AVS Forum banner

JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems

123K views 903 replies 144 participants last post by  tanwn1 
#1 · (Edited)
If you have any of these projectors are experiencing HDMI issues please report in this thread with your Model # and specific issue.

FIRMWARE UPDATE r1211.6 JUNE 26, 2014!!!!

Firmware:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

Example (which happens to be true unfortunately)

I have the DLA-RS57 and the video is all garbled with and without HDMI input.

Problem occurred upon first power on with direct connection from HTPC.

I've tried the following:

Factory Reset (a couple of times)
Unplug and wait 15 minutes after normal power down.
Unplug and wait 30 minutes after normal power down.
Various combinations of HDMI 1 and HDMI 2

Pictures of my Issue:

EDIT:
It wasn't locking up at first but it is now. Nothing I do clears it up
. My issue is worst case scenario from what I gathered in the owners thread for the X500/X700.

UPDATE:
Currently no issues with firmware r1210.3

See less See more
#2 ·
Why do we need a separate thread for HDMI issues? The issues are minor and should be corrected via firmware update in the near future. I have a RS6710 and the screen does blank for 5-6 seconds while changing resolution/refresh rate or cycle through sources. I have yet to experience the hard lockup that other people are talking about.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniv  /t/1510259/jvc-dla-x500-dla-x700-dla-x900-rs49-rs57-rs67-hdmi-problems#post_24171944

Why do we need a separate thread for HDMI issues? The issues are minor and should be corrected via firmware update in the near future. I have a RS6710 and the screen does blank for 5-6 seconds while changing resolution/refresh rate or cycle through sources. I have yet to experience the hard lockup that other people are talking about.

Because:

1. The issues and troubleshooting have been spread throughout various owners threads, making it harder to coordinate troubleshooting and diagnosis of the issue.

2. This thread can be the "go to" place for information, for anyone having these issues, whatever model they have. It looks like most owners are going to experience these problems, and a single thread devoted to the issue is more helpful than having to wade through all the other discussions in various owner threads.

3. It allows us to collect all the issues together. For instance, not only are there HDMI problems, but there are other complaints like the focus being extremely hard to use because it seems some bug, or miscalculation, has led to E-shift automatically being turned on when focus is engaged, making it almost impossible to focus.

4. Any dealers wondering about these issues can go straight to this thread to see what other customers have been experiencing.

5. JVC who apparently can be aware of issues that come up on these forums, can go to this thread to see all the issues and bugs that are coming up. They might notice some in their own diagnostics, but miss others.

#4 ·
RS57.

Black screen and no image (source or projector menu). Typically when going from the BD at 24p to the PS3 menu at 60p after hitting stop.

It doesn't happen every time. I had a few good runs when I've gone 4-5 discs without a lockup. But it has happened quite a few times, including last night.

Requires power off, unplugging of the HDMI, and unplugging of projector to resolve.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniv  /t/1510259/jvc-dla-x500-dla-x700-dla-x900-rs49-rs57-rs67-hdmi-problems/0_50#post_24171944

My girlfriend called JVC Japan and spoke to customer service specifically for projectors and was told they have not heard of any issues and the rep took my number and told me someone would call me back while they investigate. 2 hours later I spoke to a gentleman that didn't speak good English and tried my best to explain the issues I was having and what others were having. The impression I got is no one knows anything and has not heard of anything and supposedly the gentleman was an expert on projectors. All I got was bad news, no parts available at any service centers (too new) but unlikely a hardware issue, maybe in my case but not the majority. Second, the designers were unaware of any problems. So I was pissed and made this thread. If enough people chime in ill forward it to JVC Japan and ensure everyone knows there is an issue.

I want this resolved ASAP, I don't have time to deal with this long term just want to enjoy my multi thousand dollar projector that I payed for. Issues happen and I'm good with that, but the first sign of "I'm sorry everyone I spoke to is unaware" line gets dropped, I'm raising the alarm and calling for support here.

#6 ·
JVC called me and said they have been working on a solution and would get back with me tomorrow. Once I hear back, I will report.

#7 ·

I called JVC yesterday about the HDMI issues and I was told that not all projectors received the proper firmware install and that the issues could be resolved in most cases by activating the factory settings before using the projector. 

