Sony VPL HW50ES or VPL HW55ES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-14-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RJ1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi Folks,

 

I searched a lot for differences between the Sony 50ES and 55ES and could hardly find a few posts discussing the topic. Most are moving from JVC / Epson to 55ES.

 

As of today (12/4/13), the 55ES is selling for $3999 and the 50ES is selling for $2999. This is my very first projector. My question is., Is the $1,000 bump worth it to buy 55 instead of 50?

 

I am sure when content builds up for 4k in 3-5 years, I would trade in either to get on to 4k.

 

Pl share your experience!

 

PS - The $1,000 price bump is not an issue (I just want to know if it's worth it)

 

Thanks!

Bigham16 likes this.
RJ1979 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-14-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ1979 View Post

Hi Folks,

I searched a lot for differences between the Sony 50ES and 55ES and could hardly find a few posts discussing the topic. Most are moving from JVC / Epson to 55ES.

As of today (12/4/13), the 55ES is selling for $3999 and the 50ES is selling for $2999. This is my very first projector. My question is., Is the $1,000 bump worth it to buy 55 instead of 50?

I am sure when content builds up for 4k in 3-5 years, I would trade in either to get on to 4k.

Pl share your experience!

PS - The $1,000 price bump is not an issue (I just want to know if it's worth it)

Thanks!

It is allmost the same projector - AFAIK : the 55 is a 50, but is 3D RF ready with ext RF transmitter and optional TDG-BT500A glasses + ready for optional HDMI wireless + a new bulb with longer life time ( 3000 versus 5000 ) and from what I hear, it has a Little less light, but WHO knows,EDIT: the spec say´s its the same for both projectors ( 1700 ) rolleyes.gif )

IMO, NO, I would probely take the 50, save the 1000 bucks, especially if you plan to buy a 4K projector in a few years ( 3- 5 years )

bottom line is, you will probely be impressed with both, considered its your first wink.gif


dj
d.j. is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-14-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,256
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

It is allmost the same projector - AFAIK : the 55 is a 50, but is 3D RF ready with ext RF transmitter and optional TDG-BT500A glasses + ready for optional HDMI wireless + a new bulb with longer life time ( 3000 versus 5000 ) and from what I hear, it has a Little less light, but WHO knows, the spec say´s the same rolleyes.gif )

IMO, NO, I would probely take the 50, save the 1000 bucks, especially if you plan to buy a 4K projector in a few years ( 3- 5 years )

bottom line is, you will probely be impressed with both, considered its your first wink.gif


dj

Higher contrast and supposedly a tweak to Reality Creation. Light output is the same, from what I have been told.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #4 of 18 Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Skrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
RJ - Do you mind PMing me with where I might be able to find the HW50 for $3K?

_____________________________________________

My Bargain Basement Theater
Skrill is online now  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-15-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RJ1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Thank you everyone for your input.

 

The $3k price on a 50 ES is advertised on Sony's website - http://store.sony.com/WFS/SNYUS/en_US/-/USD/-zid27-VPLHW50ES/cat-27-catid-EOL-Home-Theater-Projectors?k_id=333038cb-14f9-c188-db78-000025a65f40&kpid=8198552921666490151&adparam=sem73pla&XID=O:VPLHW50ES:dg_gglsrch:pla&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIKZ5Njvs7sCFeJF7AodRmAAQg

 

Another recommendation is if you have Discover Card, I found that if you go through their internal retailer network, you get an additional 5% off.

 

I had the 50ES ready in my card and was about to pull the trigger, but found that Sony was going to charge me $210 Tax even though they don't have physical presence in my State.

 

Also found a 55ES on a good online price just $550 more than the 50 ES., and now I'm back to square 1 again. For 550 $ more., I get the latest. Hard to say no right?!!

RJ1979 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Member
 
John Schlarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: GA
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ1979 View Post


Also found a 55ES on a good online price just $550 more than the 50 ES., and now I'm back to square 1 again. For 550 $ more., I get the latest. Hard to say no right?!!

I don't think the 55ES is available for $3550 from an Authorized Sony Retailer. Make sure you get the same warranty, extra lamp, etc.

I agree that the differences appear to be minimal between the '50 and the '55. $3000 closeout on the HW50 (with a spare lens and glasses) looks like a great deal.
John Schlarb is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RJ1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi John,

 

Yes, I was surprised as well and called Sony and verified that they were Authorized Dealers. I think I am going to go w/ them., only thing is the ship time is in Jan.

RJ1979 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Member
 
C130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Magnolia, TX
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post

I don't think the 55ES is available for $3550 from an Authorized Sony Retailer. Make sure you get the same warranty, extra lamp, etc.

I agree that the differences appear to be minimal between the '50 and the '55. $3000 closeout on the HW50 (with a spare lens and glasses) looks like a great deal.

