JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 604 Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

Just wondering if anyone else is having this strange issue I got and if the firmware addresses it , i get the hdmi handshaking issue but that's easily fixed by not turning on he receiver till the JVC is fully powered, the issue which concerns me more is occasionally my projector shows a break up of the picture (like a quick flash of some of the picture information) followed by a strip on the right 5% of the picture actually showing the left 5% picture. (see pics)

Projector2issue.jpg 242k .jpg file

Greetings,

It occasionally happens with my 4910 as well. I can clear it by simply switching inputs on my AV Processor which forces a HDMI handshake. I have never had to recycle the power on the projector to rectify this. This problem was present with the original FW and persists with the 1210 version. It only happens occasionally and since clearing it only requires forcing another handshake I have been living with it for now. Otherwise I have no issues with connectivity etc. so I haven't bothered to install the latest patch. I will monitor it and try the latest FW should the need arise.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 604 Old 04-04-2014, 05:38 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

What is your hdmi chain like? Any idea on what scenario tends to cause this to happen, or does it seem random?

Greetings,

In my case it seems completely random. Sometimes it is preceded by the screen blanking momentarily (meaning an intermittent blank while watching something). I have gotten to the point that when I see that occur I pause whatever I am watching and force a handshake which heads it off at the pass. I do agree that this is unacceptable however it's mildly problematic.

On related note I have also had several instances where upon power up I get no Dila logo and only a blank screen. When I say blank I mean there is clearly a signal but no image. If I press the menu button the projector responds as I can hear and see the iris opening as if displaying the menu but nothing appears. Once again switching inputs on the projector or my AV Processor restores normal operation upon completion of a new handshake.

Anyone else that may experience this I recommend trying this procedure before pulling the plug of powering off the projector.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #453 of 604 Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
From a troubleshooting standpoint, it is interesting that there are so many different symptoms (that all seem to be related to HDMI). On my RS67, I have not seen anything like what you are describing. However, when I do get a glitch, I too can usually clear it by switching inputs on my AVR. This works as it forces my Oppo to renegotiate the whole HDMI chain even though my projector is connected directly to my Blu-ray player.

But here's another example of the varying behavior: Since applying the 1211.1 patch, I can no longer watch a 3D movie with my darblet in the chain (BDP93 -> DVP5000 -> RS67). The Darbee's status overlay is stuck on the top portion of the screen. If I change a setting (e.g., more Darbee) the stuck status overlay will disappear and the new overlay will appear in the lower half (where it is supposed to be). When it disappears after ~2 seconds (normal behavior), it then re-appears in the upper half of the screen. It will stay there as long as the movie is playing. It's as if the JVC has done some sort of screen grab and stored in its memory. It only does this while a 3D movie is playing (and only since applying the second patch). And it does this without initiating a change to the darblet (so not touching the darblet is not a solution). Go figure.
post #454 of 604 Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^^ Ralph, I have the same issue on my 4910 and do the same as you. I've had a few lock ups (on the original firmware) but have been successful with the AVR input switching method you describe.

FYI my setup is Sony S5100 -> 6 ft Blue Jeans cable -> Marantz SR7008 -> 25 foot Blue Jeans -> projector.

- Jeff
post #455 of 604 Old 04-04-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

What is your hdmi chain like? Any idea on what scenario tends to cause this to happen, or does it seem random?
+1 -- this is an important question. I was blaming some weird image artifacts (I think there are images posted earlier in this thread) I was having on the projector when it turns out that my Darbee was the problem. Chances are that if no one else is reporting the issue you're seeing that something else in your chain is causing the problem.
post #456 of 604 Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I have had good luck with improved HDMI stability and speed in locking on a signal using an in-line extender.
I have tried many and have found that the DVIGEAR DVI-7370c HDMI extender works well. http://www.dvigear.com/hdmi-extender-01.html
Not perfect but does make a difference for my set up.

When I can find some time I'm going to try the Crestron HDMI extender over CAT cable.
We have had great luck with these in many different applications.
http://www.crestron.com/resources/product_and_programming_resources/catalogs_and_brochures/online_catalog/default.asp?jump=1&model=HD-EXT3-C

Will report back.
post #457 of 604 Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Yikes, lots of issues here. My review unit had the first HDMI firmware but I haven't done the newer one. I haven't had a single lock up issue or black screen yet. I've done lots of switching of resolution, 3D to non-3D and even 4K. I definitely think the JVC is slow to lock on to signals (has been on the last few models) but I haven't had a single issue otherwise. I am using a set of Accell HDMI cables that have built in inline amps (I've used Accell for years now and NEVER have issues, even with long runs). I have used a Oppo 105, 103D, Redray player, Sony 4K dealer demo unit and a Lumagen 2041. The video signal never goes thru my AV processor (Anthem D2V 3D).

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #458 of 604 Old 04-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I posted on a different thread but should have posted here.

RS57 - becomes unresponsive and I get a black screen whenever I don't have a bluray playing. It seems to have started when I switched to 1080P/24 on my Oppo BDP-103

Purchased in March, Current firmware is r1210.3, Using a 15' monoprice silver plated HDMI cable.

