Epson 5030UB fan noise - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I thought I'd post this here, as concern over fan noise (in high/3D mode) was one of the reasons I was debating between the 5030UB and the Sony 55ES. My HT room is not large, and the projector is almost directly overhead the main seating area. While not noted as a major concern in the major reviews, it was nonetheless noted as more pronounced than some competitors. One poster in the 6030UB thread likened it to sounding like a 'Hair Dryer' - yikes!

I received the 5030UB today, and set it up for some preliminary testing. I was delighted to find that in high fan mode, I do not find the fan noise objectionable - at all. I tested with the PJ on a temporary box, with the exhaust about 12 inches down and to the left of my ear - pointed toward me. As noted by almost all, in low mode the fan is almost silent - but when I shifted to 3D viewing I was delighted to find the fan noise was simply a low pitched hushed sound of slightly greater intensity. I can't see it being even noticeable except in VERY quiet movie passages, and even then it's something I am almost certain I will not even notice after a short period of use.

So probably my biggest concern with this PJ turned out to be of no concern at all - and as far as the picture quality, brightness, etc., after very limited initial testing, I am delighted with what I've seen so far. Convergence and uniformity look excellent. I don't know if the fan noise was/is a sticking point for others still on the fence, but I thought I'd post this to share my experience with it.

Probably the only thing that surprised me is the noise made by the motorized protective lens cover, when it opens and closes during power on/off. That sounds like a noisy and cheap set of plastic gears each time it slides open or closed. Certainly not a show stopper, and they seem to work properly, but have any of you other owners noticed the same - perhaps I have a cover slightly off the tracks or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
I thought I'd post this here, as concern over fan noise (in high/3D mode) was one of the reasons I was debating between the 5030UB and the Sony 55ES. My HT room is not large, and the projector is almost directly overhead the main seating area. While not noted as a major concern in the major reviews, it was nonetheless noted as more pronounced than some competitors. One poster in the 6030UB thread likened it to sounding like a 'Hair Dryer' - yikes!<br><br>
I received the 5030UB today, and set it up for some preliminary testing. I was delighted to find that in high fan mode, I do not find the fan noise objectionable - at all. I tested with the PJ on a temporary box, with the exhaust about 12 inches down and to the left of my ear - pointed toward me. As noted by almost all, in low mode the fan is almost silent - but when I shifted to 3D viewing I was delighted to find the fan noise was simply a low pitched hushed sound of slightly greater intensity. I can't see it being even noticeable except in VERY quiet movie passages, and even then it's something I am almost certain I will not even notice after a short period of use.<br><br>
So probably my biggest concern with this PJ turned out to be of no concern at all - and as far as the picture quality, brightness, etc., after very limited initial testing, I am delighted with what I've seen so far. Convergence and uniformity look excellent. I don't know if the fan noise was/is a sticking point for others still on the fence, but I thought I'd post this to share my experience with it.<br><br>
Probably the only thing that surprised me is the noise made by the motorized protective lens cover, when it opens and closes during power on/off. That sounds like a noisy and cheap set of plastic gears each time it slides open or closed. Certainly not a show stopper, and they seem to work properly, but have any of you other owners noticed the same - perhaps I have a cover slightly off the tracks or something?
Hi :-)

I'm currently on the fence with the 5030UB (TW9200) regarding this issue, so it was nice to read your post!
Are you still happy with yours?
I was also wondering, if you noticed any change in fan noise, when/if using a ceiling mount?
Also, did I understand correctly, that it is NOT possible to watch 3D in eco lamp mode, even if the throw distance/general brightness allows it?

Thanx!!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumguf View Post
Hi :-)

I'm currently on the fence with the 5030UB (TW9200) regarding this issue, so it was nice to read your post!
Are you still happy with yours?
I was also wondering, if you noticed any change in fan noise, when/if using a ceiling mount?
Also, did I understand correctly, that it is NOT possible to watch 3D in eco lamp mode, even if the throw distance/general brightness allows it?

