JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 902 Old 07-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
I went through that very same difficult period of setting up reliable switching. The solution was to configure all source outputs to "Fixed 1080p"; not native, auto, or any other variable type selection. I also use Input 2 on the projector. To further complicate the issue, my Sony receiver has a front facing IR emitter that had to be covered as it was causing a feedback loop that made my Harmony remote unreliable.
Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work in my case. Disabling 4K upscaling on every component other than my JVC X700 and disabling CEC on every component including my JVC X700 worked like a charm, and I'm able to leave my resolution settings set to Auto or Native on all of my components. I use Input 1 on my JVC X700.

My Harmony remote is kind of a pain. When switching inputs after everything is turned on, it's simple. But to get everything to turn on and off I must be standing in between my projector and components cabinet in order to get the signal to reach them all. Even using the JVC remote, the signal is spotty to even get the menu to come up, sometimes taking quite a few button presses to get it to register inputs...sighhh.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 902 Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 AM
sr
Senior Member
 
sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Forest Hills, NY
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yes, disabling 4k on all other components is a requirement. I never used CEC as I try to keep everything straight forward and don't need the feature. I guess it all comes down to what other components are in the chain and their interaction with the projector. Only painful trial and error seems to get the operation just right. The picture is so beautiful that I'm willing to go through this torture phase. I have the Harmony 900 and it too is a pain in the neck to get just right. I purchased Logitech's latest version remote and it seems more reliable, but again, their is the learning curve and time you have to invest.
sr is offline  
post #723 of 902 Old 07-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
Yes, disabling 4k on all other components is a requirement. I never used CEC as I try to keep everything straight forward and don't need the feature. I guess it all comes down to what other components are in the chain and their interaction with the projector. Only painful trial and error seems to get the operation just right. The picture is so beautiful that I'm willing to go through this torture phase. I have the Harmony 900 and it too is a pain in the neck to get just right. I purchased Logitech's latest version remote and it seems more reliable, but again, their is the learning curve and time you have to invest.
Yeah, I agree. I was almost to the point where I wanted to get another projector even though I knew it would be a downgrade in PQ. I'm so glad I finally got everything working properly because it's just mind blowing how good of a picture these projectors throw.

I think I'm going to purchase the Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home remote with the external emitter for Christmas to see if that helps. If I can resolve this minor niggle of an issue, I'll be happy.

The only two big complaints I still have are, there isn't a Game Mode with low input lag, and buying lamps every year sucks. But maybe those issues will be addressed within the next couple release cycles. A laser light engine and Game Mode with <35ms lag would be great so long as they don't make any sacrifices to PQ in the current gen models.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 07-07-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
post #724 of 902 Old 07-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 11,745
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
Greetings,

Sooo last week I shut down my Tivo Roamio (effectively going from 1080p/60 to 480p which my Marantz AVP defaults to when there is no signal present) and my 4910 locked up. By locked up I mean that the image on the screen froze.

The trouble shooting began:

- If I switched to Tivo back on the image played and behaved normally. Attempts to switch to another input/source would result in either the frozen image or a partial image/green screen. Powering off the Marantz resulted in a green screen which showed an input resolution of 1080p/60. So it would appear as though the projector locked itself in 1080p/60 mode (?).

- The projector was set to HDMI input 2. Powering off all sources, including the Marantz (followed by pulling the plug) and switching the HDMI cable to HDMI 1 input on the projector, I got no signal at all (Blue screen).

- I switched everything back, powered up the AVP and nothing changed. I then powered off the projector, let it cool down and powered it back on. Everything returned to normal.

Not sure what to make of it I chalked it up to a hiccup of some sort. It happened again on Sunday morning. I watched a Blu-ray Disc on my Oppo BDP-103D, pressed stop and noticed an abnormal hesitation during the resolution change from 1080p/24 to what would have been 1080p/60.

A black screen followed. Attempts to restore proper operation revealed the same sorts of split screen green screen and unresponsiveness I had experienced during the previous occurrence. Powering off and on the projector restored normal operation.

A little background:

This is my second 4910 as my first began randomly exhibiting green vertical lines (with the image behind it being purple) upon power up. The unit performed fine for 9 months before this occurred. JVC replaced the projector in late December. It has worked flawlessly until last week when this happened. All settings, cabling and sources have remained the same.

