post #991 of 1922 Old 02-04-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Actually, you are quite wrong in your assessment. They know by saying anything it will show their bias (towards making a sale). This bias actually can be a real issue for sales people as it make them seem unreliable for critical product information. They also know that the obsessives and the pride-of-ownership crowd (collectively) will do their job for them. It is actually a very good sales strategy because peer-to-peer suggestion is a very powerful marketing tool - perhaps the most powerful.

So you just agreed with what I said, that it's the owners who are expressing the enthusiasm, not the AVSsalesmen...and then say I'm "quite wrong in my assessment?"

Uhm. What?

Also, this site is like every other enthusiast site I've been on in terms of people..well...expressing enthusiasm...for various gear they love. You seem rather cynical about it, but that's your prerogative I guess. (And also, note that these
sites are also a gathering place for criticism of gear and manufacturers - a well-spring of complaints arise just as strongly when a new device is proving to be problematic. It's not all roses by a long shot. So these sites serve just the type
of purpose for an enthusiast as any other).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1922 Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Actually, you are quite wrong in your assessment. They know by saying anything it will show their bias (towards making a sale). This bias actually can be a real issue for sales people as it make them seem unreliable for critical product information. They also know that the obsessives and the pride-of-ownership crowd (collectively) will do their job for them. It is actually a very good sales strategy because peer-to-peer suggestion is a very powerful marketing tool - perhaps the most powerful.

What the heck? The projectors and other HT gear are released every year whether AVS exists or not. If not here then people that care about this stuff go elsewhere for the information and to swap equipment observations and knowledge. No conspiracy or scheming. Not sure if you're serious or joking?
post #993 of 1922 Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, it's rather tiresome for someone to essentially paint people here as dupes for the AVS sales people.
post #994 of 1922 Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

What the heck? The projectors and other HT gear are released every year whether AVS exists or not. If not here then people that care about this stuff go elsewhere for the information and to swap equipment observations and knowledge. No conspiracy or scheming. Not sure if you're serious or joking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yeah, it's rather tiresome for someone to essentially paint people here as dupes for the AVS sales people.

I come here to learn and discuss (this is a discussion forum), express my enthusiasm for a new product I researched and/or purchased (this helps others determine if they may want to purchase that item), and meet new and interesting people. I like it here. tongue.gif

No one says that if you come here, you "have" to buy products from AVS, but they are awesome to deal with, knowledgeable, and take pride in customer service...so it makes sense to refer people to them for guidance and assistance. If you find a better deal elsewhere, just try to be sure it's an authorized dealer so your warranty is valid. smile.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #995 of 1922 Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

All I know is the RS58 totally smokes the RS57 and the Sony VW1200 is better than being there. The hyperbole used around here drives the obsessive compulsive videophiles into a constant state of upgraditis. I actually think this is the whole business model of AVS - make everyone who owns anything other than a recent model projector feel inferior and then sell them the cure for what ails them. Brilliant!!

The AVS store front doesn't drive the forum. If it did it would be rather obvious to all involved and certainly wouldn't be as popular and continue to grow after decades....

that being said, if you have issues with AVS, we have an forum operations center to discuss AVS as a whole. If you want to discuss this projector or this model vs anyother projectors please do so here in this thread. Let's not take it off topic.
maximus74 and Mr. Hatcher like this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #996 of 1922 Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

The hyperbole used around here drives the obsessive compulsive videophiles into a constant state of upgraditis. I actually think this is the whole business model of AVS - make everyone who owns anything other than a recent model projector feel inferior and then sell them the cure for what ails them. Brilliant!!

Same as what drives the entire consumer economy.
Quote:

Actually, you are quite wrong in your assessment. They know by saying anything it will show their bias (towards making a sale).

That's true, but in no way contradicts what Rich said.

Noah
post #997 of 1922 Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Please let's stay on topic.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #998 of 1922 Old 02-05-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Folks,

I'm luxuriating in the wonderful added brightness due to the RS57's new bulb, vs my RS55's bulb at over 850 hours. Even though I'm not even using it with the iris full open, it's great to have that type of headroom to blast it when desired, or when
I go really big with the image size.

I believe it was the RS55 era bulbs that had a bad rep for dimming more quickly, and that the next models corrected this, is that correct?

Do we have any sense yet whether the new 2014 models will be good at retaining brightness over time?
post #999 of 1922 Old 02-05-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Folks,

I'm luxuriating in the wonderful added brightness due to the RS57's new bulb, vs my RS55's bulb at over 850 hours. Even though I'm not even using it with the iris full open, it's great to have that type of headroom to blast it when desired, or when
I go really big with the image size.

