Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1909 Old 04-02-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 248
My calibrator used the internal CMS of the projector and my Lumagen to dial in the JVC, using his own pattern generators and I think "accucal" software or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wanted to report my experience after updating my RS57 to the latest firmware update a week ago:

First of all, everything went very well, same as the first update.

For those like me whose MPC sliders do not work, this firmware (as expected) makes no difference.

For those like me being bothered by extremely slow hdmi handshake, this firmware (in my case) makes no difference.

For those like me experiencing infrequent and minor hdmi handshaking problem (the image disappears once in a while until I turn off then on the input being watched) this firmware makes no difference to me.

But, I am not disappointed. My RS57 is a wonderful projector. I dont think JVC will be able to improve the HDMI problem anymore...but I absolutely think they should address the MPC sliders doing nothing problem ASAP.

It feels like owning a 4K Sony projector whose Reality Creation is not working...(but, maybe I am expecting too much from those MPC sliders...)
krichter1 likes this.

Stef
post #1533 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the x700r have hdcp 2.2? If not what are the negative implications of this?
post #1534 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium View Post

Does the x700r have hdcp 2.2? If not what are the negative implications of this?

No, it does not have HDCP 2.2. This means no playing of 4K BD's when ever they come out.
Halbrium likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1535 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

I wanted to report my experience after updating my RS57 to the latest firmware update a week ago:

For those like me whose MPC sliders do not work, this firmware (as expected) makes no difference.

For those like me being bothered by extremely slow hdmi handshake, this firmware (in my case) makes no difference.

For those like me experiencing infrequent and minor hdmi handshaking problem (the image disappears once in a while until I turn off then on the input being watched) this firmware makes no difference to me.

But, I am not disappointed. My RS57 is a wonderful projector. I dont think JVC will be able to improve the HDMI problem anymore...but I absolutely think they should address the MPC sliders doing nothing problem ASAP.

It feels like owning a 4K Sony projector whose Reality Creation is not working...(but, maybe I am expecting too much from those MPC sliders...)

From my understanding the MPC slider issue is being address.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1536 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

No, it does not have HDCP 2.2. This means no playing of 4K BD's when ever they come out.

Oh...so if thats important to me I guess I should stay away?
post #1537 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 70
Quote:

Oh...so if thats important to me I guess I should stay away?

Only if you plan on keeping this projector for a LONG time. It will be quite some time before there's enough 4K content available to warrant this as the basis of your purchasing decision. 99.99% of content we watch today is 1080i or 1080p (2K) at best.

4K blu-ray is on schedule for a 2015 release at the moment I believe, and all the standards aren't written in stone yet. I would buy a 1080p (2K) projector and wait until 4K becomes mainstream for a bit. You will have to upgrade your BD player and AVR as well so everything in the chain is compatible. Possibly even HDMI cables.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #1538 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM

I agree there isn't enough content now, but I'm hoping to buy a 5 year solution. I bought my Panasonic Plasma 5 years ago and I think that is a good length to time to reevaluate my home theater needs. I'm moving into a new house with a dedicated screening room, but maybe I should wait another year or buy one of those $10,000 Sony VPL-VW600ES off ebay. I do like everything I hear about the x700r though... the picture sounds fantastic and eshift sounds like it would help with 2k images. The price is just right for me as well. I'm just worried that in a couple years I'll be SOL.
post #1539 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree there isn't enough content now, but I'm hoping to buy a 5 year solution. I bought my Panasonic Plasma 5 years ago and I think that is a good length to time to reevaluate my home theater needs. I'm moving into a new house with a dedicated screening room, but maybe I should wait another year or buy one of those $10,000 Sony VPL-VW600ES off ebay. I do like everything I hear about the x700r though... the picture sounds fantastic and eshift sounds like it would help with 2k images. The price is just right for me as well. I'm just worried that in a couple years I'll be SOL.

