JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 PM
sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I tried as hard as I could to differentiate the effect with and without eshift and could not find a hint of any difference in the picture...and I have a 110" screen. Color and sharpness looked the same. Please let me know what exactly you notice. I even had a younger set of eyes study the picture and he could not see the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 384
sr,

What I notice is: very slightly softer picture with E-shift engaged, but a slightly more "dense" or "solid" looking image. Looking, for instance, at the surface of a car on screen, switching E-shift on seems to give it just that much more solidity, like the surface is "right there" and you can touch it, vs a projected image.
It is quite subtle, but seems to be distinct enough that I appreciate the difference.

Sometimes when I want the sharpest image I'm turing E-shift off.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post

I tried as hard as I could to differentiate the effect with and without eshift and could not find a hint of any difference in the picture...and I have a 110" screen. Color and sharpness looked the same. Please let me know what exactly you notice. I even had a younger set of eyes study the picture and he could not see the difference.

All depends from what distance you watch on screen, I've noticed a lot owners watch it from far away distance. I've got 135 inch screen and watch it from 3.5 meters distance, and you notice a difference with e-shift on. I suppose if you sit more far (5 meteres) you won't notice it. 

I also watch with high lamp constantly and don't hear any disturbing noise from projector or its eshift processing. 

Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
Do you see any difference when you are very close to the screen ? ...if not, your eshift might be not working. If you see a difference, gradually move back, until so almost see no more difference. I clearly see a difference (and I like it) if I sit in the first row, but (probably) see no clear difference when sitting in the second row of my HT. So, I would probably not use eshift if my closest row was my second row...

From the first row, what I see is a more solid, palpable picture, without any blurring or loss of detail...

Stef

Last edited by stef2; 06-12-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 AM
sr

I still cannot differentiate when eshift is on. I'm in the THX mode. I freezed the picture and also tried letting the picture run while turning eshift on and off. Then I focused on a certain detail on the screen, and I still cannot see a difference. What makes it also more difficult to evaluate is the switching delay. You have to memorize the before and after – not easy.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I still cannot differentiate when eshift is on. I'm in the THX mode. I freezed the picture and also tried letting the picture run while turning eshift on and off. Then I focused on a certain detail on the screen, and I still cannot see a difference. What makes it also more difficult to evaluate is the switching delay. You have to memorize the before and after – not easy.
What source are you feeding in? 4k?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 AM
sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
What source are you feeding in? 4k?
Over-the-air 1080i CBS Morning News through my TiVo Roameo. I wait for a segment when the anchors are at their desk so I view the best quality video.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 AM

I'll take some pictures and will show you the difference later this evening, how it should be done.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just installed The JVC 4910 to replace the RS45. I am impressed with the blacks and shadow detail compared to the RS45. I also am pleased to report that 3D is much,much better with very little ghosting. It is in fact watchable which was not the case with the RS45. I also have a benq 1070 which I use for 3D. (I could not stand the ghosting on the RS45). I have tried several 3D films that had severe ghosting issues on the 4910 and while I can still see some slight ghosting if I really try to look for it. This will not be a problem for nearly all viewers. I also love the brightness and shadow detail which is missing on the Benq 1070. The only issues I am having so far are a few freeze ups when I was quickly adjusting the projector. I could not get out of the freeze ups without shutting off and restarting the projector. I do have the latest firmware. I never had this issues with the RS45 and I believe it is probably HDMI related. I am using and Oppo 103D going to the projector. Using Redmere cables from Monoprice and the new Dimensional Optics Value line of 3D glasses. The glasses are the latest generation. I have other brands of glasses around and will compare then when I get a chance.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Turn e-shift off while you're standing close to the screen. Focus the image so that you can clearly make out the pixel structure. Turn off the internal patterns while you focus; they automatically engage e-shift and make it alonst impossible to focus accurately. Now, after you've focused the image so you can see the pixel grid, turn e-shift on. If the pixel grid practically disappears, you'll at least know that e-shift is working.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jvc rs45u

