Consensus best 3D glasses / emitter for JVCs? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #61 of 320 Old 07-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I found a US supplier and purchased 2 pair of the Xpand - x105-rf-x3 horizontal polarized glasses glasses for JVC projectors.
I received them in a week shipped UPS from Oregon to Florida.
They work great with my 4910!
I still wish in general I could get a brighter picture although it's still good. It may be I have to dial in my 4910 a bit more for optimal brightness.
If anyone has optimal settings for 3d it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I have a Dalite Cinemavision 1.3 gain screen which retains the polarization at a very high level.

I also purchased a pair of the $19 Xpand's for Mitsubishi to try and unfortunately with the screen were still too dark. If I turned them 90 degrees sideways
to mimic the horizontal polarization they looked great. I have to say the emitter included with the $19 Xpands works as well as my $100+ JVC emitter.

I was asked to not publish the price of the x105-rf-x3 glasses but they are substantially less than the JVC glasses and I would think work just as well though I
have not done a side by side comparison.

The email to order them is: technicalsupport@xpand.me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 320 Old 07-16-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Consensus best 3D glasses / emitter for JVCs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
It might be worth if for you to buy one pair of the Xpand Mitsubishi 105's for $18.99 with the emitter from Amazon and try them to be sure your screen retains polarization. The Samsung glasses might be the problem.

Got the Mits 105s from Amazon in the mail today and can confirm they do not work with my JVC PJ and Screen Innovations screen. I called SI and they confirmed the Zero Edge does keep polarity as a "feature".

Email sent to the above to see if I can get some.

Last edited by huddadudda; 07-16-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Edit
post #63 of 320 Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddadudda View Post
Got the Mits 105s from Amazon in the mail today and can confirm they do not work with my JVC PJ and Screen Innovations screen. I called SI and they confirmed the Zero Edge does keep polarity as a "feature".

Email sent to the above to see if I can get some.
Yes, it does seem that the Screen Innovations screen does does keep polarity so you can only use the JVC or special Xpand glasses. My screen and most others can use either kind.

post #64 of 320 Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hey everyone,

I'm just now finally checking out 3D on my JVC X700. I borrowed the Optoma ZF2100 glasses + BC100 emitter from a friend. I have a dnp Supernova blade 23-23 screen. It's weird, but the only time the image is bright enough to watch is when I look at the screen with my head tilted to the side. Is there a way to correct this, or are the Optoma emitter and glasses not compatible with my screen?

Reversing polarization from the emitter seems to do nothing. I see a quick flash and nothing changes. My buddy says they work fine for him, but he has a homemade white screen.

Would the Optoma ZF2300 + BC300 glasses/emitter be any different?

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #65 of 320 Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Consensus best 3D glasses / emitter for JVCs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm just now finally checking out 3D on my JVC X700. I borrowed the Optoma ZF2100 glasses + BC100 emitter from a friend. I have a dnp Supernova blade 23-23 screen. It's weird, but the only time the image is bright enough to watch is when I look at the screen with my head tilted to the side. Is there a way to correct this, or are the Optoma emitter and glasses not compatible with my screen?

Reversing polarization from the emitter seems to do nothing. I see a quick flash and nothing changes. My buddy says they work fine for him, but he has a homemade white screen.

Would the Optoma ZF2300 + BC300 glasses/emitter be any different?

Its the screen keeping polarization like mine as I had the same thing. You can use the email above and get the horizontal xpand 3D glasses or buy OEM. I went OEM as I didnt feel like taking the chance and there wasnt a "substantial" enough difference to offset the OEM warranty plus I knew they worked. Not to say the Xpands dont/wont work just decided to make my life easier and just bit the bullet. Sorry there isnt better news.

Last edited by huddadudda; 08-09-2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spellck
post #66 of 320 Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddadudda View Post
Its the screen keeping polarization like mine as I had the same thing. You can use the email above and get the horizontal xpand 3D glasses or buy OEM. I went OEM as I didnt feel like taking the chance and there wasnt a "substantial" enough difference to offset the OEM warranty plus I knew they worked. Not to say the Xpands dont/wont work just decided to make my life easier and just bit the bullet. Sorry there isnt better news.
Thanks, after further research into the matter that's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. They sure don't make it easy to watch 3D, everything has to be compatible.