After the second occurrence I switched over to HDMI input 1. It has only been a few days so I am not sure whether that will make a difference. I hold my breath every time there is a resolution change. I have to say that I am not happy about this.

The replacement unit came with the latest firmware update however this behavior seems reminiscent of those exhibited by units before the firmware patch. I have been using JVC projectors for years but the HDMI issues with this series has left a sour taste in my mouth.


Any input would be appreciated.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 07-08-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #725 of 902 Old 07-08-2015, 05:59 PM
sr
Senior Member
 
sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Forest Hills, NY
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I set all my sources to fixed 1080p so the projector does not have to switch resolutions. If that does not work, feed a source directly into the projector bypassing your avr. This will at least start narrowing down the problem. When you received a replacement projector, was it a refurbished or new? Maybe you still have some warranty left on the unit.
sr is offline  
post #726 of 902 Old 07-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 11,745
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
I set all my sources to fixed 1080p so the projector does not have to switch resolutions. If that does not work, feed a source directly into the projector bypassing your avr. This will at least start narrowing down the problem. When you received a replacement projector, was it a refurbished or new? Maybe you still have some warranty left on the unit.
Greetings,

Thanks. Setting all sources to 1080p really doesn't solve the issue as there would still be the switch between 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 based material on Blu-ray.

There has been zero changes to my set up which has worked fine for 6 months, which is all the more reason for concern. The projector was a new replacement that is still under warranty. Another replacement would not only be inconvenient but the way things are going wouldn't carry any assurances against another problem.

For now I am using HDMI input 1 and have been since Sunday. We will see how things go over the next few weeks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #727 of 902 Old 07-09-2015, 01:06 PM
sr
Senior Member
 
sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Forest Hills, NY
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I feel your pain. I actually installed a Samsung 65" plasma TV behind the screen while my projector was out for repair. Now I have the added bonus of watching TV during the day.
sr is offline  
post #728 of 902 Old 07-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks. Setting all sources to 1080p really doesn't solve the issue as there would still be the switch between 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 based material on Blu-ray.

There has been zero changes to my set up which has worked fine for 6 months, which is all the more reason for concern. The projector was a new replacement that is still under warranty. Another replacement would not only be inconvenient but the way things are going wouldn't carry any assurances against another problem.

For now I am using HDMI input 1 and have been since Sunday. We will see how things go over the next few weeks.

Regards,
Ralph,

Have you tried my steps above?

I went through a very similar, if not the same, issue. The only way that I could resolve it was by disabling 4K scaling in every component except my JVC projector (which is actually recommended) & to disable CEC in every component including the projector. CEC is branded differently per manufacturer, but if you Google CEC and the manufacturer name, you should be able to figure out what they call it and where to find the setting. I did provide a link above that has a list of manufacturer CEC names.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 07-10-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
post #729 of 902 Old 07-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 11,745
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Ralph,

Have you tried my steps above?

I went through a very similar, if not the same, issue. The only way that I could resolve it was by disabling 4K scaling in every component except my JVC projector (which is actually recommended) & to disable CEC in every component including the projector. CEC is branded differently per manufacturer, but if you Google CEC and the manufacturer name, you should be able to figure out what they call it and where to find the setting. I did provide a link above that has a list of manufacturer CEC names.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Greetings,

Thanks for your input. I don't use the 4K setting on any of my sources or AVP. I have CEC disabled in all sources and my Marantz also. As I stated in my original post the unit performed without a hitch for nearly 6 months which frustrates and concerns me.

I hadn't changed any settings leading up to the problem but will double check. Thanks!


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #730 of 902 Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks for your input. I don't use the 4K setting on any of my sources or AVP. I have CEC disabled in all sources and my Marantz also. As I stated in my original post the unit performed without a hitch for nearly 6 months which frustrates and concerns me.

I hadn't changed any settings leading up to the problem but will double check. Thanks!


Regards,
No prob, anytime.

Your issue does seem strange since it just happened out of the blue without you making any recent changes. My issue had always been present from day 1, albeit intermittent. Do you think one of your components automatically upgraded its firmware, and that changed one or more settings? All HDMI cables seated properly, or might need to be unseated/reseated? Any power related issues lately that could've damaged one or more components?

Sorry, just throwing out ideas...cause I feel your pain.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
post #731 of 902 Old 07-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 11,745
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
No prob, anytime.

