post #181 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Newcomb View Post

I know it's an RS57 thread, but I thought I'd chime in and report that my RS6710 is doing the same thing. It appears to only like a 1080p signal. About a second after I eject a disc, my BPD-93 switches to 1080i and my RS6710 goes blank. While it's in this blank mode, input changes (from HDMI1 to HDMI 2) seem to work, the hide function works (the green light flashes), and the standby function still works (so the CPU hasn't crashed).

I tried plugging my Macbook into HDMI 2 and all I got was a blank screen. However, when I unplugged it (from HDMI 2), the projector displayed a still of that mac screen (compressed into the top half, the bottom half was solid green). Plug the Macbook back in and the 'still' is replaced by a blank screen; unplug it and you get another still image of it. I could do this with my Oppo as well (when it was displaying a menu). Not sure if if I can plug it in and out at 24 times a second, though. smile.gif

Can't see how this escaped their QC (good thing I'd paid extra). smile.gif Someone needs to explain the value of 'regression testing' to them.

Last ramble: I don't know this for sure, but I suspect the firmware can only be updated via RS-232 (which only some of us end-users can handle).

--Larry

Thanks for chiming in Larry and good to know it's not exclusive to our 57's. This is the same thing for me when unplugging the HDMI blank screen (last frame pops up frozen including any OSG's from your receiver etc…).

For any of you that have a Lumagen or a receiver like the higher-end Denon's/Onkyo's if you force a 1080p output it should provide a workaround until corrected.

As I remember on the RS55 I was able to use an RS232 to USB cable to do a firmware update just fine.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I think everyone here know this, but there is simply no better way to evaluate 2 projectors other than a direct A/B stack with a split source and a very good calibration on both copies.

I don't think a minute could pass by without my memory interfering with what is actually on the screen. This is a painstaking process I have done way too many times vs. enjoying my HT for movies.

This is why I have a difficult time with some pro reviews. days / weeks / months pass by between the evaluations so how can we actually say 1 vs. the other is better without a direct comparison? There is more to observe than just the cal sheets and the A/B helps enormously to find these specific details.

I know this is the best method so I have to follow my own rules... biggrin.gifcool.gif

keep-calm1.PNG

2014-shootout-1.jpg
krichter1, Toe, BeBop and 1 others like this.
post #183 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk576c View Post

And i thought it was only us aircraft industry engineers who were bums and took the end of December through the new year off :-D.

I really do hope they address it by early January as opposed to late January or beyond. As it is now I'm only able to do one thing at a time per hard reboot of the machine. Ie I tried to switch from playing Battlefield 4 on my ps4 (worked fine) to watching a blu ray on my xbox 1 (Jvc dropped signal and would sync).

Do you have a way to force 1080p output at all times?

Anyone else hearing that little "motory" sound when the resolution change is attempted? Just would like confirmation it's not something else on mine.

Kevin

post #184 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

For any of you that have a Lumagen or a receiver like the higher-end Denon's/Onkyo's if you force a 1080p output it should provide a workaround until corrected.

Since I have a Lumagen and my X700R hasn't arrived yet does it need to be 1080p24 or just any 1080p?

And from past experiences with HDMI lockup issues with devices why does it automatically trigger your mouth to cuss the manufacturer of whatever product this happens to explicitly. biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #185 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I think everyone here know this, but there is simply no better way to evaluate 2 projectors other than a direct A/B stack with a split source and a very good calibration on both copies.

I don't think a minute could pass by without my memory interfering with what is actually on the screen. This is a painstaking process I have done way too many times vs. enjoying my HT for movies.

This is why I have a difficult time with some pro reviews. days / weeks / months pass by between the evaluations so how can we actually say 1 vs. the other is better without a direct comparison? There is more to observe than just the cal sheets and the A/B helps enormously to find these specific details.

I know this is the best method so I have to follow my own rules... biggrin.gifcool.gif

Exactly. Audio and visual memory is VERY unreliable when trying to compare two products and the only way to really separate the fluff from fact and in turn getting down to what real improvements (if any) that there are is by doing what you are doing. Thanks once again and look forward to your findings!
krichter1 likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #186 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are no other issues that I can see. The only real complaint is that I would like them to turn off the e-shift during focus and convergence tests since it makes it very difficult to focus or tune the convergence. If you turn off the e-shift in the menu and then hit focus or convergence, it immediately activates the e-shift. There has to be a way to turn this off, I'll have to look in the SM.

This is the first JVC i've had here in a while that has a well behaved OOTB color gamut w/ good sat tracking so I'm happy to see that. Same thing with the gamma vs. the RS55 which guarantees the need for a full gamma cal.