I believe it was the RS55 era bulbs that had a bad rep for dimming more quickly, and that the next models corrected this, is that correct?

Do we have any sense yet whether the new 2014 models will be good at retaining brightness over time?

That's putting it "kindly" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edit: Well actually maybe by that model you guys were into the "finned" later versions that showed up at the end of the previous year's run after all hell had broken loose with low hour failing lamps.
post #1000 of 1922 Old 02-06-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Watched "Avengers 3D" and "Pacific Rim 3D". It's like my CRT days are back, only brighter and sharper.
post #1001 of 1922 Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Rich… first off… nice review and I'm not a "told ya so" kinda guy but… I did call it for you on AVF a few weeks back with what I was seeing and what I thought you would be looking for (and was I right about Clear Black or what!?…. nice! biggrin.gif ). At least it's nice to hear other positive reviews and even some confirmation of "ridiculous" looking blacks at times. At least I don't feel like such a fanboy anymore! tongue.gif

That whiney motor sound was what I reported that first week but no one other than you has confirmed it so far. And it only happens during a rez change… weird!

Your last comment was what I was trying to say the other day to Jason… I get that I'm not A/B'ing my PJ's but I also know intimately as seemingly you do as well, the movies I've watched on my old RS55 many times, and… they did not look this good!

I'm not sure I'm liking your convergence/fringing comments on your machine and I'd almost suggest you contemplate an exchange with your dealer (mine is near perfect!).

To your later comment about motion I echo your opinion and in fact have a hard time keeping CMD even on Low because I just don't like that "soap opera-ee" effect.

smile.gif

What say you Rich? Never heard back about your convergence/fringing issue (or general comments from above).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #1002 of 1922 Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Kevin,

The problem is I'm juggling a lot of things, including installing the Lumagen and possibly new cabling, while also playing around with the RS57. Comments on the convergence issue from Kris D. suggests several possible variables to explain
why I might see a yellow tinge to the image, including calibration. And I haven't gotten into calibration yet. So I'm sort of stuck at the moment not sure what my situation is.
krichter1 likes this.
post #1003 of 1922 Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

Kevin,

The problem is I'm juggling a lot of things, including installing the Lumagen and possibly new cabling, while also playing around with the RS57. Comments on the convergence issue from Kris D. suggests several possible variables to explain
why I might see a yellow tinge to the image, including calibration. And I haven't gotten into calibration yet. So I'm sort of stuck at the moment not sure what my situation is.

Hire a professional calibrator to come out. Not only can he look at your convergence and make sure it is dialed in ideally, he can make sure everything else is setup properly. I would recommend this to anyone that can't do it themselves. Especially when you have a Lumagen processor now. It would be well worth the money if you don't have the experience/equipment to do it yourself.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1004 of 1922 Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Watched "Man of Steel 3D". The menu is good for testing ghosting. White letters on dark background. Left and right quite some apart to make them hover in front of the screen. When I started the film there was ghosting in these letters. When the film was over the ghosting was gone. That corresponds to my impression that the longer the film lasts the less ghosting I see. So as the projector warms up ghosting goes down? Is this a known phenomenon for JVC (and Sony) projectors? Or is it the glasses? Both? Could the Lumagen in between play a role? (I noticed once that ghosting was really strong at the beginning of a film and when I rebooted the Lumagen it was gone. Can the video signal from the Lumagen drift in some way and make ghosting stronger/weaker?)
post #1005 of 1922 Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Hire a professional calibrator to come out. Not only can he look at your convergence and make sure it is dialed in ideally, he can make sure everything else is setup properly. I would recommend this to anyone that can't do it themselves. Especially when you have a Lumagen processor now. It would be well worth the money if you don't have the experience/equipment to do it yourself.

That makes sense of course. Convergence is pretty easy to check I think for anyone. As for calibration, the irony is that for years I couldn't find any decent local calibrators (just Best-Buy level "did a weekend training" types). So I'd been driving my projectors all the way from Toronto to the USA to get them calibrated by umr. Not wanting to have to do that anymore I finally bit the bullet and bought a Lumagen 2041 (for calibration), Chromapure software/meter and new PC laptop. A week after spending all that money I bumped into an experienced professional calibrator at a local AV show whose services I could have employed instead. I could have hired this guy for the next 6 or 8 years for what I paid buying all that calibration gear! But..now I've put the money in, looks like I have to start down that road....(and there are some *very* helpful AVSforum members around to learn from).

