Any chance JVC will release a refreshed entry level projector this spring? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Historically has JVC ever previously released refreshed models as they did this past fall, leaving out the entry level model? Does anybody think they'll release a refresh of the entry level model once they've sold through the initial demand for the x500/49?

I'm not all all interested in eshift and do not need any lens memory features, making the X500/49 (and even the entry level model to some degree) overkill for my setup and would prefer to save some money now to accomodate upgrading sooner to 4K once prices drop to nominal levels. That leaves me with having to go with the Sony HW55ES currently, but I'd hate to not consider JVC only to see an entry level model released in a few months.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
I think it is very unlikely. The competition doesn't really seem to be forcing their hand. I'm hoping to see a replacement for the RS46 at CEDIA next September and would be pretty surprised for them to announce a replacement before that timeframe.

Why the HW55 over the RS46? It doesn't seem like the HW55 is much different than the HW50. There are definitely reasons some would want to the Sony over the JVC, but is it mostly just that the Sony was released more recently, or the price difference?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #3 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
They wouldn't release another projector until next fall. You can safely bet the RS46 will be the only entry level projector from JVC this year.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I think it is very unlikely. The competition doesn't really seem to be forcing their hand. I'm hoping to see a replacement for the RS46 at CEDIA next September and would be pretty surprised for them to announce a replacement before that timeframe.

Why the HW55 over the RS46? It doesn't seem like the HW55 is much different than the HW50. There are definitely reasons some would want to the Sony over the JVC, but is it mostly just that the Sony was released more recently, or the price difference?

--Darin

I think it's mostly a psychological barrier for me. I have a very hard time paying the same price for last year's tech that I would have paid had I upgraded over a year ago. I'm not very comfortable with b-stock or used equipment either so I guess you could say I've put myself in a difficult spot to make a decision.

I'm honestly starting to feel like projectors are starting to lag behind flat panels technologically and it may be time for me to look at sacrificing some screen size in order to move back to a non-projection display. Last night I adjusted my projector down to a 70" image to see if I could get used to the smaller size. Man it's hard going backwards! Furthermore, I'm having a really hard time believing there's any point at all in moving to 4K on screen sizes < 100". biggrin.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 11:43 AM

Liked: 19
jmhart,

GET BACK TO WORK!! biggrin.gif

I remember seeing something saying they were keeping the 46 the same this year.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post

jmhart,

GET BACK TO WORK!! biggrin.gif

I remember seeing something saying they were keeping the 46 the same this year.

I'm multitasking! cool.gif

Yeah everything I can find says no update for the entry level this year, though if they were going to do refresh it mid-cycle they certainly wouldn't say anything ahead of time for fear of impacting X500/49 sales. I was just curious if they'd ever done any refreshes mid-cycle or if they only ever refresh in the fall (announce at CEDIA).
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 559
if this is about getting good quality on the cheap so you can upgrade sooner, the x35/rs46 seems like a no-brainer to me...

it's WAY cheaper than the hw55(at least here...) and like you said, is already a bit overkill for your needs.

i guess i have the opposite mental block as you do. i find it hard paying full price for a new product(hw55) when lasts years was good enough(or better). go bargain hunting for an x35 and save your money for the 4k projector you're already thinking about. if somehow you get teh hw55 for under 2500bux, then go that route. basically, buy whatever one you can get cheapest, since both will fullfill your needs for now

as far as jumping back to flat screens, again, i feel like i'm looking at it in the opposite way. i feel like flat panels have nothing left to offer. the ultra large sizes have poor picture quality(edgelit led's mostly) or cost as much as a good 3chip DLP. like you said, 4k makes no sense at smaller sizes either.

there may be more changes happening with flat panels, but they either don't make a lot of sense(4k and curved screens under 60") or aren't even really 'progress'(death of plasma, large screens that require you to built your house around them).

there's more 'fluff' to show at CES, but i think the substance is still in projectors. for me, it's a race between a foldable/rollable 100"+ OLED that's affordable, and good quality LED/laser based projectors. if the oled comes first, i won't have a need for a projector(maybe), if the led projector comes first, i won't have a need for a flat panel anymore(run dual projectors on one screen). as it is now, we're months, to maybe a year or two away from the led projector.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well I have not seen the Sony, but I just bought an RS46 in December and very happy with it. It compares favorably with the Epson 5030 which I have see. I don't know what tech it is really lacking unless your priorities shift towards 3D.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Probably zero chance of JVC coming out with a new projector before Cedia 2014.
Quote:
I'm not all all interested in eshift and do not need any lens memory features, making the X500/49 (and even the entry level model to some degree) overkill for my setup and would prefer to save some money now to accomodate upgrading sooner to 4K once prices drop to nominal levels.

What are " nominal levels " ? That could be 4 years from now, depending on your definition of " nominal ". Or longer.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page