post #2881 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2014 View Post
Seegs 108, I understand what you are trying to say but I disagree with you.

Quality control on the latest series of JVC projectors has been clearly lacking. JVC shipped out units not properly programmed and with HDMI, RS-232 and LAN issues that should never have happened. On top of that, JVC advertises that it does do 3D 2.35:1 vertical stretching for use with an anamorphic lens. As has been widely reported and confirmed by JVC reps and technicians, it does not do this correctly, creating distorted motions and artifacts that for many of us led to nausea and an inability to watch this in this v-stretched format. JVC promised a firmware update back in February of 2014. Despite many requests including by AVS forum (Mike) this has STILL NOT been fixed. There is no firmware update to address this, JVC has gone silent on this issue and Mendtronix told me as late as September that they are not aware of a fix for this. The only work around is to let an external device do the 3D vertical stretching which I had to resort to out of complete frustration.

Despite the firmware upgrades earlier this year, several users still report quirks and occasional issues with the communication with the projector. This is what Spectracal has also experienced with the new projectors for the first time in a long partnership with JVC. If you talk to them they will tell you that the communication is not stable and there is some fundamental issue that is still causing problems where there shouldn't be and it can't be fixed by Spectracal.

In my view, the poor quality control of the first batch of last years projectors, the slow response to creating firmware solutions (it took 6 months to address some of the big ones), a much too complicated and problematic firmware upgrade process, and still today there are issues with the projectors INCLUDING advertised features. Since June of this year there seems to be complete radio silence on new firmwares and it looks like JVC has moved on to the next generation of projectors instead of fixing the issues that remain.

This all might sound harsh but as a loyal JVC projector buyer since 2007, this is all very disappointing to me.
This all comes down to JVC is struggelig heavily finacially and don´t have the resources to fix this (I think), and those of you who are waiting for a laser 4K model from JVC next year or even just a 4K model will be disappionted (I think). I really hope JVC will come with a 4K laser next year, but to think this is a lot like dreaming I am afraid.

But I also think the quality control of this years model is much better than the earlier years as I have heard from a calibrator who calibrates a lot of JVC for the biggest projector store in Norway. He says there is much better quality on this years models and he rearly has to send any in return begause of major faults, with the earlier models this happened quite often.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I find this SpectraCal / CalMAN situation very frustrating also. After all, SpectraCal lists JVC as one of their "partners" on the CalMAN website which, given the current state of autocal support with the current JVC models, is disingenuous at best.

Hoping autocal will work with next year's JVCs isn't a realistic solution as most of us hang on to our projectors for more than one model cycle. Nor is buying a $500 used processor that won't even support 3D (since neither the XD nor the iScan Duo do).
The XD supports 3D.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #2883 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I have been trying to figure a way to buy an Iscan duo for calibration , but that is a lot of money to spend on a box that does not support 4K. I get that it is expensive to play with the big boys and toys, but spending another $999 Canadian on a box so I can get a feature that should already be functional on my very expensive PJ really grinds my gears. I know boo hoo, I am spoiled just to have a JVC, but still......

James Reid:D
post #2884 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have been trying to figure a way to buy an Iscan duo for calibration , but that is a lot of money to spend on a box that does not support 4K. I get that it is expensive to play with the big boys and toys, but spending another $999 Canadian on a box so I can get a feature that should already be functional on my very expensive PJ really grinds my gears. I know boo hoo, I am spoiled just to have a JVC, but still......
Not to derail the discussion, but if I wanted to spend that much on a VP with CMS, I would look for a used Lumagen Mini3D (I am OK with not having a lot of inputs).
(That said, used Duos can be had for half the price, but with a lot fewer features and compare to Lumagen a very poor tech support.)

_____
Axel
(a very happy owner of a Mini3D and RS4910)

post #2885 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Not to derail the discussion, but if I wanted to spend that much on a VP with CMS, I would look for a used Lumagen Mini3D (I am OK with not having a lot of inputs).
(That said, used Duos can be had for half the price, but with a lot fewer features and compare to Lumagen a very poor tech support.)

_____
Axel
(a very happy owner of a Mini3D and RS4910)
Been looking at the mini as well, again no 4K. I am sure I can get a used one but they are discontinued now. I think I will just stick to manually calibrating as I do now. Maybe I will save for a Lumagen with 4k support.

Aside from that amazing image on these PJs.

post #2886 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Been looking at the mini as well, again no 4K. I am sure I can get a used one but they are discontinued now. I think I will just stick to manually calibrating as I do now. Maybe I will save for a Lumagen with 4k support.

Aside from that amazing image on these PJs.
That does not mean that used ones are no longer available .