Projector menu won't come up during black out but I can turn off the projector with the remote.
If I press menu at the black screen it will be on once I press play on the Oppo, so the projector is not locked up but just won't display any picture.

If I turn off the projector and disconnect the HDMI cable, the normal blue screen is now green and I can still access the projector menu.

Schwa suggested trying the latest firmware, which would take me a couple of weeks to do.

Has anyone tried switching back to 1080P/60 and leaving it there? I was thinking the 1080P/24 had better motion?

Is any of this covered under warranty?

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #459 of 604 Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I had the exact same experiences on a X55R especially from a Kaleidescape player that was being distributed to multiple locations.

Personally I would not change to 1080p/60 as I think 1080p/24 has much better depth and looks more natural.
Though some like the reduced judder @ 60.

As I mentioned two posts up I had good luck using an in-line HDMI extender from DVIGEAR located at the projector.
Switching sources and locking on resolution changes is still slow but much faster than before and so far no complete loss of source/picture.
When looking for a solution many years ago the DVIGEAR was the only one that worked.
There are many more to choose from today.
I've give one a shot.

Also I only use PPC HDMI HD-1000 cables as they always work and solve issues where others could not.
The only thing that can be PITA is the locking connector if you connect/disconnect often.
They are also certified by my good friend Jeff Boccaccio at DPL Labs.
Jeff knows more about signal transmission over cables than anyone I have ever met.
post #460 of 604 Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Has anyone tried switching back to 1080P/60 and leaving it there?

To answer my own question, I unplugged everything, turned off 1080P/24 on the Oppo player and the problem is gone.
I'll leave it like this for a while and see if that's the only cause.

Does anyone successfully have 1080P/24 working with an Oppo 103 without the use of an extender?
And do most use 4:2:2 color?

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #461 of 604 Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To answer my own question, I unplugged everything, turned off 1080P/24 on the Oppo player and the problem is gone.
I'll leave it like this for a while and see if that's the only cause.

Does anyone successfully have 1080P/24 working with an Oppo 103 without the use of an extender?
And do most use 4:2:2 color?
You need to install the latest firmware (1211.1) before you tear your system apart trying to find other potential problem sources. Both firmware updates that JVC has released are supposed to improve HDMI stability.
post #462 of 604 Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

You need to install the latest firmware (1211.1) before you tear your system apart trying to find other potential problem sources. Both firmware updates that JVC has released are supposed to improve HDMI stability.

Ok thanks. It seems to be working on 1080/60 so I'll just leave it there for now and get one of my computer tech friends to help with update when they have time.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #463 of 604 Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok thanks. It seems to be working on 1080/60 so I'll just leave it there for now and get one of my computer tech friends to help with update when they have time.
It's not a tough update to do yourself. Just look through the firmware update thread, buy the recommended adapters (about $25 total), follow JVC's instructions, and you'll be golden.
post #464 of 604 Old 04-13-2014, 04:09 PM

Liked: 10
I was watching 47 Ronin in 3D last night on my 4910 and noticed the problems mentioned in other threads about the anamorphic stretch mode so I had to switch to the 16/9 mode and watch the movie with black bars- then it was smooth. All that said I was wondering if Mike has any update on the firmware to fix this as it was supposed to be coming soon.
post #465 of 604 Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Guys does anyone tried to feed 1080i before and after latest update?

My Sony BDV 9100WL trying to output as 1080i I need this specific feed to be output in order to be able to record by Hauppauge HD DVR, however X500r render its with flickering and wrong scaling. Does anyone encountered with the same problem?

post #466 of 604 Old 05-02-2014, 06:29 PM
sr

I just performed the latest upgrade to the projector and I found out a very important requirement that seems to be overlooked in this thread. You must right click on the properties of the port that is in service in System Manager and set the baud rate to match what is required in Magic Flash; all other settings may be left in default. When all settings are correct THEN unplug and re-plug the power cord. It will not update if you just try to make software changes without resetting the power on the projector.
post #467 of 604 Old 05-02-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post

I was watching 47 Ronin in 3D last night on my 4910 and noticed the problems mentioned in other threads about the anamorphic stretch mode so I had to switch to the 16/9 mode and watch the movie with black bars- then it was smooth. All that said I was wondering if Mike has any update on the firmware to fix this as it was supposed to be coming soon.

Sorry Joe, no new news on when this will come out.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #468 of 604 Old 05-03-2014, 03:39 AM

Hi Guys,

Just to confirm that latest firmware r1211.1 resovles issues with 1080i as well and RGB between YPrBr  switches, now can automatically resolve correctly. 

Also for those who has upgrarded previously you do not need to write boot loader via Flash Magic, as it already sits there fro previous upgrade you can skip all steps and start from 2nd step upgrade, where you write firmware itself into memory. However I have unplugged and plugged power cord back just in case. 

post #469 of 604 Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
So r1211.1 is the most up to date firmware?

I recently received an exchange unit. My original RS57 exhibited more significant "vertical streaking" than what is typical for these projectors. Happy to say that the streaking on the replacement, while still present, is much improved and inline with what is typical for these JVCs.

