Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 1997 Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 296
^^
Even if eShift is turned off in the projector's menu system, it will engage when you use the internal test patterns. There's nothing you can do about this. The best workaround I've found is to turn eShift off, turn the internal test pattern off, close down the aperture to its minimum manual setting, go right up to the screen, and use an externally-generated pattern (I use a solid green field) to focus the image. Using this method with my RS4910, I'm able to clearly make out individual pixels over the entire image (although they're slighly less sharp in the bottom corners of the screen). However, I do use a good deal of vertical lens shift and I'm almost at the minimum possible throw for my screen size, both of which would definitely account for the very slight defocusing I see at the absolute screen corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1997 Old 10-09-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
^^
Even if eShift is turned off in the projector's menu system, it will engage when you use the internal test patterns. There's nothing you can do about this. The best workaround I've found is to turn eShift off, turn the internal test pattern off, close down the aperture to its minimum manual setting, go right up to the screen, and use an externally-generated pattern (I use a solid green field) to focus the image. Using this method with my RS4910, I'm able to clearly make out individual pixels over the entire image (although they're slighly less sharp in the bottom corners of the screen). However, I do use a good deal of vertical lens shift and I'm almost at the minimum possible throw for my screen size, both of which would definitely account for the very slight defocusing I see at the absolute screen corners.
Thanks Schwa, that worked fine. It turned out that I was really close, but not right on. White is not a good choice because the gray over white contrast is lower, but green did the trick. I also noted that with the aperature stopped down even just three points, the astigmatism tails on each color were minimized. At that point it was also easier to see individual pixel lines for zone adjustment.

With this finer focus and the stopped down aperature I decided to reset the pixel offset and start over on pixel alignment. Since we're stuck with the wide lines during that operation and green is stationary, I did blue zone adjustment first, cyan vs white background, preferring it always to the left side of the green line. Let it just peek over green on the left side, and then move it right until blue completely disappears. Then the same with red since you now know exactly where blue is underneath green. The results were excellent with by far the best detail and color accuracy I have seen on that set.

--Bill
post #1983 of 1997 Old 10-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently picked up the lumagen radiance mini. I'll be doing an autocal with Calman5 and the C6 meter in the near future but I'm waiting on the availability of the C6.

Before the meter arrives and I delve into calibration, I have a few basic set-up questions about the lumagen and JVC.

Is there a consensus on which output color resolution is best with the lumagen for the JVC? Is 4:2:2 recommended over using 4:4:4?

And what is recommended for the "dithering" setting?

Also, I have found that using the "genlock" causes HDMI hang-up issues with the RS57 with resolution changes (1080p60 to 1080p24 and back), so I have disengaged that. Is there any significant down side to not using genlock?
post #1984 of 1997 Old 11-22-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I turned my projector on today and I am getting nothing through either hmdi inputs. I tried using a blu ray player connected directly to the back on the projector and blank screen on both hmdi inputs. Switch through several hmdi cables and nothing Any suggestions?

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #1985 of 1997 Old 11-22-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Maybe try unplugging it for 15 minutes but other than that good luck - it doesn't sound good.....

Geof
post #1986 of 1997 Old 11-22-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll in the middle od trying the unplugged process. Jvc csr said I need to update my firmware. I've updated once but haven't done the last one or two updates since last winter. That will be my next step.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
post #1987 of 1997 Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Evidently jvc has two different pages to download the software with one link labels the most current software, but actually has the old firmware.

I found this out after hours of struggling with getting the first portion downloaded and not being able to get the second set to download. Talked to jvc support four times and though all very nice and helpful didn't have the answer. After the last call I decided to delete all firmware off my laptop and download from the link they supplied. I reinstalled the first portion and sure enough the second portion downloaded too. I fired up the projector and I now have the hdmi inputs accepting a signal. Long day, but I am so glad I don't have to send in my projector for repairs.

I will credit the support staff, they said it was a firmware issue and they were correct

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1988 of 1997 Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Got to be a big relief to have it working.
Did something in the HDMI chain change since you last used the '57 (or was this the first time you fired it up)?

Geof
post #1989 of 1997 Old 12-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
My original bulb popped on my X700 after ~2900 hours...bummer.

- I had to totally open up the projector and clean out all the little pieces of glass (and dust just for preventative maintenance while I was inside of it). There's like 30 screws just to get it opened up all the way. :/
- I cleaned the glass where the lamp is, and the main lens, with a camera lens cleaner kit.
- I went ahead and flashed the latest firmware (r1211.6).
- I installed a fresh lamp, courtesy of AVS. Thanks Mike!
- I reset the lamp timer (press the 'Back-OK-Hide' buttons really quickly, then immediately hold 'Down Arrow' for a few seconds until the lights on the projector flash.

How I cleaned my interior glass pane and front lens/optics:
Lens Cleaning Kit (you can get them on Amazon for <$20).