Before committing to a final installation of my RS 4910 to replace my current JVC projector, the professional install company and I decided to TEST this "solution" at one of the company's locations. AFTER the factory reset and feeding the projector OPPO 103D 1080p and 4K video, as well as images and test pattern from their high end professional image generator at different resolutions, after initial success we experienced both a blank "BLUE" locked up screen, and sometimes a non-locked and locked video in the color "PURPLE" (did anybody else have purple screen issues?). We tried HDMI 1 and 2 inputs, different HDMI cable lengths using inexpensive media bridge cables as well as a $ 1000 cable, with similar results. Disconnecting the cables and power and rebooting would initially solve the problem. 

On top of that, our unit also could not focus the picture. The focus mechanism was clearly defective. So much for paying the extra bucks to get the "10" version of the RS49 for a QC check, ISF and 1 year of extra warranty. The extra quality check is clearly non-existent as apart from the hdmi issues that might not have been immediately obvious, a defective focus would have been. 

JVC really needs in addition to fixing the problems quickly, apologize to all their customers of whom many are repeat JVC projector buyers for this unacceptable widespread "screw up", and some form of compensation (partial refund or free JVC 3D glasses) as a goodwill gesture to all, but even more to those who paid the higher price for their "+10" versions for a QC check they paid for but did not receive.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniv  /t/1510259/jvc-dla-x500-dla-x700-dla-x900-rs49-rs57-rs67-hdmi-problems/0_50#post_24171944

That's rich. They're only "minor" to you because your projector isn't currently locking up nearly every time its input resolution changes.

Anyway, I have the HDMI issue with my projector (RS4910). Mine usually freezes after watching a 1080p24 or 1080p24(3D) movie and subsequently exiting out to my Oppo's Home menu (which is 1080p60). Sometimes I'll get a run of resolution changes where no lockups occur, but once the projector decides it can't resolve the incoming resolution, I have to pull the plug to get the projector to accept that resolution again.

#11 ·
I've got a question-Is there an owner of any model in the new series that hasn't experienced an HDMI issue? If so, please speak up!

#14 ·
It is also interesting to know :

- is a Factory reset already done

- Firmware version in case of...

- Feature like CMD or e-Shift, activated ?

- picture mode used

Perhaps we can fine tune the real causes of this matter...

#15 ·
My white X500 suffer from the HDMI HANDSHAKE Issue by going back to the player menu I'm getting dark screen and no more controls on the projector.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine  /t/1510259/jvc-dla-x500-dla-x700-dla-x900-rs49-rs57-rs67-hdmi-problems#post_24178152

My white X500 suffer from the HDMI HANDSHAKE Issue by going back to the player menu I'm getting dark screen and no more controls on the projector.

Did you try a Factory Reset ?

- deactivate e-shift

- deactivate CMD

? ? ?

#17 ·
All of this + change of sources and HDMI cable nothing works. cine4home have also discover a large amount of X series that suffer from the same Issue

#21 ·
I'm turning mine back tomorrow and won't take another one until I see a firmware update.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski  /t/1510259/jvc-dla-x500-dla-x700-dla-x900-rs49-rs57-rs67-hdmi-problems/0_50#post_24180720

Just had a new issue, after turning on the PJ from standby the remote began malfunctioning. It would not respond correctly and i was unable to move around the menus.

Also I am curious how much people had to adjust your fine convergence settings. I have no idea what the normal amount is. I am starting to wonder if I should send it back.
It varies from projector to projector and also depends upon lens shift and zoom (which is why there are multiple convergence memories). I got very lucky with my 4910 this time around -- it was about 3/8 pixel off with blue and 3/16 off with red -- pretty much over the entire screen. I touched it up with the global fine adjustment and it's good to go, but honestly I could've left it alone and generally wouldn't have even noticed from my seating position. Your eye is least sensitive to blue so I didn't fret over less than 1/2-pixel maximum error. I was pretty stoked that I didn't even need to use the zone adjustment feature.

This 4910 is the best sample in terms of convergence of the four JVCs I've had in my home.

My 4810 was off considerably more than this and I had to use the zone adjust pretty aggressively with that since the amount of error varied depending where you looked on the screen. That said, I was able to get it dialed in pretty well but it took some effort.

#25 ·
Glad to reassure you! I'm a stickler for good convergence so it was nice to get a unit this time around that was so good right out of the box. My old Sony VPL-VW60 had fine convergence adjustments, but only for the whole screen, so I was able to dial in the center of the image but the corners always looked out of whack. Like I said, my 4910 is the best of the bunch. The fact that JVC even provides a convergence adjustment feature is proof that it's exceedingly rare to find a projector that has absolutely "perfect" convergence.

Now, if we could only get some good news from JVC on the HDMI fix...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.