I have decided to wait until native 4k material and sources becomes widely available, before I upgrade to a 4k Lumagen.
____
Axel

post #2887 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2014 View Post
Hi Mike, did you ever get an answer from JVC regarding a firmware update or any other solution to SpectraCal autocal not working with the last series of JVC projectors including my 4910. I spoke with SpectraCal today and they confirmed they can not fix this without JVC and they have stopped working on it completely and will not resume this absent of any JVC solution. They indicated they will skip this generation and restart work on a next generation of JVC projectors.

This is in my view unacceptable given that the current lineup will stay for quite some time and has been already on the market for a year.

Can you get any answers or commitments from JVC?
From my understanding, the problem is not all JVC. The way this has been going, I don't expect there to be a fix.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2888 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
This all comes down to JVC is struggelig heavily finacially and don´t have the resources to fix this (I think), and those of you who are waiting for a laser 4K model from JVC next year or even just a 4K model will be disappionted (I think). I really hope JVC will come with a 4K laser next year, but to think this is a lot like dreaming I am afraid.

But I also think the quality control of this years model is much better than the earlier years as I have heard from a calibrator who calibrates a lot of JVC for the biggest projector store in Norway. He says there is much better quality on this years models and he rearly has to send any in return begause of major faults, with the earlier models this happened quite often.
Any links to support the statement that JVC is heavily struggling? I have not seen anything to indicate this.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2889 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Any links to support the statement that JVC is heavily struggling? I have not seen anything to indicate this.
Same here. I'm always reading of Sony struggles.

post #2890 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
I don't see it that way at all. JVC has already made some hints about next year (at CEDIA and to a magazine) and what they are looking into. I think the reason there is no new JVC product this year is because their resources are dedicated to new platforms for next year.

post #2891 of 2983 Old 11-27-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How would upscaling on an external VP compare to internal scaling? Would it be as big of a difference as it is on true 4K devices or would the difference become smeared due to eshift? I'm not understanding how "aware" the eshift is of the extra information contained in 4k inputs.
post #2892 of 2983 Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I don't see it that way at all. JVC has already made some hints about next year (at CEDIA and to a magazine) and what they are looking into. I think the reason there is no new JVC product this year is because their resources are dedicated to new platforms for next year.
JVC and all of the other manufacturer's except Sony do not have any access to 4K content. Also full spec HDMI 2.0 chips were not available for this year. So to JVC it probably did not make sense to bring out a new product. Also JVC makes a lot more money with their larger pro projectors for business use. The HT market is a small market for them. From all indications that I have seen, JVC is doing well. Have not heard of a single JVC layoff. All the people that I have worked with over the years are still in place. With full HDMI 2.0 chips coming and 4K BD coming, now looks like the time for other manufacturers to jump into true 4K.
DavidHir and GoCaboNow like this.

post #2893 of 2983 Old 11-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

For all the complaining I did the other day about no auto Cal support for JVC you would think having to calibrate the "old fashion" way would kill me. I just did a quick Cal of my greyscale and it was about 20 min total time including setup my tripod, meter and laptop.lol

My bulb has over 1500 hrs, there was a bit more red and the blue had gone down a bit. Hope that makes sense.

post #2894 of 2983 Old 11-29-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
For all the complaining I did the other day about no auto Cal support for JVC you would think having to calibrate the "old fashion" way would kill me. I just did a quick Cal of my greyscale and it was about 20 min total time including setup my tripod, meter and laptop.lol

My bulb has over 1500 hrs, there was a bit more red and the blue had gone down a bit. Hope that makes sense.
i totally agree, a few months ago i was calling spectracal weekly to find out an update on the autocal feature. I decided to have someone teach me how to do proper calibration, i had Michael Chen (http://www.tlvexp.ca/) come over and teach me proper calibration and its amazing what these JVC units are capable of, my point is that learning to do a manual calibration is definitely the way to go, i also have a panasonic 65" VT series plasma which supported autocal, I ran autocal on this devices and i thought it looked better.... but after learning proper calibration and re measuring everything manually after autocal it makes me think this autocal stuff is just a joke, it didn't come anywhere near what i was able to do manually in an hour starting from defaults again, so don't get to hung-up on autocal just learn how to do the process manually and you'll be very impressed especially with the current JVC line it was the easiest device i have calibrated yet.
post #2895 of 2983 Old 11-29-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper14 View Post
i totally agree, a few months ago i was calling spectracal weekly to find out an update on the autocal feature. I decided to have someone teach me how to do proper calibration, i had Michael Chen (http://www.tlvexp.ca/) come over and teach me proper calibration and its amazing what these JVC units are capable of, my point is that learning to do a manual calibration is definitely the way to go, i also have a panasonic 65" VT series plasma which supported autocal, I ran autocal on this devices and i thought it looked better.... but after learning proper calibration and re measuring everything manually after autocal it makes me think this autocal stuff is just a joke, it didn't come anywhere near what i was able to do manually in an hour starting from defaults again, so don't get to hung-up on autocal just learn how to do the process manually and you'll be very impressed especially with the current JVC line it was the easiest device i have calibrated yet.
Yep, the current JVC projectors are extremely easy to calibrate and doesnt take much time. It takes 30-45min to get a very accurate picture every 200-300 hours. With me thats about twice a year.
post #2896 of 2983 Old 11-30-2014, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingma1 View Post
I am looking at the same projector with a slightly smaller screen size 133" 16:9. I have a light controlled room as well.
I would love to know the projection distance you have. Also, what your seating configuration / distance to viewing position?