Yeah, this is a tough time to make a big purchase because of the crossover from 2K to 4K. There's still uncertainty around standards changing or new standards being adopted. I would definitely wait a couple more years at least. Hell, buy a cheaper 1080p projector to pass the time. Get an Epson 5030 to hold you over (should be able to find one of those for $2000.00 or less). That's probably the best cheapest solution at the moment. Bulbs are cheap, it gets really bright, overall pretty good contrast, 3d is good, excellent warranty, excellent placement flexibility, etc. It's not perfect, but it would be my first choice if I was looking for something to "hold me over" a couple years. You may even be able to get a heck of a deal on a used X500R which is really close in PQ to the X700R.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #1540 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If you have a problem with one of those Sony's off of Ebay, you may be SOL also.

post #1541 of 1909 Old 04-03-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

Yeah, this is a tough time to make a big purchase because of the crossover from 2K to 4K. There's still uncertainty around standards changing or new standards being adopted. I would definitely wait a couple more years at least. Hell, buy a cheaper 1080p projector to pass the time. Get an Epson 5030 to hold you over (should be able to find one of those for $2000.00 or less). That's probably the best cheapest solution at the moment. Bulbs are cheap, it gets really bright, overall pretty good contrast, 3d is good, excellent warranty, excellent placement flexibility, etc. It's not perfect, but it would be my first choice if I was looking for something to "hold me over" a couple years. You may even be able to get a heck of a deal on a used X500R which is really close in PQ to the X700R.
Mr Hatcher, I own a Epson 9200w (6030) and I am considering a jvc x500 it will be about 2k difference if I sell my 9200w as it has just gone 100hrs and I do love the picture it throws but I am after them deep blacks that the jvc can provide I ask you because didn't you own a Epson or was it the sony any way just want to know if you think it would be worth the 2k upgrade or if anyone has an opinion as I cannot demo the jvc and bought the 9200 after a demo of the 8200 cheers Chris.
post #1542 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1671 View Post

Mr Hatcher, I own a Epson 9200w (6030) and I am considering a jvc x500 it will be about 2k difference if I sell my 9200w as it has just gone 100hrs and I do love the picture it throws but I am after them deep blacks that the jvc can provide I ask you because didn't you own a Epson or was it the sony any way just want to know if you think it would be worth the 2k upgrade or if anyone has an opinion as I cannot demo the jvc and bought the 9200 after a demo of the 8200 cheers Chris.

Hello,

Yes, I previously owned the Sony HW55 but found the black levels to be lacking. I've always been one to chase the deepest black levels possible and making the switch to the X700 was the right choice "for me". If you can find an X500 for a fair price, you won't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the HW55 was a very nice projector, but ultimately did not satisfy my lust for contrast.

If I was planning on upgrading soon, I would've lived with the HW55 for a couple years, but I wanted something to hold me over for about 5 years until 4K LED powered pj's are available and affordable and more 4K content is around, and for 4K to become fully standardized. I can say without a doubt that I can live with the X700 for 5 years, it's just that good. eek.gif

The only downside is the cost of bulbs. It will cost me $400/year just to use the projector since I put ~250 hours/month (~3000 hours/year) on it. But that's the price we pay for the best. wink.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #1543 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM

Liked: 21
Mr. Hatcher do you still own the black diamond screen? If so, can you tell me how it performs with the x700? Thanks in advance.

post #1544 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
was wondering what others are seeing. For colorspace in menu information page
post #1545 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post

Mr. Hatcher do you still own the black diamond screen? If so, can you tell me how it performs with the x700? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, need to change that picture. tongue.gif

That's the screen I was originally going to go with. But after months of testing/viewing 25 different screen samples (white & grey), I found the BD screens to have wayyy too many sparklies and poor off-axis performance/hotspotting for my preference. In the end I went with a 120" 16:9 dnp Supernova Blade HG23 (2.3 gain) screen. But it has yet to arrive so I'm still watching TV and movies on my wall at the moment. smile.gif

Dnp is the only way to go in ambient light rejecting screens, IMO. All of the other major players have the exact same problems (sparklies, hot spotting, poor off-axis performance). Even the Stewart Firehawk G3 & G4 exhibit these same negative qualities. I still have samples if you would like to see for yourself?

