OLED FLAT PANEL TVS: How Big Do They Have To Get Before You'd Replace Your Projector? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 64 Old 01-21-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

FWIW, I used to have a Moto Razr and was worried about the size of a smartphone when I got my Thunderbolt, but surprisingly it did not bother me. My HTC One is even a bit longer than my 'bolt but slimmer and even less noticeable. For me the fact that they're thin and flat means that the (nicer) smartphones fit my pocket well and without bothering me. That said I think a Note is beyond my threshold, the One is about as big as I could run one handed.

yeah, I agree with that. being thing does help, but only to a point.

I had a similar issue twice before. first when going from my flip phone to the 'beyonce phone'(sorry, I don't remember the brand, but it had a screen on both sides, one for phone, one for media). the phone was larger, but thinner, and it seemed to work. second, going from that beyonce phone to my current xperia ray. the ray is quite a bit larger, but it's slightly thinner.

still, the iphone is THICK compared to both of these, slap a case on it and it's as thick as my old flip phone... to each their own of course, I'm still stuck on the theory that mobile technology should be getting smaller, not larger.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

Here are two YouTube videos that really show off the Vizio120” LCD-LED ULTRA-HDTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQgflpFqoOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23mLIy-OQ6E

The sound bar is detachable. It is wall mountable.

I want one, minus the sound bar.

What will the price be? If they could sell them for 20k, they would sell lots of them. At 40k to 150k they will sell a few.

the one things I'm starting to notice with these ultra large TV's is that they seem to dominate the room more than a projection screen does. that is, the rooms I've seen this tv displayed in are HUGE compared to my theatre room, yet I don't find the 120" screen in my room overpowering at all.

I'm starting to wonder if, at any size, a tv would replace my projector unless I'm building the room around it. for a fully dedicated, custom built theatre, it probably won't matter. but for a 'media room' setting, where you'd think a direct display would be most useful, a projector and screen blends in, and hides better than a huge tv. I could be wrong, I just haven't seen one of these monster displays in a room where it's nearly wall to wall, floor to ceiling like some projection screens are

post #63 of 64 Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

the one things I'm starting to notice with these ultra large TV's is that they seem to dominate the room more than a projection screen does. that is, the rooms I've seen this tv displayed in are HUGE compared to my theatre room, yet I don't find the 120" screen in my room overpowering at all.

I'm starting to wonder if, at any size, a tv would replace my projector unless I'm building the room around it. for a fully dedicated, custom built theatre, it probably won't matter. but for a 'media room' setting, where you'd think a direct display would be most useful, a projector and screen blends in, and hides better than a huge tv. I could be wrong, I just haven't seen one of these monster displays in a room where it's nearly wall to wall, floor to ceiling like some projection screens are

Yeah, they do tend to look imposing and monolithic,

Still, with the right sense of aesthetics and design, I'm sure they could be incorporated into a room nicely. Just have to do a bit of design/build-work around them.
post #64 of 64 Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yeah, they do tend to look imposing and monolithic,

Still, with the right sense of aesthetics and design, I'm sure they could be incorporated into a room nicely. Just have to do a bit of design/build-work around them.

not saying it can't be done. just saying there's still going to be a significant number of rooms where a large tv won't look 'right'. for example, I have a roll down screen that blocks half a doorway(to a seldom used storage area). the screen works because it's easy to move out of the way, a tv would not. I'm guessing there will be a lot of rooms where a 100" tv would be about as big as you could put without making it a 'theatre' only, but a 120" projection screen would fit in just fine. on the other hand, it just change the way we design media rooms

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page