Your issue does seem strange since it just happened out of the blue without you making any recent changes. My issue had always been present from day 1, albeit intermittent. Do you think one of your components automatically upgraded its firmware, and that changed one or more settings? All HDMI cables seated properly, or might need to be unseated/reseated? Any power related issues lately that could've damaged one or more components?

Sorry, just throwing out ideas...cause I feel your pain.
Greetings,

No settings changes have occurred. As for the HDMI cabling, I checked them after the first occurrence which happened while switching inputs from my Tivo to my BD player. The second occurrence happened when I pressed stop on my BD player and there was a resolution change from 1080p/24 to 1080p/60.

No power related problems.

Again thanks for your input. We'll see how things progress..


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #732 of 902 Old 07-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

No settings changes have occurred. As for the HDMI cabling, I checked them after the first occurrence which happened while switching inputs from my Tivo to my BD player. The second occurrence happened when I pressed stop on my BD player and there was a resolution change from 1080p/24 to 1080p/60.

No power related problems.

Again thanks for your input. We'll see how things progress..


Regards,
Ok, please let us know your findings.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
post #733 of 902 Old 07-10-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nightfly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

No settings changes have occurred. As for the HDMI cabling, I checked them after the first occurrence which happened while switching inputs from my Tivo to my BD player. The second occurrence happened when I pressed stop on my BD player and there was a resolution change from 1080p/24 to 1080p/60.

No power related problems.

Again thanks for your input. We'll see how things progress..


Regards,
I think you're heading towards your third 4910. Do you have good clean electricity? Once you get yours repaired/replaced, put a line conditioner or UPS between the PJ and the wall to help minimize power surge issues. I only mention that as you what could explain getting two faulty units? One sure, but two? I remember way back in the 4500 or earlier days that it was stated that the JVCs are or were power line sensitive.

Last edited by nightfly85; 07-10-2015 at 06:21 PM.
nightfly85 is offline  
post #734 of 902 Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 11,745
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post
I think you're heading towards your third 4910. Do you have good clean electricity? Once you get yours repaired/replaced, put a line conditioner or UPS between the PJ and the wall to help minimize power surge issues. I only mention that as you what could explain getting two faulty units? One sure, but two? I remember way back in the 4500 or earlier days that it was stated that the JVCs are or were power line sensitive.
Greetings,

Thanks but the projector has been connected to a Line condition/voltage regulator/UPS from day one. I have been using JVC projectors for years and each has been connected to power the same way.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #735 of 902 Old 07-11-2015, 06:58 AM
Member
 
vincz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This JVC x500 is great, i use with scaler 2041 and oppo 103 full linear

do you think Sony VW500 can be better with same material? specially with contrast
vincz is offline  
post #736 of 902 Old 07-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincz View Post
This JVC x500 is great, i use with scaler 2041 and oppo 103 full linear

do you think Sony VW500 can be better with same material? specially with contrast
If "same material" is very dark content (say 0-25 APL just to keep it simple), then JVC has little to no competition in the native contrast area of overall picture quality. If "same material" is 25-100 APL, then the Sony may have slightly better contrast due to SXRD LCoS chips inherently having better ANSI contrast than DiLA LCoS chips. Will you be able to notice this outside of a direct A/B brightness matched comparison? Doubtful.

They are both excellent projectors and both have pros and cons and will work better in different viewing environments. It's really a loaded question as the room/viewing environment will dictate which projector will work best for you.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
post #737 of 902 Old 07-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,781
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincz View Post
This JVC x500 is great, i use with scaler 2041 and oppo 103 full linear

do you think Sony VW500 can be better with same material? specially with contrast

With contrast, no. Brightness - yes. Like Mr. Hatcher said, it really depends on your room, screen size, and whether you value contrast above all other considerations, or brightness. I do like good contrast, but I really enjoy a blazing bright picture - which my VW600 gives me !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #738 of 902 Old 07-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Member
 
vincz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you
i think also depending room the environment Sony is probably better in dedicated cinema room but if you use in your simply home with a white environment, JVC is possible a good choice
any news for a future JVC in a real 4k native ?
vincz is offline  
post #739 of 902 Old 07-13-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 20,865
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
I've had a question for a while. Has anyone tried/compared the MPC "Inverse Telecine" mode to native 1080p24 input? I've wondered (but haven't tried yet) if setting my Lumagen to 1080p60 output but turning on the MPC "Inverse Telecine" mode would be equivalent to switching to 1080p24 output, but without the HDMI sync time/interruptions.
stanger89 is offline  
post #740 of 902 Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,781
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincz View Post
Thank you
i think also depending room the environment Sony is probably better in dedicated cinema room but if you use in your simply home with a white environment, JVC is possible a good choice
any news for a future JVC in a real 4k native ?

