JVC DLA-X500R vs Panasonic PT-AE8000 – Worth the Cost Difference? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Torre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good afternoon all.
I am a long time member who has been away for quite some time so I need a little direction. I have built a few Home Theaters with the last one being in 2004 (see old link in my signature). I am now in the middle of building another one and still have not decided on a projector. Ten years ago, I only used CRT projectors as I could not find a lamp driven projector to impress me. I have looked a t only a few projectors so far and I am happy to see they have come a long way in 10 years. I fell in love with the Sony VPL-VW95ES, however, I don’t think it will work with my set up.

Here is my criteria:
100% dark room and inky blacks are very important!
Constant height 2.35 screen (115”) – will be approx. 92” in 16:9 mode
Throw distance may need to be up to 19 - 20’
Must have lens memory
2D to 3D upconversion would be nice

From what I have read, the throw distance will rule out the Sony due to only having a 1.6 zoom. I am very interested in the new JVC DLA-X500R. Although I have not had the chance to see one in person, I have read a lot about it and it appears to meet all my criteria. I have also taken a strong interest in the Panasonic PT-AE8000 but mostly due to its price. It is less than half the price of the JVC. I fully realize the JVC may be the better projector and I believe the LCOS technology may be able to achieve better blacks that I am so used to with the CRT units I have owned. That being said it costs twice as much.

So my requests from the members here is:
Does anyone know where in the Atlanta area I could see a demo of these two units?
Does anyone see an issue with either of these two units regarding my criteria shown above?
Lastly, I know this is just an opinion, but is the JVC really worth double that of the Panasonic?

Thanks to all in advance!

Torre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15,890
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5028 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torre View Post

Good afternoon all.
I am a long time member who has been away for quite some time so I need a little direction. I have built a few Home Theaters with the last one being in 2004 (see old link in my signature). I am now in the middle of building another one and still have not decided on a projector. Ten years ago, I only used CRT projectors as I could not find a lamp driven projector to impress me. I have looked a t only a few projectors so far and I am happy to see they have come a long way in 10 years. I fell in love with the Sony VPL-VW95ES, however, I don’t think it will work with my set up.

Here is my criteria:
100% dark room and inky blacks are very important!
Constant height 2.35 screen (115”) – will be approx. 92” in 16:9 mode
Throw distance may need to be up to 19 - 20’
Must have lens memory
2D to 3D upconversion would be nice

From what I have read, the throw distance will rule out the Sony due to only having a 1.6 zoom. I am very interested in the new JVC DLA-X500R. Although I have not had the chance to see one in person, I have read a lot about it and it appears to meet all my criteria. I have also taken a strong interest in the Panasonic PT-AE8000 but mostly due to its price. It is less than half the price of the JVC. I fully realize the JVC may be the better projector and I believe the LCOS technology may be able to achieve better blacks that I am so used to with the CRT units I have owned. That being said it costs twice as much.

So my requests from the members here is:
Does anyone know where in the Atlanta area I could see a demo of these two units?
Does anyone see an issue with either of these two units regarding my criteria shown above?
Lastly, I know this is just an opinion, but is the JVC really worth double that of the Panasonic?

Thanks to all in advance!

Since you like inky blacks and came from a CRT, the JVC would be a much better choice over the Panny. Sent you a PM. smile.gif

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #3 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Torre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply and I realize you are correct regarding the black level of the LCOS vs LCD but there is a lot I could do with the extra $2500 so I just want to be really sure its worth it.

Torre is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pottscb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torre View Post

Thanks for the reply and I realize you are correct regarding the black level of the LCOS vs LCD but there is a lot I could do with the extra $2500 so I just want to be really sure its worth it.

There is nothing you could buy or do for $2500 that would make the Panny absolute black level get anywhere close to the JVC (I just bought one). If you have the cash, pull the trigger. Oh, I cale from single chip DLP and the JVC is worlds sharper than the Panasonic (AE7000 at least), and motion has been fixed on the JVCs...they finally really improved almost everything to equal the quality of their black levels. If you are a black level fiend you will gasp during the first fade to black.
pottscb is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Honestly there is no competition here in any regard. The JVC is in a completely different league of picture quality in every way to the Panasonic. The 8000 is a solid budget projector, but it doesn't hold a candle to the X500.

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Kris Deering is online now  
post #6 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,110
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
It sounds like you are already aiming for a high quality home theater experience, and care about picture quality. Further, it appears you keep your projectors for quite a while. Makes little sense to cheap out now. The Panasonic is an "ok" projector; the JVC is pretty much state of the art anywhere around it's price range, and is a particular bang-for-the-buck value right now. The better you buy now, the longer you may be happy with it, the less quality you opt for, the less amount of time you'll likely be happy with it. You've peeked in to see what
is possible in projectors; why not avail yourself of it, rather than choose a projector that is, relative to the JVC, generations behind in performance?

JVC. Obvious choice is obvious.
R Harkness is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 01-18-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Torre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I'm sure I will probably be disapointed with the black level of the LCD.
Does anyone know where I can demo one of these projectors in the Atlanta area?
Thanks again.

Torre is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Personally speaking I wouldn't even bother with the Panasonic. If you have the money the JVC is definitely the way to go. As Kris said, it won't even come close. Now, there isn't anything wrong with the Panasonic and it's a fine projector in it's own right, but the JVC is just that much better. Far better lens, far better native and now dynamic contrast, better dynamic iris implementation, a MUCH deeper black level, motion performance is at least on par with the Panasonic now, it's going to be brighter once calibrated, e-shift is a great feature, it's operating noise is quieter, ect. The list goes on and on. Like I said before, if you have the money, get the JVC and don't waste your time with the Panasonic.

