JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 24 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 718 Old 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I also had an issue with HDMI 1 using an output from my Lumagen. Switching to HDMI 2 solved the problem.
I spoke to Lumagen about this and they told me that they had experienced the same issue with different HDMI inputs in the past from several manufacturers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 718 Old 04-26-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Ugh, it looks like I'll have to just switch to HDMI input 2. Which does create some issues for me.

Right now I've added an additional right angle HDMI connector, to help my HDMI cable clear the rest of the cables, allowing my projector to
rise up and down on the projector lift. But this means I now have 2 HDMI adaptors between the end of a 45' long HDMI cable and my projector,
and I'm worried that adding yet another connector in the chain will weaken the signal. Opinions, anyone, on that?
post #693 of 718 Old 04-26-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Ugh, it looks like I'll have to just switch to HDMI input 2. Which does create some issues for me.

Right now I've added an additional right angle HDMI connector, to help my HDMI cable clear the rest of the cables, allowing my projector to
rise up and down on the projector lift. But this means I now have 2 HDMI adaptors between the end of a 45' long HDMI cable and my projector,
and I'm worried that adding yet another connector in the chain will weaken the signal. Opinions, anyone, on that?
Monoprice has all kinds of extenders and "port savers' You might be able to find a way to only use one. The 45' cable is very long and you many need some kind of HDMI extender to get things to work. I am using a 30' Redmere cable and I had problems using HDMI 1 from the Lumagen. That being said HDMI II has been fine so far.
post #694 of 718 Old 04-26-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolicalpanda View Post
I have similar issue. However I seem to have found a workaround. I turn on the source and the receiver before I turn on the projector. So that when the projector starts, it has a source feed ready. This seemed to have solved my problem.

I get more consistent handshakes by turning the PJ on first in my setup.
post #695 of 718 Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have an older model than those generally in question here, its an RS60U, moderately happy with the unit but unlikely to buy JVC again. (JVC service/support in Canada is a joke, I think they supplied the Klingons with the invisibility cloaking technology)

I used to have all sorts of handshake issues, I have an Oppo 95, Bell satellite receiver as sources all routed through a Lexicon MC12HD.

By trial and error I found that by turning on the projector first, allowing it to fully boot, followed by the lexicon fully booted, before turning on the source usually gives a trouble free handshake. One exception is with the Satellite receiver, occasionally it will not confirm and the solution is remove power and reboot the receiver. I have noticed that leaving the system with the satellite receiver selected as source in the Lexicon seems to lessen the occurrence of no handshake. Could well be the receiver rather than the projector.

The above is offered as a helping hand, the rest of this below is a "rant", so stop here if you are a JVC aficionado and don't want to be offended.

I appreciate the benefits from the advancement in technology but I'm just sick and tired of the push for "bigger and better" in the world of consumer electronics. Too many products are released to the market before being fully sorted, as was my RS60.

I've learned my lesson, I will not buy bleeding edge technology again, it usually ends up bleeding my bank account. In the case of the RS60 not so, but only because I never heard back from JVC regards some of my concerns about the picture quality despite multiple attempts to contact them by e-mail and phone. Seems they only support Boom boxes and other high volume lower end products.

My next projector will likely be the 1100 Sony, it may be long in the tooth but from all reports it seems it is stable and well supported, a request for a price quotation was responded to immediately by a Sony rep. No more "high performance" JVC's for me, they remind me of a kit-car Ferrari versus a real Ferrari, lots of promise, lots of show but not so much go when the rubber hits the road.
post #696 of 718 Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM
sr

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I hear you! And I agree that Sony tech support is far better. Systems are so sophisticated today that you practically need an engineering degree to understand which option to choose. One setting that seemed to yield the most benefit was to set all source components to output 1080p, not AUTO. This way the projector does not have to sync to a different resolution when you switch sources.
post #697 of 718 Old 04-28-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Alright guys. Just swapped my HW55ES for an RS4910 and got everything hooked up and.....no HDMI signal detected on input 1 or 2. Direct HDMI cable from my Anthem receiver to the projector (same exact setup as with my Sony).

The projector is still running one of the very early firmware versions (r1178.1)...waiting on my Keyspan adapter to update to newest firmware. Before I freak out is it most likely a firmware issue that should be fixed with the latest update?

The only other thing I am worried about if it is not the firmware is a "kink" in my HDMI cable. I am using a heavy duty 50ft High Speed HDMI cable from Monoprice (very rigid) and I had to bend it almost 180 degrees for a few seconds to secure it. Is it possible to break an HDMI cable from bending?

Thanks!

Last edited by BigCoolJesus; 04-28-2015 at 08:04 PM.
post #698 of 718 Old 04-29-2015, 03:12 AM
sr

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 30
When I had initial setup issues, I connected a spare blue ray player with a short HDMI cable to the projector as a test and all worked fine on both inputs. Then I would connect the blue ray player to the end of my approximate 50 foot cable and do the same test. Then move the player to the receiver. I doubt bending the heavy cable actually severed any wires. You'll get to the bottom of it once you move down the chain.
post #699 of 718 Old 04-29-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I threw in a new Monoprice Redmere 30ft High Speed HDMI Cable in with my RS232 cable purchase for good measure just in case.
post #700 of 718 Old 04-29-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Alright guys. Just swapped my HW55ES for an RS4910 and got everything hooked up and.....no HDMI signal detected on input 1 or 2. Direct HDMI cable from my Anthem receiver to the projector (same exact setup as with my Sony).

The projector is still running one of the very early firmware versions (r1178.1)...waiting on my Keyspan adapter to update to newest firmware. Before I freak out is it most likely a firmware issue that should be fixed with the latest update?

The only other thing I am worried about if it is not the firmware is a "kink" in my HDMI cable. I am using a heavy duty 50ft High Speed HDMI cable from Monoprice (very rigid) and I had to bend it almost 180 degrees for a few seconds to secure it. Is it possible to break an HDMI cable from bending?

Thanks!
It certanly can be a firmware issue. I had issues with my 57 and HDMI signal and the latest firmware took care of it.

BUT....you need to take SR's advice a couple posts back.....take a blu ray player and short hdmi cable direct to both inputs to test if you can get a signal leaving your long cable out of the loop.

Let us know what you find out?

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #701 of 718 Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
It certanly can be a firmware issue. I had issues with my 57 and HDMI signal and the latest firmware took care of it.

BUT....you need to take SR's advice a couple posts back.....take a blu ray player and short hdmi cable direct to both inputs to test if you can get a signal leaving your long cable out of the loop.

Let us know what you find out?

Ron
I will. I'll be doing all my final setup/troubleshooting (if need be) when the rest of the cables and supplies come and the firmware is updated.
post #702 of 718 Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Thanks!
Another issue may be the length of the cable... HDMI signal degrades quite rapidly and I find that after 30 ft a lot of issues begin to appear, especially if any device is sensitive to signal loss. You are running 50 ft which i think will require a repeater midway, so you might have to run two 25 ft cables with a repeater or amplifier in between...

This may be proven if a short cable works fine and the long cable does not. I find that JVC HDMI ports are pretty crappy. It worked fine with an older Onkyo 906 amplifier but when i used a Pioneer AVR with HDMI 1.4, the synching took forever, as long as 10-15 seconds before i could get a picture.
sr likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #703 of 718 Old 05-01-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind. As soon as I posted this I figured it out
post #704 of 718 Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

EUREKA! Between the new Redmere HDMI Cable and updating the firmware, I have perfect picture and no random HDMI problems (yet). Tested switching between multiple sources and no issues yet!
post #705 of 718 Old 05-05-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 185
My x500 only seems to have some random issues with the darblet in the chain. I can go many uses with zero issues and then poof, I get the snow and quick loss of connection and it is clearly because of the darblet in the chain since when this happens I take it out and things are fine. Odd how it isn't consistent when this happens and it is rare too.

I don't know who is to "blame" for this but I am blaming JVC (especially since the darblet works fine with other displays I have) because they have ALWAYS had ****ty HDMI on their projectors. It'd be nice if they would quit being so damn cheap on such a simple thing for these high end reference projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMike2 View Post
No more "high performance" JVC's for me, they remind me of a kit-car Ferrari versus a real Ferrari, lots of promise, lots of show but not so much go when the rubber hits the road.
This is beyond silly. That would only make sense if everyone had an issue with their "kit car" type projector when it comes to picture quality which they obviously don't. If anything, the JVCs are more like an exotic car where if they're running well they are amazing but if there is an issue they can be a finicky pain in the ass.

ROB
post #706 of 718 Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
My x500 only seems to have some random issues with the darblet in the chain. I can go many uses with zero issues and then poof, I get the snow and quick loss of connection and it is clearly because of the darblet in the chain since when this happens I take it out and things are fine. Odd how it isn't consistent when this happens and it is rare too.

My Darblet screwed up my system when hooked up. It actually caused weird sound drop outs of alll things. Not to mention HDMI handshake problems. I read about so many people having problems with the Darblet in their system, not just with JVC projectors, that it was one reason I gave in and bought the Lumagen with the darblet processing. Once I replaced the Darblet with the Lumagen, no more HDMI issues at all and I can use the Darbee processing.
post #707 of 718 Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 PM

Liked: 10
My JVC DLA-X500 is defective.
It is the second time I've been to the technical service for the following reason: to put in place the image appears red.
This happened at the beginning when the projector had been running about 4 hours and then turn it off after an hour and drove him to launch.
I took it to repair the official service two months ago and there worked properly.

But the next day it happened again: to put in place the screen image was red. I have returned to lead the official service and then, after two days of testing the image appeared in red. At first, the coach thought was my installation problem (HDMI, processor, etc.), but could see no.

They told me they were going to change the video controller board yesterday and called me to go get it, saying that longer working properly. Upon arriving there I was told that they had retested (last time) and had failed again (the picture appeared again in red).
They said they will change the plate on which are the HDMI and call me tomorrow.