Hi,

I have had my HDMI failed twice now, the hdmi port does not display anything, I took my projector to Indonesia, Failed, shipped it back to USA for repairs which was sent to mendtronix or something. Now the problem seems to have crop up on Port 1, I am wandering this issue could be going back to earlier models, which person can I really get help from on a updated firmware to fix this issue as I do not want to send it back to USA for repairs the last attempt already cost over 700 us dollars as a two way trip.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
Old 06-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Just installed The JVC 4910 to replace the RS45. I am impressed with the blacks and shadow detail compared to the RS45. I also am pleased to report that 3D is much,much better with very little ghosting. It is in fact watchable which was not the case with the RS45. I also have a benq 1070 which I use for 3D. (I could not stand the ghosting on the RS45). I have tried several 3D films that had severe ghosting issues on the 4910 and while I can still see some slight ghosting if I really try to look for it. This will not be a problem for nearly all viewers. I also love the brightness and shadow detail which is missing on the Benq 1070. The only issues I am having so far are a few freeze ups when I was quickly adjusting the projector. I could not get out of the freeze ups without shutting off and restarting the projector. I do have the latest firmware. I never had this issues with the RS45 and I believe it is probably HDMI related. I am using and Oppo 103D going to the projector. Using Redmere cables from Monoprice and the new Dimensional Optics Value line of 3D glasses. The glasses are the latest generation. I have other brands of glasses around and will compare then when I get a chance.
I had 3 lockups in the first 2 days of owning. Changed the HDMI cable connection on the projector and not had a problem since. The connection need to be really tight. Try those cheap connectors. Mine was fixed by removing a pigtail booster and connecting direct.

Have now ran for two weeks solid. Clocked up 115 hours with not one issue. I'm finding HDMI sync fast as well.

I'm using 2 Oppo 103D's, PS3 and PS4 into a Marantz SR7008. I'm spinning the input wheel on the Marantz to try and get the projector to fail. Nothing. Works perfect. Also using latest firmware (R1.211 for memory)
Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I had 3 lockups in the first 2 days of owning. Changed the HDMI cable connection on the projector and not had a problem since. The connection need to be really tight. Try those cheap connectors. Mine was fixed by removing a pigtail booster and connecting direct.

Have now ran for two weeks solid. Clocked up 115 hours with not one issue. I'm finding HDMI sync fast as well.

I'm using 2 Oppo 103D's, PS3 and PS4 into a Marantz SR7008. I'm spinning the input wheel on the Marantz to try and get the projector to fail. Nothing. Works perfect. Also using latest firmware (R1.211 for memory)
Thanks. I have be ok since these first lock ups. No problems at all. The Redmere cables are thin so they don't put a stress on the connection. It might have been me switching between the resolutions very fast. At this point it is working so I am not going to worry about it. I also have the same firmware as you have.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Well, I had to remove my Darbee from my chain yesterday, I started getting intermittent flashing and blank screens - shame, because I like the effect Darbee brought.

Is an Oppo 103 D the only answer, or can it cause problems?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Well, I had to remove my Darbee from my chain yesterday, I started getting intermittent flashing and blank screens - shame, because I like the effect Darbee brought.

I have two Oppo103's set on the one Projector. No issues with flashing here. Running the latest firmware.
AidenL likes this.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

There maybe a new update.

I have R1211.1 loaded and I have just been contacted by DreamVision and they are wanting to load a new firmware in.

Edit: Yes. Definetly new Firmware. I have asked them what exactly the new firmware does. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by Badas; 06-17-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
There maybe a new update.

I have R1211.1 loaded and I have just been contacted by DreamVision and they are wanting to load a new firmware in.

