OLED FLAT PANEL TVS: How Big Do They Have To Get Before You'd Replace Your Projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Title says it all really.

We now have a display technology, OLED, that can provide pure black levels/infinite contrast, and all the goodies that come with that, not to mention ANSI contrast that projectors can't even dream about.
Putting aside practical issues for the moment, including whether OLED ever produces huge panels in affordable sizes etc, let's just presume that the OLED you'd purchase would be around the price you've been
willing to pay for a premium projector.

Clearly we all value a large image here.

So how BIG would an OLED flat screen have to get to finally tempt you into replacing your projected image (if ever)?

I'm still not sure myself, and in a way I should have a better idea than most, since I vary my image size all the time. Sometimes I watch, say, a 16:9 or 1:85:1 image at between 98 inches diag to 102" diag, because I enjoy the extra density, contrast, richness and "punch" at those sizes in my set up, even though I can also watch at up to 136" or so 16:9 images. But would I be willing to give up those larger image sizes for, say, a 90" OLED?
It's even tougher when you live with a CIH system (or one like mine that can do CIH as necessary) because then you are used to seeing CinemaScope content at very large widths - far larger than any likely OLED will ever reach for goodness knows how long. Could I give that up? Off the top of my head, it doesn't seem like I could.

If I stuck strictly with 16:9/1:85:1 images, I suspect an optimal "I can easily live with this size" would be a 110" diag 16:9 OLED screen. I can imagine that going down to 105" as a big stretch (might still be able to enjoy scope films on it), and 102" or so if I only tended to watch 16:9/1:85:1 type content. Below 100" I think I start to give up too much of what I'm used to in terms of image size and immersion in my room.

That said, I can see some other people saying "I'd get rid of my 110" projector image for a 90" OLED image," because, c'mon, a 90" OLED image (presuming 4K so no pixel grid) would be a pretty flabbergasting experience.

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Interesting question Rich and I am curious to read members responses. For me with my CIH setup, I run out of height before width in my room as far as my workable screen wall and because of this, to even consider going with an OLED (assuming they were ever big and cheap enough) I would need a 2.35 version which is not likely. Even if they had a 2.35 version, I would not want to go any smaller than what I am used to for screen size which means 9' wide. I doubt I could even get a 9' wide flat panel down into my basement. I will be sticking with FP in light of all this I am sure. smile.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Title says it all really.

We now have a display technology, OLED, that can provide pure black levels/infinite contrast, and all the goodies that come with that, not to mention ANSI contrast that projectors can't even dream about.
Putting aside practical issues for the moment, including whether OLED ever produces huge panels in affordable sizes etc, let's just presume that the OLED you'd purchase would be around the price you've been
willing to pay for a premium projector.

Clearly we all value a large image here.

So how BIG would an OLED flat screen have to get to finally tempt you into replacing your projected image (if ever)?

I'm still not sure myself, and in a way I should have a better idea than most, since I vary my image size all the time. Sometimes I watch, say, a 16:9 or 1:85:1 image at between 98 inches diag to 102" diag, because I enjoy the extra density, contrast, richness and "punch" at those sizes in my set up, even though I can also watch at up to 136" or so 16:9 images. But would I be willing to give up those larger image sizes for, say, a 90" OLED?
It's even tougher when you live with a CIH system (or one like mine that can do CIH as necessary) because then you are used to seeing CinemaScope content at very large widths - far larger than any likely OLED will ever reach for goodness knows how long. Could I give that up? Off the top of my head, it doesn't seem like I could.

If I stuck strictly with 16:9/1:85:1 images, I suspect an optimal "I can easily live with this size" would be a 110" diag 16:9 OLED screen. I can imagine that going down to 105" as a big stretch (might still be able to enjoy scope films on it), and 102" or so if I only tended to watch 16:9/1:85:1 type content. Below 100" I think I start to give up too much of what I'm used to in terms of image size and immersion in my room.

That said, I can see some other people saying "I'd get rid of my 110" projector image for a 90" OLED image," because, c'mon, a 90" OLED image (presuming 4K so no pixel grid) would be a pretty flabbergasting experience.

Your thoughts?

I guess you also have to bring cost into the equation. Also a 90" diagonal 16:9 screen provides a pretty small 2.35 image.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #4 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
My guess is that new and improved large LCD TVs will be affordable long before OLED TVs will hit the same price, size and quality.

Both LG and Samsung are showing curved 105" - 21:9 TVs at CES at the moment.
That is the same screen hight as a 85" - 16:9 TV and has 5120 x 2160 ~ 5K resolution, so CIH is taken care of.

