Consensus best 3D glasses / emitter for JVCs? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Room (and ceiling) is dark and the screen is surrounded by black velvet.
Screen width is about 94" and viewing distance is about 1:1.

Having no familiarity with the 3D tech, I can't tell you how exactly I arrived at it, But I think I changed the Gamma profile, ratcheted down the xtalk canceller, changed the color temp...and probably deviated in a few other areas from the default 3D settings...all of which seemed to be contributing to severe xtalk.

I was ~satisfied~ with what I arrived at because it was remarkably clean compared to what I had started with. But it was also a lot less dynamic and not quite as bright. Definitely not as bright as the theatrical showing- but OTOH, not far off from my experience seeing Avatar years back (I think it was Real3D) which was amusing, but kind of underwhelming due to a lack of brightness in the image.
Come to think of it, Even Hugo and TinTin didn't seem all that great either.
Gravity is the only theatrical 3D experience I've had that honestly impressed me.

I do have to say I was seeing good shadow detail in the star fields though...unless I was just seeing shading/uniformity errors

Tonight I'll probably try to concentrate on getting a watchable image out of Inferno which is a beautiful looking 50's era Noir that takes place in the southwest desert...so lots of dark figures against bright backgrounds.

Last edited by Paulidan; 10-01-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post
Room (and ceiling) is dark and the screen is surrounded by black velvet.
Screen width is about 94" and viewing distance is about 1:1.

Having no familiarity with the 3D tech, I can't tell you how exactly I arrived at it, But I think I changed the Gamma profile, ratcheted down the xtalk canceller, changed the color temp...and probably deviated in a few other areas from the default 3D settings...all of which seemed to be contributing to severe xtalk.

I was ~satisfied~ with what I arrived at because it was remarkably clean compared to what I had started with. But it was also a lot less dynamic and not quite as bright. Definitely not as bright as the theatrical showing- but OTOH, not far off from my experience seeing Avatar years back (I think it was Real3D) which was amusing, but kind of underwhelming due to a lack of brightness in the image.
Come to think of it, Even Hugo and TinTin didn't seem all that great either.
Gravity is the only theatrical 3D experience I've had that honestly impressed me.

I do have to say I was seeing good shadow detail in the star fields though...unless I was just seeing shading/uniformity errors

Tonight I'll probably try to concentrate on getting a watchable image out of Inferno which is a beautiful looking 50's era Noir that takes place in the southwest desert...so lots of dark figures against bright backgrounds.
With your room at screen size 3D should look very good with little crosstalk at the default settings. If possible can you let the projector warm up for 30 minutes and test it with the Xpand emitter and 3D glasses.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Tried the Xpands last night and you were right. I was blown away by how much better they were.
Inferno was pretty much ghost free when the night before xtalk was almost constantly in evidence to some degree.
And Gravity, with all the settings back to default and the crosstalk canceller at +8, was tremendously bright and dynamic.
Not only was the visual quality drastically improved, but the whole user experience was a breeze. Two presses of the button on the glasses and everything was good to go.

The Xpands are the real deal folks.
$20 vs $250 for the JVC...unbelievable.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Are these xpands compatible with the rs40?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post
Are these xpands compatible with the rs40?
They should work with no problem with most JVC projectors. You must use the included emitter. Grab a few pairs while you can at this price.

I am wondering if the problem with the Estar was reversed polarity. I know that the Xpand 105 deal is amazing but the Estar's should still work.
johnsmith808 likes this.

Last edited by rwestley; 10-02-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
damn to bad they do not ship to Canada

I have the old IR emmiter. Will this BT emitter work on the X35

Last edited by space2001; 10-02-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
damn to bad they do not ship to Canada

I have the old IR emmiter. Will this BT emitter work on the X35
It should work but your IR glasses will not work with the Xpand emitter since they are RF
Old 10-02-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the BT emitter used to run from the JVC for these Xpand BT glasses?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Sorry, I see on Amazon that the emitter is included for price. Will try it out.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
They should work with no problem with most JVC projectors. You must use the included emitter. Grab a few pairs while you can at this price.

I am wondering if the problem with the Estar was reversed polarity. I know that the Xpand 105 deal is amazing but the Estar's should still work.
Thank you!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Creature From The Black Lagoon was the only title where I specifically needed to go to the emitter and reverse the polarity on the Estar's, each and every time that I put it in.
On the Xpands, while the movie cued up with the polarity wrong, the glasses seemed to snap that into place almost immediately- and automatically. I didn't need to do anything.

It's possible that with so many things that you can manually adjust on the Estar emitter, that I was making the image more problematic than it needed to be.
But the fact is, the entire process with the Xpands was 100x simpler and more streamlined. Literally just two button presses - a quick tap to turn them on, then a slightly longer paused press to synch them. Everything else was automatic.

