JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I spent some more time with the prolific USB -> serial cable that I use for my Cisco gear, the lumagen and previously flashing the JVC. changing different baud rates and tried this work-around as well without success:

http://forum.flashmagictool.com/index.php?topic=4149.0

same error with the autobaud error. It might be something with this particular application.

I decided to switch over to my Dell Optiplex 755 w/ Win 7 which has several serial ports built in. it worked perfect using the instructions.

flash.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

2nd process ran fine, the projector booted fine afterwards. I didn't realize my mede8ter was on a still frame in MvA 3D so it went right into 3D mode. I pulled the HDMI cable out (guaranteed to lock it up before), screen went blue, plugged it back in, back to the 3D image. looks like a good start. once I test the mede8ter i'll check out the lumagen 2041 I was having issues with before.

flash1.jpg

it looks like YMMV with the USB -> serial adapters, I've used this for countless setups before including flashing the JVC RS55. for some reason this particular flash software is not pleased with this adapter.

the old school serial port on my Optiplex 755 saved the day.
post #183 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Jebus I'm glad I'm not attempting any of this!

I look forward to your finally (hopefully) being able to get the Lumagen working with the JVC. (Says prayers).
post #184 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just did my showroom projector "x700" and everything works good now, although the update process was a BIATCH!!!!!
took about an hour of work arounds on my laptops...
post #185 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

And you checked what the port itself is set to by going into the device manager and setting it under the properties of the device? Sometimes there is a software/hardware mismatch that can cause abnormalities. There seems to be an issue like this if you're getting a baud type issue. Not quite sure what "autobaud" is.
Seegs, good call, there was a baud rate mismatch between the firmware program and the adapter driver, but it still didn't work because I got a different error this time ("Failed to read the device signature (Unable to communicate. (transmit/receive)). Accessing a device using the wrong protocol could render the device unusable. Do you want to continue?"). Because I still have some sense, I clicked No. I got this error both in my VM and Boot Camp.

Thanks for trying to help. And I apologize for being an a$$hole. I still hope it's the cable. smile.gif
post #186 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Sounds like its not a null modem cable. If not a null modem, you will get that message I think. Pin 1 on the source end sends to pin two on the receiving end and the receiving end sends from its pin 1 to pin 2 on the source end.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #187 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanchez33 View Post

Mike - thanks for posting the new firmware. I just did this update on my RS4910 and confirmed the new firmware version (r1210.3) shows up in the information menu. I used a null modem cable with an XP laptop that had a RS232 port. I have been testing (switching between various sources) for about 45 minutes now with no lockups. My screen just arrived so I will do some more testing after I get it setup / installed and report back if any lockups occur.

Nice to see some owners reporting success with the update. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #188 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Hmm, seems odd that it can't even communicate. I know when I had issues with that it was because the device was set to the wrong COM Port. I know it sounds stupid but many times Windows has other devices saved for certain ports even if they aren't connected, so when you plug in the StarTech cable it will set it to COM port # 4 or some other number higher than 1. Under the same Device Manager > Properties window for the device make sure it's using COM Port 1. If its not change it to that. If COM Port 1 is already taken you can change the Preference.ini file that comes with the JVC update to which ever port number the StarTech USB to DB9 cable is currently set to. You can see here that the update program is set by default to communicate on COM port 1, but you can change that number to which ever port Windows has your USB to Null Modem adapter set to. Change it and then save the file and try the update again. Hopefully that's all it is.

mark haflich and cardoski like this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
post #189 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You are right. That would cause that error message too. I am now betting that is the problem. You da man for helping.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #190 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Lets hope that works. I just remembered I can add on a com port to my motherboard, I think I will since it still appears useful.

