Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread

Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Badas's Avatar Badas
04:00 PM Liked: 12
post #1891 of 1997
05-29-2014 | Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

Recently I found a post on hifi-forum.de that suggested forcing deep color from your source (10- or 12-bit) AND disabling Clear Black to mitigate the CMD banding. I have found it helps smooth the transition between bands but not a lot. In the Hobbit scene I had posted about a month or so ago it helped mitigate the problem significantly, but in many other places including the Oblivion cockpit scene the bands are still very noticable.

Hey, Thanks for that.

I will give that a go.

I have two Oppo 103D's (don't ask why I have two). rolleyes.gif

I would set those on Y,Cr,Cb 4:4:4 36 bit right?
jjcook's Avatar jjcook
04:18 PM Liked: 22
post #1892 of 1997
05-29-2014 | Posts: 265
^^ Yes, YCrCb 4:4:4 30- or 36-bit

I currently have zero 103D's but with one in the plan smile.gif
Badas's Avatar Badas
04:27 PM Liked: 12
post #1893 of 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

^^ Yes, YCrCb 4:4:4 30- or 36-bit

I currently have zero 103D's but with one in the plan smile.gif

It is a smooth machine. I have two multizoned. However I set one on Zone A and one Zone B. I don't like using the buttons to change zones. So that is why I got two.
Badas's Avatar Badas
07:18 PM Liked: 12
post #1894 of 1997
Hey,

A few quick questions if I may?

Is there and other profiles other than THX that puts the lamp into high and open up the iris when put into 3D mode?
I tried user 1. However it didn't do this.

In 3D I put CMD into high as I noticed it helped a lot with 3D flicker. Any other tricks for x talk and extra brightness?

Dono smile.gif
krichter1's Avatar krichter1
05:45 PM Liked: 80
post #1895 of 1997
05-30-2014 | Posts: 2,651
All the User CP's have their own memories so whatever you set for iris for that mode will be remembered when you switch. 3D crosstalk cancel to the positive side (up to +8), max's out brightness at the expense of added ghosting (where present).

There's also no reason to use Deep color as nothing supports it from a media perspective nor from a video processing benefit perspective.
stef2's Avatar stef2
06:21 AM Liked: 39
post #1896 of 1997
06-09-2014 | Posts: 555
I recalibrated my RS57 last weekend at 300 hours. My brightness was much too high (+10) as I absolutely wanted to calibrate so that I could see level 17 to flash. Now, I calibrated so 18 flashes, losing level 17 detail. my brightness is now at +5 and I like the picture even a lot more, deeper and more contrasty. Losing a small bit of shadow detail is well worth it in my case! Gamma went from 2.22 to 2.28.

Also, I used the CMS to recalibrate, using 75% of REC709 as my target. My 100% saturation deltaE got slightly worse, still remaining all below 2.2, but oh boy, did my 75% saturation deltaE improve! Red, in particular, looked perfect at 100% sat, but 75 and 50% were so bad, way undersaturated...Glad I did this!
huddadudda's Avatar huddadudda
05:47 PM Liked: 10
post #1897 of 1997
07-05-2014 | Posts: 69
I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a HTPC hooked up to a Pioneer SC-79 AVR. I turned off all the video processing on my AVR and set my JVC to my specific settings. However each time I go to watch a Bluray (or move) when it starts the screen on the JVC will blank off for a few seconds and I hear the lens adjusting or whatever. Sometimes it throws up a green or purple screen between the HTPC and starting movie. Every time the movie is already playing (I hear the sound) but the video hasnt caught up. Is this normal? How can I fix this?
Larry Newcomb's Avatar Larry Newcomb
12:49 AM Liked: 17
post #1898 of 1997
07-06-2014 | Posts: 97
I hate to use the word "normal" but it sounds typical. Mine (and my RS35 before that) is pretty slow to process thru all of the HDMI handshakes. Relative to the audio, I get about a 5-7 second delay using my BPD-93 (Oppo) but very little with my HD-XA2 (HD-DVD).

I've had several HDMI player/receiver/projector combos and have yet to be impressed with HDMI (which theoretically could process in the "blink of an eye").
10:07 AM Liked: 80
post #1899 of 1997
07-06-2014 | Posts: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddadudda View Post
I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a HTPC hooked up to a Pioneer SC-79 AVR. I turned off all the video processing on my AVR and set my JVC to my specific settings. However each time I go to watch a Bluray (or move) when it starts the screen on the JVC will blank off for a few seconds and I hear the lens adjusting or whatever. Sometimes it throws up a green or purple screen between the HTPC and starting movie. Every time the movie is already playing (I hear the sound) but the video hasnt caught up. Is this normal? How can I fix this?
Agree with Larry and also it sounds like between your different inputs you either have the Cinema mode(s) engaged (or XV color), which mechanically moves a filter in the light path or you have different iris settings configured (which you will also hear).

I'm not an HTPC SME (talk to Zombie), but you should be able to force the output resolution which should all but eliminate the colored screens, (once the EDID is accepted/stored only the resolution changes remain as an issue from device to device but forcing the same output should solve your issues).
10:58 AM Liked: 10
post #1900 of 1997
07-06-2014 | Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Agree with Larry and also it sounds like between your different inputs you either have the Cinema mode(s) engaged (or XV color), which mechanically moves a filter in the light path or you have different iris settings configured (which you will also hear).

I'm not an HTPC SME (talk to Zombie), but you should be able to force the output resolution which should all but eliminate the colored screens, (once the EDID is accepted/stored only the resolution changes remain as an issue from device to device but forcing the same output should solve your issues).

I do have Cinema mode enabled but what seemed strange to me is when starting a movie this happens. I would have thought that the "settings" would already be set so when starting a movie the handshake was already done. Its not like I am switching between sources. It must be something causing a rez change. Not sure how to force the same rez between the HTPC and actual movie. The HTPC is set at 1080p, the AVR has video processing off and I even tried putting the JVC in 1080p mode instead of "auto" without any luck. What setting is the IRIS? I do not understand what IRIS is or does. This is my first PJ.

It seems the only way to fix this is when starting a movie to hit pause until the screen shows up.
Geof's Avatar Geof
11:00 AM Liked: 34
post #1901 of 1997
07-06-2014 | Posts: 6,019
This years models have the longest HDMI handshaking time I've ever seen - instead of taking milliseconds it's taking milli-hours.....
Although, the images are worth the wait.....
But I think Kevin is on the right track if you can force a output resolution (1080/24P) and colorspace that may help.

When you say "I hear the lens adjusting or whatever" - are you changing settings on the JVC at the same time??
11:09 AM Liked: 10
post #1902 of 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
This years models have the longest HDMI handshaking time I've ever seen - instead of taking milliseconds it's taking milli-hours.....
Although, the images are worth the wait.....
But I think Kevin is on the right track if you can force a output resolution (1080/24P) and colorspace that may help.

When you say "I hear the lens adjusting or whatever" - are you changing settings on the JVC at the same time??

Geof, no I am not changing the settings and have set the PJ to 1080p without success. The HTPC menu is there but then when starting up a movie it does the green/pink/purple screen/handshake again. I may try moving my HDMI input into my matrix switch instead of the AVR as it will hold/buffer the HDCP key - then use the AVR strictly for audio and see if that changes things. At least isolate it from the HTPC or AVR - working it back from there. If I recall when it was at the "factory reset" setting it didnt do this. I havent updated to the new firmware yet either.
10:46 PM Liked: 80
post #1903 of 1997
07-06-2014 | Posts: 2,651
Resolution changes occur also when going from say 1080p/60 from a players menu to 1080p/24 when the movie starts (thus a Rez change occurs). My Sony BD changers do this as well.

Are you saying when the Rez change occurs you hear what sounds like a faint motor whine? If so mine does that too which I believe has been attributed to eShift.
10:56 PM Liked: 10
post #1904 of 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Resolution changes occur also when going from say 1080p/60 from a players menu to 1080p/24 when the movie starts (thus a Rez change occurs). My Sony BD changers do this as well.

Are you saying when the Rez change occurs you hear what sounds like a faint motor whine? If so mine does that too which I believe has been attributed to eShift.

I have tried turning eShift on and off without success. Afraid your right maybe this is just "normal" when going from the HTPC to movie. I guess to find out the movie rez vs the HTPC rez would be to pull up the "info" on the PJ when in both and see if it shows & compare? Again I could swear before changing the settings it didnt do that, just cant remember which it was.
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108
11:54 PM Liked: 326
post #1905 of 1997
07-06-2014 | Posts: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddadudda View Post
What media player are you using on your HTPC to playback your movies? Some media players have a feature (like blu-ray players) that will change the resolution and refresh rate to match the video being played. A simple fix would be to go into your settings of your media player and disable it. I'd tell you exactly where to look if I knew which media player you had. Or what you could do, seeing how you're playing blu-ray, you can go into your video cards settings and choose to have it output the video signal at 24hz. This would mean when a movie starts it should already be in the mode you need it to be in. This way your PC won't have to change all of a sudden. Though this will depend on the media player you're using. The way I watch my blu-rays is with a media player that can completely skip menu's so all I ever watch is the main movie file.

The blanking you're seeing and all different colors is just a glitch with the HDMI board in it's handshaking abilities. The noise you're probably hearing is the cinema filter coming into place. I know from experience on my old X90 it was quite loud (a very violent sounding noise) when it popped into place.

I would say, if any of this is over your head, you may want to switch to a standalone blu-ray player which is by far more simple. Everything is setup on blu-ray players for people who don't need to have infinite control over everything or those who don't know much about technology. Neither of those things is a bad thing necessarily. I and others like me, love using HTPC's for the endless options, tweaking abilities, and complete control over every aspect of media playback possible. At a certain point though, there is a learning curve.
Sonofgod
04:38 PM Liked: 0
post #1906 of 1997
07-09-2014 | Posts: 1
I just recently bought the darbee 5000 and I'm trying hook it up to the projector but I'm not getting any signal I changed the hdmi cords and still no luck . The darbee seems to be getting the signal because it lights up with the blue light but the moment I place the hdmi in the projector the light shuts off and no picture . I also try leaving the hdmi in the projector when I turn it on with the same result . Any help would be appreciated in advance thanks.
12:03 AM Liked: 10
post #1907 of 1997
07-10-2014 | Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
What media player are you using on your HTPC to playback your movies? Some media players have a feature (like blu-ray players) that will change the resolution and refresh rate to match the video being played. A simple fix would be to go into your settings of your media player and disable it. I'd tell you exactly where to look if I knew which media player you had. Or what you could do, seeing how you're playing blu-ray, you can go into your video cards settings and choose to have it output the video signal at 24hz. This would mean when a movie starts it should already be in the mode you need it to be in. This way your PC won't have to change all of a sudden. Though this will depend on the media player you're using. The way I watch my blu-rays is with a media player that can completely skip menu's so all I ever watch is the main movie file.

The blanking you're seeing and all different colors is just a glitch with the HDMI board in it's handshaking abilities. The noise you're probably hearing is the cinema filter coming into place. I know from experience on my old X90 it was quite loud (a very violent sounding noise) when it popped into place.

I would say, if any of this is over your head, you may want to switch to a standalone blu-ray player which is by far more simple. Everything is setup on blu-ray players for people who don't need to have infinite control over everything or those who don't know much about technology. Neither of those things is a bad thing necessarily. I and others like me, love using HTPC's for the endless options, tweaking abilities, and complete control over every aspect of media playback possible. At a certain point though, there is a learning curve.

I am pretty technical but not a PJ geek...yet, this is my first. The HTPC is XBMC and running Total Media Theater for Bluray. I do think its a rez change but at factory settings on the PJ I dont recall it doing this until I started playing with the settings. Both XBMC and the HTPC are set at 1080p - I have to look at the refresh rate though which maybe the issue. Maybe move it from 60hz to 30hz?
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5
07:09 AM Liked: 549
post #1908 of 1997
07-10-2014 | Posts: 8,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofgod View Post
I just recently bought the darbee 5000 and I'm trying hook it up to the projector but I'm not getting any signal I changed the hdmi cords and still no luck . The darbee seems to be getting the signal because it lights up with the blue light but the moment I place the hdmi in the projector the light shuts off and no picture . I also try leaving the hdmi in the projector when I turn it on with the same result . Any help would be appreciated in advance thanks.
Are you using a short cable from AVR to Darbee and then a long cable from Darbee to projector? If so, reverse the cables and place the Darbee up with the projector.
globulo's Avatar globulo
07:43 PM Liked: 10
post #1909 of 1997
07-13-2014 | Posts: 38
Anyone knows why I hear this loud click when changing channels (it is not a click from the color profile, it's an audio click). Like a cable being pulled out with an amplifier turned on and volume up. It happens when I switch channels, when I go to VOD (infinity) and select a movie and just before the movie starts, switching from Cable to DVD (Oppo). Someone told me it's the HDMI signal getting "scrambled" or something like that when changing channels. I am not sure how the explanation was worded, but they put a "mute" before switching channels into a macro on the remote. However, when you press "Select" on VOD and a movie starts, same thing. Anyone knows what this loud click is? The louder the amp volume, the louder the click, so I know it comes from the speakers, not the projector. Thanks!
stef2's Avatar stef2
05:09 PM Liked: 39
post #1910 of 1997
07-17-2014 | Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofgod View Post

Welcome to the club...so you bought a Dar-bug? hundreds of tricks can easily be found on the Darbee thread. Hope you find one that makes it work for you, I managd to get mine to work about 90% of the time...
05:36 AM Liked: 549
post #1911 of 1997
07-18-2014 | Posts: 8,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by globulo View Post
Anyone knows why I hear this loud click when changing channels (it is not a click from the color profile, it's an audio click). Like a cable being pulled out with an amplifier turned on and volume up. It happens when I switch channels, when I go to VOD (infinity) and select a movie and just before the movie starts, switching from Cable to DVD (Oppo). Someone told me it's the HDMI signal getting "scrambled" or something like that when changing channels. I am not sure how the explanation was worded, but they put a "mute" before switching channels into a macro on the remote. However, when you press "Select" on VOD and a movie starts, same thing. Anyone knows what this loud click is? The louder the amp volume, the louder the click, so I know it comes from the speakers, not the projector. Thanks!
It sounds like you are talking about a loud click when switching sources. If that is the case, then it is a relay clicking in your AVR and it is normal.
drilloav's Avatar drilloav
11:57 AM Liked: 10
post #1912 of 1997
07-19-2014 | Posts: 56
Hi guys
Considering the 500 and the 700 as replacement for my panasonic projector.
I have read a lot but admittedly not all the threads on both models.
Is there a consensus on whether it is worth the extra dosh and In What circumstances.
I have gathered that the extra contrast is only useful if u have a light controlled and dark walled room which i have largely but even in the best environments is it significant what double contrast would achieve?
I know you get thx which is a handy starter mode on the 700.
I only use 3 ratios on my panasonic so having 10 memories instead of 5 is no use to me
The electric lens cover would be handy but not worth the money by itself.
Is there some thing else about single vs dual iris and a view that if u need extra lumens that single is handy? Sorry I seem to have gathered some but not all necessary info on this or could be talking tosh?
Of course what's worth it to one may not be to another but any opinions would be welcome
Many thanks
12:00 PM Liked: 549
post #1913 of 1997
07-19-2014 | Posts: 8,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by drilloav View Post
Hi guys
Considering the 500 and the 700 as replacement for my panasonic projector.
I have read a lot but admittedly not all the threads on both models.
Is there a consensus on whether it is worth the extra dosh and In What circumstances.
I have gathered that the extra contrast is only useful if u have a light controlled and dark walled room which i have largely but even in the best environments is it significant what double contrast would achieve?
I know you get thx which is a handy starter mode on the 700.
I only use 3 ratios on my panasonic so having 10 memories instead of 5 is no use to me
The electric lens cover would be handy but not worth the money by itself.
Is there some thing else about single vs dual iris and a view that if u need extra lumens that single is handy? Sorry I seem to have gathered some but not all necessary info on this or could be talking tosh?
Of course what's worth it to one may not be to another but any opinions would be welcome
Many thanks
While a light controlled room helps, it also comes down to screen size and gain of screen. If your setup is going to require you to run with the iris all the way open, then there is less of an advantage to the higher contrast projector. If your set up allows you to close down the iris, then there will be more of a difference.
drilloav's Avatar drilloav
03:15 PM Liked: 10
post #1914 of 1997
07-19-2014 | Posts: 56
Thankyou Mike
Roma Victor's Avatar Roma Victor
06:37 AM Liked: 0
post #1915 of 1997
07-26-2014 | Posts: 1
Asking for my membership. Mine will land down here this weekend. Will be used with Oppo 105D and Supra 1.4 HDMI cable. Also, 100" white 16:9 screen with 1.0 gain.

Any trouble with 12meters of HDMI cable 1.4?

Its a 700R substituting an old Sony VPL VW200.

According to Sound and Vision, leave it in the THX mode from the start. Are you OK with this?

Received model DLA-X700RBU Anyone knows why this model number? Also, can you guys point me an excelent ceiling mount suport?
mhafner's Avatar mhafner
02:32 AM Liked: 29
post #1916 of 1997
07-30-2014 | Posts: 4,612
My JVC RS20 has a posterizing bug that shows up mostly on skin in motion. I thought that was a chip issue and has been solved since. But now I have seen the issue also on my X700. Has anybody else seen this on their latest generation models?
08:17 AM Liked: 549
post #1917 of 1997
07-31-2014 | Posts: 8,474
We have an RS-57 B-stock available. Call if interested.
Kris Deering's Avatar Kris Deering
11:10 PM Liked: 400
post #1918 of 1997
07-31-2014 | Posts: 7,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
My JVC RS20 has a posterizing bug that shows up mostly on skin in motion. I thought that was a chip issue and has been solved since. But now I have seen the issue also on my X700. Has anybody else seen this on their latest generation models?
I used to see it all the time with the early JVC models but haven't noticed it with theist two generations. What material are you using to see it. There is some motion induced contouring with some pans but it is extremely rare and not the eye sore it once was.
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108
12:06 AM Liked: 326
post #1919 of 1997
08-01-2014 | Posts: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I used to see it all the time with the early JVC models but haven't noticed it with theist two generations. What material are you using to see it. There is some motion induced contouring with some pans but it is extremely rare and not the eye sore it once was.
I have to agree with this statement. The RS40/50/60 seems to be the last generation that had issues with MIC and posterization. Motion has been my main issue with JVC projectors and since the 2012 models and newer motion has been greatly improved. Kris is 100% correct in saying that motion issues are rare on these new models. With 24p material especially it seems to be doing a sufficient job, in the fact that, motion never looks "odd". To the eye it seems like there's no added "smear" caused my MIC or sample and hold effect or any other motion deficiency on the chip/lens level. In a side-by-side comparison with a DLP projector is where you can see it's slightly behind, but with 24p material I think we're splitting hairs and when it is noticeable it's on medium speed motion like faces in a shot moving around. The DLP projectors holds the resolution a bit better. It's only us projector "junkies" that will likely see an issue. Compared to some LCD flat panels that are selling today, the JVC does motion WAY better. My friend bought a 60" Sony with edge LED's and motion looks horrible. To me it's almost unwatchable.
mhafner's Avatar mhafner
01:39 AM Liked: 29
post #1920 of 1997
08-01-2014 | Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I noticed it sometimes on episodes of "Falling Skies".
Tags: Jvc Dla X700r

Gear in this thread - X700r by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread