Consensus best 3D glasses / emitter for JVCs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Have a 4810 on the way and want to check out the 3D. Has there ever been a consensus on the best accessories for this?

The options seem to be:

1. The JVC emitter (around $90) and compatible RF glasses, like the Samsung 4100/5100s ($20)
  2. An emitter based on the Bit Cauldron stuff, for example the Optoma, CurtPalme, or Estar emitter, and corresponding glasses (around $60 per pair)

I like that the Samsung and other glasses compatible with the JVC emitter are so cheap, making it more economical to outfit multiple guests, but there have been some glowing reviews on the Estar stuff that make me wonder if the price is worth it -- one poster in the Sharp 30000 thread said that with the Estar glasses, the ghosting on his JVC was completely eliminated. A very impressive claim if true, but I didn't see any corroboration or even any further posts from the original guy reinforcing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
At least in previous models, the Monster Vision were considered the "best". But I can't comment on RF versions.

Don't forget your screen polarization retention is a factor as well: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300238/discussion-screens-for-3d-projection
post #3 of 61 Old 12-30-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

At least in previous models, the Monster Vision were considered the "best". But I can't comment on RF versions.

Don't forget your screen polarization retention is a factor as well: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300238/discussion-screens-for-3d-projection

With my experience with both the MonsterVision Max 3D emitter/glasses and EStar emitter/glasses. The newer BitCouldron glasses the Estar system uses are lighter, more comfortable, let more light through (brighter 3D image), and show less ghosting than the older BitCouldron glasses that the MonsterVision Max 3D system uses.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #4 of 61 Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The CurtPalme offer seems very interesting...has anyone tried that very kit (Bit Cauldron BC6000 glasses Bit Cauldron RF emitter) with their JVC projector?

Stef
post #5 of 61 Old 12-30-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

The CurtPalme offer seems very interesting...has anyone tried that very kit (Bit Cauldron BC6000 glasses Bit Cauldron RF emitter) with their JVC projector?
estar optoma bc6000 are pretty much same emitter glasses made by bit cauldron
post #6 of 61 Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So there are no cheap alternative glasses for the Estar/BitCauldron emitter as there are for the JVC emitter?
post #7 of 61 Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 AM

As i understand it they use different rf frequency then other rf glasses
post #8 of 61 Old 01-01-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, but I'm a little surprised there don't seem to be any other glasses that use that frequency.

Has anyone compared the image quality (brightness, ghosting, etc) of any of the glasses with the Estar/Optoma/Bitcauldron emitter to any of the glasses with the JVC emitter? I think Seegs did, anyone else?
post #9 of 61 Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JVC emitter + 2 pairs of Samsung glasses = $126
Estar emitter + 2 pairs of glasses = $120

JVC emitter + 4 pairs of Samsung glasses = $162
Estar emitter + 4 pairs of glasses = $230
post #10 of 61 Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm interested in buying less expensive RF option 3D emitter and glasses for the new JVC RS49XX series. I contacted Curt Palm about the Bitcauldrons, they stated they have sent the question of compatibility in to the manufacturer and are waiting on a response. I would just buy them and try them out but I'd lose 15% to a restocking fee and the both way shipping charges.

Seegs, did you find some that work on the RS49s?

Curttard, have you verified the Samsungs work on the new JVCs, and if so, can you give model numbers for them?
kal likes this.
post #11 of 61 Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 AM

I have just ordered a pair of glasses and an emitter from Curtpalme. I will be able to try them soon with my RS57 and I will report back.

Stef
post #12 of 61 Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Estar of america are same glasses emitter as curt palme but cheaper on amazon
post #13 of 61 Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You guys can do whatever you want of course but if you do a little research and go back into the past JVC 3D owners thread you'll see that the $180 JVC OEM's are in fact made for them by xpand Corporation. Over the years Jason, myself and others have tested these glasses (the Universal models), and found no discernible difference (just a whole lot cheaper). I own 10 IR x104's myself and have had no problems. In some ways using their PC software I'm able to get them to look a tad better than the JVC's (which I also still own for a total of 12 pairs!), and their support is very good.

Last year I was told at the request of JVC, xpand remove the 3D projectors from their compatibility list (for obvious reasons… so you'd feel compelled buy the OEM version!), but still work no problem.

Now... I haven't actually tested the new x105 RF model but if you look I think you'll see as in all three previous years models they appear to be exact to the new JVC's AG3's (and they're only $55 on The Jungle!)…

wink.gif

JVC's:

XPAND 105s:

(PS - Be very careful buying another manufacturers glasses like Samsung as they use a different polarization so they may work per sea but will be much darker).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #14 of 61 Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

krichter1, but there's not been a JVC before now that used RF yet, right?

