JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 635 Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Noah. I am probably more computer ignorant than you are and that is scary. smile.gif

But do you think the JVC instructions should state, turn your computer on, if nothing happens, check to see if you have it plugged into a live outlet. My wife needs instructions like this to get the TV panel to work at a beach house we frequently use. really.

JVC says you can do the firmware upgrade yourself if you have some basic computer skills and knowledge. True. A lot of folks who use their lap tops as a google machine and for emails might not know about com ports and how they need to be used. And in hind sight, I am sure JVC would have put in make sure com port instructions to make the procedure more idiot proof for idiots like you and me. smile.gif But thank god we have the forum and others will post steps you might need to do that aren't in the instructions. There aren't that many.

They could have listed more USB to serial converters that would work and to high light that such converters also need a null modem cable added to send to the right pins on the JVC connector. Also they should have highlighted that the JVC connector is male and so is the connector on the converter so a female to female null modem cable is required.

This failure caused more problems than leaving out the check the com port configurations for computer idiots like me. But I learned this long ago when I couldn't get something else I was doing to work. Its still Greek but I know what to do if someone prompts me to remember.

krichter1 likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 635 Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Here are the exact components I ordered and used:

Null modem cable

USB-to-RS232 serial adapter

Both of these parts have been tested and WILL WORK.

In fact, if you order the USB-to-serial adapter, you can download the drivers (XP here, Windows 7/Windows 8 here, Windows 8.1 here) and install them before the adapter even arrives. Then, once you get it, you can just plug the adapter into one of your USB ports and it should work (after you change the baud rate as I described above).

Schwa -- thank you very much for taking the time to help others with this firmware update procedure. I ordered the products you linked to, used the drivers you identified, and even took advantage of your tip to determine the correct COM port. You made this process much easier for me and I really appreciate it. smile.gif
post #273 of 635 Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNBRN View Post

Schwa -- thank you very much for taking the time to help others with this firmware update procedure. I ordered the products you linked to, used the drivers you identified, and even took advantage of your tip to determine the correct COM port. You made this process much easier for me and I really appreciate it. smile.gif
Cool, glad I could help!

Interestingly enough, I got one of the weird triple-split-screen anomalies today when changing resolutions -- even after installing the update. The left of the screen had the proper 1080p60 image, but it was shaky and squished, the middle of the screen was a pink block, and the right of the screen was a green block. When I changed the resolution to 1080p24, the left 2/3 of the screen showed the shaky 1080p24 image and the right of the screen was a colored block. I turned the projector off and back on the with the remote and the issue hasn't recurred.

Of course, it's possible the problem was with my source, my receiver, my wireless HDMI system, or something else, so I wish I would've tried power-cycling those devices and/or switching to an unused input on my projector before I powered the projector down. Oh well; if it happens again I'll try some other stuff before shutting off the projector.

All that said, and given the speed of the JVC's firmware update release, I have a funny feeling we still haven't exorcised all of our HDMI demons. It's definitely improved though; I switched several discs over ~6 hours of viewing this evening and only had the one issue pop up.
post #274 of 635 Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Cool, glad I could help!

Interestingly enough, I got one of the weird triple-split-screen anomalies today when changing resolutions -- even after installing the update. The left of the screen had the proper 1080p60 image, but it was shaky and squished, the middle of the screen was a pink block, and the right of the screen was a green block. When I changed the resolution to 1080p24, the left 2/3 of the screen showed the shaky 1080p24 image and the right of the screen was a colored block. I turned the projector off and back on the with the remote and the issue hasn't recurred.

Of course, it's possible the problem was with my source, my receiver, my wireless HDMI system, or something else, so I wish I would've tried power-cycling those devices and/or switching to an unused input on my projector before I powered the projector down. Oh well; if it happens again I'll try some other stuff before shutting off the projector.

All that said, and given the speed of the JVC's firmware update release, I have a funny feeling we still haven't exorcised all of our HDMI demons. It's definitely improved though; I switched several discs over ~6 hours of viewing this evening and only had the one issue pop up.

