Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good afternoon all.
I am a long time member who has been away for quite some time so I need a little direction. I have built a few Home Theaters with the last one being in 2004 (see old link in my signature). I am now in the middle of building another one and still have not decided on a projector. Ten years ago, I only used CRT projectors as I could not find a lamp driven projector to impress me. I have looked a t only a few projectors so far and I am happy to see they have come a long way in 10 years. I fell in love with the Sony VPL-VW95ES, however, I don’t think it will work with my set up.

Here is my criteria:
100% dark room and inky blacks are very important!
Constant height 2.35 screen (115”) – will be approx. 92” in 16:9 mode
Throw distance may need to be up to 19 - 20’
Must have lens memory
2D to 3D upconversion would be nice

From what I have read, the throw distance will rule out the Sony due to only having a 1.6 zoom. I am very interested in the new JVC DLA-X500R. Although I have not had the chance to see one in person, I have read a lot about it and it appears to meet all my criteria. I have also taken a strong interest in the Panasonic PT-AE8000 but mostly due to its price. It is less than half the price of the JVC. I fully realize the JVC may be the better projector and I believe the LCOS technology may be able to achieve better blacks that I am so used to with the CRT units I have owned. That being said it costs twice as much.

So my requests from the members here is:
Does anyone know where in the Atlanta area I could see a demo of these two units?
Does anyone see an issue with either of these two units regarding my criteria shown above?
Lastly, I know this is just an opinion, but is the JVC really worth double that of the Panasonic?

Thanks to all in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torre View Post

Good afternoon all.
I am a long time member who has been away for quite some time so I need a little direction. I have built a few Home Theaters with the last one being in 2004 (see old link in my signature). I am now in the middle of building another one and still have not decided on a projector. Ten years ago, I only used CRT projectors as I could not find a lamp driven projector to impress me. I have looked a t only a few projectors so far and I am happy to see they have come a long way in 10 years. I fell in love with the Sony VPL-VW95ES, however, I don’t think it will work with my set up.

Here is my criteria:
100% dark room and inky blacks are very important!
Constant height 2.35 screen (115”) – will be approx. 92” in 16:9 mode
Throw distance may need to be up to 19 - 20’
Must have lens memory
2D to 3D upconversion would be nice

From what I have read, the throw distance will rule out the Sony due to only having a 1.6 zoom. I am very interested in the new JVC DLA-X500R. Although I have not had the chance to see one in person, I have read a lot about it and it appears to meet all my criteria. I have also taken a strong interest in the Panasonic PT-AE8000 but mostly due to its price. It is less than half the price of the JVC. I fully realize the JVC may be the better projector and I believe the LCOS technology may be able to achieve better blacks that I am so used to with the CRT units I have owned. That being said it costs twice as much.

So my requests from the members here is:
Does anyone know where in the Atlanta area I could see a demo of these two units?
Does anyone see an issue with either of these two units regarding my criteria shown above?
Lastly, I know this is just an opinion, but is the JVC really worth double that of the Panasonic?

Thanks to all in advance!

Since you like inky blacks and came from a CRT, the JVC would be a much better choice over the Panny. Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply and I realize you are correct regarding the black level of the LCOS vs LCD but there is a lot I could do with the extra $2500 so I just want to be really sure its worth it.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torre View Post

Thanks for the reply and I realize you are correct regarding the black level of the LCOS vs LCD but there is a lot I could do with the extra $2500 so I just want to be really sure its worth it.

There is nothing you could buy or do for $2500 that would make the Panny absolute black level get anywhere close to the JVC (I just bought one). If you have the cash, pull the trigger. Oh, I cale from single chip DLP and the JVC is worlds sharper than the Panasonic (AE7000 at least), and motion has been fixed on the JVCs...they finally really improved almost everything to equal the quality of their black levels. If you are a black level fiend you will gasp during the first fade to black.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Honestly there is no competition here in any regard. The JVC is in a completely different league of picture quality in every way to the Panasonic. The 8000 is a solid budget projector, but it doesn't hold a candle to the X500.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #6 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 243
It sounds like you are already aiming for a high quality home theater experience, and care about picture quality. Further, it appears you keep your projectors for quite a while. Makes little sense to cheap out now. The Panasonic is an "ok" projector; the JVC is pretty much state of the art anywhere around it's price range, and is a particular bang-for-the-buck value right now. The better you buy now, the longer you may be happy with it, the less quality you opt for, the less amount of time you'll likely be happy with it. You've peeked in to see what
is possible in projectors; why not avail yourself of it, rather than choose a projector that is, relative to the JVC, generations behind in performance?

JVC. Obvious choice is obvious.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm sure I will probably be disapointed with the black level of the LCD.
Does anyone know where I can demo one of these projectors in the Atlanta area?
Thanks again.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Personally speaking I wouldn't even bother with the Panasonic. If you have the money the JVC is definitely the way to go. As Kris said, it won't even come close. Now, there isn't anything wrong with the Panasonic and it's a fine projector in it's own right, but the JVC is just that much better. Far better lens, far better native and now dynamic contrast, better dynamic iris implementation, a MUCH deeper black level, motion performance is at least on par with the Panasonic now, it's going to be brighter once calibrated, e-shift is a great feature, it's operating noise is quieter, ect. The list goes on and on. Like I said before, if you have the money, get the JVC and don't waste your time with the Panasonic.

Other than buying a JVC there are only a handful of other projectors that can compete with it's image quality in the under $20000 projector market. A few from Sony, and a few from Runco and Sim2.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Personally speaking I wouldn't even bother with the Panasonic. If you have the money the JVC is definitely the way to go. As Kris said, it won't even come close. Now, there isn't anything wrong with the Panasonic and it's a fine projector in it's own right, but the JVC is just that much better. Far better lens, far better native and now dynamic contrast, better dynamic iris implementation, a MUCH deeper black level, motion performance is at least on par with the Panasonic now, it's going to be brighter once calibrated, e-shift is a great feature, it's operating noise is quieter, ect. The list goes on and on. Like I said before, if you have the money, get the JVC and don't waste your time with the Panasonic.

Other than buying a JVC there are only a handful of other projectors that can compete with it's image quality in the under $20000 projector market. A few from Sony, and a few from Runco and Sim2.

Yes, I realize all the responses here are probably correct in that I will be wasting my time to even review the Panasonic but I need to see for myself myself what level of “black” these projectors can reproduce. Both of them. I’m not completely convinced the JVC will WOW me either.
Having come from CRT projectors, I know I may be somewhat disappointed. Just as a point of reference. During the opening scene of Toy Story 2 when Buzz infiltrates Zerg’s lair, there is the part where the “Z” opens in the floor, Buzz drops down and the “Z” slams shut.
When that “Z” slams shut, the CRT projector is 100% black and I mean you could not see your hand in front of your face black.
Thanks

post #10 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The X500 will give you that, the Panasonic won't even come remotely close.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #11 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Don't Panasonic's have a DI too? I remember my penny AE900 had a DI.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Don't Panasonic's have a DI too? I remember my penny AE900 had a DI.

A DI can only get you so far. The better the native CR is the more a DI has to work with. JVC really is king in this regard.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page