Ultimate Sony VPL-VW500ES/VW600ES - Information Thread! - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #391 of 405 Old 09-09-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 901
An incomplete question. What is the maximum bit depth it can accept at 3840 x 2160 at 4:2:0 60? is that your question?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 405 Old 03-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 132
600ES lamp

I'm now over the 500hr mark and I've said from the beginning that I would change it out at this point. Well, I'm there and I cannot tell whether or not there is any light loss, my eyes tell me no but I have not measured in the beginning or now with a light meter.

To those of you that have measured ( assuming someone has) what kind of lumen loss could I expect at this point, factoring 50% at high lamp ?
post #393 of 405 Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I'm now over the 500hr mark and I've said from the beginning that I would change it out at this point. Well, I'm there and I cannot tell whether or not there is any light loss, my eyes tell me no but I have not measured in the beginning or now with a light meter.

To those of you that have measured ( assuming someone has) what kind of lumen loss could I expect at this point, factoring 50% at high lamp ?

While I'll try and measure mine this weekend, be glad that you can't tell if there has been any light loss. That tells me that it's minimal.

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. Call me for advice or help anytime !
Theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #394 of 405 Old 03-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
While I'll try and measure mine this weekend, be glad that you can't tell if there has been any light loss. That tells me that it's minimal.
I think I'm ok too, loss is probably minimal, hardly perceptible , I think I would have noticed . My original S.I. Solar 4K 1.3 gain never seemed to be bright enough in
3D but somewhere along the journey I learned to appreciate a darker calibrated picture. I'm less likely to think a given picture is too dim now, instead I appreciate the blacks, shadow
detail, contrast and sharpness. I picked up a little light and sharpness with my Panamorph DC1 and a new 136" 2.35:1 @ 1.8 gain curved Draper TecVision . The original Solar was
125" 2.35:1 @ 1.3 gain and flat.

Well, guess I will continue to appreciate the quality until I start to perceive a problem. Unless others can confirm I have lost a substantial amount of lumens I will leave well enough
alone. 2D as always is perfect, 3D is on the edge of appearing to be a little dim , mostly when the movie itself has a dark setting.
post #395 of 405 Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Well, guess I will continue to appreciate the quality until I start to perceive a problem. Unless others can confirm I have lost a substantial amount of lumens I will leave well enough
alone. 2D as always is perfect, 3D is on the edge of appearing to be a little dim , mostly when the movie itself has a dark setting.
A VERY POSITIVE ATTITUDE - "I can't wait until I can REPORT a PROBLEM"
post #396 of 405 Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

To those of you that have measured ( assuming someone has) what kind of lumen loss could I expect at this point, factoring 50% at high lamp?
I haven't measured, so feel free to ignore this unscientific input.

My lamp has 940 hours on it and I see no perceptible difference from new. Over 90% of my viewing has been in low-lamp mode, with high-lamp only for the occasional 3D movie.

I do tend to tweak (slightly) brightness and color settings when a particular source looks wrong. So maybe I've been compensating all along. But I ran the 600's auto-self-calibrate function, and it left everything alone and didn't want to change anything. Also don't forget this PJ has an auto-reminder function which will prompt for bulb replacement.

That said, I did buy a new bulb to keep as a spare just in case they go out of production. (Stranger things have happened.) I installed the new bulb temporarily just to test and didn't watch any content. Lamp replacement is easy and straightforward, even with an inverted ceiling mount.
post #397 of 405 Old 03-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
That said, I did buy a new bulb to keep as a spare just in case they go out of production. (Stranger things have happened.) I installed the new bulb temporarily just to test and didn't watch any content. Lamp replacement is easy and straightforward, even with an inverted ceiling mount.
Would any of these steps reset the lamp timer?
post #398 of 405 Old 03-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
Would any of these steps reset the lamp timer?
No, you have to reset the lamp timer manually.
post #399 of 405 Old 03-07-2015, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,

is it a huge problem if I keep pj on the max zoom (it is 3,3m away from 110 inch screen)? Because it seems that I can not get full focus on some parts of the picture? Also, could this be a problem coming from the pj not being aligned with the screen?

I can focus properly either left or right bottom half of the screen, while the rest is fine (using green screen from pj directly).

Or there could be some other issues?

Thanks
post #400 of 405 Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 AM

Also, I already asked this but did not receive an answer. I have Oppo 93 and my question is what should I use, RGB video, Ycbcr 4:2:2 or Ycbcr 4:4:4? I know from previous talks about Oppo 93 that it was recommended to use Sharpness on it on the level of 3 (there is an explanation on Oppo thread). Now, since this is 4K machine, should the same apply? I have Darbee in the chain as well, but use this on 35% level, as recommended here, with RC on 20.
post #401 of 405 Old 03-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Also, I already asked this but did not receive an answer. I have Oppo 93 and my question is what should I use, RGB video, Ycbcr 4:2:2 or Ycbcr 4:4:4? I know from previous talks about Oppo 93 that it was recommended to use Sharpness on it on the level of 3 (there is an explanation on Oppo thread). Now, since this is 4K machine, should the same apply? I have Darbee in the chain as well, but use this on 35% level, as recommended here, with RC on 20.
Set the Oppo to 4:4:4. I don't have a reference handy, but I recall the projector fails the chroma burst test when sent 4:2:2.

Not sure about your focus problem. Have you performed a panel alignment?

Finally, I think you're over-processing the signal with sharpness, Darbee, and RC. Does it really look good that way and show no over-sharpening artifacts?
post #402 of 405 Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Well, from what I red in the other thread, people are using darbee and RC together, with the figures I provided. But, I am concerned about Oppo sharpening. In my opinion picture looks great, but I am no calibrator.
post #403 of 405 Old 03-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Well, from what I red in the other thread, people are using darbee and RC together, with the figures I provided. But, I am concerned about Oppo sharpening. In my opinion picture looks great, but I am no calibrator.

I only use Darbee for DVD even then only 35% or so . If I play a HD Blu-Ray I turn Darbee off all together, may run some RC if the picture requires it. Always leave upscale to 4K on though.
If I run Darbee and RC I find the picture overcooked, gets worst instead of sharper, hard to explain . Overcooked is as scientific as I can come up with right now. Maybe over processed would be
better .
post #404 of 405 Old Today, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all,

I have a vpl-vw500es in Australia and having some issues to get the Roomie Remote to power up after it turns off and the Roomie support says to update the firmware. The thing is the AU site does not include any new firmware update on their site, however the EU version has 2 firmware versions. Can I use any of those firmwares to update I wonder?

Any ideas?

Thanks
post #405 of 405 Unread Today, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
I only use Darbee for DVD even then only 35% or so . If I play a HD Blu-Ray I turn Darbee off all together, may run some RC if the picture requires it. Always leave upscale to 4K on though.
If I run Darbee and RC I find the picture overcooked, gets worst instead of sharper, hard to explain . Overcooked is as scientific as I can come up with right now. Maybe over processed would be
better .
What do you have your RC settings at? And why do you use the 4K upscaling in your Oppo, when your projector does this better alone?

It should be no problem to use RC and Darbee together without getting a overprosessed picture if you leave both at low settings. Of corse this is very individual what you prefer, but with RC set to around 0 and Darbee at around 30% the picture should look nice and sharp without artifacts like edge enhancement. And I used it on almost all the time with my VW1100 with RC at around 0 (both resolution and noise reduction) and Darbee at 30%.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page