The truth is I'm tired of this. I took more than a week without projector and I find it regrettable that JVC does not find a solution to the breakdown.

Excuse my English, I use Google Translator.
post #708 of 718 Old 05-13-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, I have a NEW issue with the projector. One that I personally haven't heard of:

It won't respond properly to remote commands. Specifically, no menu page will stay on the screen.

For instance, when I first start up the projector I can call up the menu page (e.g. to change picture settings) but it will disappear after about
8 seconds. The next time I call up the menu, it disappears more quickly, maybe after 5 seconds. The next time it stays on for 3 seconds.
Afterwords, it will only flash on then right off.

The same goes for the lens pattern - it will show up for a moment, but disappear. (It was in fact when I was choosing a pre-set lens zoom setting that I first noticed the problem, as that wasn't working. I attribute that to the fact the lens pattern won't stay on long enough for the lens system to alter zoom size).

Has anyone seen this problem, and are there any suggestions?

(This problem happens whether I'm using my RTI universal remote system or whether I use the JVC projector's remote to try to operate the menus).
post #709 of 718 Old 05-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I also had an issue with HDMI 1 using an output from my Lumagen. Switching to HDMI 2 solved the problem.
I spoke to Lumagen about this and they told me that they had experienced the same issue with different HDMI inputs in the past from several manufacturers.
Same issue for me with 4910 and Lumagen 2041.
post #710 of 718 Old 05-14-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
Same issue for me with 4910 and Lumagen 2041.
Which is the same issue I had, necessitating a switch to HDMI 2 input on my JVC RS57.

The puzzling thing is why it DID work fine for so long on HDMI 1 and then suddenly...the problem. I don't get it.
post #711 of 718 Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Rich: Sorry to hear about your menu issue. I love my JVC, but continuing to see issues like this pop up with others reinforces my need to have an extended warranty, if I plan on keeping the JVC 700 beyond next Jan...which is my intent. Hate to say it, but would we be better off in the long run if JVC produced less new models and let the current incarnations incubate for a longer period of time in beta before releasing them to the public. I know that's anti-upgrade mentality. But, I feel they are the type of projector for most that we want to keep for a longer period of time. The image it puts out reinforces my need to keep it longer, but the mechanical issues creates a fear of keeping it long term.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #712 of 718 Old 05-14-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

rboster,

I did some more trouble-shooting and have determined the problem isn't with the projector; it's with my remote control system, which is picking up interference and seems to be sending out random signals. The projector menus work fine when I turn off my universal remote system and just use the projector's remote. I just have to replace an antenna in my remote system (I believe...fingers crossed).

So in the couple of years I've owned my RS57 the only issue I've had that I can squarely put the blame on the projector is the HDMI 1 input issue.
(Though, apparently it's exacerbated by using the Lumagen 2041 that I have, if I've read other complaints properly).
post #713 of 718 Old 05-15-2015, 01:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdig View Post
My JVC DLA-X500 is defective.
It is the second time I've been to the technical service for the following reason: to put in place the image appears red.
This happened at the beginning when the projector had been running about 4 hours and then turn it off after an hour and drove him to launch.
I took it to repair the official service two months ago and there worked properly.

But the next day it happened again: to put in place the screen image was red. I have returned to lead the official service and then, after two days of testing the image appeared in red. At first, the coach thought was my installation problem (HDMI, processor, etc.), but could see no.

They told me they were going to change the video controller board yesterday and called me to go get it, saying that longer working properly. Upon arriving there I was told that they had retested (last time) and had failed again (the picture appeared again in red).
They said they will change the plate on which are the HDMI and call me tomorrow.

The truth is I'm tired of this. I took more than a week without projector and I find it regrettable that JVC does not find a solution to the breakdown.

Excuse my English, I use Google Translator.
I have already repaired the projector.
They have changed the board HDMI and everything seems to work correctly from six days ago.
post #714 of 718 Old 05-15-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
EUREKA! Between the new Redmere HDMI Cable and updating the firmware, I have perfect picture and no random HDMI problems (yet). Tested switching between multiple sources and no issues yet!

Sometimes a new HDMI cable can do wonders ! Glad your issues are fixed. Now watch some movies !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #715 of 718 Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #716 of 718 Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Maddening hobby this is.
But quite enjoyable too. Watched " Unbroken " last night - thought it was very good. Excellent picture and sound. Tonight it's " Big Eyes " !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #717 of 718 Old 05-15-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which is the same issue I had, necessitating a switch to HDMI 2 input on my JVC RS57.

The puzzling thing is why it DID work fine for so long on HDMI 1 and then suddenly...the problem. I don't get it.
Exact same thing happened to me. HDMI worked and suddenly the problem Using HDMI 2 4910
post #718 of 718 Old Today, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I've noticed on some JVC models, depending on which HDMI port you're using, 3D can act funny. The issue resembles paralax adjustment which is fixed within the image. Switching to the other HDMI input usually fixes it.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X700r , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla Rs66
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com