Steff, thanks for taking the chance, please let us know one way or another.

I'd be all behind 3D if it didn't cost $1000 to get my family into the game!
post #15 of 61 Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Last year's line introduced RF.

BTW… it's worth mentioning for those who don't know but xPands are vertically polarised so they will have the same problem as all the other non-JVC glasses if your screen material maintains polarisation. To my knowledge only JVC glasses are about the only horizontally polarized out there. My Seymour CenterStage XD material does not so it's of no issue for me (but I'm not a screen expert so you'll have to research this aspect of your screen to know which one's will work for you (i.e. - are you stuck with only being able to choose the JVC's for 3D… IDK)).

Kevin

post #16 of 61 Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
My screen maintains partial polarisation and any non-JVC glasses lose about 20% light. In the UK there is a reseller selling "special" horizontally polarised versions of the XpanD glasses that JVC are branding/bundling with their projectors. They are pretty much identical except for the missing JVC logo.
post #17 of 61 Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Last year's line introduced RF.

BTW… it's worth mentioning for those who don't know but xPands are vertically polarized so they will have the same problem as all the other non-JVC glasses if your screen material maintains polarization. To my knowledge only JVC glasses are about the only horizontally polarized out there. My Seymour CenterStage XD material does not so it's of no issue for me (but I'm not a screen expert so you'll have to research this aspect of your screen to know which one's will work for you (i.e. - are you stuck with only being able to choose the JVC's for 3D… IDK)).

I've been interested in alternate glasses to compliment my existing pair of JVC glasses as well. I had been eyeing the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses myself and I emailed Xpand specifically regarding the polarization. Here is my request:

"I'm looking for some Xpand RF glasses that feature RF and horizontal polarization on the active shutter lenses to use with my new projector. The X105-RF-X1 glasses look like they may fit the bill although your site doesn't list compatibility with my projector band. Can you please confirm if they are horizontal polarization? I've heard they may be ordered with horizontal or vertical polarization so I want to ensure I get the ones with horizontal polarization.

BTW, My projector is the brand new JVC X500 projector. I've already bought the JVC RF emitter and two pairs of JVC branded glasses at >$140 per pair. I have x kids ages x to x that I'm seeking cheaper options for so the whole family can enjoy. FWIW, the X105-RF-X1 glasses look identical to the JVC glasses I bought minus the logo, which I'm hoping is the case."

Xpand's Response:

"All our glasses have vertical polarization, because all TVs and projectors have vertical polarization. The only exception is JVC, because they use horizontal polarization.

So, while X105-RF-X1, and B104 models will work with your projector, because of polarization you will experience brightness loss which is less than 10%, so not noticeable for most human eyes.
I understand that you don’t want to pay that much for the original JVC glasses (which we make that’s why it looks identical but polarization is different), so I suggest the best way for you would be to buy for your kids B104 models. They will not notice brightness loss anyway, this is for professional eyes.

And also please note that B104 comes in different sizes including Kid (!) size! So, you can get for your kids B104SX1, or B104SX2 – difference between those two is in color, one is red, the other one dark blue. So for girls you can get red one, assuming that you have girls smile.gif"

It sure feels like JVC and Xpand struck a deal to just pull compatibility off their website... wink.gif I have read that it is possible to order them with horizontal polarization instead of vertical polarization--at least over in the UK; however, I haven't found a place to order them that way. I was reading in the screen polarization thread and realized that I, like Krichter1, am using a screen that doesn't retain any polarization anyway so I don't think it matters whether the glasses are horizontal or not for those of us that fall into that screen camp. As such, I ordered two pairs of Samsung SSG-5100GB glasses from the Jungle for less than the price of one pair of Xpand X105-RF-X1s to try out for the kids. On my Seymour screen I couldn't tell much difference between the Samsung's and the official JVC glasses. I my brief 20 minute comparison, I think the JVC glasses might have been ever so slightly brighter and richer on color, but that just be my mind telling me they should given I could have bought 7 pair of the Samsung for the price of one pair of JVC glasses.

For anyone considering the Samsung glasses, consider the following:
  • They are not rechargeable. They take a CR2025 lithium button battery that is supposed to run for 100 hours or more per battery. The batteries are cheap but if you forget to turn the glasses off you're going to chew through them.
  • The sides of the frame do not fold in. They are very flexible and very light but you can't just fold them up and put them in a case. I keep mine on an empty shelf in my rack.
  • The actual height of the lenses are shorter than the JVC glasses. The image on my 142" diagonal 2.35 screen barely fit comfortably within my field of view at a distance of 13'. I preferred the additional real estate of the larger JVC lenses; however, for smaller heads/children I think they work out great. Half of my kids preferred the Samsungs and half preferred the JVC glasses for fit.