Other than buying a JVC there are only a handful of other projectors that can compete with it's image quality in the under $20000 projector market. A few from Sony, and a few from Runco and Sim2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FS: Sony VPL-VW665ES Native 4K, 3D & HDR Capable Projector
Seegs108 is online now  
post #9 of 19 Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Torre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Personally speaking I wouldn't even bother with the Panasonic. If you have the money the JVC is definitely the way to go. As Kris said, it won't even come close. Now, there isn't anything wrong with the Panasonic and it's a fine projector in it's own right, but the JVC is just that much better. Far better lens, far better native and now dynamic contrast, better dynamic iris implementation, a MUCH deeper black level, motion performance is at least on par with the Panasonic now, it's going to be brighter once calibrated, e-shift is a great feature, it's operating noise is quieter, ect. The list goes on and on. Like I said before, if you have the money, get the JVC and don't waste your time with the Panasonic.

Other than buying a JVC there are only a handful of other projectors that can compete with it's image quality in the under $20000 projector market. A few from Sony, and a few from Runco and Sim2.

Yes, I realize all the responses here are probably correct in that I will be wasting my time to even review the Panasonic but I need to see for myself myself what level of “black” these projectors can reproduce. Both of them. I’m not completely convinced the JVC will WOW me either.
Having come from CRT projectors, I know I may be somewhat disappointed. Just as a point of reference. During the opening scene of Toy Story 2 when Buzz infiltrates Zerg’s lair, there is the part where the “Z” opens in the floor, Buzz drops down and the “Z” slams shut.
When that “Z” slams shut, the CRT projector is 100% black and I mean you could not see your hand in front of your face black.
Thanks

Torre is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
The X500 will give you that, the Panasonic won't even come remotely close.

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Kris Deering is online now  
post #11 of 19 Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,110
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Don't Panasonic's have a DI too? I remember my penny AE900 had a DI.
R Harkness is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Don't Panasonic's have a DI too? I remember my penny AE900 had a DI.

A DI can only get you so far. The better the native CR is the more a DI has to work with. JVC really is king in this regard.
erkq is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 09-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Member
 
cansari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Currently, the price difference between these two projectors is about $1300. I'm trying to decide which one to purchase, for a 138" 2:35:1 Elite scope screen at a 14'10" throw (lens memory mandatory). Would be used for about 2 - 3 movies per month, and very occasional TV/gaming. Thoughts on which to buy? Any other projectors I should consider?
cansari is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 09-29-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by cansari View Post
Currently, the price difference between these two projectors is about $1300. I'm trying to decide which one to purchase, for a 138" 2:35:1 Elite scope screen at a 14'10" throw (lens memory mandatory). Would be used for about 2 - 3 movies per month, and very occasional TV/gaming. Thoughts on which to buy? Any other projectors I should consider?
If you have the money to purchase the X500, I would serioulsy consider it. The JVC is better in just about every area. It's brighter, has far higher native and dynamic contrast, has a far nicer lens for a noticeably sharper image, it's quieter, higher pixel fill, and comes with tons of software/hardware extras like eshift and auto-calibration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FS: Sony VPL-VW665ES Native 4K, 3D & HDR Capable Projector
Seegs108 is online now  
post #15 of 19 Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Drexler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have the same size screen and would like more brightness than either can provide in any decent color mode. I would look at the jvc x5000 instead.
Drexler is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 09-30-2015, 09:06 AM
Member
 
cansari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post
I have the same size screen and would like more brightness than either can provide in any decent color mode. I would look at the jvc x5000 instead.
What is your throw distance? I'm showing 20fl+ brightness for the X500R on the calculator for throws around 17 feet. Couldn't you increase brightness by moving the projector closer to the screen?
cansari is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 09-30-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15,890
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5028 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by cansari View Post
What is your throw distance? I'm showing 20fl+ brightness for the X500R on the calculator for throws around 17 feet. Couldn't you increase brightness by moving the projector closer to the screen?
Don't trust the FL numbers you get on a calculator. They usually are off by a fair margin. For a 138" diagonal 2.35 with 1.0 gain, using 17' throw, I would expect around 15FL of calibrated lumens. I would consider getting on the preorder list for the X5000 or X7000.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #18 of 19 Old 09-30-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Drexler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cansari View Post
What is your throw distance? I'm showing 20fl+ brightness for the X500R on the calculator for throws around 17 feet. Couldn't you increase brightness by moving the projector closer to the screen?
My throw is 17.5 feet. The screen is a 138 inch diagonal 2.35:1 Studiotek 130 1.3 gain screen. Projector JVC X35 (same brightness as X500) always in high lamp and fully open iris with a fresh lamp. IMO it's watchable but just on the borderline of being too dim when viewing scope material. 16:9 mode is ok (which is 110 inch diagonal) but I wouldn't want it any dimmer. Brightness is really seductive, I'm getting a x5000 to replace the X35...
Drexler is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,134
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Yeah, I think the X5000 at this point is almost a no-brainer over the X500. For smaller screens, the X500 might have a little more contrast and you'll probably see some decent discounts as they try to sell them off, but the extra light output and other features of the X5000 just make it an overall worthier option IMO. The increased light output of the X5000 alone is going to help A LOT of people for 2D and 3D.
DavidHir is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off