If I have one mild complaint besides the physical comfort of the Xpands, it's that the shuttering of the lenses seemed slower and more obvious.- Or is this what people are referring to as flickering? I didn't have any complaints whatsoever as far as brightness with them, so if it is the duty cycle they may already be at the best compromise setting for balancing brightness and minimizing xtalk.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Creature From The Black Lagoon was the only title where I specifically needed to go to the emitter and reverse the polarity on the Estar's, each and every time that I put it in.
On the Xpands, while the movie cued up with the polarity wrong, the glasses seemed to snap that into place almost immediately- and automatically. I didn't need to do anything.

It's possible that with so many things that you can manually adjust on the Estar emitter, that I was making the image more problematic than it needed to be.
But the fact is, the entire process with the Xpands was 100x simpler and more streamlined. Literally just two button presses - a quick tap to turn them on, then a slightly longer paused press to synch them. Everything else was automatic.

If I have one mild complaint besides the physical comfort of the Xpands, it's that the shuttering of the lenses seemed slower and more obvious.- Or is this what people are referring to as flickering? I didn't have any complaints whatsoever as far as brightness with them, so if it is the duty cycle they may already be at the best compromise setting for balancing brightness and minimizing xtalk.
I agree with you about the physical comfort of the Xpands. The good news is that there is an easy fix. Heat up the temples of
the Xpands for a short time and make the adjustments to fit. I use a hair dryer or a heat gun. If you use a heat gun it takes only a few seconds and you have to be careful. I have had to do this with different brands of glasses before.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I just wanted to let you all know that I just ordered a few pairs to replace my monster glasses.
I have a JVC RS45 and will post my impressions once I get them.

Thanks soo much (rwestley) for letting me know about this unbelievable deal.

Sure hope they work!

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Watched Avatar the night before, in full, with the Xpands. The flickering was fatiguing and I was kind of thankful when the film was finally over. Ghosting/xtalk wasn't a problem at all- maybe a dozen instances where I could see it for a few seconds in the course of a 2.5 hr movie.

I tried to watch some scenes from it again tonight , this time with the Estars, and while there was a slight bit more ghosting, they were overall much more comfortable all around.
I think the problem with them must be the emitter. They seemed to lose sync now and then for no real reason (though it snapped back a few seconds later) and I can't seem to get the LED display to flash any of the sequences as described in the manual- which makes it difficult to know if I'm adjusting the right settings or not. Also polarity got reversed in the middle of one scene, again for no reason I could see.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Watched Avatar the night before, in full, with the Xpands. The flickering was fatiguing and I was kind of thankful when the film was finally over. Ghosting/xtalk wasn't a problem at all- maybe a dozen instances where I could see it for a few seconds in the course of a 2.5 hr movie.

I tried to watch some scenes from it again tonight , this time with the Estars, and while there was a slight bit more ghosting, they were overall much more comfortable all around.
I think the problem with them must be the emitter. They seemed to lose sync now and then for no real reason (though it snapped back a few seconds later) and I can't seem to get the LED display to flash any of the sequences as described in the manual- which makes it difficult to know if I'm adjusting the right settings or not. Also polarity got reversed in the middle of one scene, again for no reason I could see.
The Estar glasses are made by Bit Cauldron and they are more difficult to set up as you noticed. With the JVC you probably will have to shut down and restart the unit to get the LED to display to flash any of the sequences as described. I agree that the Estar's are more comfortable but it is easy to make the Xpands more comfortable. I used a heat gun to adjust the temples on the glasses. You have to be careful doing this. I have tried the Xpands with the RS4910 and they work for me. Some people are really bothered by flicker which many non DLP projectors exhibit. The new JVC's are less prone to flicker and ghosting than previous models but nothing beats DLP for 3d. That is the reason why I have two projectors.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow...and I just bought 3 pairs of xpands for my JVC to replace my 2 year old Monsters...
I HOPE I won't be disappointed. I especially hope they work with the JVC RS45 model I have

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
Old 10-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm guessing the Xpands will not work correctly with my HCCV DaLite 106"
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
I'm guessing the Xpands will not work correctly with my HCCV DaLite 106"
They should work ok, dalite only lists the silver matte and 3D virtual black as having full polarization retention

http://www.da-lite.com/~/media/Image...on-Screens.pdf
the_abbot likes this.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
Wow...and I just bought 3 pairs of xpands for my JVC to replace my 2 year old Monsters...
I HOPE I won't be disappointed. I especially hope they work with the JVC RS45 model I have
I can't speak to how well they will work with that particular model.
OTOH, they worked well in that some content (native 3D material, not conversions) was solid when the Estars were giving me a lot of trouble with crosstalk and ghosting that I wasn't able to tune out (but maybe I will be with more work).
The physical discomfort of them (for me) is in both the tension of the arms, which as rwestley suggested you can adjust with a hair dryer or heat gun, and the the way they sit on the bridge of my nose. That + the more visible flicker makes me want to get the Estars tuned as well as possible. I may end up be willing to trade a little more visible ghosting for a more comfortable fit and a lot less flicker.
Unfortunately, it just may be that the two are relative to each other and it's either going to be one or the other- like brightness is relative to ghosting. I also didn't have the Estars on nearly as long as I did the Xpand the night before. So I may change my tune after wearing those for 2.5 hours too.