Which wireless HDMI system are you using?
post #275 of 635 Old 01-19-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Which wireless HDMI system are you using?
This one. I never had a single problem with it with my 4810, but handshakes are certainly taking a little longer than they used to, and I also have a Darblet in the loop now. It's funny to watch my receiver, Darblet, and Iogear device all try to negotiate a new handshake whenever the resolution changes -- front panel lights blinking and flashing galore!
post #276 of 635 Old 01-19-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 266
The Darblet is kind of an a**hole. I've used it with probably half of the projectors I've owned (about 15) and about half of those projectors didn't like it. I had handshake issues left and right and sometimes I simply couldn't get an image to pass to the projector. It doesn't like my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver either.
post #277 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

The Darblet is kind of an a**hole. I've used it with probably half of the projectors I've owned (about 15) and about half of those projectors didn't like it. I had handshake issues left and right and sometimes I simply couldn't get an image to pass to the projector. It doesn't like my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver either.

Yep. My Darblet introduced handshake issues that still bedevil my system, mostly audio drop outs. It's one reason I bought a Lumagen with Darbee processing, to help get rid of that Darbee box and extra wiring in my chain.
post #278 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

About two years ago I tried a Darblet on my TV and Marantz VP-12S4 projector that I had in my family room setup. It worked without any issues and I even had a splitter in the loop. The AVR in that setup is an Onkyo TX-SR805. You were probably pushing 1080P through your system and since my projector at that time was 720P in the family room, I was only pushing 720P. So it may have been because of the higher bandwidth and not hand shake issues.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #279 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After about 10 hours with the new firmware on my X700, I have to report 2 problems:

1. During 3D viewing I got a total freeze of the unit while browsing on PJs menus (not changing input / signal - just increasing contrast or something like that)

Remote / PJ buttons not responding and I had to disconnect power to reset the PJ.

2. The 3rd time the PJ powered on, a very strange and irritating noise was coming out of the unit (nothing to do with high lamp mode or cover btw).

It was the typical noise which the iris does when it opens / closes but it was continuous (like the iris was trying to open / close remaining in an endless loop).

I didn't try an HDMI signal at that time to see if / how the iris was performing because I was worried about the strange sound.

I got sure that it was the iris when I performed an image reset (main menu) and the noise stopped (obviously because image reset also resets iris to fully open thus resolving the malfunction).

After that, in the next couple of days, the PJ was turned off / on about 4-5 times without any problem.

I cannot be sure is this is a hardware of firmware problem but I suspect the latter because if for example the iris motor was jammed the reset command from the reset image would not had any effect.

Anyone had similar experiences?
post #280 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 07:52 AM

Liked: 14
I haven't had any more picture lockups after updating the firmware, but I did have an instance last night where I went to turn on the projector and it wouldn't turn on via the button on the projector or the remote. I unplugged it for 3 seconds and plugged it back in and it responded just fine. It could be an isolated incident, but maybe not. That never happened once during the first 60 hours, just after the update done a few days ago.

Has anyone else had this happen (power on not responding) on the latest firmware?
post #281 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Nothing like that for me either, using both a Lumagen Mini & Darblet (Denon5308ci=>3ft 4K Monoprice=>LuMini=>3ft 4K Monoprice=>Darblet=>25ft 4K Monoprice=>RS57).

The switching tests show a 5sec delay on avg. and almost always a pink/magenta screen flash before the new rez acceptance on the 57 (works but looks a bit unprofessional for a high end PJ IMO!).

I will remove the Darbee out of the chain this week and retest with just the "LuMini". smile.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #282 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Nothing like that for me either, using both a Lumagen Mini & Darblet (Denon5308ci=>3ft 4K Monoprice=>LuMini=>3ft 4K Monoprice=>Darblet=>25ft 4K Monoprice=>RS57).

The switching tests show a 5sec delay on avg. and almost always a pink/magenta screen flash before the new rez acceptance on the 57 (works but looks a bit unprofessional for a high end PJ IMO!).