Thanx!!
Yes, I'm still very happy with the projector, and no, fan noise has never been an issue for me. The projector has always been ceiling mounted, and yes the fan runs faster on this model when the projector is inverted. No, you cannot watch 3D in low lamp mode - and would not want to, as using 3D glasses reduces visible brightness by a considerable amount. This projector actually produces a reasonably bright and clean 3D image, which is considered one of its strengths, and one of the reasons I bought it.

If you search the 5030UB thread, you'll find some people who find the 5030UB high lamp fan noise unacceptable, and others (like me) who consider it a non-issue. I'm not aware of anyone who has a problem with it in low lamp mode. I suggest you find somewhere that has the projector on display, put it into high lamp mode, and hear for yourself - keeping in mind that certain room designs and treatments are going to affect how it is perceived. You can toggle it between inverted/non inverted display modes and hear exactly how much the fan speed changes. Out of curiosity, I asked Epson about that, and their reply was it was by design - to ensure that the higher temps near a ceiling are accounted for.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, I was pleasantly surprised when I received the projector, after reading posts from people who claimed it was intolerably loud. Very subjective thing, that - best to listen to one yourself if you can. Good luck ...
post #4 of 7 Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I am also in the "fan noise is a non-issue" camp. Maybe some people are very sensitive, I don't know. The way some people talk, you think they had a 747 in their living room when they turned the 5030UB on. I have never found this to be the case. Even when I'm watching 3D movies and the fans are in full whirr, within seconds, I am fully focused on the movie I'm watching, and I don't notice the fan at all.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I am also in the "fan noise is a non-issue" camp. Maybe some people are very sensitive, I don't know. The way some people talk, you think they had a 747 in their living room when they turned the 5030UB on. I have never found this to be the case. Even when I'm watching 3D movies and the fans are in full whirr, within seconds, I am fully focused on the movie I'm watching, and I don't notice the fan at all.
+1
I'm in the same "camp". Mine is shelf mounted about 3' above and 1' to the rear of my head. Not a problem at all and I leave mine in high altitude (faster fan speed). When I tested it inverted I could hear the speed bump up a bit but nothing that would bother me.

Ed
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
+1
I'm in the same "camp". Mine is shelf mounted about 3' above and 1' to the rear of my head. Not a problem at all and I leave mine in high altitude (faster fan speed). When I tested it inverted I could hear the speed bump up a bit but nothing that would bother me.

Ed
Coming in a little late I know but I've had the 5030UB for close to 3 years and the fan has never bothered me. It's louder than other PJs maybe, but not annoying. Ceiling mounted 5 feet up and 1 foot back from my head. Maybe if it was on a table right next to me it'd be a problem in high lamp but I doubt it.

The mechanical shutters have always been loud on mine, but since that only happens when I turn it on and off I don't care In 3 years I have never had a problem with them. They also do a good job keeping dust out; my previous PJ I had to use a lens brush on every few months (it had a manual cap, but who has time for that for a ceiling mount that needs a stepladder) but I've done it exactly once on the 5030UB. My room isn't particularly dusty either, but even a small amount annoys me.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-20-2016, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You would have to be deaf not to notice the VERY LOUD fan noise of the 5030 in 3-D mode ... It's awful ... I got a new unit 10 days ago and was really put off by it ... you end up spending more time focused on the sound behind your head, than the sound coming from the front speakers.

The low fan mode = silence

The medium fan mode = a pleasant whir

but in high mode .... yikes ... I'm in a dedicated 16 by 20 room probably 7 feet from my head to the projector ...

I also agree that the opening and closing of the lens cover is a bizarre ... loud ... screams cheapness

projector puts out a very nice picture though ... so overall i am very happy with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030ub 3d 3lcd Projector With A Pair Of 3d Glasses
Gear in this thread