(I've actually hired this calibrator to teach me some of the ropes, but I won't therefore know whether my yellow tinge issue is a calibration issue for a couple weeks).
post #1006 of 1922 Old 02-06-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Watched "Man of Steel 3D". The menu is good for testing ghosting. White letters on dark background. Left and right quite some apart to make them hover in front of the screen. When I started the film there was ghosting in these letters. When the film was over the ghosting was gone. That corresponds to my impression that the longer the film lasts the less ghosting I see. So as the projector warms up ghosting goes down? Is this a known phenomenon for JVC (and Sony) projectors? Or is it the glasses? Both? Could the Lumagen in between play a role? (I noticed once that ghosting was really strong at the beginning of a film and when I rebooted the Lumagen it was gone. Can the video signal from the Lumagen drift in some way and make ghosting stronger/weaker?)

Correct on ghosting w/ ILA panels. They need to heat up to a point where ghosting is minimal/imperceptible. I usually wait 20min when having guests over (while we eat I fire up the PJ). This has been the case since inception of this line of PJs.

I've never heard of any issues with the Lumagen in the chain causing this issue but you could certainly test it out by taking it out of the chain right after you power up the PJ then back in prior to the warm-up period.

Man of Steel is one of my favs on the RS57 (both 2D & 3D)! wink.gif

Kevin

post #1007 of 1922 Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I checked out a bit of 3D on the RS57: Jurassic Park and Avatar. Both looked better, cleaner, easier to watch than I remember on the RS55. So, that's good! (Though the 3D mode automatically kicked the CMD into high mode).

But of course the color is just wretched - super reddish orange - on the OOTB 3D settings.

What do folks here do about this? How difficult is it to calibrate the 3D setting, and do you lose much light?
post #1008 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Rich,

First of all, like Geoff and I both pointed out, yellow is an absence of blue, so if blue was off half a pixel, you would see a blue fringe above a white line and yellow below it. This is expected. As also said, red/green convergence is the important one....blue really has little effect on perceived sharpness and is normally not visible from seated unless extremely severe. I don't want people to scare you into thinking you may have a faulty unit. I have seen so many of the JVCs with the current chassis, and most are within 0.5 pixels in the centre and about 1 at the edges. If you get lucky, perhaps like Kevin seems to have done, then its a lottery and count yourself very lucky. If not, it doesn't mean its faulty. 1 pixel error between red and green would annoy me though, but for blue, it would be acceptable.

On the 3D side, the colours are pretty good in the recent models. Last year there was a 3D button which had 3D cinema, 3D video and 3D animation. This year, for whatever reason JVC have hidden the 3D presets under the regular 2D presets. So under the cinema preset, is the 3D Cinema option. They have also added 2 more 3D presets such as 3D photo.

What preset were you using when you validated 3D performance? I found 3D cinema to be very good on the X75, but who knows if they have changed it around this year. Naturally animation exaggerates colour so be careful with that one. You will get horrible colours if you choose a preset that has no 3D switchover. Also try THX 3D for the most neutral colour balance.
post #1009 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Rich,

First of all, like Geoff and I both pointed out, yellow is an absence of blue, so if blue was off half a pixel, you would see a blue fringe above a white line and yellow below it. This is expected. As also said, red/green convergence is the important one....blue really has little effect on perceived sharpness and is normally not visible from seated unless extremely severe. I don't want people to scare you into thinking you may have a faulty unit. I have seen so many of the JVCs with the current chassis, and most are within 0.5 pixels in the centre and about 1 at the edges. If you get lucky, perhaps like Kevin seems to have done, then its a lottery and count yourself very lucky. If not, it doesn't mean its faulty. 1 pixel error between red and green would annoy me though, but for blue, it would be acceptable.

On the 3D side, the colours are pretty good in the recent models. Last year there was a 3D button which had 3D cinema, 3D video and 3D animation. This year, for whatever reason JVC have hidden the 3D presets under the regular 2D presets. So under the cinema preset, is the 3D Cinema option. They have also added 2 more 3D presets such as 3D photo.

What preset were you using when you validated 3D performance? I found 3D cinema to be very good on the X75, but who knows if they have changed it around this year. Naturally animation exaggerates colour so be careful with that one. You will get horrible colours if you choose a preset that has no 3D switchover. Also try THX 3D for the most neutral colour balance.

So-If a unit has either a full pixel red or green error, would that constitute a defective unit in your opinion?
post #1010 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

So-If a unit has either a full pixel red or green error, would that constitute a defective unit in your opinion?

