JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #751 of 766 Old 07-20-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritech View Post
I'm fairly sure my commentary will be discouraging, but I'm going through similar HDMI issues with my X500r.
I get an assortment of colorful screens (mostly sickening green with underlying fuzzies, or "no input" blue) at start-up or if, god-forbid, I try to manually select another input after a successful period of viewing. My startup failure rate is probably 20% of the time. My input switching failure is probably now 50%. Ugh. After either 1 or 2 restarts of everything, I can get back to viewing. Ugh.
<a> My JVC X500r was purchased in April 2014, and it came with firmware R1211.1 I have not upgraded firmware . . . Mac person only, so process looks onerous. I'm also not sure whether HDMI (or other relevant) issues are addressed in the firmware upgrade, so I'm not in a rush to waste time or money chasing a dead-end. I can be convinced otherwise.
<b>I operate using Pioneer SC-71, output HDMI 1, input into JVC HDMI 2. Cables are ACCELL approx 20ft. (no other info available.) There are times it seems the Pioneer may be the issue. But, I think psychosis is setting in.
<c> Input into Pioneer is new Oppo103D (upgraded from Sony S6200, then S6500 in an effort to stop these HDMI issues). The Oppo provides the most reliable connection I've had in these periods of HDMI unrest, but it's not THE cure. Other Input is DirecTV and it is gone from the most reliable input to the least reliable input.
<d> Output setting are FIXED at 1080P when possible (Oppo, Pioneer) or left at auto (DirecTv) when I'd prefer the JVC doing the upscaling. [This is certainly punishing for me, but I'd love to find another solution to my problems.

I'm ready to (1) change cables, (2) upgrade firmware, (3) re-route inputs into-out of the Pioneer, Oppo, JVC, (4) insert magic gizmo into the chsin, (5) send it back to JVC . . . . but I'm looking for a cure, not just something to keep me busy.
Any advice? I'm losing it.
Some or all of these steps may be required to totally resolve your issue:

It's a known issue, but I don't have this problem any longer. I do use a Harmony remote and have delays programmed in to turn on AVR first, projector second, source third.

Have you flashed the latest firmware r1211.6?

How long is your HDMI cable run from your AVR to your PJ? If it's 30'+ you might want to try an active-HDMI cable such as ones with Redmere technology.

Which input on the back of the projector are you utilizing? Have you tried 1 & 2?

Also, be sure you disable 4K scaling in every component in your video chain, except your projector (well use of MPC is up to you, I like it). And disable CEC in all components.

Try these things in order of easy to difficult / cheap to expensive and see if it helps. It can be a pain to get it all working properly, and we shouldn't have to go through this headache, but it is what it is unfortunately.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 766 Old 07-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
These suggestions are much appreciated.
I spent the afternoon connecting both Pioneer HDMI outputs to both JVC inputs. This should give me some flexibility.
I'm pretty sure none of my source outputs are scaled to 4K -- in fact most are forced to 1080p. I've spent time learning more about the Pioneer and defeated/nulled all of its video parameter settings.
I also checked my cables again: 20ft and labeled as 10.2 Gbps.
So far I've had no video hang-ups or lost connections today despite numerous input changes. . . . but I'm skeptical. I've been here before.
I'd love to upgrade the firmware. Has JVC offered a way to accomplish this without needing Windows and a serial cable? I've upgraded numerous device firmware, but this has me stumped. I really don't see learning to use a Windows computer in my future.

Is there someone in the Austin area who wants to sell their services. I've also yet to find a calibrator in this area. Maybe a more thorough project can be worked out. I'd prefer some expertise.
post #753 of 766 Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
These suggestions are much appreciated.
I spent the afternoon connecting both Pioneer HDMI outputs to both JVC inputs. This should give me some flexibility.
I'm pretty sure none of my source outputs are scaled to 4K -- in fact most are forced to 1080p. I've spent time learning more about the Pioneer and defeated/nulled all of its video parameter settings.
I also checked my cables again: 20ft and labeled as 10.2 Gbps.
So far I've had no video hang-ups or lost connections today despite numerous input changes. . . . but I'm skeptical. I've been here before.
I'd love to upgrade the firmware. Has JVC offered a way to accomplish this without needing Windows and a serial cable? I've upgraded numerous device firmware, but this has me stumped. I really don't see learning to use a Windows computer in my future.

