AVS Forum banner

JVC DLA-RS56 : Abnormal Circuit Operation

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ikrananka 
#1 ·
My RS56 has been in occasional use now for 5 months and it has started to give me intermittent problems on start-up. Every fourth or fifth power-on results in D-ILA being displayed followed by no picture, the projector shutting down and after the cooling period the "Lamp" and "Warning" lights repeatedly blink three times with the "Standby/On" light being on and steady. The manual seems to indicate that this is "abnormal circuit operation" - I say "seems" because the manual shows the "Standby/On" light as being off but in my case it stays on.

When I turning the unit on in this condition, i.e. with the LEDs flashing, results in in starting up normally and it then works fine. My concern is that this is a warning sign of something fatal building.

I have check the air filter and it is clean.

I have spent some time searching the web and found some discussion of others getting this error on other JVC projectors, but no mention of what their resolution was.

Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

The projector is part of my permanent home theatre and as such it is left plugged in (to a power conditioner) and in standby. Eco mode is turned off because I need it to respond to a LAN command to turn on via Roomie Remote on my iPad. Could the fact that it is left on standby all the time be part of the problem?

BTW: Firmware revision is 29.001 (is there newer firmware available?)

Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#5 ·

Any error is a sign of a problem. Whether it is major or not can not be determined until the problem causing the error is identified. If the unit still has a warranty then now is the time to have it looked at. As I said, the unit maintains an error log and that can help identify the possible cause. It could be as simple as an intermittent or sticky fan issue. A fan will cause auto shutdown and may not trigger a fault code depending. But that's only a guess at this point. Of course there are dozens of other things that could cause issues. Have it checked for free if you can now.

#6 ·
what is your install of projector like? can you take a picture. my install is a jvc4810 with projector in drywall cubbie. 7 in. of space above and back with 2 in. on sides. the projector sits 4 in. sticking out of cubbie. I have fan on all the time blowing air to the rear for intakes.

I use this fan for blowing fresh air to projector from other room
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009COQYA0/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

do you have a second lamp to try out.

I have run my projector for 6 months from new. 920 hours on orginal bulb. second lamp has 10 hours.

#7 ·
It is ceiling mounted, upside down, around 6 inches below the ceiling using a Chief RPA-281 mount. Completely open front and back as it is in the middle of my basement. I'm assuming from your post that you're thinking inadequate airflow could be the cause. would this result in the error code I am seeing?

I live at an elevation of just over 1000 metres but I found that my installer had left the projector set on the low altitude setting. So, I changed it to high altitude, which has boosted the fan speed and so far the error has not occurred again. Far from conclusive yet seeing as I have only used it around 5 times since. I plan on seeing how it goes over the Christmas period. No point initiating anything with the dealer just yet - I don't want it sent away for repair when this will be the time my family and I will want to use it the most.

I don't have a spare bulb but do plan on taking it out to see if there is anything obvious like dust in there (I know not to touch the glass on the bulb - I'll be careful).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.