Things for noobs to look for when testing a new Projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stone Harbor, NJ
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 510
I am a projector noob as I have my first PJ on order and I am waiting for delivery.
As we know there are hour limits on returns for projectors and I wanted to get some info for what to look for to see if my projector is doing what it is suppose do, in a relative timely matter.
I was hoping maybe some of the guys with some good knowledge can jump in and give a short list of what a projector should be doing correctly and what to look for problem wise.
As I said at the top I am new to the world of projectors and have not had time to really read up on how to even set a PJ up as well as getting it dialed in and running correctly.

So with that said if anyone would like to jump in and give some of the newer guys getting their feet wet in the Projector world some soundly advise, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Reef
Reefdvr27 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,653
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 114
So, you didn't read up on all the things involved in setting up a projector, or a screen or the room it goes in, but you bought a projector?
What did you buy?
How do you know it will be bright enough or won't be to bright for the screen size you purchased?
Did you buy a screen? If so what aspect ratio and how big?
Where will the projector be mounted and how far from the screen wall?
Can the projector you bought project the appropriate sized image from that distance?
What color are the walls and ceiling?
Do you plan on watching with any light on?
The list goes on and on, it is not like buying a TV.
Seems like you jumped the gun big time as there are many factors that go into making a projected image look good. You can have a $5000 projector and it will look like a million buck or it can look like crap depending on many factors in the rest of the setup.

Not really sure what you are looking for to actually answer your question.. What I look for in a projector : Uniform focus, uniform white image with a full field pattern displayed, sharpness of image, accuracy of color out of the box, black level, noise level and motion issues (depends on image technology).
A lot more info of what you bought, what you have and what you expect, would be needed for anyone to give you meaningful advice.
airscapes is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
stef2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Maybe the OP wants to know how to quickly evaluate if the projector he got is a lemon or not...dead pixels, color uniformity, panels algnment...?

Stef
stef2 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,653
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

Maybe the OP wants to know how to quickly evaluate if the projector he got is a lemon or not...dead pixels, color uniformity, panels algnment...?

Yep I get that, but if the basics were not taken into consideration, he may want to cancel the order before it is delivered.
airscapes is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stone Harbor, NJ
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

So, you didn't read up on all the things involved in setting up a projector, or a screen or the room it goes in, but you bought a projector?
What did you buy?
How do you know it will be bright enough or won't be to bright for the screen size you purchased?
Did you buy a screen? If so what aspect ratio and how big?
Where will the projector be mounted and how far from the screen wall?
Can the projector you bought project the appropriate sized image from that distance?
What color are the walls and ceiling?
Do you plan on watching with any light on?
The list goes on and on, it is not like buying a TV.
Seems like you jumped the gun big time as there are many factors that go into making a projected image look good. You can have a $5000 projector and it will look like a million buck or it can look like crap depending on many factors in the rest of the setup.

Not really sure what you are looking for to actually answer your question.. What I look for in a projector : Uniform focus, uniform white image with a full field pattern displayed, sharpness of image, accuracy of color out of the box, black level, noise level and motion issues (depends on image technology).
A lot more info of what you bought, what you have and what you expect, would be needed for anyone to give you meaningful advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

So, you didn't read up on all the things involved in setting up a projector, or a screen or the room it goes in, but you bought a projector?
What did you buy?
How do you know it will be bright enough or won't be to bright for the screen size you purchased?
Did you buy a screen? If so what aspect ratio and how big?
Where will the projector be mounted and how far from the screen wall?
Can the projector you bought project the appropriate sized image from that distance?
What color are the walls and ceiling?
Do you plan on watching with any light on?
The list goes on and on, it is not like buying a TV.
Seems like you jumped the gun big time as there are many factors that go into making a projected image look good. You can have a $5000 projector and it will look like a million buck or it can look like crap depending on many factors in the rest of the setup.

Not really sure what you are looking for to actually answer your question.. What I look for in a projector : Uniform focus, uniform white image with a full field pattern displayed, sharpness of image, accuracy of color out of the box, black level, noise level and motion issues (depends on image technology).
A lot more info of what you bought, what you have and what you expect, would be needed for anyone to give you meaningful advice.
I don't recall asking for any of the questions you asked me. What I am asking is what a projector should do out of the box to know that it is working properly so I or others can return it with out voiding any warranties. I am looking for quick and simple check list to know that the projector is working fine. My projector will also be sitting in the box for awhile till my theater is complete, so another reason I would like to it is firing on all cylinders. Unfortunately where I live there are no audio/video resources, NONE. So I kind of have to rely on AVS for all my help.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,296
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Basically, do what was previously mentioned. Check for really bad convergence, dead pixels, brightness uniformity, and anything obvious that sticks out. There isn't a whole lot that needs to be checked. Unfortunately you probably won't find out if it's truly a lemon until you get a few hundred hours on the projector as the things previously mentioned are typically checked at the factory before getting shipped out.
Reefdvr27 likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Seegs108 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,653
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post


I don't recall asking for any of the questions you asked me. What I am asking is what a projector should do out of the box to know that it is working properly so I or others can return it with out voiding any warranties. I am looking for quick and simple check list to know that the projector is working fine. My projector will also be sitting in the box for awhile till my theater is complete, so another reason I would like to it is firing on all cylinders. Unfortunately where I live there are no audio/video resources, NONE. So I kind of have to rely on AVS for all my help.

Sorry, you gave no info other than you were a noob and didn't do any research but bought a projector. All those questions and more should have been addressed before purchase. If you did all of that than forgive me for trying to help.


If you have not read the owners thread for this mystery projector projector you purchased, you should do that, known issues come up in those threads like bad convergence, bad optics, noisy fan etc.

Simple list.
Turns on, image focuses, focus uniformity, if it has lens shift make sure it works, image sharpness, color uniformity, brightness uniformity, all pixels working, if not a single chip DLP make sure convergence is good and uniform, all inputs work. Any other image evaluations would require the room be somewhat finished and a screen be in place with the projector and seating at or near the finished locations.

Image evaluations would be set user controls with a pattern disk including brightness, contrast and sharpness. If calibration gear is on hand choose closest color temp and gamma settings, calibrate gray scale and CMS if it has one. Then view known content to evaluate contrast image quality, color accuracy, image noise etc etc.

Good luck with your project.
Reefdvr27 likes this.
airscapes is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stone Harbor, NJ
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Sorry, you gave no info other than you were a noob and didn't do any research but bought a projector. All those questions and more should have been addressed before purchase. If you did all of that than forgive me for trying to help.


If you have not read the owners thread for this mystery projector projector you purchased, you should do that, known issues come up in those threads like bad convergence, bad optics, noisy fan etc.

Simple list.
Turns on, image focuses, focus uniformity, if it has lens shift make sure it works, image sharpness, color uniformity, brightness uniformity, all pixels working, if not a single chip DLP make sure convergence is good and uniform, all inputs work. Any other image evaluations would require the room be somewhat finished and a screen be in place with the projector and seating at or near the finished locations.

Image evaluations would be set user controls with a pattern disk including brightness, contrast and sharpness. If calibration gear is on hand choose closest color temp and gamma settings, calibrate gray scale and CMS if it has one. Then view known content to evaluate contrast image quality, color accuracy, image noise etc etc.

Good luck with your project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Basically, do what was previously mentioned. Check for really bad convergence, dead pixels, brightness uniformity, and anything obvious that sticks out. There isn't a whole lot that needs to be checked. Unfortunately you probably won't find out if it's truly a lemon until you get a few hundred hours on the projector as the things previously mentioned are typically checked at the factory before getting shipped out.
Thanks guys.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off