Every projector is better in a dedicated cinema room. In a " white environment " I'd go with the brighter projector, since you won't be able to take advantage of superior contrast - it will get washed out. If it's a really white bright room, get a TV.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #741 of 902 Old 07-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Member
 
vincz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TV , oh no .. WTF ;-)
i use 2 screen in a white environment
one of my screen is fix (oray) and the other is motorised (size: 2m80 xtrem daylight 0.9)
you can see here, not necessary absolutly to have a dedicated cinema room, that's great :
and

possible to upgrade Sony VW500 to VW600 with firmware or technology is completly different?

Last edited by vincz; 07-13-2015 at 05:29 PM.
vincz is offline  
post #742 of 902 Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Every projector is better in a dedicated cinema room. In a " white environment " I'd go with the brighter projector, since you won't be able to take advantage of superior contrast - it will get washed out. If it's a really white bright room, get a TV.
What he said, but I would like to add that if you have good light control and your room isn't all white then you can use an ambient light rejecting screen paired with a bright projector such as the Sony and get a very nice image. For instance, I have a JVC X700 and 120" DNP 23-23 (2.3 gain ALR screen) and I get a nice image with lights on and a super bright and contrasty image with the lights off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincz View Post
Possible to upgrade Sony VW500 to VW600 with firmware or technology is completely different?
Nope, same projector different market (VW500 Europe, VW600 US).

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 07-14-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
post #743 of 902 Old 07-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Kir
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I experience the following problem: if the PJ (JVC X500R) is up before the video source booted up, there is no signal on the screen. Switching inputs etc. does not help. Unplugging the HDMI cable anywhere along the chain forces the PJ to synchronize, and then all is OK.
Is it considered "normal"?
Kir is offline  
post #744 of 902 Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir View Post
I experience the following problem: if the PJ (JVC X500R) is up before the video source booted up, there is no signal on the screen. Switching inputs etc. does not help. Unplugging the HDMI cable anywhere along the chain forces the PJ to synchronize, and then all is OK.
Is it considered "normal"?
It's a known issue, but I don't have this problem. I do use a Harmony remote and have delays programmed in to turn on AVR first, projector second, source third.

Have you flashed the latest firmware r1211.6?

How long is your HDMI cable run from your AVR to your PJ? If it's 30'+ you might want to try an active-HDMI cable such as ones with Redmere technology.

Which input on the back of the projector are you utilizing? Have you tried 1 & 2?

Also, be sure you disable 4K scaling in every component in your video chain, except your projector (well use of MPC is up to you, I like it). And disable CEC in all components.

Try these things in order of easy to difficult / cheap to expensive and see if it helps. It can be a pain to get it all working properly, and we shouldn't have to go through this headache, but it is what it is unfortunately.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
post #745 of 902 Old 07-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I've had a question for a while. Has anyone tried/compared the MPC "Inverse Telecine" mode to native 1080p24 input? I've wondered (but haven't tried yet) if setting my Lumagen to 1080p60 output but turning on the MPC "Inverse Telecine" mode would be equivalent to switching to 1080p24 output, but without the HDMI sync time/interruptions.
I'm curious about this too; I assume it will still cause renegotiation across the HDMI chain if you're doing this with a Lumagen but maybe for same refresh/resolution sync the projector will behave more kindly? I suppose I should try this on my Oppo 103D with forced 60Hz output when using the HDMI input from my TiVo mini (for Darbee processing).

I'm interested in this result for two reasons: (1) like you, mitigating interruption due to 24/60 refresh rate changes, but also (2) that the JVC panel runs at 120Hz refresh for 60Hz input and if inverse telecine on 60p is indistinguishable with native 24p input then the LCoS panel refresh flicker (60Hz for 60p signal, 48Hz for 24p signal) can be mitigated. The trick then is to enable/disable inverse telecine based on the input signal -- with a Radiance 2xxx I suppose a control system could be notified of the original input signal refresh and automatically enable/disable inverse telecine on the JVC.
jjcook is offline  
post #746 of 902 Old 07-15-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 20,865
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
I'm interested in this result for two reasons: (1) like you, mitigating interruption due to 24/60 refresh rate changes, but also (2) that the JVC panel runs at 120Hz refresh for 60Hz input and if inverse telecine on 60p is indistinguishable with native 24p input then the LCoS panel refresh flicker (60Hz for 60p signal, 48Hz for 24p signal) can be mitigated.
I never noticed any flicker with 24p input.

