Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread - Page 68 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 439
whoa, that sucks rboster. Sorry to hear of your trouble. I hope my "green line" problem isn't on the road to the same thing. Though it's still a rare problem for me.

Best of luck and keep us informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
whoa, that sucks rboster. Sorry to hear of your trouble. I hope my "green line" problem isn't on the road to the same thing. Though it's still a rare problem for me.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Thanks Rich for the kind thoughts...

It was strange (to some degree). About a month ago, one day I stopped getting a signal from either HDMI input. After a long day downloading firmware etc, the picture came back...so new firmware "seemed" to solve the problem.

Fast forward to this week, I watched a movie Tuesday night and no issues at all. Last night I went to fire the projector up to watch the KU game and ....nothing....no indicator lights on in front. A complete DOA. So, I'm not sure if the previous issue was the first indicator of this current DOA? Or, are the two issues unrelated? I had to chuckle, since I pulled my receipt I realize I bought the projector 363 days ago from when it died....so happy anniversary JVC!!

All that being said, it puts out the best picture I've ever experienced in my set up. So even paying a $100 to ship it in for repairs, if I never have another issue, I still be pleased with the purchase.

Ron

PS: Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your projector. I'll make sure to post the results of the repairs (when needed to be fixed etc). I'll also post my experience with Mendtronix repair facility.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
For Sale: 3 JTR triple 8HT Speakers w/stands for $1,600
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post31958617
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:

Last edited by rboster; 01-08-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Games delay large? (imput lag)
Old 01-08-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid34 View Post
Games delay large? (imput lag)
Yes, it's ~125 ms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 Amplifier
My Crazy Projector Journey!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
thank you so much
soon I will take (and proektsonny screen under him some advise limit of 110 inches that was
Old 01-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I thought I'd post my question here too, since the X500 and X700 are so similar.

How do you guys adjust the sharpness on your projector?

On every guide I've read, it is suggested that you increase the sharpness to the max setting, then decrease it until the white double edge completely disappears.

There is a setting, one of the MPC sliders, that seems to have something to do with sharpness, but there is no way cranking it up to the max produces any visible artifact (it does something, but the effect remains subtle, even at 100...)

So, is there another setting on the X700 to adjust sharpness?

Stef
Old 01-11-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no "sharpness" setting like there used to be on older JVCs. The non-adjustable sharpness setting is great out of the box so there's no need to worry about adjusting sharpness. To increase "sharpness" you have the option to enable MPC (the enhance slider) and/or enable Clear Black.

Personally I have enhance set to 15 for most content, eshift off, and clear black off. This is enough "sharpness" enhancement for me. YMMV and you may want to have other features enabled but know that having them on at a certain point will do more harm than good. Use common sense. Use it in modest amounts.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
There is no "sharpness" setting like there used to be on older JVCs. The non-adjustable sharpness setting is great out of the box so there's no need to worry about adjusting sharpness. To increase "sharpness" you have the option to enable MPC (the enhance slider) and/or enable Clear Black.

Personally I have enhance set to 15 for most content, eshift off, and clear black off. This is enough "sharpness" enhancement for me. YMMV and you may want to have other features enabled but know that having them on at a certain point will do more harm than good. Use common sense. Use it in modest amounts.
Thanks for your wisdom. I just like to have the option, even though I might not use it. I like my picture to look digital, if that means anything.

Stef
Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Have a couple RS57 B-stocks coming in. Call us for details.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Have a couple RS57 B-stocks coming in. Call us for details.
My beloved 700 comes home tomorrow...can't wait to fire it up and catch up on the movies that I have backlogged over the last three weeks.

For those eyeing the B-stocks Mike mentioned.....I have no regrets with this projector and would buy it again in a heartbeat. My only regret is not jumping on the JVC bandwagon earlier (though my Planar served me well).

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator

Last edited by rboster; 01-28-2015 at 01:51 PM. Reason: correcting my "duh"
Old 01-28-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
(though my Planar severed me well).
I sure hope you got stitched back together OK!!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
I sure hope you got stitched back together OK!!
LOL

Yes, the planar is serving a hard 20 for his crimes.
AV Science Sales 5 likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Old 01-30-2015, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Does anybody know what kind of contrast I can expect from the rs57 with close to shortest throw? (pretty close to max zoom)

I have an rs40 right now, but will be upgrading screen to 145" wide 2:35 screen, and its close to max zoom for my projector throw distance. Just wondering if I will at least double or even triple contrast right now. RS40 is about middle throw with current screen size. thanks
Old 01-30-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
Does anybody know what kind of contrast I can expect from the rs57 with close to shortest throw? (pretty close to max zoom)