The LG is said to be costing $70K, but I am shure they will fast lower their price, and maby make flat ones?

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Or maybe the 120" 16:9 TV that Vizio shows in their reference series this year will be more to taste?

All of these companies and many more have signed up to the new increased Dolby color, brightness and contrast technology.
This might be one of the more promising image improvement technologies that has come in recent years and should also work for projectors if the projectors has the right processing equipment.

http://blog.dolby.com/2013/12/tv-missing-colors/

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5276934/dolby-vision-the-future-of-tv-is-really-really-bright

But maybe one will not through out the projector before something in this size becomes "affordable"?

pgwalsh likes this.
post #5 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Lets see-My first front projection setup that's now 3 years old. 2.35 Seymour AV CenterStage XD retractable 105" wide (114.1" diagonal) and a Mitsubishi HC4000 projector. Cost for both right at $3500 and still looks very good today. I'd say this is way in the future if at all for me.wink.gif
post #6 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Rich, Will these large OLED screens be rigid flat-panel types, or will they be like the screen material of our present screens that we can just roll out and mount on a frame? If the former, then the above comments about getting such a large flat-panel type unit into ones house begins to be impractical, independent of cost.
post #7 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I was trying to get past practical issues about when such panels will become available (if ever) and the getting-them-into-the-house issues. It's more about a comparison of the type of image quality a large OLED flat panel should
be capable of, vs our projectors. Hence the question really boils down to: what type of image size compromises are we willing to make to get OLED-quality images vs the ones we have now from our front projectors?
(And of course someone's preference for the "look" of a projected image could figure into the answers as well).
post #8 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The day they manage to print OLED on Plastic so they can roll-up for easy transport (and be reasonable priced), big and huge screens might be the death of projection, both in Cinemas and in homes.

Kateeva is the first to announce they have solved the OLED printing technology, but for the time being is only able to do it on rigid glass back-panes.
Printing on plastic can't be to far ahead because OLED is already done on flexible plastics and Roll to Roll Thin Film Electronics printing is far ahead of OLED printing. Corning will also soon release "flexible glass".

Just after Kateeva announced their technology, Sony and Panasonic that was in partnership to solve the OLED printing problems announced they dissolved their partnership.
post #9 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:

I was trying to get past practical issues about when such panels will become available (if ever) and the getting-them-into-the-house issues. It's more about a comparison of the type of image quality a large OLED flat panel should
be capable of, vs our projectors. Hence the question really boils down to: what type of image size compromises are we willing to make to get OLED-quality images vs the ones we have now from our front projectors?
(And of course someone's preference for the "look" of a projected image could figure into the answers as well).

In that case, I am not willing to give up ANY size for OLED. I wish I could go bigger as it is!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #10 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I wouldn't go any smaller than my 128" x 62" screen, and it would have to be rollup.

Not expecting anything like that that I could afford for 10 - 15 yr.

Noah
post #11 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With projectors as good as they are nowadays, I don't think I would be willing to give up much at all size-wise; I'm just too hooked on the big screen immersive effect! However if these roll out, plastic OLED screens become available (and are affordable), I would certainly prefer having an 'active' screen with OLED's positive attributes, compared to the 'passive' screen of front projection. (Worrying about ambient light would be a thing of the past.)
post #12 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 50
A panel would need to be sized very closely and priced comparably to our 130" scope screen setup before it would be considered. I could see stretching price some to get the performance you mention. Probably a max of around $4k would be all we could swallow.

The practicality is a factor. I know we're talking about a "what if" scenario. But like others getting such a screen into our house would be tricky at best. Honestly I am more excited at the idea of 21:9 panel projectors and a light source that lasts for the life of the unit. Performance of even our low end JVC is to the point where we are very satisfied. It's hard to say when a 10' wide 21:9 OLED panel will be feasible to mass produce, but I'm sure it will at some point. Affordability would follow in a few years. Probably not in my next upgrade cycle (~6 years). Perhaps the one after that. Even then I wonder how I would get it into the house, how much power it would consume vs. the projectors of the time, and how flexible placement would be.

post #13 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think there's an elegance and realism to reflected light as compared to emissive light or modulated light from a backlight. Faces don't emit light. Most surfaces don't emit light.

I rather hope that projectors are around (and being actively developed and improved) for years to come. Assuming projectors will also improve in between now and when OLED reaches a point at which it's price competitive at huge sizes, I'm still not sure I'd switch. Also, I still think it will take a while before OLED becomes reasonably affordable at 80" or more. We also don't know whether the phosphor aging problems have been sorted out yet (and won't truly know for a few years).
post #14 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

I think there's an elegance and realism to reflected light as compared to emissive light or modulated light from a backlight. Faces don't emit light. Most surfaces don't emit light.