Quote:
The trick then is to enable/disable inverse telecine based on the input signal -- with a Radiance 2xxx I suppose a control system could be notified of the original input signal refresh and automatically enable/disable inverse telecine on the JVC.
I'm not sure you need to, I've left it on (accidentally) and haven't ever noticed any ill effects. Of course that's half my question, does it ever do anything? Has anyone used it and noticed it working? Maybe it works really well and I just hardly ever watch actual 60p content.

I'll have to give it a try, there's some discussion here:
Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread

For my use I'm guessing there won't be much problem leaving it on all the time, and it sounds like you get the benefits of 24p input. I'll have to see how it all works. I have a similar issue as one of the posters. I have Kodi setup to automatically switch refresh rate, but I had to set it to 10+ second pause when it does that because it takes at least that long for everything to get going again.

Last edited by stanger89; 07-15-2015 at 11:19 AM.
stanger89 is offline  
post #747 of 902 Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,781
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir View Post
I experience the following problem: if the PJ (JVC X500R) is up before the video source booted up, there is no signal on the screen. Switching inputs etc. does not help. Unplugging the HDMI cable anywhere along the chain forces the PJ to synchronize, and then all is OK.
Is it considered "normal"?

This can happen with projectors other than JVC. My VW600 gets very angry if the source isn't turned on before the projector. Even my Sim Lumis can rarely have an HDMI lockup if the source isn't turned on first. I've just decided that it's easier to turn the projector on after everything else is powered on. Doing otherwise is like trying to fight City Hall.
Kir and Mr. Hatcher like this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #748 of 902 Old 07-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Member
 
ritech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I'm fairly sure my commentary will be discouraging, but I'm going through similar HDMI issues with my X500r.
I get an assortment of colorful screens (mostly sickening green with underlying fuzzies, or "no input" blue) at start-up or if, god-forbid, I try to manually select another input after a successful period of viewing. My startup failure rate is probably 20% of the time. My input switching failure is probably now 50%. Ugh. After either 1 or 2 restarts of everything, I can get back to viewing. Ugh.
<a> My JVC X500r was purchased in April 2014, and it came with firmware R1211.1 I have not upgraded firmware . . . Mac person only, so process looks onerous. I'm also not sure whether HDMI (or other relevant) issues are addressed in the firmware upgrade, so I'm not in a rush to waste time or money chasing a dead-end. I can be convinced otherwise.
<b>I operate using Pioneer SC-71, output HDMI 1, input into JVC HDMI 2. Cables are ACCELL approx 20ft. (no other info available.) There are times it seems the Pioneer may be the issue. But, I think psychosis is setting in.
<c> Input into Pioneer is new Oppo103D (upgraded from Sony S6200, then S6500 in an effort to stop these HDMI issues). The Oppo provides the most reliable connection I've had in these periods of HDMI unrest, but it's not THE cure. Other Input is DirecTV and it is gone from the most reliable input to the least reliable input.
<d> Output setting are FIXED at 1080P when possible (Oppo, Pioneer) or left at auto (DirecTv) when I'd prefer the JVC doing the upscaling. [This is certainly punishing for me, but I'd love to find another solution to my problems.

