JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 600 Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I tried to watch Dredd in 3D, I am sure most will find the 3D just fine. However make no mistake my X500 shoots a stunning image in 2D. I watched Prometheus and District 9 last night after the Pats game and I was drooling. Really sharp full of detail and depth and just amazing shadow detail.

James Reid:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 600 Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Additional Info:

· The update will require a Windows computer (Has been tested with Windows 7).
· The computer will need to have an RS232 Serial connection.
· If the computer does not have an RS232 Serial connection, then a USB>RS232 Serial Adaptor will need to be purchased.
· You will need an RS232 Null Modem Cross Cable.
. Microsoft .NET framework program may need to be updated.

Hopefully the update will be released this week.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #93 of 600 Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Any compromises with these settings - any reason why this couldn't be considered a fix?

Unless the JVC fix also addresses the focusing issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTurbo View Post

I got an information on german Hifi Forum and tried it on my X500. Would be nice if anyone else can test it with HDMI problems.

Set the Inputlevel to "Standard" and Colour area to "YCbCr(4:4:4)" So remove the Auto settings. I tested yesterday 3 hours and never got a blank page....

Before doing this settings turn off projector and remove power cable for few seconds to have a complete reboot. Then do the changes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Holy Crap...I unplugged my RS4910 for ~5 min., plugged it back in, made the changes, and...for the first time since receiving it, I've able to view DirecTV , AppleTV, PS3, etc. instead of just my BD player. Only been on about 15 min. so lets hope this work around keeps it fixed until we get firmware updates. Question: Now since our projectors are smart pjs (hooked up to ethernet) why wouldn't they push the updates and install them in the background? (instead of hooking up to a serial PC...who even has one of those anymore?!?).

Noah
post #94 of 600 Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is this expected to be done at customers' cost and inconvenience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Additional Info:

· If the computer does not have an RS232 Serial connection, then a USB>RS232 Serial Adaptor will need to be purchased.

Noah
post #95 of 600 Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Any compromises with these settings - any reason why this couldn't be considered a fix?

It probably depends on your setup. I tried it tonight and it seems to work, but its hard to say for sure. I've had good runs without lockups without doing this, so I can't say because I tried this and did some switching and didn't have lockups that it works. I maybe have just been lucky again. But there may be something to this. If you're having significant regular lockups you should definitely try it.

However, I use the PS3 and switching from auto to YCbCr makes the main menu screen look a mess with colors all screwed up. So, for me at least, this may be a temporary band aide to help prevent too many power cycles, but I certainly wouldn't call it a fix.

Hopefully the fix Mike is telling us JVC is working out wont be too difficult to install myself.
post #96 of 600 Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 PM

Liked: 12
Sean, if you have picture faults try to set the PS3 from RGB to YCbCr and then picture should be fine. It's important to have player and projector on same settings.
post #97 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Additional Info:

This is the usual JVC firm update procedure.

So they decided to let the end users to do it themselves?

If yes, what about the ''two-stage process'' mentioned before?

Is there a possibility this to be a ''not final / 100%'' solution and a hardware fix to be needed?
post #98 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Better wait for the official answer from JVC regarding the procedure to follow.
post #99 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

No, as with these settings the eshift is locked to the ON position and the motion doesn't look quite right. But hey, I do get a picture!

As for the user updates via null modem cable...why the heck include an ethernet input if you're not fully prepared to take advantage of it?
post #100 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTurbo View Post

Sean, if you have picture faults try to set the PS3 from RGB to YCbCr and then picture should be fine. It's important to have player and projector on same settings.

That doesn't work. At least for 422. If the PS3 is set to YCrCb and the projector is set to YCrCb 422, it still gets the messed up menu screen (which can be fixed by putting the projector back to auto or RGB).

I'll try the projector at 444 just to be sure, but would really rather not use that since its not getting a 444 signal.

