post #31 of 47 Old 01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post

My two cents... I'd still be watching our RS-20 if it hadn't developed the "pink line" issue (at around 2900 hours which represented around 4 years of use)... given that I couldn't live with the pink line (or zooming out to hide it) I went ahead and ordered an RS-56 from AVS... Had it for a year now and it has brighter picture and I lucked into a good one from the convergence, focus, etc. standpoint. I don't see myself replacing the lamp as often as I did with the 20... 600+ hours so far and it is still brighter than the RS-20 was with a new lamp. But even with all the goodness of the RS-56 I still would be using the RS-20 if it hadn't developed the issue (in other words the 56 wasn't a significant enough upgrade in picture quality to justify the money spent). Barring another failure I plan to keep the RS-56 quite a while until reasonably priced 4k projectors become the norm.

Interesting and good info.....I use a twin screen setup with smallish HP screens 92" & 106" (compared to what is generally used around here), use a Darbee at 30%, run a 'S' Gamma curve with the iris at -15, with good source material, I think how much better can this get!....the PQ is so source dependent, one scene is jaw dropping another could be so ordinary. The 'S' gamma curve made a heck of a difference. Use a Sharp 30000 for 3D.

But I look forward to laser/phosphor wheel light source to replace current lamps, true 4K/UHD panels and of course 4K/UHD BluRay....so I'll save a few more pennies towards the replacement as the months go by.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I'll bet you a beer that those price levels for true 4K projectors won't be seen for 2 - 4 years. And by then - guess what - there will be 8K projectors creeping into the top end ! HA! In fact, I've already heard rumors. wink.gif

And IMO 8k should be the next standard and it should have been called 4k. The jump to "4k" isn't that big of a jump. That's why the marketing folks chose to use the term 4k instead of 2k because it makes the average consumer believe there's a bigger jump than what there really is.
post #33 of 47 Old 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Well...I ended up jumping on the B stock Sony HW50ES. After talking with Mike Garrett at AVS, its seemed like a really good deal and value. Truthfully, my JVC RS20 was a B stock deal through AVS and I loved it. This will be my "stop gap" until 4K or 8K or whatever becomes more prevalent. Cheers!
post #34 of 47 Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBran24 View Post

Well...I ended up jumping on the B stock Sony HW50ES. After talking with Mike Garrett at AVS, its seemed like a really good deal and value. Truthfully, my JVC RS20 was a B stock deal through AVS and I loved it. This will be my "stop gap" until 4K or 8K or whatever becomes more prevalent. Cheers!

I'd love to hear your impressions of the upgrade when you settle into the new one. I've had my RS20 for years now and its the only projector I've kept for more than a year since owning a Panasonic AE100 smile.gif . My major complaints are the pixel visibility from my viewing distance and the motion handling.
post #35 of 47 Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I'd love to hear your impressions of the upgrade when you settle into the new one. I've had my RS20 for years now and its the only projector I've kept for more than a year since owning a Panasonic AE100 smile.gif . My major complaints are the pixel visibility from my viewing distance and the motion handling.

Motion will be better, especially if you are willing to use FI. However, you will lose a little bit of contrast. On my 2.4HP screen you can see the difference when comparing it to the RS45 I had. I love contrast, but I still prefer the HW50 over the RS45. It's FI created too many artifacts and it didn't smooth out motion remotely close to the Sony (if you like that sort of thing).
post #36 of 47 Old 02-06-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I sold my RS20 to my pal and I still love watching movies at his place. It's still the most film-like image I've seen on a projector. I never did notice any pixels with my RS20, even though I would sometimes watch it at about 124" wide from 10 feet.
What kind of viewing angle to you have in your set up - quite close?
post #37 of 47 Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I sold my RS20 to my pal and I still love watching movies at his place. It's still the most film-like image I've seen on a projector. I never did notice any pixels with my RS20, even though I would sometimes watch it at about 124" wide from 10 feet.
What kind of viewing angle to you have in your set up - quite close?

I'd have to agree with that. If anything the newer chassis JVCs look more like a DLP projector than they do compared to the older chassis design JVCs. My RS20 had an entirely organic analog quality to the image that isn't really there anymore with the new chassis design JVCs. That isn't an entirely bad thing but the image feels different.
post #38 of 47 Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Exactly. I can appreciate the new things the post RS20 projectors bring to the table. They are "different" and have their own strengths. But something was kind of lost as well. Overall, I'm ok with the balance of positives in the new designs.
post #39 of 47 Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Now that the JVC RS20 is so old, have the lamps become cheaper? Suggestions for a lower cost lamp for this?

Thanks
post #40 of 47 Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Now that the JVC RS20 is so old, have the lamps become cheaper? Suggestions for a lower cost lamp for this?

Thanks
This has been great since I got it end of April:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I get 16 ftl on a 120" wide 16:9 screen! I can't quite believe that, my measurement must be wrong. But it is plenty bright.

EDIT: And it is nice and stable. It's holding a calibration well.
post #41 of 47 Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
This has been great since I got it end of April:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I get 16 ftl on a 120" wide 16:9 screen! I can't quite believe that, my measurement must be wrong. But it is plenty bright.

EDIT: And it is nice and stable. It's holding a calibration well.
Thanks Erkq. I had already ordered it.. Amazon is amazing! Someone else quite $320 and Amazon has it for $110!
They say its a philips bulb..
Yours is an RS20? It is giving 15 ft lamberts on 120" wide screen? That is a LOT! I didnt realize rs20 was so bright. What is the lumen rating on rs20?
post #42 of 47 Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Erkq. I had already ordered it.. Amazon is amazing! Someone else quite $320 and Amazon has it for $110!
They say its a philips bulb..
Yours is an RS20? It is giving 15 ft lamberts on 120" wide screen? That is a LOT! I didnt realize rs20 was so bright. What is the lumen rating on rs20?
Yeah... I think I'm not measuring it right. It really can't be 900 lumens.

Yes, I have an RS20.
post #43 of 47 Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yeah... I think I'm not measuring it right. It really can't be 900 lumens.

Yes, I have an RS20.
Did you compare your projector with the new Sony hw40es with 1700 lumens? Just curious
post #44 of 47 Old 07-09-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you compare your projector with the new Sony hw40es with 1700 lumens? Just curious
I haven't been keeping up. Sony has a 1700 lumen pj? Holy cow! No... I haven't compared. Last I heard was Sony's 55 that could put out a calibrated 1200 lumens. Or was it 1000? I forget.
post #45 of 47 Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post
My two cents... I'd still be watching our RS-20 if it hadn't developed the "pink line" issue (at around 2900 hours which represented around 4 years of use)... given that I couldn't live with the pink line (or zooming out to hide it) I went ahead and ordered an RS-56 from AVS... Had it for a year now and it has brighter picture and I lucked into a good one from the convergence, focus, etc. standpoint. I don't see myself replacing the lamp as often as I did with the 20... 600+ hours so far and it is still brighter than the RS-20 was with a new lamp. But even with all the goodness of the RS-56 I still would be using the RS-20 if it hadn't developed the issue (in other words the 56 wasn't a significant enough upgrade in picture quality to justify the money spent). Barring another failure I plan to keep the RS-56 quite a while until reasonably priced 4k projectors become the norm.
My RS10 has the pink line as well and, fortunately, is easy to zoom off the screen in my setup. Initially, it was quite a concern for me, but eighteen months since I first noticed and is "only" a little over an inch wide on a 133" image. The funds have been earmarked, and just sitting there for a few years now, but every time I demo the latest JVC at a local store, it does not blow me away and certainly not with a Darbee in the chain. I could probably appreciate the better motion handling and improvement in sharpness and blacks but still, the over all picture looks very similar to mine. I can easily see my wife asking if we are watching the old pj or new one - so I wait for the next year, or my RS10 to fail.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #46 of 47 Old 07-11-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have an RS35 which has developed a red line on the left edge of the image. I can hide it by zooming and/or slightly shifting the image, but of course I'm losing some picture. Is this the pink line issue being discussed here? If so, does anyone know what the cause is?
post #47 of 47 Old 07-11-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
I have an RS35 which has developed a red line on the left edge of the image. I can hide it by zooming and/or slightly shifting the image, but of course I'm losing some picture. Is this the pink line issue being discussed here? If so, does anyone know what the cause is?
Not curable. At least not here in the US. Over in Europe a company has repaired these, but I suspect the fix is not permanent. It will get worse over time, requiring you to replace the projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page