Thanks,
Michael[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Thanks for the help I got from this forum I've turned the Iris off and it's fixed the pulsing light issue.

My room, which I'm still working on (centre stand needs to be built, waiting on blackout blinds, likely move the components to the back of the room etc) is 5.4 meters long and 4.5 meters wide. The projector is ceiling mounted as far back as it will go. If it wasn't it would not quite fill the 138" 2.35:1 screen. I know this because I left 6 inches room at the back wall and I was literally an inch short of filling the screen fully so I had to do a remount
You can see my seating configuration in the pics attached centre of the curved lounge is about 4.5 meters from the screen. The lounge seats 6, but is best suited to 4.
Hope that's what you wanted to know Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_185737_LLS.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	392858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_185909_LLS.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	392866  
post #2897 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 43
EDIT: It seems to have been my blu ray player. Problem for now has gone away.

Has anyone experienced intermittent lip sync issues? I'm going bonkers with mine because the lip sync problem is not always there, and sometimes manifests itself well into a movie. Given its sporadic nature I can't just set a particular audio delay and be done with it.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum

Last edited by chrisreeves; 12-02-2014 at 12:58 AM.
post #2898 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzboy View Post
Thanks for the help I got from this forum I've turned the Iris off and it's fixed the pulsing light issue.

My room, which I'm still working on (centre stand needs to be built, waiting on blackout blinds, likely move the components to the back of the room etc) is 5.4 meters long and 4.5 meters wide. The projector is ceiling mounted as far back as it will go. If it wasn't it would not quite fill the 138" 2.35:1 screen. I know this because I left 6 inches room at the back wall and I was literally an inch short of filling the screen fully so I had to do a remount
You can see my seating configuration in the pics attached centre of the curved lounge is about 4.5 meters from the screen. The lounge seats 6, but is best suited to 4.
Hope that's what you wanted to know Michael
It would really help your system, if you could place your center on a small stand with enough angle to aim the tweeter toward ear level.

post #2899 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Yep, the current JVC projectors are extremely easy to calibrate and doesnt take much time. It takes 30-45min to get a very accurate picture every 200-300 hours. With me thats about twice a year.
I know how to do it and have done it several times before...but that doesn't mean I feel like doing it. Since autocal is evidently not ever coming from SpectraCal, I suppose I'll have to get off my duff and get to it manually. Either that or I'll get a Lumagen so I can auto-calibrate at several stimulus levels.

Last edited by Schwa; 12-01-2014 at 06:49 AM.
post #2900 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone point me to any info on manually calibrating the X500r with Calman?
Really looking for which sources to use, which tests to run and which color controls I should be changing.

(Only ask as I did try a month or so ago and the results were dreadful!)

Thanks again.
post #2901 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Well I guess I spoke too soon and my dynamic iris looking like it has gone bad.

When the projector is first turned on it functions smoothly and without issue. After about 1 movie, it starts clicking and not being able to fully close.
I'm trying everything I can to find some reason for it other than hardware failure, but I'm not hopeful. I haven't read of anyone else having DI issues.

Here is a video of the IRIS opening and closing using a 100% white field and absolute black field. The first two times it opens and closes fully and smoothly. Then the third time there is a slight hitch. The 4th and 5th time it just stutters and does not close down all the way.

This video shows the iris just continually stuttering:

Note the iris is in Auto2 with the manual setting at 0 in these clips. It does do this in actual content as well....you can year it if the volume is muted and you can tell the iris is not fully closing on fade to black scenes.

Other symptoms are:

- if I set the iris at -7 and then set it to auto2, it is still opening up all the ay on a 100% white field
- sometimes there is no movement between manual iris steps (say -14 to -15), when other times there is an obvious step when adjusting.

