How bad is digital keystone correction? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-04-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic PT-AE8000u that I'm setting up in my living room. Due to the room, it must be ceiling mounted. The PJ has a good amount of lens shift, but even with 100% lens shift, I'd still like the picture to be a few inches lower.

So I'm wondering just how bad it is for picture quality to use digital keystone correction (i.e. aim the projector lower and correct using keystone). I've heard that it is not ideal to use, but is that more of a theoretical thing where any sort of processing applied is by definition altering the image, or is it very significant and noticeable in use?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Might a drop pole on your mount that lowered the pj 6" resolve the issue?
post #3 of 3 Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac02 View Post

I have a Panasonic PT-AE8000u that I'm setting up in my living room. Due to the room, it must be ceiling mounted. The PJ has a good amount of lens shift, but even with 100% lens shift, I'd still like the picture to be a few inches lower.

So I'm wondering just how bad it is for picture quality to use digital keystone correction (i.e. aim the projector lower and correct using keystone). I've heard that it is not ideal to use, but is that more of a theoretical thing where any sort of processing applied is by definition altering the image, or is it very significant and noticeable in use?

Thanks.
I've never had to correct an image using keystone correction on a HT projector, but you would have to distort the digital image in doing so. I.e. if the full HD image was a 1920 by 1080 pixel rectangle, a keystone correction would have to digitally distort the image on the LCD panels (for example) so it was mapped to 1920 pixels wide at the top of the image and 1894 wide at the bottom- so the 'corrected' image would appear square after passing through the lens to the angled screen. It would have to make the image quality worse.

I think that using a drop pole to get the PJ in the range where the lens shift will function as intended is a much better idea ... smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread