Epson 5030UB fan noise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I thought I'd post this here, as concern over fan noise (in high/3D mode) was one of the reasons I was debating between the 5030UB and the Sony 55ES. My HT room is not large, and the projector is almost directly overhead the main seating area. While not noted as a major concern in the major reviews, it was nonetheless noted as more pronounced than some competitors. One poster in the 6030UB thread likened it to sounding like a 'Hair Dryer' - yikes!

I received the 5030UB today, and set it up for some preliminary testing. I was delighted to find that in high fan mode, I do not find the fan noise objectionable - at all. I tested with the PJ on a temporary box, with the exhaust about 12 inches down and to the left of my ear - pointed toward me. As noted by almost all, in low mode the fan is almost silent - but when I shifted to 3D viewing I was delighted to find the fan noise was simply a low pitched hushed sound of slightly greater intensity. I can't see it being even noticeable except in VERY quiet movie passages, and even then it's something I am almost certain I will not even notice after a short period of use.

So probably my biggest concern with this PJ turned out to be of no concern at all - and as far as the picture quality, brightness, etc., after very limited initial testing, I am delighted with what I've seen so far. Convergence and uniformity look excellent. I don't know if the fan noise was/is a sticking point for others still on the fence, but I thought I'd post this to share my experience with it.

Probably the only thing that surprised me is the noise made by the motorized protective lens cover, when it opens and closes during power on/off. That sounds like a noisy and cheap set of plastic gears each time it slides open or closed. Certainly not a show stopper, and they seem to work properly, but have any of you other owners noticed the same - perhaps I have a cover slightly off the tracks or something?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030ub 3d 3lcd Projector With A Pair Of 3d Glasses
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page