Is there someone in the Austin area who wants to sell their services. I've also yet to find a calibrator in this area. Maybe a more thorough project can be worked out. I'd prefer some expertise.
You're welcome. I had the same problem as you. I still had the problem after upgrading my firmware, so I don't know if that helped any or not.

What did work for me after months of troubleshooting was disabling 4K scaling in all of my components, and just letting the projector handle that part. And disabling CEC in every component. Google search each component name (e.g., Pioneer Model # CEC, etc...) and disable it in every component, even the projector. CEC is labeled differently by pretty much every manufacturer so it takes a little research to even figure out what you're looking for.

This is what worked for me, but I also have the latest firmware as well so that could potentially play a role in my fix...can't say for sure though.

If this works, please report back and let us know so we can continue to provide others with a viable solution to this issue. If not, you may need to locate someone that can flash the update for you. I'd be happy to do it for you since I already have the windows machine, serial cable, and update package...but I'm in Florida.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #754 of 766 Old 07-21-2015, 12:29 PM

I'm really confused by the JVC support pages.

The JVC support/upgrade page I found using google (search terms: JVC x500r and firmware) ONLY lists one current download file: this is firmware R1211.1 which I already have. Also listed are these other target projectors including the xX500r. [Other projectors in the Firmware Download list are DLA-X900R, X700R, X500R, XC7880R,XC5880R, RS67, RS6710, RS57, RS4910, RS49.

However, if I follow the link provided earlier in this forum strand, I can find Firmware (r1211.6) Upgrade (6/26/2014) for these projectors: DLA-RS67/6710, DLA-RS49/RS4910, DLA-RS57. ONLY. No other projectors listed. You cannot find this page using a x500r search and the x500r is notably missing in any associated instructional materials even though we all seemingly conclude that these projectors are more similar than different (at least electronically).

Are we reaching an incorrect conclusion? Is the r1211.6 not intended for the x500r? Or is this simply an oversight at JVC support and someone got lazy doing the posting?

JVC should be clarifying these issues. They should be communicating better.
post #755 of 766 Old 07-21-2015, 02:04 PM

Upon review, I discovered that the r1211.6 firmware upgrade in listed only on the "PRO" projector pages. Yet, if these projectors are all using the same electronics, then there is another more hurtful explanation. Is this JVC's way of creating a class of owners . . . those who get support and those who don't? Nah . . . I'm just being paranoid. So, let me repeat, "JVC should be clarifying these issues. They should be communicating better."
post #756 of 766 Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Upon review, I discovered that the r1211.6 firmware upgrade in listed only on the "PRO" projector pages. Yet, if these projectors are all using the same electronics, then there is another more hurtful explanation. Is this JVC's way of creating a class of owners . . . those who get support and those who don't? Nah . . . I'm just being paranoid. So, let me repeat, "JVC should be clarifying these issues. They should be communicating better."
Yeah, they have different firmware versions on several different web pages for the same projectors. That's not a very reliable way of providing update links; in my opinion there should only be one central repository for all firmware. But hey, that would be asking too much.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #757 of 766 Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 PM

Thanks again.
It's reassuring that there is a r1211.6 firmware upgrade for the x500r. It's less reassuring that JVC continues to be so cavalier towards customers of a $5000 product. . . . . and I'm often asked about how loyal I am to certain brands or retailers. Geesh.

I am seeking help getting this update completed. I'll be back on the forum with updated info on my setup modifications until I'm problem-free. I'm also thinking of posting on my theater room door one of those factory signs, "No Accidents or Incidents for 1 Day", updating it regularly until I can achieve one successful month.
post #758 of 766 Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks again.
It's reassuring that there is a r1211.6 firmware upgrade for the x500r. It's less reassuring that JVC continues to be so cavalier towards customers of a $5000 product. . . . . and I'm often asked about how loyal I am to certain brands or retailers. Geesh.

I am seeking help getting this update completed. I'll be back on the forum with updated info on my setup modifications until I'm problem-free. I'm also thinking of posting on my theater room door one of those factory signs, "No Accidents or Incidents for 1 Day", updating it regularly until I can achieve one successful month.
Good luck, keep us posted!

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #759 of 766 Old Today, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My JVC X500 projector is back to break down, and is already the fourth time.

After a repair two months I will change the plate's HDMI ago, the projector has failed again and returned to Mostar image in red, as before. You can see in the accompanying photo.

