Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2101 of 2114 Old 07-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Newbie
 
ravicchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie

I am going to replace my old Panasonic PT 2000 and I am looking at both the JVC DLA-X700R and the JVC DLA-RS57U. I cannot tell if these are the same units, and if not, what the differences are. I am also looking at the Sony VPL-HW40ES for less $$ as it has received such great reviews. I'm sure this may have been covered in this thread already but I would appreciate any input. Are the 2 JVC models the same? I have a dedicated theater room in my garage.
4K not an issue.

Thanks
ravicchio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2102 of 2114 Old 07-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravicchio View Post
I am going to replace my old Panasonic PT 2000 and I am looking at both the JVC DLA-X700R and the JVC DLA-RS57U. I cannot tell if these are the same units, and if not, what the differences are. I am also looking at the Sony VPL-HW40ES for less $$ as it has received such great reviews. I'm sure this may have been covered in this thread already but I would appreciate any input. Are the 2 JVC models the same? I have a dedicated theater room in my garage.
4K not an issue.

Thanks
Yes they are basically identical except the Pro model aka 57U offers an additional year of warranty and has a gold bezel. Ask AVS about the reconditioned units for a great deal. I have one of them and can't be more happier!
Dr. Jekyll is offline  
post #2103 of 2114 Old 07-17-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 6,237
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 605
The X700 is head over heels better than the HW40ES. Honestly don't even bother with it. Your PT-AE2000 is better in my opinion than the HW40ES.

In the sub $2000 price range it has a pretty decent image but doesn't hold a candle to most of the models talked about in this subforum. If you want to go with something cheaper I'd look into a used HW30ES. Better overall than the HW40ES as it has much better contrast performance.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-17-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #2104 of 2114 Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Newbie
 
ravicchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The X700 is head over heels better than the HW40ES. Honestly don't even bother with it. Your PT-AE2000 is better in my opinion than the HW40ES.
Thanks for the advice
ravicchio is offline  
post #2105 of 2114 Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Newbie
 
ravicchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
Yes they are basically identical except the Pro model aka 57U offers an additional year of warranty and has a gold bezel. Ask AVS about the reconditioned units for a great deal. I have one of them and can't be more happier!
Thanks
ravicchio is offline  
post #2106 of 2114 Old 07-17-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,803
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravicchio View Post
I am going to replace my old Panasonic PT 2000 and I am looking at both the JVC DLA-X700R and the JVC DLA-RS57U. I cannot tell if these are the same units, and if not, what the differences are. I am also looking at the Sony VPL-HW40ES for less $$ as it has received such great reviews. I'm sure this may have been covered in this thread already but I would appreciate any input. Are the 2 JVC models the same? I have a dedicated theater room in my garage.
4K not an issue.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
Yes they are basically identical except the Pro model aka 57U offers an additional year of warranty and has a gold bezel. Ask AVS about the reconditioned units for a great deal. I have one of them and can't be more happier!
The 57 and the 700 are the same projector. The 57 is sold from the pro side and has a gold trim ring around the lens and the 700 has a silver trim ring around the lens. Both have the same 2 year warranty. Only pro models ending in 10 have extended warranties.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #2107 of 2114 Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,803
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravicchio View Post
I am going to replace my old Panasonic PT 2000 and I am looking at both the JVC DLA-X700R and the JVC DLA-RS57U. I cannot tell if these are the same units, and if not, what the differences are. I am also looking at the Sony VPL-HW40ES for less $$ as it has received such great reviews. I'm sure this may have been covered in this thread already but I would appreciate any input. Are the 2 JVC models the same? I have a dedicated theater room in my garage.
4K not an issue.

Thanks
Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #2108 of 2114 Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Carbon Ft Print's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi Guys:

Just got bStock 6710 from Mike @ av science. I'm having problems getting saturation levels looking right for cin2 (the color space closest to DCI). I have the unit a default conditions with all the options off and iris set to manual. The 20th Century Fox 3D image for FOX movies looks desat yellow, like THX. Infact, there is no difference among THX, Cinema and Film. My Epson 6020 projector's cinema mode has the 20th Century Fox Image looking like gold or a deep sat yellow. My friends JVC 75 also looks similar ... deep gold FOX image. I can't get film and cinema to display deeply saturated colors.

I did factory reset, reset all the device color spaces. What works is setting tint -50 and color +50, which is absurd.

Kind Regards,

JJ
Carbon Ft Print is offline  
post #2109 of 2114 Old 07-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post
Hi Guys:

Just got bStock 6710 from Mike @ av science. I'm having problems getting saturation levels looking right for cin2 (the color space closest to DCI). I have the unit a default conditions with all the options off and iris set to manual. The 20th Century Fox 3D image for FOX movies looks desat yellow, like THX. Infact, there is no difference among THX, Cinema and Film. My Epson 6020 projector's cinema mode has the 20th Century Fox Image looking like gold or a deep sat yellow. My friends JVC 75 also looks similar ... deep gold FOX image. I can't get film and cinema to display deeply saturated colors.

I did factory reset, reset all the device color spaces. What works is setting tint -50 and color +50, which is absurd.

