CES 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Lots of very large 4k displays being announced. Wonder how many years it will take to bring them into the 3-7k range that is likely to sweet spot for projector purchases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Lots of very large 4k displays being announced. Wonder how many years it will take to bring them into the 3-7k range that is likely to sweet spot for projector purchases.

Lots? Who besides Panasonic? Or are you not referring to projectors? I didn't think CES started until tomorrow.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 587
It starts on Tuesday. Various press conferences tonight. The show floor opens 10AM PST. Supposedly 4K projector news coming from Panasonic and Epson, Obviously reports will start to trickle in and AVS readers should start to get on floor reports on Tuesday with indepth coming Tuesday evening but perhaps late on the East coast.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Mark did you watch the live Panasonic press conference today? they announced a new 4K hair dryer that you can use while watching your PJ and it will even moisturise your hair while giving U a blowjob... 😜
post #5 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Bergh View Post

Hi Mark did you watch the live Panasonic press conference today? they announced a new 4K hair dryer that you can use while watching your PJ and it will even moisturise your hair while giving U a blowjob... 😜

Apparently it also simultaneously sucks your bank account dry. Not a chance you'll notice though. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I got this email:
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2014, at 12:43 PM, Sony Electronics (Sony-Electronics@email.sel.sony.com) wrote:
Join us live for Sony's CES Conference, 5 p.m. PST
Don't miss our big product unveilings.
Watch the future UNFOLD.
See the Press Conference and Sony President Kazuo Hirai's CES keynote live.
January 6th, 5 p.m. PST and January 7th, 9 a.m. PST.
Watch live
Sony CES Press Conference | January 6, 5 p.m.
Exclusive behind-the-scenes action
View photo album
View the photo album with behind-the-scenes pics

#SonyCES
Join the conversation.
#SonyCES on Twitter #SonyCES on Instagram

To ensure delivery of emails from Sony, add Sony-Electronics@email.sel.sony.com to your Address Book.

Sony Electronics Inc. | Personal Information Management Office | 1 Sony Drive, MD 1E4 | Park Ridge, NJ 07656

© 2014 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.

post #7 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Lots? Who besides Panasonic? Or are you not referring to projectors? I didn't think CES started until tomorrow.

I was referring to flat panel displays. LG and Visio have both announced displays above 100 inches and I wonder how many years it will be until the price falls into the range of 3k-7k.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was referring to flat panel displays. LG and Visio have both announced displays above 100 inches and I wonder how many years it will be until the price falls into the range of 3k-7k.

For me, a rigid panel that large would be of no use. (especially when front projectors keep getting better and less costly)
post #9 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

For me, a rigid panel that large would be of no use. (especially when front projectors keep getting better and less costly)

I'm not sure I could get a 120" flat panel ( if I could afford one ) into my theater room - I'd imagine that would be a heavy beast !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #10 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

You mean you don't see any value in watching video or movies with ambient light in the room? For now projectors are the only way to a large and reasonably priced picture. Over time that will change, I wonder how long it will take. I am guessing 5-7 more years and you will see most installations going flat panel except for very large, say 120 and over screens. And as others point out, the weight will need to come down and the price.
post #11 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean you don't see any value in watching video or movies with ambient light in the room? For now projectors are the only way to a large and reasonably priced picture. Over time that will change, I wonder how long it will take. I am guessing 5-7 more years and you will see most installations going flat panel except for very large, say 120 and over screens. And as others point out, the weight will need to come down and the price.

The 105" scope screen in my dedicated HT is for mainly watching movies. The room is totally light controlled, however I can open the blackout drapes or turn on lighting if desired. (Rarely happens) If we are watching regular TV programming (and sometimes but seldom for movies) we have a 61" Samsung LED DLP that we use in that room. The scope screen is retractable and drops down in front of the DLP. I have a 60" Plasma in my office, and we have a 47" LCD in the family room. Those sizes are really the largest any room in my house can properly accommodate. I have no room, desire or need for anything gigantic in a fixed rigid panel. I doubt many people do. And how would you even get that into a lot of homes? Rear projection TV's of yesteryear were a major PITA in this regard, and that was one of their biggest downfalls.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:

You mean you don't see any value in watching video or movies with ambient light in the room?
honestly, not really. I think we're a lot closer to a 'cheap' version of a black diamond and extra bright projector. but even without, some care for room lighting and it's totally possible to watch a front projector in a room with 'comfortable' ambient lighting. I say comfortable, because I hate watching anything in a really bright room.
Quote:
For now projectors are the only way to a large and reasonably priced picture. Over time that will change, I wonder how long it will take. I am guessing 5-7 more years and you will see most installations going flat panel except for very large, say 120 and over screens. And as others point out, the weight will need to come down and the price.

but beyond that personal viewing taste, I think 100" + rigid screens would be 'useless' because they simply could not be installed inside your average home. I had to unbox my 64" plasma to get it into my theatre room. maybe they'll come up with an 'ikea version' that you can assemble once you've brought it into your room in smaller pieces... haha. but as it stands now, getting a large OLED into my theatre seems about as likely as me parking my car in the living room

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #13 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I'm not sure I could get a 120" flat panel ( if I could afford one ) into my theater room - I'd imagine that would be a heavy beast !

Yeah, I'm the same, I think I'd have to disassemble my screen if I need to take it out of my HT. And how fragile, how careful would you have to be with a 200lb+ flat panel that's 10' wide?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #14 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
post #15 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If it can throw that image from 1 inch back I'll buy one biggrin.gif

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #16 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would certainly replace my projector with a 100" TV if the price comes down below 10K. I would make a way to get it inside even.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Bit more here on the Sony Laser light sourced projector:

4K Ultra Short Throw Projector

Sony has developed a 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector featuring a furniture-like design. Utilizing space itself, it can be placed near most walls and has the ability to cast a 4K Ultra High-Definition image up to 147-inches, turning unused space into a display.

The new projector requires no special tools or construction to install and operate. Simply set it right next to a wall that would not yield any shadows of people into a screen, and plug it in to enjoy 4K Ultra HD images. Furthermore, it has the ability to display current video content services from IP, satellite or cable providers as well as 4K content sources including Video Unlimited 4K, Netflix and 4K content shot on Sony's expanding range of 4K Handycam camcorders.

The 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector will be available in the U.S. by summer of 2014 for approximately $30,000 to $40,000.

Moe Here: http://www.sony.net/Products/4k-ultra-short-throw/

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
The new projector requires no special tools or construction to install and operate. Simply set it right next to a wall that would not yield any shadows of people into a screen, and plug it in to enjoy 4K Ultra HD images. Furthermore, it has the ability to display current video content services from IP, satellite or cable providers as well as 4K content sources including Video Unlimited 4K, Netflix and 4K content shot on Sony's expanding range of 4K Handycam camcorders.

That is pretty cool ( if a bit on the spendy side ).

Quote:
I would certainly replace my projector with a 100" TV if the price comes down below 10K. I would make a way to get it inside even.

Still too small - I'd rather buy a bright 4K projector and go even larger than I have now !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #19 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post

4K Ultra Short Throw Projector

Sony has developed a 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector featuring a furniture-like design. Utilizing space itself, it can be placed near most walls and has the ability to cast a 4K Ultra High-Definition image up to 147-inches, turning unused space into a display.

The 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector will be available in the U.S. by summer of 2014 for approximately $30,000 to $40,000.

Moe Here: http://www.sony.net/Products/4k-ultra-short-throw/

The Advent VideoBeam 1000 for the 21st century...

post #20 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Seems like a further development of LG's "HECTO" short throw laser projector "TV" shown at CES a year ago.

Here is the Sony Life Space UX console broken down in its separate parts.

post #21 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post

Simply set it right next to a wall ...
I hope this thing is pretty safe to look into from close up. Kids seem to love to look into light sources and that unit looks like a kid magnet for that. Especially given that it seems to be marketed as something to leave on and unattended for long periods of time, as opposed to something like a current model projector on a coffee table where there is more likely to be an adult around while the thing is turned on.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #22 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I hope this thing is pretty safe to look into from close up. Kids seem to love to look into light sources and that unit looks like a kid magnet for that. Especially given that it seems to be marketed as something to leave on and unattended for long periods of time, as opposed to something like a current model projector on a coffee table where there is more likely to be an adult around while the thing is turned on.

--Darin

Very good point. Perhaps a safety cut out/light shutter could be implemented if not already done, using an ultrasonic pulse, not dissimilar to reversing devices on cars.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Ces 2014

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page