James Reid:D
post #191 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM

Liked: 11
some tips when burning firmware:

-try not to touch the exposed pins on the JVC RS232 connector when plugging in the serial cable (static is high during winter)
-avoid using the computer or touching the cables during burn process
-stop any running programs that need a lot of CPU or disk access during burn
-make sure to tighten both thumbscrews on RS232 connectors after connecting
post #192 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, seems odd that it can't even communicate. I know when I had issues with that it was because the device was set to the wrong COM Port. I know it sounds stupid but many times Windows has other devices saved for certain ports even if they aren't connected, so when you plug in the StarTech cable it will set it to COM port # 4 or some other number higher than 1. Under the same Device Manager > Properties window for the device make sure it's using COM Port 1. If its not change it to that. If COM Port 1 is already taken you can change the Preference.ini file that comes with the JVC update to which ever port number the StarTech USB to DB9 cable is currently set to. You can see here that the update program is set by default to communicate on COM port 1, but you can change that number to which ever port Windows has your USB to Null Modem adapter set to. Change it and then save the file and try the update again. Hopefully that's all it is.

Thanks so much for trying to help but I'm still getting the same error as last time. I tried both changing the serial port to COM1 in Device Manager (it defaults to COM3) and changing the serial port to COM3 in the INI file. I also tried removing and reinstalling the Startech drivers and rebooted a few times. No dice. It's okay; hopefully the new cable will work and at least I won't feel like I wasted my money on that. smile.gif

I'll definitely post again when I get the new cable.
post #193 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Here's a link to the USB-to-RS232C adapter that JVC stated they have tested the procedure with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VYJRY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

I can say, I've used this adapter to update my Anthem Receiver's calibration setttings (all measurements are downloaded to your computer, then transferred to the receiver, which requires in the case of my laptop an adapter to the RS232C input on the back of the receiver). This adapter has worked perfectly each time I've used it. For a computer illiterate like myself, I need things to work right the first time (don't have the knowledge to create a work around wink.gif ).

Mike: excellent advice on waiting till others (who are more experienced than me) have successfully run the download through it's paces.

Ron

PS: Now I have two pieces of electronics that use the adapter...$24 well spent.

Right? Except Anthem includes these with their cheapest receivers, MRX300 which is only $999. (if they didn't you can get one free from your Anthem dealer)
post #194 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Most null modems are not female to female so a sex change adapter or two might be needed.

...and might well be covered under insurance in CA. Sorry...
krichter1 likes this.
post #195 of 645 Old 01-14-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Lets hope that works. I just remembered I can add on a com port to my motherboard, I think I will since it still appears useful.

I say cardoski wins "AVS Man of the Year" for souping up his home computer by adding an extra freakin' com ports to his mother board in order to install the update, talk about above and beyond. Geez you're making the rest of us look bad! wink.gif (and can ya do mine when you finish?)
cardoski likes this.
post #196 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 AM

Do you know if the upgrade works also on X500/X700/X900 séries not only on RS series.

Thanks !

Par Toutatis !
Asterix !
post #197 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 AM

I finally managed to do the update in my X700.

Prolific USB 2 RS232 + null model cable which I use for my Lumagen didn't work so I used an old PC with a serial port (with the same cable).

As mentioned before, when I tried the update with the Prolific (Win 8.1 64bit) I got the message ''cannot send data'' (not the ''autobaud'' one) and the PJ remained in programming mode (and couldn't get out even with power reset).

When I tried with the other PC I got the ''autobaud'' error and I freaked out.

I then tried to do again the procedure which gets JVC in programming mode (although it seemed to be already in programming mode / stucked in it actually - as mentioned above) - (power cable off - input button - power cable on) and magicflash ''waked up'' and performed the flash.

2nd stage flash, was the easy one.

I run some tests @ 24 - 60p with no problems (I haven't tried anything with the original firmware).

I didn't have the time to do 3D check.

Initial comments: The PJ rocks! (coming from an X-9).

Great light / contrast / punch.
post #198 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The conclusion for all this is that if you have a serial port on an old computer, use it with a null modem cable and things go quickly quickly and simply.

If you don't have a serial port, you will need a USB to serial converter with a db9 female out, and has been cross wired within you will obviate the need for a null modem cable extension which would cross wire it In any event, if you need an extension, the sending end would have to be the opposite sex of the output on the converter while the JVC send would be female.