Unless I learn about some more compelling options from other users in this thread I will probably order up a couple of pairs of Xpand X105s for adult guests and a few more Samsung 5100GBs for the kids.

Edit: Fixed typo.
post #18 of 61 Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that confirmation feedback Frag and I agree with the support reps brightness decline being somewhat negligible but for people like us using JVC PJ's we need to squeeze all the brightness we can get (although this year the Crosstalk canceler slider moved to the positive side increases that dramatically!). smile.gif

The extinction ratio also plays an important role on some screens and there is really good intel on all these concepts & practical applications in the original RS50 & "new" JVC PJ threads from 2011. wink.gif

Kevin

post #19 of 61 Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM

It seems like the glasses sold by Curtpalme can be polarized either horizontally or vertically:

"AUGUST 2012 UPDATE: The RF glasses have been redesigned and are much improved over the originals. The new glasses are stylish and form fitting and include a quick polarity swap feature built right into the glasses (a quick tap of the power button reverses polarity) "

here is the page:

http://www.curtpalme.com/RFGlasses.shtm

This would allow to avoid the 10% drop in luminosity I believe.

Stef
post #20 of 61 Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems like the glasses sold by Curtpalme can be polarized either horizontally or vertically:

"AUGUST 2012 UPDATE: The RF glasses have been redesigned and are much improved over the originals. The new glasses are stylish and form fitting and include a quick polarity swap feature built right into the glasses (a quick tap of the power button reverses polarity) "

here is the page:

http://www.curtpalme.com/RFGlasses.shtm

This would allow to avoid the 10% drop in luminosity I believe.

No, that's not changing the polarisation. That's changing the polarity of the left/right lenses so that for certain hardware or unusually encoded material you can change which lens closes on which frame (i.e. alter which frame the left eye sees and which the right eye sees)
post #21 of 61 Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah that would of been a nice trick huh Jon!? biggrin.gif

Hey bud when you get a chance to hop over to the 57 thread... I'd love your take/reaction on the 3D side-by-side shots (improvements?), I provided this year from our convo of the 55's performance (and some of your insight as it relates to the 56 performance; being I can't speak about that)! smile.gif

Kevin

post #22 of 61 Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never had 3D on a projector, only plasmas which came with the correct glasses, so I need a little help. First off, I have a 106" Vapex electric 1.0 ga. white screen, which I think is made by Elite and I think retains partial polarization (please tell me if I have this wrong). So, I just bought a JVC emitter, which will work with everything EXCEPT the CurtPalm/bitcauldron/Optoma stuff ,right? I've got a couple pair of Samsung 4100 glasses lying around I'll try it with them first, probably these will end up being the kids glasses. So, the JVC glasses suffer no brightness loss regardless of screen polarization retention? Or is it just the same as the Xpand 105RFX1, like 1 10-20% loss? Might be a tough choice if the JVCs are brighter by 20% than any of the others, but I cant imagine this is the case. Brightness really is the most important factor besides price for me, I'll only use them a few times a year so eating up batteries, uncomfortable if worn for >2 hrs, etc., won't be much of a problem.

I've got Tron 3D for demo but I'll probably pick up something brighter that will show the brightness difference better. Any suggestions?
post #23 of 61 Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Have a 4810 on the way and want to check out the 3D. Has there ever been a consensus on the best accessories for this?

The options seem to be:

1. The JVC emitter (around $90) and compatible RF glasses, like the Samsung 4100/5100s ($20)

I like that the Samsung and other glasses compatible with the JVC emitter are so cheap, making it more economical to outfit multiple guests...

I had a pair of Samsung 5100 lying around and thought the same thing...I'd just let the kids wear these as its not unheard of during a movie night at my house for an all out brawl to break out and someone to catch an elbow to the face...at which point the movie actually becomes the least interesting thing to watch. Anyway, the Samsung 5100's DO NOT WORK with my JVC RS4910 and JVC emitter. (thought the instructions on both are scant, I assume you plug 'em in, pair 'em up, and they "snap" into focus?) Anyway, so, now that I have a non-returnable JVC emitter it looks like I'm stuck going the Xpand/JVC glasses route unless I can find an alternative.

If I did the 3D pairing wrong, please, someone have mercy and tell me the correct way.
post #24 of 61 Old 01-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:

I have just ordered a pair of glasses and an emitter from Curtpalme. I will be able to try them soon with my RS57 and I will report back.

I got my glasses today, hopefully I will be able to try them next weekend, my unraid server is currently down and I cannot acces my movies right now...