Edit: Yes. Definetly new Firmware. I have asked them what exactly the new firmware does. I will keep you posted.
If there is, it hasn't been posted to the JVC website yet.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Had my first handshake issue last night on my X500R. I have my wireless HDMI receiver hooked up to input 1. My Sony 5000ES is going through my Yamaha receiver that's in pass through mode to the wireless HDMI transmitter. The screen was all green and flashed multi color lines ever few seconds. I changed inputs with no help. I restarted the BR player-No help. Finally shut down and restarted the X500R and it hooked up. I have the first update installed. Is there any point in doing the second update for this issue?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

I wouldn't dismiss the Darbee before you first rule out your cables being the issue (length, type, etc...), along with install point in your chain. Too short can be an issue, mixing different brands of cables and where you have the Darbee installed can all affect the handshake sequence.

I have mine working fine and the only delay or flashing (pink), is when I go from 60p to 24p and back. The benefits of the Darbee outweigh the flashing issues I still have. All my cables are high speed Monoprice and nothing less than 6ft.
AidenL likes this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 PM
sr

I too had lockup issues when switching sources through my receiver. This is even after upgrading to the latest firmware. The video would become distorted such that you would see a split screen with a mirror image, which required a restart to resolve. Tech support suggested switching to HDMI 2 and so far so good. I also disabled eshift which caused an increase in noise when switching sources, and I always suspected that it maybe a contributor to the projector not behaving. The contrast ratio is so good, I don't believe in any artificial enhancement when its not necessary. That goes for all you Darbee fans. I know I'm going to get hate mail, but that's the way I feel.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I too had lockup issues when switching sources through my receiver. This is even after upgrading to the latest firmware. The video would become distorted such that you would see a split screen with a mirror image, which required a restart to resolve. Tech support suggested switching to HDMI 2 and so far so good. I also disabled eshift which caused an increase in noise when switching sources, and I always suspected that it maybe a contributor to the projector not behaving. The contrast ratio is so good, I don't believe in any artificial enhancement when its not necessary. That goes for all you Darbee fans. I know I'm going to get hate mail, but that's the way I feel.
Okay, I'll start.

1. Contrast ratio really has nothing to do with what the Darbee does.

2. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
https://www.cdromland.nl/product/106...abel-9P-F-F-5m

How do I find out if this cable is cross?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes it looks like I'm having HDMI issues with my X900R. BTW it was purchased a couple of months ago so I assume it has the latest firmware.

It drove me nuts last night trying to track down if the issue was -
1. The HDMI cable (not making good contact either end)
2. The Onkyo SC5508 preamp/processor
3. The projector
4. The Input device

Two irritations:
1. It is slow to handshake (and is now sometimes refusing to do this at all) when input on the Onkyo is changed
2. The brightness level starts off great, then dims.

At one stage last night it refused to handshake with recorder2 after being OK with recorder1. I verified there was video coming out of the Onkyo by looking at a small monitor fed from Onkyo HDMI output 2 but there was zilch picture on the JVC projector. Plugging & unplugging the HDMI either end, changing inputs on the JVC, achieved nix. It was only after I changed the resolution output (to be higher) on the recorder that video finally came through.

All through the above audio was coming via the Onkyo & amps OK so the handshaking problem is a video one with the JVC.

The changing brightness seems to be an internal JVC projector fault. For awhile I thought it was due to poor HDMI contact but have now ruled that out. The projector does not appear to overheat and is only warm to touch on the front right after going all night. But it does appear it could be an issue caused by heat build up because it is always bright when first turned on but then dims and stays dim for the rest of the night. At one stage last night I powered the JVC into standby and when it finally came on again the video was full brightness - which is odd because it was only off for a minute or so and could not have cooled significantly. However to be absolutely sure I'm not throttling the air flow I'll open it up even more tonight.

All very frustrating.

I would greatly appreciate feedback if anyone has experienced this and/or has any suggestions.

