end movie credits the brightness pulses very noticeably. The white of the credits writing dims right off if there is only a line or 2 of writing on the screen. The more credits and writing that either scroll up or appear on the screen the better the brightness becomes and as more / less credits come on screen it's like the projector can't juggle the contrast so it pulses / dims / brightens the screen.
I have it running in Low power mode with natural picture and clear black on low. Brightness on -2, Contrast on 0 and Colour on 6.
I've tried High power mode, changing the brightness and contrast and clear black levels but keep getting the same pulse effect.
If anyone knows what might be up, or if I should chase up warranty I'd really appreciate your advice
Cheers
post #2865 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Thanks Mike. Got 'em!

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #2866 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzboy View Post
I've finally set my new X500 projector up on a 138" 2.35 fixed / 140" 16:9 electric screen. It's great, but I've noticed that during dark scenes, and particularly with the end movie credits the brightness pulses very noticeably. The white of the credits writing dims right off if there is only a line or 2 of writing on the screen. The more credits and writing that either scroll up or appear on the screen the better the brightness becomes and as more / less credits come on screen it's like the projector can't juggle the contrast so it pulses / dims / brightens the screen.
I have it running in Low power mode with natural picture and clear black on low. Brightness on -2, Contrast on 0 and Colour on 6.
I've tried High power mode, changing the brightness and contrast and clear black levels but keep getting the same pulse effect.
If anyone knows what might be up, or if I should chase up warranty I'd really appreciate your advice
Cheers
This sounds like common pumping of the dynamic iris. What is your lens aperture set to? The options are Manual, Auto 1, and Auto 2. If you are in the auto modes, the aperture will close down during darker scenes and open during brighter scenes. It is not noticeable most of the time except during credits, where it exhibits the properties you've observed. If it bothers you enough, you can set the aperture to Manual, which disables the dynamic iris. If that doesn't solve the problem, then you must have something else going on.
post #2867 of 2876 Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Cheers
That's the dynamic iris. Turning it off will eliminate the things you described.
post #2868 of 2876 Old 11-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstach500 View Post
This sounds like common pumping of the dynamic iris. What is your lens aperture set to? The options are Manual, Auto 1, and Auto 2. If you are in the auto modes, the aperture will close down during darker scenes and open during brighter scenes. It is not noticeable most of the time except during credits, where it exhibits the properties you've observed. If it bothers you enough, you can set the aperture to Manual, which disables the dynamic iris. If that doesn't solve the problem, then you must have something else going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
That's the dynamic iris. Turning it off will eliminate the things you described.
Thanks very much for the advice I will try it. I have it set to Auto 1 I think, I'll change it tonight and see what I prefer.
THANK YOU
post #2869 of 2876 Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Thanks very much for the advice I will try it. I have it set to Auto 1 I think, I'll change it tonight and see what I prefer.
THANK YOU

When it is happening, look sideways across the lens (so you don't blind yourself by looking directly into to) and you will likely see the IRIS opening and closing.
post #2870 of 2876 Old 11-24-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Cheers

My advise - stopping watching credits ! Seriously, many projectors with dynamic iris's do this. The movie is over though. IMO what happens when watching the credits doesn't count.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #2871 of 2876 Old 11-24-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Cheers
I am looking at the same projector with a slightly smaller screen size 133" 16:9. I have a light controlled room as well.
I would love to know the projection distance you have. Also, what your seating configuration / distance to viewing position?

Thanks,
Michael[/SIZE][/SIZE]
post #2872 of 2876 Old 11-24-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Help needed .....I've finally got my RS4910 set up tonight. Blu ray plays well although I haven't got to the 'nitty gritty' of it yet, however, the PS4 is a different issue.
When in menu screens it's fine, but when playing games (FIFA & COD) it looks terrible. The image is almost 'laggy', it's not defined that well and literally unplayable...I am at a complete loss at what it could be, but my old InFoucus IN82 didn't have any of these issues. Any ideas? Could be a frame rate issue?

Also, I presume the lens memory function is how I change aspect ratio, as the 'aspect' option on the menu is greyed out, although it says in the manual to press it to change ratios?

Last edited by Yukichon; 11-24-2014 at 09:39 PM.
post #2873 of 2876 Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post
Help needed .....I've finally got my RS4910 set up tonight. Blu ray plays well although I haven't got to the 'nitty gritty' of it yet, however, the PS4 is a different issue.
When in menu screens it's fine, but when playing games (FIFA & COD) it looks terrible. The image is almost 'laggy', it's not defined that well and literally unplayable...I am at a complete loss at what it could be, but my old InFoucus IN82 didn't have any of these issues. Any ideas? Could be a frame rate issue?

Also, I presume the lens memory function is how I change aspect ratio, as the 'aspect' option on the menu is greyed out, although it says in the manual to press it to change ratios?
The lens function is for lens shift and focus memory if you are using the "zoom" method to show anamorphic content on an anamorphic/scope/2.35:1 screen. It is not for changing the aspect ratio of the digital signal. Your PS4 should be showing a 1080p/60 signal in 16:9 format. There should be an info or display button on the remote that will show you on screen what the input signal is coming in at.
post #2874 of 2876 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post
The lens function is for lens shift and focus memory if you are using the "zoom" method to show anamorphic content on an anamorphic/scope/2.35:1 screen. It is not for changing the aspect ratio of the digital signal. Your PS4 should be showing a 1080p/60 signal in 16:9 format. There should be an info or display button on the remote that will show you on screen what the input signal is coming in at.
If it isnt, as i know that it is showing on a film (the pj) '4k2k 24' which i presume is 24 fps, what should i do to adjust so that the PJ is displaying at 60fps as well?
post #2875 of 2876 Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post
Are you saying the PS4 image looks distorted? This year's models including the 4910 have a very high input lag of around 120-130ms whereas your IN82 is in the 16-32ms range (nearly imperceptible). If you want to game in your theater, I recommend using a second projector such as your IN82. I have a dual setup, 4910 plus a Misubishi HC7900 DLP for gaming, kids/wife casual TV and for mid/high APL content.

You can try turning off the CMD frame interpolation to reduce the lag by about a frame's worth (16ms) to the lower ~120ms

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC

Last edited by jjcook; Yesterday at 08:52 AM. Reason: CMD
post #2876 of 2876 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Are you saying the PS4 image looks distorted? This year's models including the 4910 have a very high input lag of around 120-130ms whereas your IN82 is in the 16-32ms range (nearly imperceptible). If you want to game in your theater, I recommend using a second projector such as your IN82. I have a dual setup, 4910 plus a Misubishi HC7900 DLP for gaming, kids/wife casual TV and for mid/high APL content.

You can try turning off the CMD frame interpolation to reduce the lag by about a frame's worth (16ms) to the lower ~120ms
Thanks for the response. Shame, I didn't know this PJ would have so much trouble with the gaming consoles. Will leave it in the living room for now on the Sony TV and stick to tv & film in the HT
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page