Stef
post #25 of 61 Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bought a pair of Xpand 105-RF-X1 off Amazon. Supposed to be here early next week. Will report after I get them.
post #26 of 61 Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

I had a pair of Samsung 5100 lying around and thought the same thing...I'd just let the kids wear these as its not unheard of during a movie night at my house for an all out brawl to break out and someone to catch an elbow to the face...at which point the movie actually becomes the least interesting thing to watch. Anyway, the Samsung 5100's DO NOT WORK with my JVC RS4910 and JVC emitter. (thought the instructions on both are scant, I assume you plug 'em in, pair 'em up, and they "snap" into focus?) Anyway, so, now that I have a non-returnable JVC emitter it looks like I'm stuck going the Xpand/JVC glasses route unless I can find an alternative.

If I did the 3D pairing wrong, please, someone have mercy and tell me the correct way.

Did you make sure that you had active 3D content running when you tried to pair them? If you didn't have an active signal at the time they will not pair. You should be able to hold them about a foot away from the emitter, press and hold the power button and the green and red LEDS should blink alternately for about 2 seconds while it pairs, and then they just snap into focus. If you bought the Samsung SSG-5100GB glasses that I mentioned in post #17 above, they should definitely work as I am running them just fine with the JVC RF emitter on my new X500. Perhaps you should pull the battery and then try and pair them again. Make sure the emitter is plugged in securely as well, just in case smile.gif

JVCX5003DEmitter.jpg 1277k .jpg file

One more thing, if you happened to plug the emitter in while the projector was running (and perhaps even while just plugged in) you will probably have to power off the unit and power it back on or you may see 3D that isn't being transmitting properly (a different frame in each lens that don't together for a single image). I did something like that the very first time with my JVC glasses and thought, what is going on? Fortunately, powering it down (can't remember if I unplugged it), unplugging and plugging in the emitter to make sure it was in solid, and powering back up that first time fixed the problem permanently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JVCX5003DEmitter.jpg (1.25 MB, 14 views)
post #27 of 61 Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

First off, JVCs instructions are the worse on anything concerning 3D (and Samsung cam with a 40 pg. book but only 3 pgs. in English-all diagrams) Yeah I definitely had Tron 3D on and was toggling between 3D modes auto-SxS-above/below, etc, to make sure that wasn't the problem. So, its a little trickier in my setup, because my pj is in a long closet behind my room with a porthole for the lens. So, I walked around to the pj and got a foot away and paired them, but then couldn't see the image on the screen, so I had to walk around and out of the closet and by that time, yeah, all I got was two seperate independent images out of the glasses...I did get a alternately blinking red-green-red light but then it didn't pair, pretty sure at that point I unplugged the emitter and replugged the emitter with the pj still running (does the larger "flap" part face the bottom of the pj?)
Anyway, never got them to work. I'll try plugging the transmitter in while the pj is off and then repeat the whole pairing business. It also doesn't feel like the emmitter goes in super solid, no positive click or noticeable seating, it just slides in maybe an 1/4" and is still kinda wiggly and then that's all it does (Gentlemen! Minds out of the gutter...)

Thanks for the advice.
post #28 of 61 Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Wait, I just looked closer at these glasses and realized the problem, they're IR and my projector in inside a closet. The porthole does not provide a line of site to the glasses. Is there such a thing as a cable for the 3D emitter (looks similar to S-video). Please let me know if you've used a cable extender with your JVC (or other brand) pj and which one you used.

Thanks,
post #29 of 61 Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Wait, I just looked closer at these glasses and realized the problem, they're IR and my projector in inside a closet. The porthole does not provide a line of site to the glasses. Is there such a thing as a cable for the 3D emitter (looks similar to S-video). Please let me know if you've used a cable extender with your JVC (or other brand) pj and which one you used.

Thanks,

I am totally confused by what you have purchased now. The emitter for JVC projectors that emits IR is on a cable...and a long one too! The RF emitter is a tiny thing that plugs into the back of the projector and has no visible window or cable.

It sounds like you bought IR glasses for an RF emitter which of course won't work?
post #30 of 61 Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I am totally confused by what you have purchased now. The emitter for JVC projectors that emits IR is on a cable...and a long one too! The RF emitter is a tiny thing that plugs into the back of the projector and has no visible window or cable.

It sounds like you bought IR glasses for an RF emitter which of course won't work?

Fraggle helped me figure this out I think. I bought the JVC RF emmiter. I already had the Samsung SSG5100GB for a plasma (which is an RF). I couldn't get them to pair but was because of user error (I hope). I'll try again this weekend and provide updates.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 5100gb 3d Active Glasses , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Bg Bc100b 3d Rf Emitter Only , Xpand X105 Rf X1 Rechargeable 3d Rf Bluetooth Glasses
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page