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #1546 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 01:36 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

This is where I am at. I went with the X700 (after much consideration for the Sony 4K and wobbling back and forth for months) mainly because I wanted a projector now, the JVC is a great projector, 4K is still in its infancy, standards, hardware, software are all being worked out and developed. I figure in 3 years, if 4K is set in stone, fully supported, and much (hopefully) less expensive, I can upgrade. I did the same with 1080P/Blu Ray, waited a few years and then pulled the trigger.

It wasn't an easy choice however, I know what you mean.
post #1547 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

I see YUV as color space as well on mine.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #1548 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
This is where I am at. I went with the X700 (after much consideration for the Sony 4K and wobbling back and forth for months) mainly because I wanted a projector now, the JVC is a great projector, 4K is still in its infancy, standards, hardware, software are all being worked out and developed. I figure in 3 years, if 4K is set in stone, fully supported, and much (hopefully) less expensive, I can upgrade. I did the same with 1080P/Blu Ray, waited a few years and then pulled the trigger.

You do have one heck of a nice projector to watch while you are waiting for 4K - that's for sure !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1549 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Mike

Me 3

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #1550 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

You do have one heck of a nice projector to watch while you are waiting for 4K - that's for sure !!

+1

Precisely, and why I made the same choice after MUCH debate and research. My next projector will have to be powered by LEDs and/or Lasers and be native 4K capable. As well as have the black levels and contrast of JVC. So how ever long it takes for that projector to manifest is how long I will own my X700. rolleyes.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #1551 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

My calibrator used the internal CMS of the projector and my Lumagen to dial in the JVC, using his own pattern generators and I think "accucal" software or something like that.

Just curious, Rich, but would you happen to know how well does the RS57 internal CMS alone dial in the color gamut on your unit?

post #1552 of 1909 Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Mike

It's not a big deal but it was probably just an oversight by a Japanese engineer. This is a widely used term in the UK under PAL/Secam but for composite color video standards. In the US the digital designation for HDMI really should show 'YCbCr '. The 'Y' is the designation for luminance and the 'UV' are the two chrominance components. (Like I said), I can only ASSume it is an oversight by JVC engineering. Just more clear signs of rushing an otherwise BEA-utiful PJ. wink.gif

Oh and yes… it's on everyone's like this (just to be clear). smile.gif
Mr. Hatcher likes this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #1553 of 1909 Old 04-05-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

It's not a big deal but it was probably just an oversight by a Japanese engineer. This is a widely used term in the UK under PAL/Secam but for composite color video standards. In the US the digital designation for HDMI really should show 'YCbCr '. The 'Y' is the designation for luminance and the 'UV' are the two chrominance components. (Like I said), I can only ASSume it is an oversight by JVC engineering. Just more clear signs of rushing an otherwise BEA-utiful PJ. wink.gif
thanks was just making sure this wasn't. Just on mine
post #1554 of 1909 Old 04-06-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

Wow… this is really disturbing and at this point I'm starting to lose faith in JVC's engineering competency for correcting these issues. This on top of John's reported issue(s) in the HDMI handshake thread has me wanting to stay away from this 2nd update even though I would like to correct the LAN issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510259/jvc-dla-x500-dla-x700-dla-x900-rs49-rs57-rs67-hdmi-problems/450#post_24567796

MikeG - Do you know if JVC is still reviewing the HDMI issues on top of the now obvious non-working MPC?