Not all converters will work despite them working elsewhere, use a converter that other have used successfully here.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #199 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 AM

Liked: 24
Is there such thing as a cable with the right pins that is not a null modem cable? Considering I have a docking station with an RS232 port and I only need the cable - will every cable work?
post #200 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

If you look at JVC firmware install instructions, they recommend the Keyspan USB-to-RS232 adapter AND they state that a null modem cable is still required. In other words (and I'm surprised Mark hasn't said this yet), RTFM. tongue.gif[/quote

I did and all they say is "null modem cable" which is far from a complete spec of what is needed.

Noah
post #201 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For those looking to spend less, this will work too and is much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008634VJY

It also specifically states it's a "Null Modem" cable. When having to update the firmware on an old Sharp XV-Z20000 it also had to be a Null Modem cable and that cable worked perfectly fine. Just make sure you install the drivers. They come with the cable or they can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website here:

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/USB-to-Null-Modem-RS232-DB9-Serial-Adapter-Cable-DCE-FTDI~ICUSB232FTN

This cable was just delivered to me, hesitant to try think I will wait. Does this cable also require a Null Modem cable, is this simply a port?

post #202 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 318
As much of a PITA doing your own firmware update might be, it beats shipping the projector back to JVC, that's for sure ! wink.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #203 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can buy a serial cable (db9 pin connector) that is not null modem. Not null modem is pin 1 to pin 1, null modem is pin 1 to pin2, yada

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #204 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

This cable was just delivered to me, hesitant to try think I will wait. Does this cable also require a Null Modem cable, is this simply a port?

Mine gets delivered today but won't be able to try it until this weekend. Will be curious if it works for you.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #205 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

As much of a PITA doing your own firmware update might be, it beats shipping the projector back to JVC, that's for sure ! wink.gif

I agree, in fact it is a nice learning experience. I just want to be sure I get it right.smile.gif

post #206 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

the advice is to tread lightly while doing the update. Someone gave advice earlier to make sure all HDMI cables are unplugged from the projector, no other applications running on the PC, etc.

a failed update could leave the projector in a disabled state. It worked perfect with my serial port built into my Dell desktop but after the issues I had with the serial converter (that previously worked fine w/ my RS55), I would be hesitant to try any combo that JVC didn't specifically list in the update document.

imo, a real serial port is the best guarantee to make it work, worry free.
krichter1 likes this.
post #207 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 180
post #208 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you JVC for shipping units with HDMI issues. The DIY download fix presented a valuable learning experiences and now we all know about USB to DB 9 converters, null modem cables, com ports, yada yada. The experience was so valuable and now that we have the right stuff, could you please do something similar next year? Thanks in advance. I am sure you won't let us down. smile.gif
cardoski likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #209 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Certainly not going to accuse you of sucking up to JVC. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #210 of 645 Old 01-15-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Success!

I got my Tripp-Lite Keyspan USB-to-serial adapter (the one JVC recommends) and a Tripp-Lite null modem cable from Amazon today. I used them with my 2012 15" retina MacBook Pro running Windows 7 x64 through Boot Camp and the upgrade finally went off without a hitch.

Things of note:
1. The Startech adapter that's been recommended a few times did NOT work with my configuration. It might work with yours but it's easier to avoid headaches and buy the one JVC recommends.
2. Make sure you know what COM port your adapter is using; you'll need to know this for the first part of the update. You can see this by expanding the entry under Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT). Mine was COM4 FWIW.
3. Make sure the baud rate that the first firmware update program uses (57600 specified by JVC) and the baud rate specified by your adapter's settings match. Again, go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT), expand the tree, right-click on your device, click "Properties," click the "Port Settings" tab, then select 57600 from the "Bits per second" drop down (thanks Seegs!).
4. Don't forget to install the drivers for your adapter!

Other than that it was easy. In fact, if you have a good adapter, you shouldn't have any trouble. IMHO don't waste your time with the Startech adapter.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X700r , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla Rs66
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page