Thanks for reading this

John

A hi-fi & video nut for 50+ years!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

I really need some urgent advise on the upgrade procedure that I cannot seem to get working. I m from Europe and I own a RS49E which has firmware 1178 installed on it. I m having handshake issues when using it with my HTPC (1080p60 works but 1080p23 lets my RS49 freeze and I get a black screen).

So I downloaded the 1211.1 version from here http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...te/index2.html

I also reinstalled my good old 1000Mhz desktop PC from 12 years ago that has two on-board serial ports (COM1 and COM2). I also bought a NULL MODEM CABLE from here https://www.cdromland.nl/product/106...abel-9P-F-F-5m.

After some troubles with Net Framework (I had to install SP3 on my XP pc and Framework 4) I managed to run the ILAFPJ2013_UP_GRADER.exe utility but I just cannot seem to get it working. I did put the JVC in upgrade mode (plug in AC while pressing the input button for 5 seconds) and verified it actually is on upgrade mode (all lights of on JVC except lan light). I selected the Main_r1211_1.srec file in the flash utility but I just keep getting a cannot-communicate notification. I tried both serial ports on my pc (it has two hardware communication ports on its mainboard) and I also tried to change the baud rate value in the settings of the ports from the default 9600 to 57600 (I did somewhere in this post that this is neecessary.

Someone has any idea what I m missing???
Old 06-22-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
Guys,

I really need some urgent advise on the upgrade procedure that I cannot seem to get working. I m from Europe and I own a RS49E which has firmware 1178 installed on it. I m having handshake issues when using it with my HTPC (1080p60 works but 1080p23 lets my RS49 freeze and I get a black screen).

So I downloaded the 1211.1 version from here http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...te/index2.html

I also reinstalled my good old 1000Mhz desktop PC from 12 years ago that has two on-board serial ports (COM1 and COM2). I also bought a NULL MODEM CABLE from here https://www.cdromland.nl/product/106...abel-9P-F-F-5m.

After some troubles with Net Framework (I had to install SP3 on my XP pc and Framework 4) I managed to run the ILAFPJ2013_UP_GRADER.exe utility but I just cannot seem to get it working. I did put the JVC in upgrade mode (plug in AC while pressing the input button for 5 seconds) and verified it actually is on upgrade mode (all lights of on JVC except lan light). I selected the Main_r1211_1.srec file in the flash utility but I just keep getting a cannot-communicate notification. I tried both serial ports on my pc (it has two hardware communication ports on its mainboard) and I also tried to change the baud rate value in the settings of the ports from the default 9600 to 57600 (I did somewhere in this post that this is neecessary.

Make sure you do not have a Com port conflict.

First Update Step
Double-click on the Flash Magic icon on your
desktop to open a Flash Magic window.

1. Click on the ìSelect Deviceî button,
choose ìLPC1788î in the ARM
Cortex folder, then click the ìOKî
button:

2. Select the appropriate COM port. Must be the same on projector and PC to work.

3. Select ì57600î for the Baud Rate.
4. Select ìNone (ISP)î for the Interface.
5. Type in ì12î in the Oscillator (Mhz)
field.
6. Check the box for ìErase all
Flash+Code Rd Protî
7. Click on ìBrowseî and select the
"Main_boot_ver2.hex" update file in
the ìJVC2013UPDATEî folder.
8. Check the box for ìVerify after programmingî
9. Click on the ìStartî button

*This first update will take appro

Last edited by rwestley; 06-22-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

thxz for your quick reply!

What you mean with (important) point 2? My RS49 only has 1 serial port so how can I make it 'the same' as on the one on my PC??
Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 AM
sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
Yes it looks like I'm having HDMI issues with my X900R. BTW it was purchased a couple of months ago so I assume it has the latest firmware.

It drove me nuts last night trying to track down if the issue was -
1. The HDMI cable (not making good contact either end)
2. The Onkyo SC5508 preamp/processor
3. The projector
4. The Input device

Two irritations:
1. It is slow to handshake (and is now sometimes refusing to do this at all) when input on the Onkyo is changed
2. The brightness level starts off great, then dims.