I will remove the Darbee out of the chain this week and retest with just the "LuMini". smile.gif

In my setup, the Darbee appears to cause the magenta flash. However, I'm disappointed that my RS67 is as slow as my RS35. I know that HDMI tends to be slow, but ideally that time should be measured in milliseconds (not seconds).

--Larry

PS, Updated mine yesterday. Couldn't get it to work using a MacbookAir via Parallels and Windows 8.1 (using the JVC tested cables). Worked OK using an old windows 7 laptop, though.
post #283 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

How does your RS67 compare to your RS35 in other areas?
post #284 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

OK thanks for the tip but IMO they're making a bad if not outright dumb (i.e. how could they not know better) assumption.

I updated my X700 this last weekend w/o a hitch. I used the JVC recommended USB to RS232 adapter and null modem cable. I thought the instructions were quite complete and had no problems with them. But then, I've been working on computers since 1965 and have had lots of RS232 experience (and more USB experience than I care for...an overly complex interface designed by too many engineers). I suspect the actual culprit here though (that makes it picky regarding which adapter one uses) is the software used. Especially the Flash Magic program used in the first download step. It seems to be an incredibly flexible tool that only an engineer could love. eek.gif
krichter1 and Craig Peer like this.
post #285 of 635 Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got another resolution switching glitch today; this time it was a full, solid green screen. The projector reported a solid 1080p60 input in the top right corner of the image though and the menus all worked properly. So, instead of rebooting the pj, I switched off my wireless HDMI device, switched it back on again, let all the HDMI folks shake hands and get reacquainted, and voila, the image appeared properly. So it's likely that yesterday's glitch wasn't the projector's fault after all.
post #286 of 635 Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Received my recommended cables today and performed the update. No issues and straight forward. I then set my OPPO to output 24p and played a disc, then switched to 60p TV and no lock up. biggrin.gif

James Reid:D
post #287 of 635 Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm suppose to receive my cables from Amazon Saturday. Still working on my cantilever projector mount in the back of my room and won't have that ready until Sunday or Monday anyway. Should all work out. smile.gif
post #288 of 635 Old 01-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Liked: 24
I can't seem to get the COM port working. I only have one COM port available under device manager, that is COM 3 called Intel Active Management Technology Serial Over Lan (SOL). I guess that's my docking station's RS232 port but I have no idea really.

I get a "Operation Failed.(failed to autobaud)" error. has anyone had this?
post #289 of 635 Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

I can't seem to get the COM port working. I only have one COM port available under device manager, that is COM 3 called Intel Active Management Technology Serial Over Lan (SOL). I guess that's my docking station's RS232 port but I have no idea really.

Here is the cables I used, it is the one JVC used .

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390343174&sr=1-2&keywords=tripp+lite+serial+cable
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Modem-Cable-P450-006/dp/B000067SCH/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390343271&sr=1-1&keywords=tripp+lite+null+modem+cable

James Reid:D
post #290 of 635 Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

Please state more specifically as you've seen in a lot of earlier posts, how your doing the update (laptop specs, cable types/brand etc…).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #291 of 635 Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

i am looking to buy one of the 67 in the near future Ihope JVC does the update for me......
post #292 of 635 Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Please state more specifically as you've seen in a lot of earlier posts, how your doing the update (laptop specs, cable types/brand etc…).

I'm using a Lenovo T400 laptop with the a mini docking station, the RS232 is on the mini docking station, I'm pretty sure that's what the Intel Serial-Over-Lan is on my device manager.

For a cable I am using just a generic null modem cable, nothing fancy.

I was sure it will work because everyone with a built in rs232 port didn't seem to have a problem so far.
post #293 of 635 Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you Schwa for posting what cables DID work instead of what should work. I buy enough from Amazon and Monoprice without paying for a bunch of cables I can't use. Also, as a computer non-nerd I need all the help I can get. Now let me see if I can find this COM port people are posting about.
post #294 of 635 Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I just updated my RS57 firmware using the following items:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0000VYJRY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00006B8BJ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything went fine, the only thing I had to do that was not clearly stated in the JVC instructions was to download and install the driver for the adapter. Without the driver (on windows 8) I was unable to communicate with the projector and windows device mangager was not showing me the port the adapter was using.