The HW55 can be bought for much less than $3999, cheaper than $3500 also, and from an authorized Sony dealer. I ordered out of state and saved sales tax also. Bad part is Sony has them in stock if you order directly from them but not so if you buy from an authorized dealer, at least every dealer I've spoken to that seems to be the case. If I had not received such a great price I would have bought from Sony and would have already had it.
C130 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
WestCDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I suggest you request a quote on equipment with the hosts of this forum as well. The pricing is sure to be competitive, and you may be pleasantly surprised with just how competitive that is. I don't know what Sony is doing with their distribution allocation, but I think AVS deserves a modicum of support for what they are providing for the HT community, even if that means a few extra days ... smile.gif
John Schlarb likes this.
WestCDA is online now  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Member
 
C130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Magnolia, TX
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

I suggest you request a quote on equipment with the hosts of this forum as well. The pricing is sure to be competitive, and you may be pleasantly surprised with just how competitive that is. I don't know what Sony is doing with their distribution allocation, but I think AVS deserves a modicum of support for what they are providing for the HT community, even if that means a few extra days ... smile.gif


Thanks, I was about to ask how to order from them but think I just figured it out via the "sponsored by" links at the bottom of the home page. I will definitely keep AVS in mind for future purchasing options.

 

What are the average times people are being told for shipping on the HW55? I ordered almost two weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet as to when it will be shipped.I talked to the dealer last Friday and he told me there would be another delivery to their (Sony) warehouse in Indiana around the 20th.

 

I did get to see the HW55 at a local theater store Saturday and they had it next to an Epson but the Epson was a step down from the 6030, believe it was the 4030. They are going to get the 6030 sometime this week and they will be next to each other. It was great to be able to compare them side by side with the same picture and while the Sony was clearly much better I'm sure comparing it to the 6030 would be a much better comparison. This will be my first projector so I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of the home theater world.

C130 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
neokeelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I saw the 50ES selling for about $2200 in Japan, of course its 100Volt so unless you live in Japan it might be tough.
neokeelo is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Member
 
John Schlarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: GA
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

I suggest you request a quote on equipment with the hosts of this forum as well. The pricing is sure to be competitive, and you may be pleasantly surprised with just how competitive that is. I don't know what Sony is doing with their distribution allocation, but I think AVS deserves a modicum of support for what they are providing for the HT community, even if that means a few extra days ... smile.gif

I'll definitely check with AVS on the HW55 tomorrow. If it's closer to $3500 than $4k, I'll wait for the HW55 to ship in January (plenty of other stuff going on over Christmas!).

Back to the 'HW50 comparison: another thing to consider is resale value in 4-6 years; I would guess the HW55 will resell for at least $100 more than the 'HW50.

I have a 2.35 (CIH) screen, and I've really been spoiled by my PT-AE3000's lens motor. But I'm ready for a better picture, and the Sony will be more reliable (if warranty and my experience with the Panny are any indication). If I have to get up to adjust the lens 5-10 times a week, so be it. Bring on the blacker blacks!
John Schlarb is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,256
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post

I'll definitely check with AVS on the HW55 tomorrow. If it's closer to $3500 than $4k, I'll wait for the HW55 to ship in January (plenty of other stuff going on over Christmas!).

Back to the 'HW50 comparison: another thing to consider is resale value in 4-6 years; I would guess the HW55 will resell for at least $100 more than the 'HW50.

I have a 2.35 (CIH) screen, and I've really been spoiled by my PT-AE3000's lens motor. But I'm ready for a better picture, and the Sony will be more reliable (if warranty and my experience with the Panny are any indication). If I have to get up to adjust the lens 5-10 times a week, so be it. Bring on the blacker blacks!

Sent you a PM. smile.gif
John Schlarb likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #14 of 18 Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RJ1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

John - The deal that I told you about., was referred to me via PM and it's through AV Science. Definitely give Mike a call. I spoke with JD and they seem to really great. JD was very courteous and when I told him about the price difference between 50 and 55, He didn't once try to dissuade me. Honest brokers.

 

Btw., I am in Duluth as well (off McGinnis)

RJ1979 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Member
 
John Schlarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: GA
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ1979 View Post

John - The deal that I told you about., was referred to me via PM and it's through AV Science. Definitely give Mike a call. I spoke with JD and they seem to really great. JD was very courteous and when I told him about the price difference between 50 and 55, He didn't once try to dissuade me. Honest brokers.

Btw., I am in Duluth as well (off McGinnis)

Cool, then there will be at least two AVS 'HW55s in Duluth - I just bought mine from Mike @ AVS - no brainer! I'll be working on my pinball machines over the break, so that will keep me busy until January. We also have the state IFPA pinball tournament in February, and I need to practice. Good times!
John Schlarb is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
 
rms8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Unless you're a big 3D fan or don't already have an HDMI cable ran to your projector, these two are literally the same projector where it counts. The both use the EXACT SAME BULB. The marginal difference in CR would no be a noticeable improvement and definitely not worth the added price.
rms8 is online now  
post #17 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
ktoolsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

Unless you're a big 3D fan or don't already have an HDMI cable ran to your projector, these two are literally the same projector where it counts. The both use the EXACT SAME BULB. The marginal difference in CR would no be a noticeable improvement and definitely not worth the added price.

I would not expect there to be significant difference in PQ between the 50ES and 55ES in 3D, apart from the slight bump in CR you referenced. The 55ES is a little easier to get to work with RF glasses, but there's nothing that suggests it should be much of an improvement over the 50ES as far as 3D picture quality is concerned.
ktoolsie is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Newbie
 
lamia1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just got totally fed up with my Epson 8700 and vowed not to buy a 5030 because Epson still has not fixed their quality control issues based upon current forum's, I'm going for the Sony. I have the same question, where can I find the best deal and do I go for the 50es or the 55. Do you guys mind giving me a pm with what prices you've found? PS, I'm up here in Alpharetta.
lamia1 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off