The best technique I found is as follows:
1) Be sure the projector has been unplugged for at least an hour.
2) I held a bright LED flashlight at an angle to the glass that made it easier to see the particles (and streaks left behind from cleaning with the solution).
3) Blow off the glass with canned air to remove any larger particulates that could potentially scratch the glass during the wiping process.
4) Gently wipe the glass in a circular motion with two pieces of lint-free paper doused with cleaning solution.
5) Quickly switch over to a fresh microfiber cloth and gently wipe the glass in a circular motion to dry up the solution before it has time to leave streaks.
6) Use the canned air again to blow off any other debris.
7) Repeat as necessary...

This took a few tries before I got it streak and debris free, but the image is super nice and bright now.

Also, cleaning all of the dust off the fan blades made the projector quieter which is always a plus.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 12-08-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #1990 of 1997 Old 12-06-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I hope you waited to clean it out to let the mercury gases escape. Once that happens, you are really supposed to let the room air out for a full day (or longer), unless you have a really large and well-ventilated room. When it happened to my RS-45, I just vacuum'd it up with a $50 vacuum cleaner and then threw away the vacuum cleaner.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1991 of 1997 Old 12-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I hope you waited to clean it out to let the mercury gases escape. Once that happens, you are really supposed to let the room air out for a full day (or longer), unless you have a really large and well-ventilated room. When it happened to my RS-45, I just vacuum'd it up with a $50 vacuum cleaner and then threw away the vacuum cleaner.
Well, it's in my living room which is open to my kitchen and dining room so it's a pretty big space. And I didn't do all of this stuff for like a week after the bulb popped, so hopefully I wasn't exposed to anything too harmful. I used my vacuum cleaner and taped a straw to the tip so I could get it in all the little corners and tight spots.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #1992 of 1997 Old 12-07-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I just put a new bulb in mine and I'm taking the opportunity, with the image at it's brightest, to watch as much 3D as I can.

Boy is it great. Spiderman 2 was amazing in 3D and I just finished Godzilla.

Godzilla in 3D on a big screen had me feeling sometimes like I was having a waking dream/nightmare, it felt so real.
rboster, DavidHir and Mr. Hatcher like this.
post #1993 of 1997 Old 12-08-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
My original bulb popped on my X700 after ~2900 hours...bummer.

- I had to totally open up the projector and clean out all the little pieces of glass (and dust just for preventative maintenance while I was inside of it). There's like 30 screws just to get it opened up all the way. :/
- I cleaned the glass where the lamp is, and the main lens, with a camera lens cleaner kit.
- I went ahead and flashed the latest firmware (r1211.6).
- I installed a fresh lamp, courtesy of AVS. Thanks Mike!
- I reset the lamp timer (press the 'Back-OK-Hide' buttons really quickly, then immediately hold 'Down Arrow' for a few seconds until the lights on the projector flash.

Even though it took quite some time to do all of this, the image is super nice and bright now. And cleaning all of the dust off the fan blades made the projector quieter which is always a plus. Can't wait to watch Pacific Rim in 3D this weekend!
2900 hour actual hours sounds like a lot though! My RS4810 is at 670 so I am hoping I have a long time yet. My biggest issue might be brightness using a 9 foot wide 1.0 gain screen (ST100) at some point but I don't like very bright 2D images either.

post #1994 of 1997 Old 12-08-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Do they still recommend about 100 hours of lamp break-in before calibration?

post #1995 of 1997 Old 12-08-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
Got to be a big relief to have it working.
Did something in the HDMI chain change since you last used the '57 (or was this the first time you fired it up)?
Nothing in the video looped changed (all audio). So that's the root of my confusion. It's just a coincidence that the hdmi output issue arose during this time. Once I installed the latest firmware (both portions), I was able to get an image from either HDMI input on the JVC.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1996 of 1997 Old 12-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
2900 hour actual hours sounds like a lot though! My RS4810 is at 670 so I am hoping I have a long time yet. My biggest issue might be brightness using a 9 foot wide 1.0 gain screen (ST100) at some point but I don't like very bright 2D images either.
Yeah, and those were some bumpy hours in the beginning. Prior to the firmware updates I had to hard power cycle the projector quite a few times due to the HDMI handshake/lockup issues. So that knocked quite a few hours off the life of the original lamp. I'm hoping to get at least 3500 hours out of the new bulb (assuming I don't have anymore issues)...fingers crossed. These new lamps JVC has been using for the past couple years seem to hold their brightness well over the course of their life. But I do also have a dnp HG23 (2.3 gain) 120" screen, so with a new bulb I have to start with my manual iris set at -12 to -9 Auto 2 depending on what content I'm watching, else it will be too bright. So my screen really helps me retain a nice and bright image over the life of the lamp; I can just keep opening up the manual iris as the lamp ages to keep it where I like it.

So depending on the screen type and gain you pair with a JVC projector, YMMV on brightness over the lamp lifespan. I'm so ready for laser and/or LED projectors to be the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Do they still recommend about 100 hours of lamp break-in before calibration?
Yes
DavidHir likes this.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #1997 of 1997 Old Today, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I'm ready for LED/Laser to be the norm only when the life is 50,000 hours at max brightness. That will give me a warm and fuzzy and allow me to keep the projector longer than year.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X700r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page