Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 1982 Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 279
^^
Even if eShift is turned off in the projector's menu system, it will engage when you use the internal test patterns. There's nothing you can do about this. The best workaround I've found is to turn eShift off, turn the internal test pattern off, close down the aperture to its minimum manual setting, go right up to the screen, and use an externally-generated pattern (I use a solid green field) to focus the image. Using this method with my RS4910, I'm able to clearly make out individual pixels over the entire image (although they're slighly less sharp in the bottom corners of the screen). However, I do use a good deal of vertical lens shift and I'm almost at the minimum possible throw for my screen size, both of which would definitely account for the very slight defocusing I see at the absolute screen corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1982 Old 10-09-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
^^
Even if eShift is turned off in the projector's menu system, it will engage when you use the internal test patterns. There's nothing you can do about this. The best workaround I've found is to turn eShift off, turn the internal test pattern off, close down the aperture to its minimum manual setting, go right up to the screen, and use an externally-generated pattern (I use a solid green field) to focus the image. Using this method with my RS4910, I'm able to clearly make out individual pixels over the entire image (although they're slighly less sharp in the bottom corners of the screen). However, I do use a good deal of vertical lens shift and I'm almost at the minimum possible throw for my screen size, both of which would definitely account for the very slight defocusing I see at the absolute screen corners.
Thanks Schwa, that worked fine. It turned out that I was really close, but not right on. White is not a good choice because the gray over white contrast is lower, but green did the trick. I also noted that with the aperature stopped down even just three points, the astigmatism tails on each color were minimized. At that point it was also easier to see individual pixel lines for zone adjustment.

With this finer focus and the stopped down aperature I decided to reset the pixel offset and start over on pixel alignment. Since we're stuck with the wide lines during that operation and green is stationary, I did blue zone adjustment first, cyan vs white background, preferring it always to the left side of the green line. Let it just peek over green on the left side, and then move it right until blue completely disappears. Then the same with red since you now know exactly where blue is underneath green. The results were excellent with by far the best detail and color accuracy I have seen on that set.

--Bill
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X700r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page