I'll post some calibration results soon.

You sure about that Jason? Are you saying (I'd like to check it later today), when you turn it off, then go in and refocus e-shift is back on?

Also when you get a chance can you comment on how you think "Auto" is resolving white levels? I just can't get my head around what it could be doing?

Also please comment on for thoughts/results of using the new Clear Black feature?

Thx

Kevin

post #187 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Zombie, one other small request, but could you do an A/B between CMD setting 3 on your 55 vs the new CMD on the 57 in low mode? Curious what improvements have been made here exactly. Thanks!

post #188 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

2014-shootout-1.jpg

Time to get better shelving I think... Lol

If you have a Menards around you they sell an all black metal one that hold like 800 lbs a self.

Pic:
post #189 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Kevin, I'm sure about the e-shift / focus / convergence, I believe a few others have mentioned the same thing. I have to see if there is some way to adjust this in SM.

what problem are you seeing with white levels?

btw, I hear a quiet 'hum' when e-shift is engaged. you have to put your ear near the projector, but it's steady when it's on. I wonder what this is?

toe - any specific content you want me to check when looking at the CMD?
post #190 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Time to get better shelving I think... Lol

hehe, you think? this was supposed to be a temp setup a year ago. it's flexed a little but I still trust it, just not with the 1000.... biggrin.gif

edit: that looks great, how tall is it? I need it to be deep enough to hold the 1000.
post #191 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I am pretty sure that this will be fixed by a software update.

Hopefully soon, I am glad I waited that would really be a bummer I feel for the new owners plugging down that kind of $ and having problems like this what were they thinking!

Also what is pathetic is that they are now made in China rather than Japan! May be that is the major issue, QA QC is not the same.

Epsilon has a great replacement program JVC should have the same
post #192 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hehe, you think? this was supposed to be a temp setup a year ago. it's flexed a little but I still trust it, just not with the 1000.... biggrin.gif

edit: that looks great, how tall is it? I need it to be deep enough to hold the 1000.
2ft x 4ft x 6ft tall

I had to cut about 1.5' off the top as my ceiling height was low there, as you can see. smile.gif

You can turn the long way into the room, but that's 4 feet needed behind the chairs then.

Cheap too... Under $100
post #193 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anything with a medium to fast pan will work. CMD mode 3 on the 45/55 will break up a bit during these type of pans and I am curious if the improved CMD this year is any more controlled during these moments. I only use my CMD for animation, so maybe try something animated with some pans if you don't mind. smile.gif

post #194 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2ft x 4ft x 6ft tall

I had to cut about 1.5' off the top as my ceiling height was low there, as you can see. smile.gif

You can turn the long way into the room, but that's 4 feet needed behind the chairs then.

Cheap too... Under $100

thanks, we only have lowes and home depot around here. I think I see something similar that will work:

72-in H x 48-in W x 24-in D 5-Tier Steel Freestanding Shelving Unit

I can always paint it black if needed.
post #195 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks, we only have lowes and home depot around here. I think I see something similar that will work:

72-in H x 48-in W x 24-in D 5-Tier Steel Freestanding Shelving Unit

I can always paint it black if needed.
looks very similar, I think it is black. At least it shows black on mine when I click your link.

That will work much better, and for you Sony 1000 too! wink.gif

Sounds like it can hold 1000lbs a shelf! Got any projectors that large zombie? Hehe.
post #196 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Since I have a Lumagen and my X700R hasn't arrived yet does it need to be 1080p24 or just any 1080p?

And from past experiences with HDMI lockup issues with devices why does it automatically trigger your mouth to cuss the manufacturer of whatever product this happens to explicitly. biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Mike

You know Mike I'm not 100% sure as once I got it working I stopped at 1080p24 however I'll play around some more later (my Fighting Irish are playing at Yankee Stadium today… Yes I'm a Notre Dane fan biggrin.gif ).

My worry is to keep turning on & off this projector as a workaround until JVC can correct this issue; thus shortening the lamps life prematurely). One school of thought to minimize the lamp strikes is to choose what your going to watch first and then turn on the projector (I believe from what I've seen it accepts the first rez stream but then can't/won't change to another).

Kevin

post #197 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View PostMy worry is to keep turning on & off this projector as a workaround until JVC can correct this issue; thus shortening the lamps life prematurely). One school of thought to minimize the lamp strikes is to choose what your going to watch first and then turn on the projector (I believe from what I've seen it accepts the first rez stream but then can't/won't change to another).

Not just he lamp the projector too

krichter1 likes this.
post #198 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kevin, I'm sure about the e-shift / focus / convergence, I believe a few others have mentioned the same thing. I have to see if there is some way to adjust this in SM.

what problem are you seeing with white levels?

btw, I hear a quiet 'hum' when e-shift is engaged. you have to put your ear near the projector, but it's steady when it's on. I wonder what this is?

I couldn't get a good result up to 17/234 when using STD (it faded at about 19-20), so I switched to Enhanced and got it dialed in nicely. Were you able to get STD level working? What are your thoughts for "Auto"… how would that work I wonder??

Kevin

post #199 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know Mike I'm not 100% sure as once I got it working I stopped at 1080p24 however I'll play around some more later (my Fighting Irish are playing at Yankee Stadium today… Yes I'm a Notre Dane fan biggrin.gif ).

My worry is to keep turning on & off this projector as a workaround until JVC can correct this issue; thus shortening the lamps life prematurely). One school of thought to minimize the lamp strikes is to choose what your going to watch first and then turn on the projector (I believe from what I've seen it accepts the first rez stream but then can't/won't change to another).

Thanks Kevin,

I will probably just set my Lumagen to convert 1080p60 to 1080p24 from my Oppo so that way it will stay at 1080p24 until there is a firmware fix. I'm like you in that every strike of the lamp takes away some life from it and the less the better.

Thanks again,
Mike
krichter1 likes this.

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #200 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

looks very similar, I think it is black. At least it shows black on mine when I click your link.

That will work much better, and for you Sony 1000 too! wink.gif

Sounds like it can hold 1000lbs a shelf! Got any projectors that large zombie? Hehe.

Dude he'll need like 3 of those to house as many projectors as he has (or Mike lends him)! tongue.gif

Kevin

post #201 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I too came to the confusion that IF I wanted to watch a blu ray movie I'd go straight from the projector being off to the projector playing the blu ray. But the simple fact that we have to do such is such a shame.

As for feeding the projector only 1080p I assume I can do so with my denon processor, but havn't tried yet.

As for DI pumping, I can't see much if any. I have the aperture closed down to -10 and the DI set to auto 2. I've never owned a projector with a great DI as before my rs57 and rs46 and rs45 I had Epson projectors. But I don't see the iris pumping noticably. Usually wondering if it's even on.

And I do most certainly hear the projector making a noise when eshift is engaged, as well as when the projector switches resolutions.
post #202 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 10
Zombi can you also test the Adobe-rgb gamut please ? As led dlp owner I'm used to extended gamut and i wonder if the Adobe-rgb mode can generate the same colors.
Thankyou smile.gif
post #203 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

What, was everyone expecting it to SMOKE the rs55? Hehe, inside joke... Or not if you know where this came from.

Overall It's a slight Improvement with better REC 709 color specifications.

I don't know why everyone feels the next years models will smoke the year or 2 years before. THEY DONT. If you change your setup, say sit from 1.6 screen width away to 1.0 screen width, then yes something like no eshift to eshift makes a huge difference. But to say because of that it smokes the previous year is bs, because if you would have kept your seating distance at 1.6, you wouldn't be saying that at all.

This site needs to have people like Zombie / Seegs / and Me to keep the hype machine in check. smile.gif

Yeah…. HELLO. Let's at least get the story straight if going to continue with the mocking over a SEMANTICS issue.

mntwister had an RS50. He is buying an RS4910 and asked if there would be much difference:

"I waited three years to update my RS-50 and can afford it this year. I could not, however, replace it with the RS-57 so I ordered an RS-4910. My question is, from what we know so far, being that my model is 3 generations old now and with yearly improvements, do you think my RS-4910 will look better than my RS-50? The RS-50 of course had a contrast ratio of 70,000:1 and the 4910 has 60,000:1, but how noticeable will that be? What about other features? So my main question if anyone cares to give it a shot, is am I downgrading my picture (except for E-shift) or are the new improvements over the last 3 years going to better my RS-50? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your time."