Kind Regards,

JJ
I used the settings that Mike emailed me on my 57U and I don't have any issues. I will say that on start up the Netflix red welcome screen is washed out but after if warms up the red is pure and rich on my 110" CenterStage screen.
Dr. Jekyll is offline  
post #2110 of 2114 Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Carbon Ft Print's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Here is no color space issue with my JVC 6710. It turns out the Fox 20th Century logo does not have standards for its colors. Some blu ray movies are a light yellow, some are deep saturated yellow/gold. I checked the color ramps for various device color spaces (Film, Cinema, Photo, THX, ect) and they look good!
Carbon Ft Print is offline  
post #2111 of 2114 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Is it normal for the bulbs in these projectors to flicker/pulse slightly when displaying large areas of a bright color? I was evaluating the X700 recently and noticed it in several scenes. Iris was set to manual (-15), E-shift off, all other enhancements I could find also disabled. Switching to high bulb mode made it slightly less visible but still there.

An example scene from Oblivion (around 28-29 minutes in) where I first saw it is attached below. Can someone else confirm whether this is normal? If you don't own the movie, you can just display the attached picture because the issue was visible even when paused. Give you eyes a minute to adjust to the brightness and you may see this odd irregular-interval pulsing in the white wall behind the character. Thanks.

Sample
Wizziwig is online now  
post #2112 of 2114 Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Is it normal for the bulbs in these projectors to flicker/pulse slightly when displaying large areas of a bright color? I was evaluating the X700 recently and noticed it in several scenes. Iris was set to manual (-15), E-shift off, all other enhancements I could find also disabled. Switching to high bulb mode made it slightly less visible but still there.

An example scene from Oblivion (around 28-29 minutes in) where I first saw it is attached below. Can someone else confirm whether this is normal? If you don't own the movie, you can just display the attached picture because the issue was visible even when paused. Give you eyes a minute to adjust to the brightness and you may see this odd irregular-interval pulsing in the white wall behind the character. Thanks.

Sample
Yes the slight flicker is normal even on high lamp. When displaying 24p content the JVC LCoS panel refreshes at 96Hz. To mitigate degradation of the panel the voltage applied to the panel is inverted every refresh (positive on one refresh then negative the next refresh). If the positive and negative voltages are not exactly balanced, the brightness of the positive and negative refreshes will be slightly different, inducing a slight flicker at half the refresh rate 96/2 = 48Hz which is low enough frequency to be visible.

Depending on the unit this imbalance may be better or worse than others, but the few units I've seen all exhibit this issue.

I haven't seen any of the Sony LCoS units but as they use a higher panel refresh rate you are less likely to see this effect.

Small 12' wide x 10' deep HT v0.6: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW DLP, Falcon AT Vision HD 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad In-wall Gold Omni SE (LCR & soon FH or LW/RW), In-wall Silver Surrounds (LS/RS, soon to be bipolar), In-ceiling Silver Minimonitors (soon for TM), PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008 (soon SR7010), Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
jjcook is online now  
post #2113 of 2114 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'll add that although the panel refresh flicker is a regular (not irregular) flicker, I've found that observation makes it look irregular as at one moment you may notice the flicker and then another you may not. Earlier this year I built a flicker measurement device to diagnose this issue and found that when I observed the irregular flicker the measurement showed a regular flicker.

Also, I had sent my unit in for service and was told this flicker is normal.

Small 12' wide x 10' deep HT v0.6: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW DLP, Falcon AT Vision HD 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad In-wall Gold Omni SE (LCR & soon FH or LW/RW), In-wall Silver Surrounds (LS/RS, soon to be bipolar), In-ceiling Silver Minimonitors (soon for TM), PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008 (soon SR7010), Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
jjcook is online now  
post #2114 of 2114 Old Today, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
I'll add that although the panel refresh flicker is a regular (not irregular) flicker, I've found that observation makes it look irregular as at one moment you may notice the flicker and then another you may not. Earlier this year I built a flicker measurement device to diagnose this issue and found that when I observed the irregular flicker the measurement showed a regular flicker.

Also, I had sent my unit in for service and was told this flicker is normal.
Thanks for confirming. It's not a huge issue and was rarely visible during normal moving content. Only when showing an extended white screen like from calibration patterns, commercials, or that Oblivion scene.

I think it stood out to me because I just came from demoing a LED/DLP unit that had a very stable image due to no lamp.

It's strange that I don't see this flicker at all on my old JVC RS40. Granted its early bulbs had a lot of failure issues.

But you might be right and it's not the lamps at all. The LCOS panels were driven differently on those older units. Close up to the screen, the RS40 shows a lot of temporal dithering noise similar to a plasma. None on the X700. I actually took some high speed video of both units at one point and saw that the RS40 refresh would blank the image about every 5ms. The X700 would do it every ~10ms. Makes sense for a 96hz refresh. Maybe the "double flash" of the RS40 somehow masks the flicker.

I saw from one of your earlier posts in this thread that you were planning to visit another owner's home to see their projector. How did that turn out? Were you able to see flicker on his? And was he able to see it too?

Thanks
Wizziwig is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X700r by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off