Wrinkles in firehawk screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-20-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone,
I recently moved to a new house, and brought my 133" firehawk screen (and kodak 333 projector) and set them up in my new basement. I tried to take care in transporting the screen, I rolled it around an approximately 6" diameter cardboard carpet roll, then protected that inside an even larger roll. Despite these precautions, there ended up being wrinkles (not folds) in the screen along the edges, which now show up along the bottom of the screen, as you can see in the photo, below the red area. The wrinkles are kind of peanut shaped. I was hoping that with time the wrinkles might fade, but they are still the same after about 10 days. Does anyone know if this can be fixed? I'd hate to have to buy a new screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 443
You need to talk with Stewart service but I am reasonably sure you can use a hair dryer on low heat from the fabric rear to warm up the fabric and use say a large spoon to push out the wrinkles from the rear using the round part of the spoon. I did this once to get rid of a dent on a customer's fabric. I think the process needed repeating a few times but it worked. As the temperature of the material cools off it tightens and the wrinkles should go away after getting rid of them with the heat and a cold spoon. Do not heat the spoon.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 11 Old 12-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I would just leave it for now. I had mine after it was rolled up for a few weeks. It took several weeks, but the wrinkles came out eventually. You could also try heating up the room.

I would wait before resorting to the hair dryer trick as that could easily end up damaging the screen.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #4 of 11 Old 12-24-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It was advice Stewart gave me when a customer's screen fabric came in with a small dent on it. That's why I suggested checking with Stewart but warming it a bit and using a spoon and then letting it cool won't hurt it.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 12-24-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Its annoying when a thread originator with a problem doesn't report back with an update in response to suggested solutions. But its Xmas so I will cut him a break and not be annoyed. smile.gif

Mark Haflich

post #6 of 11 Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

In addition to Xmas, I'm still dealing with moving issues, so I don't have a lot of time these days. The wrinkles are still about the same presently. I had the screen rolled up for 3 weeks before I set it up, so in retrospect I should have kept it rolled up for as little time as possible. I will give it another month to try to stretch it out on it's own, then will try the hairdryer if the wrinkles haven't improved. I will report back with the results about a month from now.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Mark's advice is good advice and it is the same advice you would get from many of the screen manufacturer's.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I recently had the same problem. A search here found a very old thread where Don Stewart suggested the hair dryer but he recommended going up to 12 inches out from the wrinkle . As yhecscreen cools it tightens. He did not limit it to the rear only. I had to do it about a dozen times to finally get the wrinkles out over a week or so. It was quite frustrating since I used the original packaging and a lot of care to roll the screen for transport. Good luck!
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Update:
It's been about 6 weeks since my last post, and I'm happy to say that the problem has almost completely resolved by itself, I didn't have to resort to the hairdryer trick. I have to look very closely to see the faded wrinkles at this point, and it's only because I know where to look that I can notice them. My advice to anyone in the future reading this would be to give the screen at least a month to stretch out on it's own before considering other options. Thanks to all who posted advice.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Mark's advice is good advice and it is the same advice you would get from many of the screen manufacturer's.

You left out the "as usual" when describing Mark's (Mr. Humble's) advice. smile.gif

Mark Haflich

post #11 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinee View Post

Update:
It's been about 6 weeks since my last post, and I'm happy to say that the problem has almost completely resolved by itself, I didn't have to resort to the hairdryer trick. I have to look very closely to see the faded wrinkles at this point, and it's only because I know where to look that I can notice them. My advice to anyone in the future reading this would be to give the screen at least a month to stretch out on it's own before considering other options. Thanks to all who posted advice.

Yup. This mirrors my experience too.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page