Well remember that whole pixel shift corrections are harmless. So if its 1 pixel out over the whole screen, then you can fix it easily. The problem comes when it varies across the screen. In my opinion yes, being left with a 1 pixel or greater error at the edges is in my mind a defect, but not in JVC's opinion. I believe the official tolerance is a 2 pixel error at the boundaries regardless of colour.
post #1011 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Per JVC's documentation anything under 0.01% is acceptable (roughly 200 pixels !)... So they don't have to take this under warranty if they don't want to...

post #1012 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaal View Post

Per JVC's documentation anything under 0.01% is acceptable (roughly 200 pixels !)... So they don't have to take this under warranty if they don't want to...

I was talking about convergence. This reference is talking about dead/stuck pixels. A bit of confusion there smile.gif

JVCs rarely have dead/stuck pixels and if they do, for whatever reason, they are normally the blue panel and only dimly lit.
post #1013 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Rich,

Thanks Jon.

I looked at convergence again, after 1 hour warm up, using the full pixel adjust pattern. Red seems fine. Blue seems off by probably 1/2 a pixel, as you describe, leaving some blue fringing above the white line and a bit of yellow fringing within the white line. This varies along the screen, with the lower 3rd/right 1/2 of my screen actually looking much better for convergence than the central portion. Since blue seems to be off by about 1/2 a pixel it's 6 of one, half dozen of another in adjusting it.
Left as it is, the central portion of the screen shows a bit more yellow fringing (up close). Adjusting blue one pixel down doesn't eliminate yellow fringing but reduces it in the center of the screen, but it also introduces much more obvious misconvergence (blue and yellow fringing) in the lower /13 of the screen. I suppose this is where the zone adjust is supposed to come in handy, in theory.

Looking at full field white screens, the yellowish coloration I've spoken about seems very subtle, sometime it's like I can definitely notice a central area of slight yellow dinginees, other times I'm not sure at all. Playing with the convergene, e.g. off-setting either blue or red by 1 or even 2 full pixels, doesn't seem to alter the look of the white field screen much, so if I am indeed seeing this yellow coloration (and I'm starting to doubt my eyes) I'm not sure convergence is the culperit. (It just
seems like it would make sense, since I can see yellow fringing on menu letters etc close to the screen).

Anyway, ultimately I guess the convergence isn't too bad.

Regarding 3D color: I put on a 3D movie (Jurassic Park 3D) and tried selecting different settings - for instance there were two color profiles available, one being 3D and I forget the name of the other one. But both had awful color - super red and generally just cartoon-looking. I then went through all the options in the picture settings - Natural through THX, cinema, etc - and none looked any good to me (THX coming closest to reducing the cartoonish colors, but much more dim) and pretty much all looked quite inaccurate compared to non-3D settings. So I hope it's not too difficult to calibrate for decent 3D. I wouldn't want to put up with such garish color performance to experience 3D.
post #1014 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 263
rich those 3D color settings are overcooked, I avoid them. When I calibrate for 3D, I set USER2 (I rename it to 3D High Lamp) and pick a regular color mode, set it to 6500 or 7000 and then calibrated with the meter behind the glasses so I can account for the color tint of the glasses.

When it's done right, color in 3D can look very good. I think people are just used to wacky colors in 3D but it doesn't have to be that way. time to fire up the cal equipment
post #1015 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds good Zombie. Thanks. I've got to reign in the 3D settings by the time Gravity is released on Blu-Ray! smile.gif
post #1016 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Looking at full field white screens, the yellowish coloration I've spoken about seems very subtle, sometime it's like I can definitely notice a central area of slight yellow dinginees, other times I'm not sure at all.

Do you see the yellow from viewing distance?

Noah
post #1017 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Do you see the yellow from viewing distance?

Yes, that was my issue - what seems to be a yellowish discoloration on white areas from the viewing location. I'm sure the winter Olympics will show me if it's there or not.
post #1018 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested the USA Pro site has the new RS232 document up now but being it's SOOO different from Gary's past, well laid out document it'll take me a while to construct the commands for Hex.

smile.gif

Kevin

post #1019 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For anyone interested the USA Pro site has the new RS232 document up now but being it's SOOO different from Gary's past, well laid out document it'll take me a while to construct the commands for Hex.

smile.gif

Thanks!

It's all Greek to me, but hopefully my RTI remote programmer can make sense of it.
post #1020 of 1922 Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

smile.gif

Why has it changed?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page