This makes it regardless of having or not connected by HDMI sources.
Start red when after two or three hours running turn it off and turn it back to the hour and a half.

JVC In Spain they do not find the solution to the fault. I requested the change of this projector for another and I have responded with a resounding NO.

It seems they do not know what the breakdown. They say it is the only projector in this range that has that problem ...

For my part, I'll never buy a JVC projector.

Last edited by drdig; Today at 07:47 AM. Reason: photos
post #760 of 766 Old Today, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdig View Post
My JVC X500 projector is back to break down, and is already the fourth time.

After a repair two months I will change the plate's HDMI ago, the projector has failed again and returned to Mostar image in red, as before. You can see in the accompanying photo.

This makes it regardless of having or not connected by HDMI sources.
Start red when after two or three hours running turn it off and turn it back to the hour and a half.

JVC In Spain they do not find the solution to the fault. I requested the change of this projector for another and I have responded with a resounding NO.

It seems they do not know what the breakdown. They say it is the only projector in this range that has that problem ...

For my part, I'll never buy a JVC projector.

With the greatest respect, all I can say with certainty that I understand, is that there is something wrong with your projector. I really hope you get to the bottom of the issue and let us know what it was that was causing it. (I am particularly interested as I am considering buying one of these machines)
Best of luck buddy
post #761 of 766 Old Today, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftboy View Post
With the greatest respect, all I can say with certainty that I understand, is that there is something wrong with your projector. I really hope you get to the bottom of the issue and let us know what it was that was causing it. (I am particularly interested as I am considering buying one of these machines)
Best of luck buddy
OK.
I advise you not to buy this projector or any of JVC.
post #762 of 766 Old Today, 08:47 AM

I feel your pain DrDig, it's completely understandable under the circumstances. I've been running a JVC HD100 for the last few years and have been completely happy with it - in fact I'm thinking - why change something that's working perfectly - espescially when I read about problems such as yours. However, JVC really should sort your issue - are they saying they can find/reproduce your problem or that they cannot trace and fix it?
post #763 of 766 Old Today, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I feel your pain DrDig, it's completely understandable under the circumstances. I've been running a JVC HD100 for the last few years and have been completely happy with it - in fact I'm thinking - why change something that's working perfectly - espescially when I read about problems such as yours. However, JVC really should sort your issue - are they saying they can find/reproduce your problem or that they cannot trace and fix it?
Dear Loftboy,
JVC is not what it was.
The brand has significantly reduced the quality of the components in their projectors, and that's something you notice.
Notice above how many people have problems.
You can not consent to changes in source projectors 500, 700 and 900 are so slow, they are almost 10 seconds. Any other brand projector and this level makes the font change much faster.
Clearly, this range of JVC is bad, bad.
I'm sick of unresolved faults and poor finish product and lacking.
Personally, I will not give them another chance. As out the new Sony projectors me buy one.
Forgive my English and I use a translator.
post #764 of 766 Old Today, 09:10 AM

When I said I've been running an HD100 for a few years, on checking, I see it is 7 (seven) Yrs !!!
Clearly a lot has happened in that time - what a shame.
Right now the only thing bringing a smile to my face is your translator
post #765 of 766 Unread Today, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Best of luck buddy
I would wait until CEDIA 2015 before making any decisions, but I also would not let the issues people have been experiencing / reporting with last gen JVCs sway your purchasing decision. Imagine how many of these projectors have been sold and then imagine that in general, people only come on here to report issues (people don't generally get on AVS just to say they got a whatever brand projector and it's been working flawless for 5 years). I would say only 1-5% of the projectors sold have any sort of issue, which is within tolerance for manufacturing defects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdig View Post
OK.
I advise you not to buy this projector or any of JVC.
That's an unfortunate way to think, please read my above comment. JVC makes one of the best projectors on the market; the best if you're a black level fanatic like me. Trust me, I feel your pain and agree that JVC should fix your projector. Why haven't they? They can't just tell you they're not going to fix your projector. If it's outside of warranty then you have to pay to get it fixed. If you've had the same problem over and over and it started while the projector was still under warranty and you have each case you opened documented, then they should replace the projector or simply fix it.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #766 of 766 Unread Today, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Agree (with Ralph), and then next your HDMI cables (go directly from your source(s) to see which give the JVC fits, then if that fails try diff brand & lengths whilst not ruling out your switching devices in the chain; with the receiver being the highest root probability).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X700r , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla Rs66
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page