worthwhile upgrade HD87 to HW55ES? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A dealer has offered me a decent trade in price against the HW55ES. Just wondering if its much of a upgrade?

As always! Thanks for your advice smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would say to go for it if you are getting a good trade in. I think it will be an upgrade but the look will be different. I think that Sony probably provides the best mix of good native contrast and decent ANSI contrast on the market right now. The Optoma HD 87 is an underrated unit, so you probably won't get much response here. I have two HD87's setup for passive 3D so I am pretty familiar with it. If you value sharpness and ANSI contrast I doubt the Sony will be an upgrade. However, if you are a big movie watcher and like high on/off contrast I think the Sony will be nice plus it does 3D.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks for your advice!!. I love sharpness!, but thinking reality creation, mixed with a darbee can get as close!.

What a great setup you have there!!

smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Liked: 13
I think you are right Jaime. I think if I move away from DLP projection it would be to a Sony. The new Sony units seem to be pretty impressive. Good luck.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 AM

Liked: 10
THIS "dilemma" is akin to my aspirations. I very much wanted to take an Infocus IN83 but because its so rare, I've set my sight on the Optoma HD8600. But as its also hard to come by (except by buying a refurbished unit on eBay from a Canadian dealer for $4,000+), I have shifted my attention to the Sony ES55. This is the second time I'll try a non-DLP projector (my first detour was with an Epson and if not for its lens shift and brightness, I'd have sold it in weeks, LCD is just ugly) and if I'm going to foray into SXRD/LCOS it better be the ES55. The cheapest it could be had is UK, then Germany, the white chassis being the cheaper unit. Even going from the sample images from Projectorreviews, I was wowed by the ES55, it truly can compare, and even surpassed the most expensive DLPs - in sharpness and color. The Sony ES55 knocked out, even obliterate, my whimsical aspirations for the Mitsubishi HC7000, Infocus 8602, Planar 8150, and the upcoming Optoma HD91.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page