I rather hope that projectors are around (and being actively developed and improved) for years to come. Assuming projectors will also improve in between now and when OLED reaches a point at which it's price competitive at huge sizes, I'm still not sure I'd switch. Also, I still think it will take a while before OLED becomes reasonably affordable at 80" or more. We also don't know whether the phosphor aging problems have been sorted out yet (and won't truly know for a few years).

Good points, Noah, but I have to admit that I was mightily impressed standing in front of a 103" (or larger, can't remember) Panasonic 4K plasma a couple of years ago. (Of course it did weight somethings like 600 lbs and drew who knows how much power.) So I think high quality emissive displays can be very lifelike; i.e., the Kuro plasma was considered the benchmark up until recently.
post #15 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279

I don't think I will ever be able to afford let alone see a 10 feet wide screen in 2:35 OLED 4K! I wished I could maybe if I am still around in 30 years :)

post #16 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I don't think I will ever be able to afford let alone see a 10 feet wide screen in 2:35 OLED 4K! I wished I could maybe if I am still around in 30 years smile.gif

I think I agree that it will be quite some time. And at 73 I doubt, too, that I will see it!
post #17 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

That sounds like it makes sense but I don't think there's anything intrinsically different between reflected and emitted photons.

Noah
post #18 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
If they are made with the life expectancy of current TV's then then need to get as cheap or cheaper than front projection. Right now I just have to worry about replacing a projector, the screen stays. With this technology, you have to replace everything.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #19 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And we not only have OLED in increasing sizes (potentially) to compete with projection: we now have even Vizio jumping on the High Dynamic Range bandwagon. That's a type of technology for dramatically increasing contrast
that as far as I can see, no projection technology can even approach, even in principle.

I love projection and plan to stay with it for a long time. But, aside from resolution, it seems like all the major image quality innovations, especially in terms of contrast, are going to be happening in flat panels.
post #20 of 64 Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Good points, Noah, but I have to admit that I was mightily impressed standing in front of a 103" (or larger, can't remember) Panasonic 4K plasma a couple of years ago. (Of course it did weight somethings like 600 lbs and drew who knows how much power.) So I think high quality emissive displays can be very lifelike; i.e., the Kuro plasma was considered the benchmark up until recently.
I've never seen a really big plasma (or similar quality emissive display), so I have no point of reference on that. I have a 50" Kuro and wouldn't mind a 103" one, certainly. It remains the best display in the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

That sounds like it makes sense but I don't think there's anything intrinsically different between reflected and emitted photons.
You may be right. I don't know enough about physics or human vision to explain the exact differences (if any) as we would perceive them. Is diffuse reflection equivalent to diffuse emission to the eye? I'm not sure. It's possible that the qualities I attribute to front projection may simply be an appreciation for a huge screen, regardless of the technology.
post #21 of 64 Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 559
here's where I'm stuck. any OLED screen large enough to replace my projector, could not fit into my home. it would not fit through the door, it would certainly not fit through my stairs, and there's no way it would fit coming around the corner at the bottom of my staircase. I had to unbox a 64" plasma to make that journey.

so the question of how big would be big enough is completely moot unless they can figure out a way to roll up, or fold the screen to make it 'portable'.

a 70-80" screen will never replace my projector, and even that size may require some slightly remodelling. to fit something 110-120"(how big it would need to be for me to consider replacing my projector), would probably cost me 10's of thousands of dollars in construction work, and would never leave the room it was installed in. for somebody that likes to upgrade, and moves things 'down the chain' none of that is appealing in any way to me.

so, what I need for OLED to replace front projection:
-min 110", preferably much larger
-rollable/foldable screens
-major price reductions. I'd want the OLED to be on par or cheaper than the projector(which I still consider WAY more versatile)

realistically, oled is going to replace my bedroom TV's, maybe the living room tv, if they get cheap enough, some other auxillary displays as well. I just don't see it being practical for any direct view type display to make it's way into my home theatre again. not unless projector/screen advancements stagnate completely and oled makes good on everything it promised and maybe more.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #22 of 64 Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if that's the question, pretty darn close(i'll say 100" currently, but at some point I was planning to go larger, and 110-120" may be what I 'need' in a few years). I am in no way disappointed with the image quality of projectors currently on the market. I wouldn't mind something a little blacker(until black is really black, I will always say this}, but as of right now I have zero desire for a brighter image, or one that's better suited for ambient light conditions. the truth is, for ME, I hate watching anything in ambient light. as I type this, I'm sitting in complete darkness except the glow of the f8500 plasma I'm using. and I've got the cell light of that at 50% so as not to be 'uncomfortably bright'.

I assume OLED will have blacker blacks, and that's why I would accept a smaller screen. I've always said quality over quantity. but in other aspects of picture quality, I don't feel like I'm really lacking anything. actually, I need to buy a new screen, because I'm tired of seeing the texture on my cheap one.

I think what could be interesting though, is the race between affordable OLED and high performing LED/Laser projection. the issue of bulb life is really the only 'problem' I have with current home theatre projectors. my current plan is a dual projector setup(with one being led/laser based). but I suppose a 110" OLED, or led/laser projector with good picture quality could replace that(if similarly priced of course)

post #23 of 64 Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And we not only have OLED in increasing sizes (potentially) to compete with projection: we now have even Vizio jumping on the High Dynamic Range bandwagon. That's a type of technology for dramatically increasing contrast
that as far as I can see, no projection technology can even approach, even in principle.

I love projection and plan to stay with it for a long time. But, aside from resolution, it seems like all the major image quality innovations, especially in terms of contrast, are going to be happening in flat panels.

the HDR, if I like it, would probably be something that could potentially make me switch if physically possible.

I haven't seen anything I want to change about projection, but I haven't seen HDR yet...

that whole glasses free 3D could be another one that some ppl would switch for. I can't see 3D so that wouldn't affect me at all.

all else being equal, I do seem to prefer front projection. for whatever reason it just seems nicer to watch

post #24 of 64 Old 01-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm surrprised that no one has talked about this.
I'm guessing most of the AVS HT set ups involve viewing a 100"+ diag. screen from 15-20 feet. (Ours is 110" 16x9 from 17 feet). We are all "locked in " to these dimensions by the PJ throw requirements. However, if you make the viewing distance shorter, you can get a very immersive experience from a smaller screen. We have a 65" Panasonic VT series plasma that we view from 10 feet. It is easily the best picture I have seen. If I could get that quality on a 90" screen viewed from 10 feet, I would probably be satisfied. Plus, it would allow for many more rooms to work for a HT set up. When we were shopping for a house, it was a big deal to find one with the necessary dimensions and light control for a front projector...
My $.02.
post #25 of 64 Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 308
For me, it would need to be 10 ft wide and in 4K. However, my present screen is only 8 ft wide and is viewed from 12.5 ft in 4K. Projectors will indeed disappear in the next ten years except for the occult.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #26 of 64 Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

For me, it would need to be 10 ft wide and in 4K. However, my present screen is only 8 ft wide and is viewed from 12.5 ft in 4K. Projectors will indeed disappear in the next ten years except for the occult.

As long as we are dreaming, why not ask for full time 3D without glasses...smile.gif
post #27 of 64 Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Today I happened upon the LG 55" OLED display at a local Future Shop store, playing it's standard demo of bright objects against dark backgrounds, as well as some night cityscapes from Vancouver.

I've seen OLED before at a Toronto AV show, but it was fun to see it again.

The feeling I had was "so..there it is! Perfect, pitch, black...along with bright looking objects against that perfect black backgrounds. That's what it looks like!" Sort of the Holy Grail in a way: virtually the first display I've ever seen where blacks looked "perfect" and it's like there is nothing left wanting in that area. It's almost weird to actually see.

And it's amazing what that brought to the image particularly in some of the city night shots. The pure black gave such realistic solidity to everything - the buildings, lights, streets, water etc. The black looked like a night sky that you could peer into forever.

I still would not give up the image size I use for home theater for a panel that big. But boy oh boy does OLED ever stand as an example of how "we sure aren't there yet" for projector contrast/black levels. Which is why I can't help get excited, and hopeful, any time an upgrade might promise even somewhat better black levels/contrast.
post #28 of 64 Old 01-15-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
I still would not give up the image size I use for home theater for a panel that big. But boy oh boy does OLED ever stand as an example of how "we sure aren't there yet" for projector contrast/black levels. Which is why I can't help get excited, and hopeful, any time an upgrade might promise even somewhat better black levels/contrast.

Give me one in 150" diagonal for under 30K and I'll scrap the projector. Maybe.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #29 of 64 Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But boy oh boy does OLED ever stand as an example of how "we sure aren't there yet" for projector contrast/black levels. Which is why I can't help get excited, and hopeful, any time an upgrade might promise even somewhat better black levels/contrast.

Sounds like our new JVC's will be a big step in that direction (mine's still in the box).

Noah
post #30 of 64 Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Sounds like our new JVC's will be a big step in that direction (mine's still in the box).

What's it doing still in the box? Watch something Noah !! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page