Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2131 of 2142 Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR44 View Post
I bought a 57U 2 years ago and use it in a dedicated theater room. I've tried to read as many posts as I could but I'm not sure what's going on.

About a month ago I noticed a destracting noticeable change in the picture when viewing two people talking inside a home with windows in the background. The brightness of the picture noticeably changes brighter and then when the camera angle changes away from the windows showing the daylight the picture dims enough to also notice. Once the picture returns back to the frame with the daylight windows in the background after a second or two it goes much brighter again? I noticed it again yesterday watching Insurgent (Divergent) in a few scenes. Can anyone send me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
Are you using the dynamic iris?

If so, disable it and see you you are still noticing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2142 Old 08-18-2015, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unless the dynamic iris came factory in the off position I'm sure it's on. I tried earlier to find the option in the menu but I ran out of time. I'll try and find it when I get back home tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2133 of 2142 Old 08-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
Are you using the dynamic iris?

If so, disable it and see you you are still noticing this.
So I did turn it off and it's still there?? We have only around 500 hours on it and only started to notice this a few movies back. I was thinking on doing a reset in the case someone messed with a setting I'm just not seeing.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
post #2134 of 2142 Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hmm.. Based on what you described it sounded like it might have been an issue with the the dynamic iris (and/or the dynamic gamma that is part of it) becoming more visible and causing flicker. But if you set the aperture to manual and are still seeing the problem then I'm not sure what it could be.

Hopefully someone else has some ideas for you.
post #2135 of 2142 Old 08-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
So I did turn it off and it's still there?? We have only around 500 hours on it and only started to notice this a few movies back. I was thinking on doing a reset in the case someone messed with a setting I'm just not seeing.

Have you tried different viewing modes (e.g., THX, Video 1, etc..)? Are any other components in your video chain applying any picture enhancements? If so, try disabling them and just let the projector handle those tasks.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #2136 of 2142 Old 08-21-2015, 07:43 AM

I have tried differs viewing modes. The thx setting seems to be more frequent or easier to duplicate.

There is nothing between the source and the projector. I'm going to try a reset and a different player this weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

post #2137 of 2142 Old 08-21-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I have tried differs viewing modes. The thx setting seems to be more frequent or easier to duplicate.

There is nothing between the source and the projector. I'm going to try a reset and a different player this weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

I have something to try but I'm not sure it'll fix what you're seeing.....Some lamps tend to flicker a bit at the low output setting. You might try high lamp mode for awhile (perhaps 30 minutes - assuming you were using low lamp mode) and see if that makes any difference. Good luck.....

Geof
post #2138 of 2142 Old 08-21-2015, 10:28 AM

I do use LOW so I'll give that a shot too before I start moving things around. Thanks for the help!

post #2139 of 2142 Old 08-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

THX mode keeps MPC (e-Shift3) enabled. I don't know if that's exacerbating the issue; it shouldn't. It has to be something that's affecting your gamma, imo. Just keep trying different settings or hardware configurations, one step at a time.

Try using the other HDMI input on the projector as well, if you haven't already.

Or try a new lamp...maybe your lamp is the issue...

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 08-21-2015 at 02:01 PM.
post #2140 of 2142 Old 08-22-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 626
A couple things to note. You say you're trying different image preset modes and that you've disabled the dynamic iris. But remember that each preset mode will re-enable or disable certain options within the menu as you switch through them. So even if you've disabled it under THX or Natural modes, the other modes will still have it enabled by default when you switch to them. You'll need to disable it in each mode, which will save it to memory, so the next time you use that mode it won't enable it. Though with THX mode, if I remember correctly, there are certain things you can't adjust and the dynamic iris might be one of them. So, are you disabling the dynamic iris (located under Picture Adjust --> Picture Mode --> Lens Aperture or the LENS AP. button on the remote control) in each mode?

The other thing I wanted to add is that broken dynamic irises are a real thing and what you could be seeing (and is something I've seen before) is the iris not moving but dynamic gamma, which is software controlled, still working and the large changes in image brightness are the visible side effect of this. Or it's very possible that the dynamic iris is working and still causing brightness fluctuations, albeit the visible brightness fluctuations not being quite as extreme.
post #2141 of 2142 Old Today, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

The other thing I wanted to add is that broken dynamic irises are a real thing and what you could be seeing (and is something I've seen before) is the iris not moving but dynamic gamma, which is software controlled, still working and the large changes in image brightness are the visible side effect of this. Or it's very possible that the dynamic iris is working and still causing brightness fluctuations, albeit the visible brightness fluctuations not being quite as extreme.

Thanks everyone for the help. I tried all the suggestions I could and also some suggestions from the JVC guys. The problem can be duplicated and there are some settings that make it more noticeable. Starting this week im projector-less as its on its way to a service center. There doesn't seem to be a setting that can be manipulated to make this happen or stop it so there is something internal going on. Even though I was hoping for an easier fix to the problem sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. Ill let you know what they find when I get it back. I really do appreciate the help. This is a great forum!!
post #2142 of 2142 Old Today, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help. I tried all the suggestions I could and also some suggestions from the JVC guys. The problem can be duplicated and there are some settings that make it more noticeable. Starting this week im projector-less as its on its way to a service center. There doesn't seem to be a setting that can be manipulated to make this happen or stop it so there is something internal going on. Even though I was hoping for an easier fix to the problem sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. Ill let you know what they find when I get it back. I really do appreciate the help. This is a great forum!!
No prob, and good luck with your repair. Interested in hearing the details when you get it back.

One other item I forgot to mention was setting the Input Level properly. Here's a good link detailing those settings. Auto or Standard is where it should be set for most content so you may want to verify this once you get it back.
http://usjvc.com/faq/index.php?actio...233&artlang=en

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X700r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page