At one stage last night it refused to handshake with recorder2 after being OK with recorder1. I verified there was video coming out of the Onkyo by looking at a small monitor fed from Onkyo HDMI output 2 but there was zilch picture on the JVC projector. Plugging & unplugging the HDMI either end, changing inputs on the JVC, achieved nix. It was only after I changed the resolution output (to be higher) on the recorder that video finally came through.

All through the above audio was coming via the Onkyo & amps OK so the handshaking problem is a video one with the JVC.

The changing brightness seems to be an internal JVC projector fault. For awhile I thought it was due to poor HDMI contact but have now ruled that out. The projector does not appear to overheat and is only warm to touch on the front right after going all night. But it does appear it could be an issue caused by heat build up because it is always bright when first turned on but then dims and stays dim for the rest of the night. At one stage last night I powered the JVC into standby and when it finally came on again the video was full brightness - which is odd because it was only off for a minute or so and could not have cooled significantly. However to be absolutely sure I'm not throttling the air flow I'll open it up even more tonight.

All very frustrating.

I would greatly appreciate feedback if anyone has experienced this and/or has any suggestions.

Thanks for reading this

John

John, have you gone into the Menu to verify the brightness level. I use THX mode in Low lamp mode, and it maintains this state until it detects a 3D source and then goes in High lamp mode. I really feel for you after buying a "reference projector" and then having this problem. Did you contact tech support? And have you tried using HDMI 2 input on the projector. That was the advice I obtained from tech support and it seems to be working.

Last edited by sr; 06-22-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: More information to add
Old 06-22-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
John, have you gone into the Menu to verify the brightness level. I use THX mode in Low lamp mode, and it maintains this state until it detects a 3D source and then goes in High lamp mode. I really feel for you after buying a "reference projector" and then having this problem. Did you contact tech support? And have you tried using HDMI 2 input on the projector. That was the advice I obtained from tech support and it seems to be working.
Thanks for responding sr.

Yes I have now contacted JVC tech support over the weekend (expect contact later today), been into the menu for brightness and have tried input 2 rather than input 1 -> same result.

It appears the projector is unstable about remaining between high and low lamp mode as there are changes in brightness with low brightness giving an unacceptably dark picture. For awhile I suspected poor contact with the HDMI cable but am not so sure now. To be sure I have another cable on the way.

John

POSTSCRIPT: Wow I'm impressed with JVC service - they just rang (before 9 am Monday here) - a lot better than Sony who never did get back to me on a matter.

Anyway, it appears there have been firmware upgrades I need to install to fix the HDMI issues but they are sending me a replacement lamp (under guarantee) with that the most likely issue with unstable brightness. If not, it will have to go to a techo. But before that I'll connect the projector direct to the recorder to absolutely eliminate the Onkyo (these have HDMI issues to complicate the problem).

POSTSCRIPT 2: Update now installed and yes, HDMI changes are switching OK, sometimes taking up to 17 seconds for the video although almost immediately for the audio. Software version r1211.1 showing up successfully although during the download the standby indicator never changed from yellow/orange as the instructions suggested but it seems that did not matter. Looking forward to a new globe fixing the changing brightness problem.

A hi-fi & video nut for 50+ years!

Last edited by Tassie Devil; 06-22-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-22-2014, 05:21 PM
sr

One other thing to try is go into the Picture Menu, Lens Aperture, Manual and set it to full open. Maybe the Auto 1 or Auto 2 feature is affecting the brightness.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
Guys,

You do not use “upgrade mode” (Actually it’s update mode) with the ILAFPJ2013_UP_GRADER.exe ultility. You only use update mode with the Flash Magic part of the update (part 1 of 2). For ILAFPJ2013_UP_GRADER.exe (part 2 of 2), simply start with the power cord disconnected and plug it in. Then start the utility and update the firmware.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X700r , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla Rs66