Either way, it seems like it adds stability for times when I may want to go "disc hopping", but I'm still looking forward to just having the issue eliminated with JVC's fix.
post #101 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Lumagen owners use a set up like this to do updates to the Lumagen. The Lumagen uses a 9 pin DB9 serial connector to input software and since most computers don't have a 9 pin output, a USB to RS232 converter is needed. The way these things work (a 9 pin in out is that pin one on the computer side talks to pin 2 on the Lumagen etc , so that a pin to the same number pin nine pin cable won't work, a null modem cable is required. All available at your local Radio Shack but cheaper by mail. Not all usb to db9 converters are created equally so a list of what is known to work would be helpful.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #102 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 AM

Liked: 12
When i test 4:2:2 bluray still works fine but TV (VU+ box) don't get a picture. On 4:4:4 all works (i know that bluray player or Vu+ will not send 4:4:4 signals) and the X500 runs stable.... I am waiting too for instructions for the fix. Hope i can do it by myself.... if all people send the projectors to service it will maybe take a long time to get it back? Maybe it's better to wait if there won't be a second patch few days later?
post #103 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What's the least costly cable solution for those of us who do not own a Lumagen? I have a USB to serial adapter, however it's probably not a null modem model. (Whatever that is)
post #104 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A non null cable would be one where the pins at each end of the cable are connected directly to their opposite number. Pin 1 to Pin 1, Pin 2 to Pin 2, and so on. A box type USB to RS232 converter will have an output with nine pins. You hook up a null modem cable to that. Pin one on one end goes to pin 2 on the other. The cable itself must cost $15 at radio Shack. On line it might cost $3. Just buy a null modem cable with db9 connectors at both ends.

If you don't already have a converter, buy a cable with the converter chip built in. links have been posted for such a cable. Under $30 but you could search for the cheapest price, probably a company shipping direct from china.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #105 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

post #106 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. That will work fine.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #107 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

As for the user updates via null modem cable...why the heck include an ethernet input if you're not fully prepared to take advantage of it?

I have wondered about this as well since my 45 has an ethernet input also and maybe my 40 before it (cant remember). Apparently there is a reason they don't or cant do the updates via ethernet (which would be much easier and cheaper for the user), but I am curious what it is if anyone happens to know?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #108 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I have wondered about this as well since my 45 has an ethernet input also and maybe my 40 before it (cant remember). Apparently there is a reason they don't or cant do the updates via ethernet (which would be much easier and cheaper for the user), but I am curious what it is if anyone happens to know?

To drive you crazy. What is the big deal. So you have to spend $23 or less bucks to buy a cable with everything you need built in. It is what it is. A better discussion would be why can't you buy it in white. Or better yet, why did the problem happen and what will they do next year to avoid problems like this. All that has happened was there was a glitch and early adopters needed to buy a special cable for under $30 shipped and do a download to fix it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #109 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

To drive you crazy. What is the big deal. So you have to spend $23 or less bucks to buy a cable with everything you need built in. It is what it is. A better discussion would be why can't you buy it in white. Or better yet, why did the problem happen and what will they do next year to avoid problems like this. All that has happened was there was a glitch and early adopters needed to buy a special cable for under $30 shipped and do a download to fix it.

I would argue that JVC should supply the cable in this case.....~$20 is still $20 the consumer should not have to spend for their screw up.

As far as the ethernet question goes, it is a valid question since it would be MUCH easier and cheaper for most to just plug in an ethernet cable and do the update that way vs dragging a computer to your projector (hopefully everyone has a laptop or you will have to drag your projector to your desktop or your desktop to your projector which is what I had to do to update the FW in either my 40 or 45........PITA mad.gif ) buying a null modem cable, etc...... I am sure there is a very good reason JVC does not do it the more user friendly way (ethernet) and a few of us are just curious why that is? Do you know Mark or does anyone else know?

Also, and again this is just me, but if people are going to go through the hassle of doing the FW update, did JVC fix the focus bug where eshift turns on? Will that be included in this FW update? I would not want to go through this clumsy FW update procedure more times than I have to, so it would be nice if this fix (and the other bugs mentioned like the 2d to 3d issue) and the other bugs were squashed with this update as well.
cardoski likes this.

post #110 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

I think it is more than reasonable to expect some complaining over this issue. 5 thousand plus is a massive amount to spend on a product only to have to be saddled with issues and further out of pocket expense.Luckily it is only 30 bucks, but after saving for almost 2 years to get these projector spending more is annoying.
Toe likes this.

post #111 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As a lumagen owner, I just keep the cable attached to my lumagen and invite 6 strong friends over to help me carry the laptop to the Lumagen. lumagen updates are frequent. Like I say cheat. Buy the cable, use it, and then return it. I wouldn't do that of course myself. and I just don't bitch about 20 or $30 bucks. Nor would I go to war expecting someone else to pay for it. I am not going to get you to agree but you are not going to get me to agree the other way. At least all can increase their post count and get thumbs up from others pissed about spending $30 bucks for something they paid a lot for. I would just be happy about being able to fix it yourself, quickly, and with only a little expense.