It would be a shame if they don't fi all this quickly and really taint an otherwise excellent version this year! rolleyes.gif

Kevin

post #1555 of 1909 Old 04-06-2014, 08:05 PM

Ran into a bug tonight watching 3d movie went to menu to change something up down arrow keys didnt work the more i tried to figure it out i noticed buttons were changing focus finly powered off back on worked fine i did change focus earlyer so this may of had some effect on issue. Edit issue also persist in 2d before powering off
post #1556 of 1909 Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Wow… this is really disturbing and at this point I'm starting to lose faith in JVC's engineering competency for correcting these issues. This on top of John's reported issue(s) in the HDMI handshake thread has me wanting to stay away from this 2nd update even though I would like to correct the LAN issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510259/jvc-dla-x500-dla-x700-dla-x900-rs49-rs57-rs67-hdmi-problems/450#post_24567796

MikeG - Do you know if JVC is still reviewing the HDMI issues on top of the now obvious non-working MPC?

It would be a shame if they don't fi all this quickly and really taint an otherwise excellent version this year! rolleyes.gif

I know early on there was a whole JVC HDMI issue section, but i just don't get this handshake issue, i've never seen such a issue at all with any of my sources and any FW on the projector, is there any common hardware/devices causing these handshake issues, in some of my configuration i route through 7 different switches/amps before it hits the JVC and no issues... are people using cheap cables? i don't want to be so negative to the people having the problems but i would think theres has to be some common source or configuration... for all the people with the handshake issues have they tried the source direct to the projector... its just interesting that people jump right away to blaming JVC when obviously it does work and work well for a lot of people almost leads to believe theres some issues with the sources... vs the projector..
post #1557 of 1909 Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

That's great news for you and you should feel lucky you don't (have issues), but how are you making the claim/stmt that it's working well "for a lot of people"? Most of the owners on this thread are having some sort of issue still, even if it's just very slow HDMI switching (and yes it even happens source direct when changing resolutions with high speed cables). If JVC felt there weren't any issues here I assure you they wouldn't have already released two FW fixes (so far).

And BTW… some here are even multi-version owners with the exact same device config and had none of these issues with the previous PJ (only thing new in the chain is the PJ).

Kevin

post #1558 of 1909 Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 228
If you want to experience slow HDMI switching replace your long HDMI cable with a wireless HDMI system. eek.gif Ever since (1) my Onkyo 5008 (slow HDMI switching) died and I replaced it with a Denon 4520, (2) I replaced my wireless HDMI system (slow HDMI switching) with an HDBaseT system, and (3) I stuck my Darblet (wonky HDMI syncing) at the end of the signal chain, my switching speed and reliability has improved dramatically. It's still what I'd consider slow, but it's not "run-upstairs-take-a-leak-get-a-drink-come-back-down-and-the-projector-is-still-syncing" slow. smile.gif
post #1559 of 1909 Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper14 View Post

I know early on there was a whole JVC HDMI issue section, but i just don't get this handshake issue, i've never seen such a issue at all with any of my sources and any FW on the projector, is there any common hardware/devices causing these handshake issues, in some of my configuration i route through 7 different switches/amps before it hits the JVC and no issues... are people using cheap cables? i don't want to be so negative to the people having the problems but i would think theres has to be some common source or configuration... for all the people with the handshake issues have they tried the source direct to the projector... its just interesting that people jump right away to blaming JVC when obviously it does work and work well for a lot of people almost leads to believe theres some issues with the sources... vs the projector..

Two firmware updates trying to solve the issue. JVC must think it has something to do with their stuff...

Stef
post #1560 of 1909 Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

If you want to experience slow HDMI switching replace your long HDMI cable with a wireless HDMI system. eek.gif Ever since (1) my Onkyo 5008 (slow HDMI switching) died and I replaced it with a Denon 4520, (2) I replaced my wireless HDMI system (slow HDMI switching) with an HDBaseT system, and (3) I stuck my Darblet (wonky HDMI syncing) at the end of the signal chain, my switching speed and reliability has improved dramatically. It's still what I'd consider slow, but it's not "run-upstairs-take-a-leak-get-a-drink-come-back-down-and-the-projector-is-still-syncing" slow. smile.gif

I do think how people hook up their system and what people have in the chain can contribute to these problems. I tend to try and keep everything simple. And, since I don't like looking at equipment and little lights on that equipment, I have all my source gear back behind me near the projector. That way I can use a really short HDMI cable. 10' would be more than enough.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page