I have emailed the link above to request a quote for the horizontal polarized glasses and emitter. If it's anywhere near the JVC glasses/emitter price, it's just not worth it for 3D, IMO.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 08-10-2014 at 08:28 AM.
post #67 of 320 Old 09-17-2014, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anyone know what the polarization properties are for basic Blackout cloth?

Also, just what determines those properties with various screens- is it related to gain or texture or some other quality?

I'm thinking about going with the Estar glasses + emitter , but looking over Curt Palmes site I noticed he has a solution for adding 3D capability to displays that don't have it (the 3d Theater and 3D Theater +). Has anyone ever used one of these? I'm still generally quite happy with my RS2 clone for 2D, though 3D on it will likely be even more dim than a new 4910- and also scaled down to 720p- but for the paltry amount of content I would be viewing, the $500 buy in (glasses included), makes it a very intriguing, and economical, alternative.
post #68 of 320 Old 09-17-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post
Does anyone know what the polarization properties are for basic Blackout cloth?

Also, just what determines those properties with various screens- is it related to gain or texture or some other quality?

I'm thinking about going with the Estar glasses + emitter , but looking over Curt Palmes site I noticed he has a solution for adding 3D capability to displays that don't have it (the 3d Theater and 3D Theater +). Has anyone ever used one of these? I'm still generally quite happy with my RS2 clone for 2D, though 3D on it will likely be even more dim than a new 4910- and also scaled down to 720p- but for the paltry amount of content I would be viewing, the $500 buy in (glasses included), makes it a very intriguing, and economical, alternative.
If it is basic blackout cloth screen it should not retain polarization. Save your money and get the Xpand 105 glasses with free emitter still available from Amazon for $18.99 These are the same glasses that JVC sells for $160 except the JVC have horizontal polarization.
There is no need for this on most screens. I suggest that you buy one pair and try them. These were made for Mitsubishi and they are closeouts because Mitsubishi left the projector business. An amazing buy. I have compared these to the original JVC's and they work just as well with my screen.

http://www.amazon.com/EX105BT-Shutte...shi+3d+glasses
post #69 of 320 Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just ordered one of each of the EStar and Xpands- both with the emitters.

I'll try the xpand first and if they satisfy may or may not open up the EStars. Curiosity will probably end up getting the best of me so I'll likely end up just reselling whichever I don't keep. I don't mind taking a slight hit to have my curiosity satisfied. Even if I kept both, that's still 1/3 the cost of the JVC glasses and emitter which I was budgeting for.
post #70 of 320 Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Thanks, after further research into the matter that's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. They sure don't make it easy to watch 3D, everything has to be compatible.

I have emailed the link above to request a quote for the horizontal polarized glasses and emitter. If it's anywhere near the JVC glasses/emitter price, it's just not worth it for 3D, IMO.
So did you get a response form them about the X105-RF-x3 glasses?
post #71 of 320 Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post
So did you get a response form them about the X105-RF-x3 glasses?
Yep, they were very prompt; I received a response the following day. WAY too expensive! 2 pair of glasses and the emitter was ~$500.00...I don't care for or watch 3-D that much.

I already deleted the email and can't remember exactly how much they quoted me. The price was high enough to make me say thanks but no thanks. Those stupid glasses and emitter probably cost them $10 dollars to make and I'm not paying 5000% markup.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #72 of 320 Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the response. Ouch on the price. Isnt that the same price as the JVC branded equiptment?
post #73 of 320 Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Ouch on the price. Isnt that the same price as the JVC branded equiptment?
Yeah, tell me about it. And yeah, it was a pretty similar price range as to what JVC is currently offering. I really want to be able to watch 3-D every now and then but geeze, the add-on cost is really outrageous all things considered. Oh well, maybe I'll find a solution one day that I can justify purchasing.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #74 of 320 Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, the problem is... I would like to see how much the horizontal polarization will affect my 3D viewing, compared to the $20 vertical xpand x105-rf glasses. If its a big difference, I would pay the $180 for the JVC glasses(Xpand wanted even more!).