I am really nervous about shipping such an expensive PJ for repair, and even more nervous about them opening up the sealed optical area. I fear what might come back to me. There is a difference between repair to "function" and repair to "as it should be." I've only had this thing less than 5 months. Bought it from AVS in July.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm desperately hoping there is something other than a mechanical problem here. I'm going to contact JVC and see if there is anyway they can replace it, but I'm not hopeful. I really wish they would offer a replacement warranty for at least the first year of the warranty

Mike have you heard of IRIS failures? I haven't seen anyone post a single issue like this.
post #2902 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Well I guess I spoke too soon and my dynamic iris looking like it has gone bad.

When the projector is first turned on it functions smoothly and without issue. After about 1 movie, it starts clicking and not being able to fully close.
I'm trying everything I can to find some reason for it other than hardware failure, but I'm not hopeful. I haven't read of anyone else having DI issues.

Here is a video of the IRIS opening and closing using a 100% white field and absolute black field. The first two times it opens and closes fully and smoothly. Then the third time there is a slight hitch. The 4th and 5th time it just stutters and does not close down all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA7R...Te2JkXMKcE7ipQ

This video shows the iris just continually stuttering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpZ...Te2JkXMKcE7ipQ

Note the iris is in Auto2 with the manual setting at 0 in these clips. It does do this in actual content as well....you can year it if the volume is muted and you can tell the iris is not fully closing on fade to black scenes.

Other symptoms are:

- if I set the iris at -7 and then set it to auto2, it is still opening up all the ay on a 100% white field
- sometimes there is no movement between manual iris steps (say -14 to -15), when other times there is an obvious step when adjusting.

I am really nervous about shipping such an expensive PJ for repair, and even more nervous about them opening up the sealed optical area. I fear what might come back to me. There is a difference between repair to "function" and repair to "as it should be." I've only had this thing less than 5 months. Bought it from AVS in July.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm desperately hoping there is something other than a mechanical problem here. I'm going to contact JVC and see if there is anyway they can replace it, but I'm not hopeful. I really wish they would offer a replacement warranty for at least the first year of the warranty

Mike have you heard of IRIS failures? I haven't seen anyone post a single issue like this.

I have not heard of this problem yet. I'll let Mike chime in. Maybe you need to do a factory settings re-set ?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #2903 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I have not heard of this problem yet. I'll let Mike chime in. Maybe you need to do a factory settings re-set ?
Thought about that....don't want to enter the service menu until JVC tells me to. I'm not crazy right? You can see/hear the issue?
post #2904 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Do a soft reset, by unplugging the projector over night.

post #2905 of 2983 Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do a soft reset, by unplugging the projector over night.
I did this over the weekend. Was unplugged for about 8 hours. Was hopeful because it was fine when first turned on, but then after a movie it was back to stuttering. Thats the part that is so odd.

Last edited by curlyjive; 12-01-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #2906 of 2983 Old 12-02-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I did this over the weekend. Was unplugged for about 8 hours. Was hopeful because it was fine when first turned on, but then after a movie it was back to stuttering. Thats the part that is so odd.
It looks like it may have to be sent in. I would probably turn the dynamic iris off and use it like that. Then when you get to a time of the year, where you are not using your projector as much, send it in for repair.

post #2907 of 2983 Old 12-02-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It looks like it may have to be sent in. I would probably turn the dynamic iris off and use it like that. Then when you get to a time of the year, where you are not using your projector as much, send it in for repair.
I fear you are correct. Have you heard of this issue before? I can't find mention of it anywhere.

I have contacted JVC support to see what they say. Man I hope there is a simple solution. I hate the idea of the optical block being opened up...
post #2908 of 2983 Old 12-02-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not a technician, but I wouldn't think the optical block would have to be touched if it indeed is an iris issue. I think the iris just operates on it's own in a sense - from the light it receives from the block. But I am speculating at best.

post #2909 of 2983 Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I am not a technician, but I wouldn't think the optical block would have to be touched if it indeed is an iris issue. I think the iris just operates on it's own in a sense - from the light it receives from the block. But I am speculating at best.
I might be using the wrong term, but since it sits just behind the lens elements and in front of the panels my thinking is both would be exposed when accessing the IRIS. Light path might be a better term. But I thought that entire assembly was sealed. Unlike replacing a board.

Last edited by curlyjive; 12-02-2014 at 10:33 AM.
post #2910 of 2983 Old 12-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question

I am in the market for a JVC X500R because of the lens memory function along with other great qualities of this projector. However, I was trying to understand the problem of 3D 2.35:1 vertical stretching, however, I couldn't find a lot of information. I wanted to understand if the outstanding problems would affect my use of the projector.

I am planning on using the projector for movies/TV/gaming in 70/20/10 ratio. I have a dark painted room with dark carpets and dark curtains over the window (see attached picture). I wanted to use a Constant Image Height setup and use the JVC X500R's lens memory function. Do you think this would be a good projector for my use or should I go for a different projector. My budget is around $4000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RecRoom.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	400170  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc