Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 1964 Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
And BTW for those interested…

Looks like we made a sound choice in buying this years model instead of waiting until the 2015 "true UHD" models are announced at Cedia (because there won't be one!).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1964 Old 09-26-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Looks like we made a sound choice in buying this years model instead of waiting until the 2015 "true UHD" models are announced at Cedia (because there won't be one!).

Makes us look like fricken geniuses....

Or not....

But it does make me glad I upgraded last year and didn't decide to wait until this year....

Geof
post #1953 of 1964 Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Hey Mike.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I still had a few hiccups post flashing the r1211.1 update, but since I got my Logitech Harmony Touch remote programmed/setup properly to power all of my components On/Off in the proper sequence and time delays, I have only had a couple issues...nothing major that I couldn't figure out myself. I also turned off 4K upscaling in my Sony AVR and just let my Oppo 103D handle that with BDs now. I don't know if that helped, but that's one thing I tried during my troubleshooting.

I think I'm just going to leave it alone because I spent countless hours troubleshooting trying different combinations of settings and wiring schemes that I don't want to break what I currently have working for me. I just hope JVC comes out with a LED and/or Laser light engine native 4K pj that's affordable and still has the same or better contrast and black levels within the next few years so I can upgrade and not spend a lot of money on a bulb every year. I've been hearing that JVC is working on a new product lineup for next year, but I would probably wait until the following year so they have another year to work out the bugs (I hate being a beta tester, ain't nobody got time for that).

By the way; Where's the best place to get a new JVC X700R bulb (part # PK-L2312UG)? I've looked around, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of "reputable" options out there.
Give me a call. We sell OEM JVC lamps.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1954 of 1964 Old 09-26-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
Makes us look like fricken geniuses....

Or not....

But it does make me glad I upgraded last year and didn't decide to wait until this year....
Abso-frickn-lutely!

Kevin

post #1955 of 1964 Old 09-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It certainly feels good to know that my X700 is still the PJ I would buy this year...and also that no 4K discs will be available until at least a year from now...my Blurays look even better!

Stef
post #1956 of 1964 Old 09-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since I'll be holding on to my RS57 for at least another year, I've decided that now is the time for me to get serious about getting the most out of the display, and that means having it well calibrated.

I've been interested in learning to calibrate for a while, and I've also been interested in getting a Lumagen (probably mini) and being able to do an autocalibration with one of the software packages.

I understand that I'm going to have to dig through the calibration forum for help with various things, but I'd love to get a good perspective on some things first.

The two main commercial software solutions I'm aware of are Chromapure and Calman. Is there any significant difference between the two as far as what they can do calibration wise? Do both offer the same amount of gray scale calibration points, the same options for getting the best gamma calibration, do both have options for BT1886, etc...? And then as far as user interface, is one considered more user friendly than the other, especially when considering use by a novice? And do either of them have any issues with being used with the JVC projectors and Lumagen?

And then about the meter to use for the measurements, what is considered very good for getting accurate measurement for an accurate calibration for the JVCs? I've seen lots references to the "Display 3 Pro" and others. What are common options used by enthusiasts here who calibrate their JVCs?

Also, in some of the reading I've done I've come across comments about calibration meters not being accurate unless you have a "spectro". What is that referring to? I'm guessing some type of spectrophotometer that emits standardized light/color used to calibrate the light meter. Is that correct? If so, how important is that for a good calibration? I see lots of discussions about using this and that light light meter for calibrations and rarely a mention of using a "spectro", but then I see it occasionally come up making it sound like it is essential. Is this just more for if someone is particularly obsessive about absolute perfect accuracy but most don't feel the need for it (the decent meters most buy are "relatively" accurate)? Or is it really something most use but just don't mention when discussing their calibration and equipment?

Also, I've read some stuff about doing a BT1886 gamma calibration and saw reference to the need to be able to accurately measure the black floor for the curve to be calc'd properly. Is that covered by the color meters like the Display Pro3, or is yet another different type of light meter needed to get an accurate measurement of the black floor?

So basically, I'm feeling pretty motivated to spend some money and some time calibrating my RS57. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Lumagen mini, but I'm not sure about the calibration software and meter.

Any advice (other than "go dig in the calibration forum" ) would be much appreciated.

Last edited by seanbryan; 09-26-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #1957 of 1964 Old 09-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can't speak to Calman vs Chromapure, but FYI until the end of the month Calman Enthusiast comes with the meter for free, just see their store page. I've been waiting for Calman to support JVC 2014 autocal without a Lumagen, but I may just have to bite on this sale ahead of the autocal support.

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #1958 of 1964 Old 09-27-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
Since I'll be holding on to my RS57 for at least another year, I've decided that now is the time for me to get serious about getting the most out of the display, and that means having it well calibrated.

I've been interested in learning to calibrate for a while, and I've also been interested in getting a Lumagen (probably mini) and being able to do an autocalibration with one of the software packages.

I understand that I'm going to have to dig through the calibration forum for help with various things, but I'd love to get a good perspective on some things first.

The two main commercial software solutions I'm aware of are Chromapure and Calman. Is there any significant difference between the two as far as what they can do calibration wise? Do both offer the same amount of gray scale calibration points, the same options for getting the best gamma calibration, do both have options for BT1886, etc...? And then as far as user interface, is one considered more user friendly than the other, especially when considering use by a novice? And do either of them have any issues with being used with the JVC projectors and Lumagen?

And then about the meter to use for the measurements, what is considered very good for getting accurate measurement for an accurate calibration for the JVCs? I've seen lots references to the "Display 3 Pro" and others. What are common options used by enthusiasts here who calibrate their JVCs?