But I dont want to just gamble and hope that its better.
post #75 of 320 Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Why not go for the very best?

Volfoni active with tethered receiver and rf transmitter.
post #76 of 320 Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Why not go for the very best?

Volfoni active with tethered receiver and rf transmitter.
Volfoni have received very good reviews but are difficult to fine in the US. Please provide a link.

I will again say that for those who don't want to spend a lot try the Amazon deal with emitter of the Xpand 105's. Most screens are not polarized. If they don't work in your situation send them back to Amazon. This is the easiest way.
post #77 of 320 Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, the problem is... I would like to see how much the horizontal polarization will affect my 3D viewing, compared to the $20 vertical xpand x105-rf glasses. If its a big difference, I would pay the $180 for the JVC glasses(Xpand wanted even more!).

But I dont want to just gamble and hope that its better.
Oh, the person I spoke with said they made a mistake on the price. Its actually much cheaper than the JVC ones. But still... more than I want to pay. I may go out on a limb and buy it though.
post #78 of 320 Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, the person I spoke with said they made a mistake on the price. Its actually much cheaper than the JVC ones. But still... more than I want to pay. I may go out on a limb and buy it though.
I had the same feeling so I did buy one of the pairs with Horizontal polarization to compare and I found no difference with the
closeout ones. I bought the one pair just to be sure there was no difference in my case. It was worth it for me since I was able to get 8 pairs of the closeout Xpand 105's for about $155. Now what to do with 8 emitters.
post #79 of 320 Old 09-20-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had the same feeling so I did buy one of the pairs with Horizontal polarization to compare and I found no difference with the
closeout ones. I bought the one pair just to be sure there was no difference in my case. It was worth it for me since I was able to get 8 pairs of the closeout Xpand 105's for about $155. Now what to do with 8 emitters.
I bought two pair of those. The emitter actually worked on my JVC DLA-X55R. But I am going to keep using my JVC emitter. Looking at the glasses/emiter, they are a steal at $19 shipped. Although, I like the samsung SSG-5150GB a little better.
post #80 of 320 Old 09-21-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought two pair of those. The emitter actually worked on my JVC DLA-X55R. But I am going to keep using my JVC emitter. Looking at the glasses/emiter, they are a steal at $19 shipped. Although, I like the samsung SSG-5150GB a little better.
I compared both the JVC and Xpand emitters and I found that the Xpand worked better with many different brands of glasses. I noticed slight ghosting on a few films with the JVC emitter and nearly none with the Xpand combo. Regarding the Samsung SSG-5150GB, I am surprised that you liked them better. I tried a pair and while they were comfortable they were not as bright as the Xpands. If you want to make the Xpands more comfortable you can apply heat from a hair dryer on the temples of the glasses and adjust them to fit.
khactuyen likes this.
post #81 of 320 Old 09-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I compared both the JVC and Xpand emitters and I found that the Xpand worked better with many different brands of glasses. I noticed slight ghosting on a few films with the JVC emitter and nearly none with the Xpand combo. Regarding the Samsung SSG-5150GB, I am surprised that you liked them better. I tried a pair and while they were comfortable they were not as bright as the Xpands. If you want to make the Xpands more comfortable you can apply heat from a hair dryer on the temples of the glasses and adjust them to fit.
So you're saying the Xpand emitter provides less ghosting than the JVC one? I've got a JVC emitter and some horizontally polarized Xpand glasses, and find there's ghosting. If you've got a whole lot of spare Xpand emitters and they're better than the JVC one, would you like to sell them?
post #82 of 320 Old 09-21-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjulio View Post
So you're saying the Xpand emitter provides less ghosting than the JVC one? I've got a JVC emitter and some horizontally polarized Xpand glasses, and find there's ghosting. If you've got a whole lot of spare Xpand emitters and they're better than the JVC one, would you like to sell them?
I would be happy to send you one. Just send me a private message with the info. It will be interesting to see the your results. Do you have a RS4910/500 projector and the 105 Xpand glasses?
post #83 of 320 Old 09-21-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I would be happy to send you one. Just send me a private message with the info. It will be interesting to see the your results. Do you have a RS4910/500 projector and the 105 Xpand glasses?
I have an X700 with 105 Xpand glasses that are horizontal polarized, not the official JVC ones.
post #84 of 320 Old 09-21-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have an X700 with 105 Xpand glasses that are horizontal polarized, not the official JVC ones.