I have an rs40 right now, but will be upgrading screen to 145" wide 2:35 screen, and its close to max zoom for my projector throw distance. Just wondering if I will at least double or even triple contrast right now. RS40 is about middle throw with current screen size. thanks
Cine4home cites 980 lumens at max zoom and 31000:1 native contrast. Enabling the dynamic iris will get you to over 350000:1 measured dynamic contrast.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Cine4home cites 980 lumens at max zoom and 31000:1 native contrast. Enabling the dynamic iris will get you to over 350000:1 measured dynamic contrast.
Thanks Seegs

Im assuming this is with the iris fully opened. Or is it closed.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
Thanks Seegs

Im assuming this is with the iris fully opened. Or is it closed.
That's with the iris fully open. Fully closed you get 380 lumens at max zoom and 62000: 1 native contrast. But remember one of the biggest advantages this model has over previous generation projectors from JVC is the inclusion of a dynamic iris. It's generally well programmed and I think most people would leave it enabled. With the DI you get the best of both worlds, bright peak whites and dark inky blacks.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-30-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
That's with the iris fully open. Fully closed you get 380 lumens at max zoom and 62000: 1 native contrast. But remember one of the biggest advantages this model has over previous generation projectors from JVC is the inclusion of a dynamic iris. It's generally well programmed and I think most people would leave it enabled. With the DI you get the best of both worlds, bright peak whites and dark inky blacks.
But the gamma is generally not stable as a result of the DI?

Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
But the gamma is generally not stable as a result of the DI?
You wouldn't have a well implemented dynamic iris without dynamic gamma. The gamma changes in conjunction with the iris on purpose. This is to offset brightness compression. If you were to have the dynamic iris enganged without gamma compensation the image would simply get darker. Whites would look dull and the image in general would have a "flatter" appearance especially in dark scenes where the iris closes down the most.

For the JVC I think their implementation is just a tad too aggressive and the iris mechanism is just a little bit too slow and as such sometimes you can see shifts in gamma when we go from a very dark scene to a bright scene quickly. Maybe JVC is working on a DI version 2.0 for next year, or at least I hope so. After comparing it with Runco's DI implementation a lot more recently, I still think Runco's DI is the best I've ever seen. I have a Sony VPL-W30ES coming tomorrow because I want to take a harder look into what Sony does with it's DI. From what I've seen from the 1100ES and 600ES I'm not convinced their implemented as well as many have cited. They're not aggressive implementations which means they rarely clip whites and that is one of it's most provocative features.
DavidHir likes this.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For those following the repair of my 700, the unit needed the power assembly replaced. My reason for sharing that information is I know a number of ppl experienced intermittent issues of the projector not powering up right away. In some cases, it required us to unplug the projector and plug it in. If memory serves, it was perceived by JVC to be a firmware issue.

OR, could it be in my case a series of bad power assemblies? Currently, my projector powers up right away without any issues. My only issue now is the cracked, chipped case damaged at the lab or by UPS....but that's a different story.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Old 02-02-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
For those following the repair of my 700, the unit needed the power assembly replaced. My reason for sharing that information is I know a number of ppl experienced intermittent issues of the projector not powering up right away. In some cases, it required us to unplug the projector and plug it in. If memory serves, it was perceived by JVC to be a firmware issue.

OR, could it be in my case a series of bad power assemblies? Currently, my projector powers up right away without any issues. My only issue now is the cracked, chipped case damaged at the lab or by UPS....but that's a different story.
That's a shame. UPS cracked a case on a VW600 that was shipped to us January 2014.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi guys, is there anyone in the Portland, OR or Seattle, WA area who would be willing for me to stop by to critically view the image from your X500/700/900/RS4910/57/6710.

I'm having an issue with a subtle flicker in the image on my RS4910 that I believe is due to the polarity inversion on alternating LCoS panel refresh not being properly matched. I had sent the projector into Mendtronix where they were able to observe the flicker, but in the end JVC instructed them to send the projector back to me as if the flicker is acceptable. I'm waiting for an escalation at JVC, but I thought it would be prudent to see if I could go see another unit (or 2) to determine if the flicker is present on other units. If you don't mind, I'll also bring my home-brew high-speed light meter along to collect hard data. I'll be heading up from Portland to the Kingston, WA area this weekend to visit family and so anyone in the Seattle-area who volunteers I'd need to stop by this weekend on Saturday or Sunday.

You can find more info on this saga at the following post: Mendtronix Repair/Parts/Lamps Center-Reviews and Feedback

Thanks.
Kris Deering likes this.