I'm ready to (1) change cables, (2) upgrade firmware, (3) re-route inputs into-out of the Pioneer, Oppo, JVC, (4) insert magic gizmo into the chsin, (5) send it back to JVC . . . . but I'm looking for a cure, not just something to keep me busy.
Any advice? I'm losing it.
ritech is offline  
post #749 of 902 Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 11,745
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritech View Post
I'm fairly sure my commentary will be discouraging, but I'm going through similar HDMI issues with my X500r.
I get an assortment of colorful screens (mostly sickening green with underlying fuzzies, or "no input" blue) at start-up or if, god-forbid, I try to manually select another input after a successful period of viewing. My startup failure rate is probably 20% of the time. My input switching failure is probably now 50%. Ugh. After either 1 or 2 restarts of everything, I can get back to viewing. Ugh.
<a> My JVC X500r was purchased in April 2014, and it came with firmware R1211.1 I have not upgraded firmware . . . Mac person only, so process looks onerous. I'm also not sure whether HDMI (or other relevant) issues are addressed in the firmware upgrade, so I'm not in a rush to waste time or money chasing a dead-end. I can be convinced otherwise.
<b>I operate using Pioneer SC-71, output HDMI 1, input into JVC HDMI 2. Cables are ACCELL approx 20ft. (no other info available.) There are times it seems the Pioneer may be the issue. But, I think psychosis is setting in.
<c> Input into Pioneer is new Oppo103D (upgraded from Sony S6200, then S6500 in an effort to stop these HDMI issues). The Oppo provides the most reliable connection I've had in these periods of HDMI unrest, but it's not THE cure. Other Input is DirecTV and it is gone from the most reliable input to the least reliable input.
<d> Output setting are FIXED at 1080P when possible (Oppo, Pioneer) or left at auto (DirecTv) when I'd prefer the JVC doing the upscaling. [This is certainly punishing for me, but I'd love to find another solution to my problems.

I'm ready to (1) change cables, (2) upgrade firmware, (3) re-route inputs into-out of the Pioneer, Oppo, JVC, (4) insert magic gizmo into the chsin, (5) send it back to JVC . . . . but I'm looking for a cure, not just something to keep me busy.
Any advice? I'm losing it.

Greetings,

Updating to the latest firmware will resolve most if not all of your issues. I would recommend starting there.

Good luck!


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #750 of 902 Old 07-20-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritech View Post
I'm fairly sure my commentary will be discouraging, but I'm going through similar HDMI issues with my X500r.
I get an assortment of colorful screens (mostly sickening green with underlying fuzzies, or "no input" blue) at start-up or if, god-forbid, I try to manually select another input after a successful period of viewing. My startup failure rate is probably 20% of the time. My input switching failure is probably now 50%. Ugh. After either 1 or 2 restarts of everything, I can get back to viewing. Ugh.
<a> My JVC X500r was purchased in April 2014, and it came with firmware R1211.1 I have not upgraded firmware . . . Mac person only, so process looks onerous. I'm also not sure whether HDMI (or other relevant) issues are addressed in the firmware upgrade, so I'm not in a rush to waste time or money chasing a dead-end. I can be convinced otherwise.
<b>I operate using Pioneer SC-71, output HDMI 1, input into JVC HDMI 2. Cables are ACCELL approx 20ft. (no other info available.) There are times it seems the Pioneer may be the issue. But, I think psychosis is setting in.
<c> Input into Pioneer is new Oppo103D (upgraded from Sony S6200, then S6500 in an effort to stop these HDMI issues). The Oppo provides the most reliable connection I've had in these periods of HDMI unrest, but it's not THE cure. Other Input is DirecTV and it is gone from the most reliable input to the least reliable input.
<d> Output setting are FIXED at 1080P when possible (Oppo, Pioneer) or left at auto (DirecTv) when I'd prefer the JVC doing the upscaling. [This is certainly punishing for me, but I'd love to find another solution to my problems.

I'm ready to (1) change cables, (2) upgrade firmware, (3) re-route inputs into-out of the Pioneer, Oppo, JVC, (4) insert magic gizmo into the chsin, (5) send it back to JVC . . . . but I'm looking for a cure, not just something to keep me busy.
Any advice? I'm losing it.
Some or all of these steps may be required to totally resolve your issue:

It's a known issue, but I don't have this problem any longer. I do use a Harmony remote and have delays programmed in to turn on AVR first, projector second, source third.

Have you flashed the latest firmware r1211.6?

How long is your HDMI cable run from your AVR to your PJ? If it's 30'+ you might want to try an active-HDMI cable such as ones with Redmere technology.

Which input on the back of the projector are you utilizing? Have you tried 1 & 2?

Also, be sure you disable 4K scaling in every component in your video chain, except your projector (well use of MPC is up to you, I like it). And disable CEC in all components.

Try these things in order of easy to difficult / cheap to expensive and see if it helps. It can be a pain to get it all working properly, and we shouldn't have to go through this headache, but it is what it is unfortunately.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Mr. Hatcher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X700r , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla Rs66
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off