Just send me a private message with your address and I will send you an emitter.
post #85 of 320 Old 09-28-2014, 10:57 PM

I received the emitter and have just been trying it out. It's definitely better in my opinion. The 3d actually hangs together better. There's still some ghosting, but it's less than the JVC emitter.
post #86 of 320 Old 09-28-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I received the emitter and have just been trying it out. It's definitely better in my opinion. The 3d actually hangs together better. There's still some ghosting, but it's less than the JVC emitter.
did the projector warm up for at least 30 minutes?

On my x500 there is no ghosting or flicker when I watched Hugo. but I think W7000 and W1070 had more solid 3D due to noticeably better 3D motion.
post #87 of 320 Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
did the projector warm up for at least 30 minutes?

On my x500 there is no ghosting or flicker when I watched Hugo. but I think W7000 and W1070 had more solid 3D due to noticeably better 3D motion.
Yes, before the 30mins warmup the ghosting is terrible. I use the CMD for 3d to make picture not goto pieces when there's alot of movement. I don't use it for 2d.
post #88 of 320 Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, before the 30mins warmup the ghosting is terrible. I use the CMD for 3d to make picture not goto pieces when there's alot of movement. I don't use it for 2d.
Glad you had the same experience I had with the emitter. If you live in the US buying this deal for the glasses and emitter is an amazing buy for under $20.
I mentioned it to the JVC people at CETA and they were very surprised. I also told them that I felt that the Xpand emitter worked better than the
JVC one. I am posting the link below for anyone who might be still interested. The glasses work great as long as your screen is not polarized (most screens are not.) The emitter works with any screen .

http://www.amazon.com/EX105BT-Shutte...shi+3d+glasses
fatjulio likes this.
post #89 of 320 Old 10-01-2014, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the new PJ in yesterday and got it set up.
This is my first experience with 3D, so it took several hours of trial and error to start getting any kind of watchable image.

I decided to try the Estar glasses first because the emitter with it's joystick and LED display seemed like it would be easier to make adjustments with in case I needed to-which I did.
It's going to take me a good while to get the hang of pairing them and then adjusting the duty cycle and polarity and then calibrating each new disc at the display to optimize it.
While I saw frequent ghosting on most of the content I tried last night (mostly 50's era 3D films), I was encouraged by my short experience with Gravity. Initially it started off as a real hot mess with the crosstalk so bad that it was giving me a headache. But between some adjustment at the emitter and trial and error with different display settings, I was able to eliminate just about all problems. The resultant image wasn't as bright and clear as it was at the theater in Imax3D, but it was highly watchable.

When I fire it up tonight, I'll give the Xpands a shot.
post #90 of 320 Old 10-01-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post
Got the new PJ in yesterday and got it set up.
This is my first experience with 3D, so it took several hours of trial and error to start getting any kind of watchable image.

I decided to try the Estar glasses first because the emitter with it's joystick and LED display seemed like it would be easier to make adjustments with in case I needed to-which I did.
It's going to take me a good while to get the hang of pairing them and then adjusting the duty cycle and polarity and then calibrating each new disc at the display to optimize it.
While I saw frequent ghosting on most of the content I tried last night (mostly 50's era 3D films), I was encouraged by my short experience with Gravity. Initially it started off as a real hot mess with the crosstalk so bad that it was giving me a headache. But between some adjustment at the emitter and trial and error with different display settings, I was able to eliminate just about all problems. The resultant image wasn't as bright and clear as it was at the theater in Imax3D, but it was highly watchable.

When I fire it up tonight, I'll give the Xpands a shot.
I am surprised at your last statement that your picture was not as bright and clear as it was in the theater. I don't know what size screen you are using or how dark your room is but in my case the 3D picture was brighter with more detail and blacks than in the Imax theater. I am using the Xpand emitter and glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 5100gb 3d Active Glasses , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Bg Bc100b 3d Rf Emitter Only , Xpand X105 Rf X1 Rechargeable 3d Rf Bluetooth Glasses

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page