Also, in some of the reading I've done I've come across comments about calibration meters not being accurate unless you have a "spectro". What is that referring to? I'm guessing some type of spectrophotometer that emits standardized light/color used to calibrate the light meter. Is that correct? If so, how important is that for a good calibration? I see lots of discussions about using this and that light light meter for calibrations and rarely a mention of using a "spectro", but then I see it occasionally come up making it sound like it is essential. Is this just more for if someone is particularly obsessive about absolute perfect accuracy but most don't feel the need for it (the decent meters most buy are "relatively" accurate)? Or is it really something most use but just don't mention when discussing their calibration and equipment?

Also, I've read some stuff about doing a BT1886 gamma calibration and saw reference to the need to be able to accurately measure the black floor for the curve to be calc'd properly. Is that covered by the color meters like the Display Pro3, or is yet another different type of light meter needed to get an accurate measurement of the black floor?

So basically, I'm feeling pretty motivated to spend some money and some time calibrating my RS57. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Lumagen mini, but I'm not sure about the calibration software and meter.

Any advice (other than "go dig in the calibration forum" ) would be much appreciated.
I have Chromapure and the i1D3 Pro (the "Pro" version has Tom's meter correction factors built into the license file and that improves accuracy to some extent). That works well for me. But either program will get you there. You need to sort thru the various options and packages offered by both companies and I also looked at their software licensing terms before deciding on Chromapure. YMMV. One difference is Calman could be used to calibrate select JVC projectors directly with no need for a Lumagen. I do not believe the current version of Calman can calibrate an RS57 directly tho (You'll have to check with the Calman folks to see if and when this capability will be added). Chromapure has no such capability so you'll need a lumagen if you wish to autocalibrate.

Geof
post #1959 of 1964 Old 09-27-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

I've used both Calman and Chromapure to calibrate a JVC with a Lumagen Mini 3D. Tom Huffman develops Chromapure and he is very knowledgeable. He also helped fix a bug in the software that related to an issue I was having. I appreciated his responsiveness. However, while the bug was being fixed, I tried Calman. I ended up liking Calman even better and bought a license for it despite already having a license for Chromapure. Calman's menus can be daunting at first, but I like how much information the software provides. I felt like I always knew the calibration was as good as it could be when I finished with Calman, while I didn't feel like I received the same reporting capabilities in Chromapure. I do not mean to say that Calman is actually any more accurate than Chromapure. I think most people in the calibration forums think they both do a good autocal. I'm just saying that I felt more confident that Calman had done a good job based on its reports.

For the meter, I use an i1 Display Pro 3. You can get a calibrated version of that meter that profiles it against other known good meters. It may still not be as accurate and as fast as other meters, especially at low light levels, but for me it was the best price/performance tradeoff. And it is reasonably quick in any event. A full 125-point autocal takes less than an hour on my system.

I use BT1886 for my gamma curve. It looks incredible. However, my meter cannot accurately measure the black floor on a JVC. I have to manually enter an approximation of what I believe the black floor is. I did not some iterative testing where I changed this value and viewed the results. I think I used .01 cd/m2, but perhaps other values would look better to others or in other environments. Changing that value will change the BT1886 target curve somewhat, as its gamma curve is calculated based on the white peak and black floor.

One tip regardless of meter and software, if you are using a USB-to-serial adapter to have Chromapure or Calman drive the Lumagen, be sure to get a good one. I suspect any of the ones that work to do the firmware update for the JVC projectors would work. I originally had a flaky adapter that made the calibrations hang at various points midway through. I thought it was the software until I figured out it was the adapter.
post #1960 of 1964 Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

As the owners of X700R model, I do own latest X500R model and I just love it, I was thinking in upgrading to X700R or X900R but would be there any difference?
I know the dynamic iris would enhance the contrast, but maybe for my room it won't be noticeable? I do have screen 135 inches, elite screen gain 1:0, throwing distance is 4.2 meters with maxed zoom and viewing distance is something about 3.5 meters.
post #1961 of 1964 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Guys,

As the owners of X700R model, I do own latest X500R model and I just love it, I was thinking in upgrading to X700R or X900R but would be there any difference?
I know the dynamic iris would enhance the contrast, but maybe for my room it won't be noticeable? I do have screen 135 inches, elite screen gain 1:0, throwing distance is 4.2 meters with maxed zoom and viewing distance is something about 3.5 meters.
I'd stick with what you got. You'd be better off spending the difference in cost on something like a Lumagen than getting one of the upper models.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #1962 of 1964 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Damned straight. Turned out to be the perfect move. I'm quite happy to go at least another year with the RS57.
I'm on a two year upgrade itch anyway, so perhaps I'll upgrade next year.

The recent Epson laser light engine projector has me more excited about what a company like JVC or Sony might do with that technology. I wonder if JVC can figure a way of substantially increasing contrast via modulation of the laser.

But even if there isn't a gotta-have-it projector next year I can imagine the RS57 might be my first 3-year projector. The clarity, black levels and color are so great, and with the 10 lens memory pre-sets it suits my home theater very well.

Rich H

post #1963 of 1964 Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed and until UHD is all spec'd out and content readily available it'd be foolish not to stand pat for the foreseeable future (at least that's what Geof & Jon keep telling me!).

Although… I did finally partially retire my Pioneer Elite plasma in the family room for a Samsung 4K 55" 8550 and I gotta say after viewing the UHD video pack they included, 4K is truly jaw dropping (like the day I skeptically (even hesitantly), upgraded from LD to DVD… took a few days to recover from the bruising on the bottom of my jaw!). Will be a cool day to actually see a true 4K JVC in 110" mode!

Kevin

post #1964 of 1964 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 271
The RS57 special Cedia pricing ends today - just FYI. If you have been thinking about getting this projector - today is a good day to do it !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X700r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page