Stef
post #295 of 635 Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 PM

Tonight my updated JVC had an all too familiar HDMI issue after days of working correctly. I was able to correct the problem by unplugging the power.

This JVC was flashed the day the update became available.
post #296 of 635 Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 PM

My updated X700 also had HDMI issue (blue screen, "no input") after working fine for a few days. Reminds me of the HDMI problem my X3 had when new, before it had its firmware update. Unplugging/reconnecting power to X700 has fixed it again. Holding my breath a little now each time I turn it on...
post #297 of 635 Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 353
post #298 of 635 Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canelli View Post

Tonight my updated JVC had an all too familiar HDMI issue after days of working correctly. I was able to correct the problem by unplugging the power.

This JVC was flashed the day the update became available.

OK,I'm a long time forum reader, first time poster (thanks to all for educating me along the way)!

Yesterday, despite breaking out in a sweat after reading about all the HDMI issues on here, I upgraded my RS65 to a 6710 WITH the updated firmware. So far, except for the one DirecTV issue described below, switching between my Marantz, Toshiba, and PS3 sources 2D and 3D has been no problem as long as - and I know this sounds bizarre - I use JVC's HDMI 2 instead of HDMI 1! To explain, when I first powered up using HDMI 1 and switched between resources, I was able to eventually recreate a "blue screen" when switching to/from the PS3 but that issue went away (and has not returned) after I moved my projector's balun feed to JVC's HDMI 2. I never had to power anything down. I'm curious if anyone still having switching issues has better luck using JVC's HDMI 2. (Of course it should not make any diff but if mine continues to function properly, I'm thinking that part of this issue might be HDMI 1 itself. BTW, I turned off all video processing / scaling settings from my Marantz and have no other video processors inline. I watched some 3D content last night and WOW, what a major improvement in clarity and color...no ghosting! On DirecTV, if I project 3D net and then another 2D channel (1080i or 720p) , the JVC is unable to immediately switch from SBS 3D to 2D mode until I select another 2D channel on DirectTV. The JVC then "corrects" itself...so I still have some handshaking issue between the DirecTV receiver and the JVC, but I'm also upgrading DirecTV next Tuesday so we'll see if the latest receiver does the same thing.

Thanks again guys for all of your helpful advice on here!

MY THEATER:
JVC DLA-RS 6710
120" DNP Supernova screen
Marantz 8801 in 9.2
Marantz PM6004 Amp
Parasound 5250 Amp
JBL BassQ Room Processor
Dynaudio Focus Series
2 Sunfire 12" 1,000 watt Subs
Marantz UD 5007 BluRay
Samsung BD D6700 BluRay
Sony PS3
Toshiba HD-XA2K
DirectTV
Lutron GrafikEye
post #299 of 635 Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Greetings,

On an unrelated note to the typical HDMI issues being discussed, I cannot get a picture from my old Sony CX995v DVD jukebox on the 4910. When I switch to the Sony all I get is a black screen via HDMI. This is going through my Marantz AVP to the projector. This setup has worked with no issue over the various AVPs and projectors I have used over the years in including most recently the RS55.

I tried various things like switching e-shift off and running an HDMI cable directly from the Sony to the projector with the same result. I am out of ideas and have decided for now to run a component video cable to the Marantz and have it convert/scale to the JVC.

The connection from my Sony 960 Blu-ray jukebox works fine. Not sure what the problem is and although I don't use the DVD jukebox all that often I can't imagine what the issue could be.

Thoughts anyone? confused.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #300 of 635 Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Interesting; did you try the same sequence but starting on HDMI 2?

So maybe all people have needed to do is switch to the different HDMI input - much better than pulling the plug which deprives the pj of the lamp cooldown period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaros View Post

To explain, when I first powered up using HDMI 1 and switched between resources, I was able to eventually recreate a "blue screen" when switching to/from the PS3 but that issue went away (and has not returned) after I moved my projector's balun feed to JVC's HDMI 2. I never had to power anything down.

Noah
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X700r , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla Rs66
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page