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens
WTB near Portland OR: PSA XS15/XS15se or XS30/XS30se

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Lumagen XS-3D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
Old 02-02-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Hi guys, is there anyone in the Portland, OR or Seattle, WA area who would be willing for me to stop by to critically view the image from your X500/700/900/RS4910/57/6710.

I'm having an issue with a subtle flicker in the image on my RS4910 that I believe is due to the polarity inversion on alternating LCoS panel refresh not being properly matched. I had sent the projector into Mendtronix where they were able to observe the flicker, but in the end JVC instructed them to send the projector back to me as if the flicker is acceptable. I'm waiting for an escalation at JVC, but I thought it would be prudent to see if I could go see another unit (or 2) to determine if the flicker is present on other units. If you don't mind, I'll also bring my home-brew high-speed light meter along to collect hard data. I'll be heading up from Portland to the Kingston, WA area this weekend to visit family and so anyone in the Seattle-area who volunteers I'd need to stop by this weekend on Saturday or Sunday.

You can find more info on this saga at the following post: Mendtronix Repair/Parts/Lamps Center-Reviews and Feedback

Thanks.
Check your PM's. You'll be going right by my house on the way to Kingston. Be happy to let you look at my X700.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks.
I am not sure how bad is your flicker but i assume its 'subtle'? I believe auto iris is turned off? Mine does it but only occasionally and seems to go away on its own. Try not to look out for it and see whether it still bothers you. If you dont see it everytime and occasionally, i believe it will go away on its own once the lamp settles.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post
I am not sure how bad is your flicker but i assume its 'subtle'? I believe auto iris is turned off? Mine does it but only occasionally and seems to go away on its own. Try not to look out for it and see whether it still bothers you. If you dont see it everytime and occasionally, i believe it will go away on its own once the lamp settles.
Thanks for your input.

The flicker is consistent, low lamp and high, on start up and after 2 hours of warm up. It is more evident with a 24p signal (since the panel is refreshing at 96Hz instead of 120Hz for 60p inputs). In video images the flicker is moderately subtle as brighter portions of the image pulsate, put up something like a webpage with a lot of white background and it induces discomfort.

Yes auto iris is off, all enhancements off.

I should probably start a dedicate thread for this so as to not clog the main thread, but at this point its been well diagnosed as not a settings issue. Whether the flicker is acceptable or not is currently a difference of opinion between me and JVC.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Lumagen XS-3D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

The flicker is consistent, low lamp and high, on start up and after 2 hours of warm up. It is more evident with a 24p signal (since the panel is refreshing at 96Hz instead of 120Hz for 60p inputs). In video images the flicker is moderately subtle as brighter portions of the image pulsate, put up something like a webpage with a lot of white background and it induces discomfort.

Yes auto iris is off, all enhancements off.

I should probably start a dedicate thread for this so as to not clog the main thread, but at this point its been well diagnosed as not a settings issue. Whether the flicker is acceptable or not is currently a difference of opinion between me and JVC.
Can you do a video of it? Set it up so that it shows it the best that you can. Send me the video and I will see what I can do from my end.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Can you do a video of it? Set it up so that it shows it the best that you can. Send me the video and I will see what I can do from my end.
The videos do not show the issue in so far as artificial interference patterns, etc., are created since the panel refresh cycle is not synchronized in time nor rate with my camera; and since I'm only able to capture the video with my iPhone 6 I cannot get raw video that hasn't been processed by the SoC video image processing chain during capture.

Note from my measurements with a more sensitive instrument (see the document I attached to my original email) the flicker is induced by a difference in brightness between the (conceptually) even and odd refresh periods of the LCoS panel, which mathematically would induce a signal (flicker) at half the refresh rate. When I display 24p content, the panel runs at 96Hz and thus the flicker is a 48Hz signal.

All that said, I will send you a link to 60fps and 240fps recordings from my iPhone 6 camera, the 60fps naturally cannot faithfully capture a 48Hz flicker, and 240fps will have many artifacts from the poor cell camera that obscure the underlying flicker.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does the 57U not pass a BtB signal when in THX mode? I have it set up in THX mode (which defaults to Super White) to an Oppo BDP 103 and cannot get a BtB signal with any HDMI output setting on the Oppo (standard, limited, etc.) Is this expected?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post
Does the 57U not pass a BtB signal when in THX mode? I have it set up in THX mode (which defaults to Super White) to an Oppo BDP 103 and cannot get a BtB signal with any HDMI output setting on the Oppo (standard, limited, etc.) Is this expected?
Yes, THX forces Superwhite mode which is 16-255 so no BtB.

Geof
Old Today, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anybody that has considered this projector, should ask about RS6710 B-stock.

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r