The thing is, I was ready to sell off the Estars when I saw how much better out of the box the Xpands worked. But after 2.5 hrs with them on my face, I'm motivated to see if I can get the Estars working as well or better.

It may just end up being there are pluses and minuses to each brand and, depending on the content I may just want to switch back and forth.
For that reason, I'm glad now that I decided to try both out.

Last edited by Paulidan; 10-07-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Paulidan,

Thank you very much for your reply...I'll definitely leave my impressions once I try them.
I can this this regarding my monster glasses that I'm presently using...
they are silly heavy, can't hold a charge for beans, one pair has given out it's been a while now and they ALL leave the rubber on the nose after removing them after a movie.

I hate them...they are also not uniform as when moving my head up and down, barely, it is amazing the amount of out of focus to focus they are in their glasses.
It's really sad!

I'm sure these are a lot better (I hope). I just hope they work...that's all.

Regards,

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will the Xpands work with a dalite High Power screen?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone.

I'm interesting in buying 6 mitsubishi glasses for my X500 or X700 which I'm going to order soon.

I see two links in amazon. One is with emitter included and one without.

http://www.amazon.com/EX105BT-Shutte...eywords=X105BT

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-X10...eywords=X105BT

I guess the emitter works for all glasses at the same time? Right?

Should I buy 2 pairs with the emitter and the rest just the glasses? Are they the same glasses? What do you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your advice
Old 10-10-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

These were the ones I bought for the 4910. They work well, with the aforementioned caveats as to comfort and flicker.

I would just buy multiple pairs of these and save the extra emitters just in case you ever need them...or give them to a friend, etc. Get 'em while the getting is good. Even with my issues with them, I still think they are a hell of a deal compared to all the other alternatives.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
These were the ones I bought for the 4910. They work well, with the aforementioned caveats as to comfort and flicker.
Yes, these are the ones I'm talking about.
My question is if I can use on single emitter for 6 pairs of glasses.
Because I see each pair comes with an emitter. So basically I buy 6 of those on the link above and can use all 6 glasses at the same time with one of the 6 emitters (put the other 5 in the closet).
Sorry for my English. I'm trying my best to explain what my real question is
Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. They'll all sync to the same emitter- whichever one of the group you use.
sveltosss likes this.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:55 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Correct - the emitter plugs into the projector, and all the glasses use the same emitter. There is actually no way to plug in multiple emitters. There's only one emitter plug on any projector.

Kal
sveltosss likes this.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
Paulidan,

Thank you very much for your reply...I'll definitely leave my impressions once I try them.
I can this this regarding my monster glasses that I'm presently using...
they are silly heavy, can't hold a charge for beans, one pair has given out it's been a while now and they ALL leave the rubber on the nose after removing them after a movie.

I hate them...they are also not uniform as when moving my head up and down, barely, it is amazing the amount of out of focus to focus they are in their glasses.
It's really sad!

I'm sure these are a lot better (I hope). I just hope they work...that's all.

Regards,
Well I finally got my 3 pairs of glasses and am selling them
The glasses have WAY MORE ghosting then my monster glasses...in fact It is unbelievable the difference.

If anyone in the greater Montreal area would like these please let me know.

I'm so disappointed with these

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
Old 10-11-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Correct - the emitter plugs into the projector, and all the glasses use the same emitter. There is actually no way to plug in multiple emitters. There's only one emitter plug on any projector.

Kal
I made an inexpensive splitter a while ago for the JVC, it works with every combo of transmitters i've tried so far over the years. This would be helpful if someone had a combo of IR and RF glasses.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Can anyone who has made Zombie's splitter, please post where they purchased the female ends to make it up? I purchased new VESA ends that I then soldered the wire to and sadly the system didn't work. I'm not sure if the 4th non-insulated (ground?) needed to be soldered in. If I found some already wired female ends, I could easily solder it to a male end. I don't want to sacrifice my male end to find out how the wires attach to the connector- beyond checking for resistance to make sure I've made a good solder joint. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

several folks successfully made that cable after I posted it a few years ago, I did connect the 4 wires.

This is similar to the cable I used but it was much cheaper, maybe 3-4$ a piece, i'll see if I can find them.

http://www.amazon.com/miniDin-emitte.../dp/B00BK8QPQO

Tags
Samsung Ssg 5100gb 3d Active Glasses , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Bg Bc100b 3d Rf Emitter Only , Xpand X105 Rf X1 Rechargeable 3d Rf Bluetooth Glasses