However, I'm now getting a likely HDMI glitch I wasn't getting before. My previous unit had the original firmware and then the first update. This unit has r1211.1

When first booting up, I get intermittent quick flashes of "snow/static" every few minutes. Sometimes following the flash the right side of the screen will get a vertical strip of a few inches from the left side of the screen.

I can clear that strip by cycling between inputs. But the flashes of static every few minutes and strip will return.

So far, I THINK I've been able to stabilize it by unplugging the power and HDMI cable from the Darblet. When I plug the Darblet back in things seem to be stable.

Now, on my original unit with the older firmware I would get one flash a static a couple of minutes after everything is up and running, but then that would be it. It would be stable and there was never the vertical bar of the right side moved over to the left.

With this new unit (and latest firmware) the static/snow flashes will continue every few minutes, followed by the weird bar on the side.

I think tonight I'll power cycle the Darblet right from the start and see if I get this. Suppose I'll need to try things with the Darblet completely out of the chain as well.

Any guess on what is going on here?
post #470 of 604 Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

When first booting up, I get intermittent quick flashes of "snow/static" every few minutes. Sometimes following the flash the right side of the screen will get a vertical strip of a few inches from the left side of the screen.

I can clear that strip by cycling between inputs. But the flashes of static every few minutes and strip will return.

So far, I THINK I've been able to stabilize it by unplugging the power and HDMI cable from the Darblet. When I plug the Darblet back in things seem to be stable.

Now, on my original unit with the older firmware I would get one flash a static a couple of minutes after everything is up and running, but then that would be it. It would be stable and there was never the vertical bar of the right side moved over to the left.

With this new unit (and latest firmware) the static/snow flashes will continue every few minutes, followed by the weird bar on the side.

I think tonight I'll power cycle the Darblet right from the start and see if I get this. Suppose I'll need to try things with the Darblet completely out of the chain as well.

Any guess on what is going on here?
From what I've seen 1211.1 is the most current firmware.

I see the same snowy artifact from time to time on my 4910. Cycling the power on my Darblet seems to clear it up.

My 4910 has slightly worse streaking than my 4810 did. However, I've only ever noticed it on pure white-on-black text and only just barely from my seating position and, even then, only when there's a thick horizontal line in the image. I haven't fiddled with it enough to figure out how much worse the DI is making this appear but I suspect it exacerbates the effect to some extent.
post #471 of 604 Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've been experincine the flash since the last update. Until I find (or JVC?) finds a fix for their (and my own) problem, I have decided to take the darbee out of my video chain since I had to reset it too often in order to eliminate those flashes. No weird bar on the side ever though...

Stef
post #472 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 03:48 AM

Just remove that darbee (unneeded stuff) and you'll be ok guys. I see no reason adding Darbee into the chain, relying that it will enhance picture.

post #473 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post

Just remove that darbee (unneeded stuff) and you'll be ok guys. I see no reason adding Darbee into the chain, relying that it will enhance picture.

As stated above, I came to the same conclusion...no more darbee for me. Anybody interested?

Stef
post #474 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 04:59 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post

I would not want to remove my Darbee since I like what it does.

Are you guys saying you cant use a stand alone Darbee with these models without HDMI issues?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #475 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Last night as soon as I booted up my system I power cycled the Darblet (fortunately it is in an easy access position) and I did not have any problems with the static flashes.

I unplugged the HDMI cable from the Darblet also when I power cycled, so tonight I'm going to try just power cycling with no HDMI unplugging.

If its still good tonight, Thursday I'll do nothing to confirm that this happens without power cycling the Darblet.

Assuming this is all confirmed, anyone have any ideas why the Darblet would be doing this and why a power cycle stabilizes it?
post #476 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a x35 using a ps3. This happens all time. When it switches from 1080p60 to 1080p24 the JVC x35 just goes to it default screen. My case it it the blue screen. When I hit info to show me the resolution. The JVC reports 2881x1080.

Switching the hdmi input on the JVC from 1-2-1 will sometimes fix this problem.

The software version on my machine is 29.001. I can not find what the latest version of my firmware should be, and will it fix this issue.

Thanks.
post #477 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Are you guys saying you cant use a stand alone Darbee with these models without HDMI issues?
That is my experience, yes.

Stef
post #478 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

It works fine Todd, it's just that with the newer HDMI codecs in this years line it seems to cause a bit of a hiccup for the Darblet when executing rez changes from 60 to 24 frames (and visa versa),

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #479 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

It works fine Todd, it's just that with the newer HDMI codecs in this years line it seems to cause a bit of a hiccup for the Darblet when executing rez changes from 60 to 24 frames (and visa versa),

Thanks Kevin and that would be a non issue for me in that case as I rarely move out of 24 frame blu ray. smile.gif
krichter1 likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #480 of 604 Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Yup. My Darblet only starts with the snow and glitching after I've switched from 1080p24 to 1080p60 (and only sometimes). Cycling its power seems to fix it.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X700r , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla Rs66
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page