My guess is that the only thing fixed is the HDMI bug issue but I don't know. It really isn't a big deal to update software using a cable like the one required.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #112 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As a lumagen owner, I just keep the cable attached to my lumagen and invite 6 strong friends over to help me carry the laptop to the Lumagen. lumagen updates are frequent. Like I say cheat. Buy the cable, use it, and then return it. I wouldn't do that of course myself. and I just don't bitch about 20 or $30 bucks. Nor would I go to war expecting someone else to pay for it. I am not going to get you to agree but you are not going to get me to agree the other way. At least all can increase their post count and get thumbs up from others pissed about spending $30 bucks for something they paid a lot for. I would just be happy about being able to fix it yourself, quickly, and with only a little expense.

My guess is that the only thing fixed is the HDMI bug issue but I don't know. It really isn't a big deal to update software using a cable like the one required.

This is a thread about issues with our Projectors, so a little complaining goes with the thread. No one is freaking out and screaming, just expressing slight annoyance. And yes I am happy I can fix it on my own.

post #113 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Ordered the cable for $23.00 on Amazon. Got a stellar deal on the projector during the pre-release pricing period. I'm not expecting anything other than a properly working unit and updates that I can install myself to correct any issues. wink.gif
post #114 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Damn. Two reasonable response. TOE We need some balance. After all this is the internet. smile.gif
cardoski likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #115 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Is the the correct cable?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY/ref=ox_ya_os_product

For those that have straight DB9 and don't want to waste money buying another you could always use this converter:

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-08075-Adapter/dp/B000067RW2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389641746&sr=1-2&keywords=null+adapter+db9

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #116 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Is the the correct cable?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I tried searching Monoprice but came up empty; someone else want to try?

Noah
post #117 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried searching Monoprice but came up empty; someone else want to try?

Just order the one from Amazon I referenced. There were 13 more available after I placed my order.
post #118 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Damn. Two reasonable response. TOE We need some balance. After all this is the internet. smile.gif

Balancing out your political BS is why I am here Mark! eek.giftongue.gif

You are right on one thing, we wont agree on this. Of course it's not the end of the world and of course it's great JVC made this update available for the user to do, but the customer having to take any more money out of pocket due to their screw up (especially in light of what an inconvenience this issue has been already for many) doesn't sit right with me on principle, that's all. Fortunately I have not bought one yet and by the time I do, they will be fully functional without having to deal with this BS. It would also be nice if the update addressed the other issues while people are going through the hassle so they don't have to do it again hopefully.

I am STILL curious what the ethernet port is for and why that cant be used for these updates which would be MUCH easier and cheaper for most. Believe it or not, not everyone owns a laptop to make this procedure easier (I had to unhook and drag my desktop down to the HT to do mine a few years back which was a lot of fun) and I am just going to venture a guess that the vast majority of people have an ethernet cable lying around and at the same time the vast majority do not have a null modem cable. Again, I am sure there is good reason whey they cant or don't use the ethernet port for the update, but I am extremely curious why.

post #119 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I am STILL curious what the ethernet port is for and why that cant be used for these updates which would be MUCH easier and cheaper for most. Believe it or not, not everyone owns a laptop to make this procedure easier (I had to unhook and drag my desktop down to the HT to do mine a few years back which was a lot of fun) and I am just going to venture a guess that the vast majority of people have an ethernet cable lying around and at the same time the vast majority do not have a null modem cable. Again, I am sure there is good reason whey they cant or don't use the ethernet port for the update, but I am extremely curious why.

I can't speak as to why JVC doesn't currently use the Ethernet port for updates (wish they did); however, one purpose for the existing port is to allow the iOS application to communicate with and control the projector. I'm not sure if the newest version has been released yet though as when I tried to use the iPad application I had been using on my X55 the I got a message saying it wasn't compatible. Has anyone got the app (or an update) working with the new models? The iTunes store says the D-ILA_Remote app was last updated one year ago so it looks like they need to push out an update. I wish they'd come out with an Android version as well...

One other possibility in the future for existing Cat 6 runs to projector locations is HDBaseT connectivity instead of HDMI for future models (assuming a future revision will support 4K over 60Hz as the current 2.0 spec is only 4K over 30Hz).
post #120 of 600 Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post

I can't speak as to why JVC doesn't currently use the Ethernet port for updates (wish they did); however, one purpose for the existing port is to allow the iOS application to communicate with and control the projector.

Good info, thanks!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X700r , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla Rs66
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page