When I like a piece of equipment or anything in general a whole lot more than something else it was compared to, I am fond of the word "smokes" to emphasize the point. Didn't realize a couple members were going to so get their panties in a bunch over that rolleyes.gif and with regard to ALL the attributes that I love about my 4810 over my RS50, I said this:

"Your 4910 is going to so SMOKE your RS50, not that the RS50 was a bad projector. Dialed in with a good calibration as I had mine, it produced an excellent picture. But those were the least bright JVCs since the RS2 and had all the problems with early failures on the lamps. I went next to my current 4810. Exact opposite with brightness and the lamps are on steroids now eek.gif. Not to mention how cool eShift is. Plus your 4910 is going to be better than the 4810 with the new wire grids and accepting a 4K signal and other reported improvements. My advertised contrast is 50,000 to 1 and being able to close down the iris and leave on Low Lamp for the first time (per my liking high FL with sports especially) …. I feel my contrast is as good as what I had with the RS50. You will be doing a lot of tongue.gifeek.giftongue.gif " Oh the horror for giving my honest opinion to the guy who asked the question and is understandably nervous with a new projector in transit.

To which the conversation immediately went to I should have equalized the 4810 in brightness to the (dim ass picture on high lamp with the crap 1st round of lamps they had, after only 400 hours ) on the RS50 and not sat any closer to my screen which I can now do happily, and A/B'd the two projectors on PQ ONLY. I guess I should have paid for another calibration too (?) for the 50 to make sure it was up to the comparison with the newly calibrated 4810???

Like sports and rosters and expectations for teams' performance, always the caveat "barring major injuries to key players" of course my expectations were "barring significant bugs" with the 4910 that weren't there with the 4810.

I stand by what I said, regarding the SUM OF ALL THE IMPROVEMENTS with the 4910 over his RS50. He should like it a whole lot better. And I'm sure he will let us know.

But yes, thanks to Zombie and you for all the great information added. Well actually Zombie is the guy doing all the work. You're just "keeping the hype machine in check".
krichter1 likes this.
post #204 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I was trying to get the 2041 work in UHD mode but don't want to reboot the projector so I decided to try a 3840x2160 source from my 4K HTPC.

2014-shootout-2.jpg

This obviously forces 4K eshift and we can select from a few options of original input (4K, auto, 1080P, etc) This doesn't really make any obvious changes on small PC fonts.

ok so this one specific area where the 600/1000 will put a whoopin' on the 57, the fonts on the 600/1000 are crystal clear at their native res. they are legible on the 57 + 4K e-shift, but you would see a very obvious difference here in person. I don't think this should surprise anyone, we are dealing with 1080P vs. 4K panels, there is only so much the e-shift can do here.

Ideally, I want to watch 1080P content on HDMI 1 + e-shift vs. HDMI 2 fed scaled UHD content from Jriver / MadVR but I am not sure if the HDMI issue will allow this. I'll give it a shot and see.
post #205 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

keep-calm1.PNG

2014-shootout-1.jpg

This is what Darin and I do whenever possible. It works VERY well for comparisons and levels the playing field. I will be doing this with the X700 vs my X75 and also hopefully with a Sony 600.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #206 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Very nice thank you, do you also have these HDMi problems! It doesn't sound good at all frown.gif

I may have been the unlucky one to have first experienced this problem (see post #27 on page 1). As an update, I am feeding the RS57 through my Lumagen 2021. Two inputs are being used, an OPPO 93 and a DirecTV DVR. I have turned on and off my PJ 4 or 5 times (using both inputs) since I unplugged and re-plugged it in during install. I have had no recurrences of this problem. I'm not sure trying to re-create this problem would serve any purpose at this point. I have a Denon 4810ci to which I am feeding the audio from the Lumagen, so it's not in the video path, which is what the Lumagen manual recommends.

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardiner in Being There
post #207 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:

keep-calm1.PNG

2014-shootout-1.jpg

Nice one.

cardoski likes this.
post #208 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:

Not too shabby for your first attempt Dennis… Nice job!

I would at this point, assuming you like what you see, play with the Light/Dark settings to bring up your gamma at the higher end.

Keep in mind do things will change quite a bit the first 100 hours or so and you need to do another cal after that point (which is why most of us wait).

could you please explain what settings (Light/Dark) to which you are referring, so I don't miss something.

I'm pleased that my first chromapure auto-cal was completed (3 failed efforts due to too short a standby setting on my notebook) though I am not satisfied with the result. I manually calibrated my RS40 with a VideoEQ and ended up with some excellent results. With the RS57 and my new Lumagen, I won't be satisfied until I get results which are at least equal to those I got with the RS40.

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardiner in Being There
post #209 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone called JVC about the HDMI issues?

If so what was their response? Are they working on a firmware?
post #210 of 1908 Old 12-28-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

Has anyone called JVC about the HDMI issues?

If so what was their response? Are they working on a firmware?
Mike at AVS spoke to his contact at JVC, but based on his post, I don't think the JVC engineering folks know about the issue yet -- he implied they're probably out of the office until after the holidays.

UPDATE - Here ya go.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page