Sharp Aquos 90 inch tv vs BEST projector on the market - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
People always say that TVs are much sharper than projectors. How would the best projector on a 90 inch screen fare against the $6000 90'' Sharp Aquos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Best projector? I'm not sure if that is the question/comparison to ask, one could spend $100,000+ on a projector.

If you limit your options to 1080p projectors, mid grade (say 2.5k-5k) they can easily keep up resolution and clarity wise. But this is really apples to oranges, and unless you're limiting yourself to 90" due to space constraints it doesn't make sense to compare like this IMO. I'd be asking myself (and did) if I could integrate a projector into the space with the inherent drawbacks of a projector (none of which are video quality related with a decent projector).

I think many people that have projectors, myself included, would rather have a panel... IF it could be the same size and same cost as projector offerings. Many with projectors run 120"+ screens, there is no available TV in this size, and if there were if would require a strong second mortgage. Right now the size/cost equation isn't even close, or even possible due to panel size limitations. For a lot of people with dedicated rooms however a projector makes the most sense, since light is easier to control, and it's the only way to get a suitably sized picture.

My screen is approaching 2x the size of a 90" panel, with good 1080p content it looks amazing, and the lens on my HW50 is known to not be the sharpest. The detail it brings out rivals some of the best out there, however a larger picture also brings out source flaws much more as well. No doubt 4k would be a game changer on picture sizes this big, but the cost is still fairly high and the technology is obviously it it's infancy with little to no content available.

What are you looking to accomplish?

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post

People always say that TVs are much sharper than projectors.

I think the reason people say that is because the comparision is flawed. Projectors are almost always set up much larger than flat panels and all else equal the smaller image will always look sharper. It's just the way things work.
Quote:
How would the best projector on a 90 inch screen fare against the $6000 90'' Sharp Aquos?

Well let's not go for "the best" since well there is no "best", and if there was it would be many times the price of the Sharp (it's probably a close race between the Sim2 Super Lumis, 1080p and the Sony VW1000/1100 which is 4K, both are over $20k, and both are stunning projectors). So lets stick with something reasonable, I found this article:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57458841-221/dont-buy-a-jumbo-lcd-tv-buy-a-projector/

The way I read it, the picture quality is just OK, and when you get out of the sweet spot it drops off quickly. But they've also got some interesting numbers. They measured contrast from the 80" Sharp at 2700:1, they measured the JVC X30 (quite possibly the best bang for the buck projector out there) at over ten times that, 28,500:1, and that image quality (on the screen they used) doesn't change as you move around the room. On important thing to note is those were both measured by the same reviewer.

If you want to spend more like what the sharp costs on just the projector, there's the JVC X700/RS57 which can double that again. And from what I've seen in my short time demoing an X55 (last year's model) they are definitely sharp/detailed.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post

People always say that TVs are much sharper than projectors. How would the best projector on a 90 inch screen fare against the $6000 90'' Sharp Aquos?

You only mention the characteristic of sharpness while there are several other factors that impact picture quality. Most 1080p projectors costing $1,000 and up (e.g., BenQ W1070 at the bottom end of that price range) will match the Sharp 90" Aquos in terms of resolution or sharpness. Most all of the better projectors will easily offer better, more accurate colors, with higher contrast and better blacks than the 90" Aquos. However any projection setup requires the room be very dark (think bat cave) with dark colored walls and ceiling in order to get the best possible performance. In a typical living room environment with moderately bright lighting a flat panel LCD/LED HDTV may be a better alternative, especially for daytime viewing where light is coming thru the windows. Note that 90" Aquos has generally been rated rather poor for picture quality in a number of published reviews. Its certainly not in the same league as the somewhat smaller size high-end LCD/LED HDTVs from Samsung and Sony.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 306
As WE all know, much of what is shot for a movie does not have a large depth of field. The foreground and background ground is out of focus. The actors face is in focus. On a wrist watch size screen you won't notice this. but on a large screen you will. I have guests say their 50 inch panel is sharper and the point to the unsharp foreground and background as not being out of focus on their panel It is but they don't notice it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Also, we need to factor in brightness. Typically speaking a flat panel is far brighter than a typical projector setup and this extra brightness can give a subjective sense of greater depth and sharpness to the image when in reality it's your eyes playing tricks on you.

With that said, overall image quality on an equally priced projector ($6000 as stated) will give much better picture quality over the flat panel and at much larger sizes in an optimally treated room.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Also, we need to factor in brightness. Typically speaking a flat panel is far brighter than a typical projector setup and this extra brightness can give a subjective sense of greater depth and sharpness to the image when in reality it's your eyes playing tricks on you.

With that said, overall image quality on an equally priced projector ($6000 as stated) will give much better picture quality over the flat panel and at much larger sizes in an optimally treated room.

I agree, that's something I kind of alluded to. Being able to have a huge picture is both a blessing and a curse. It allows you to see things you would never be able to see on a panel, really more so at further than recommended seating distances. The flip side of that is that you also see all of the bad in the source, and when the source is overall bad, you see all of it.

Going back to my original point, same size and same cost, you can get all of the sharpness and the same or better picture quality out of a projector. But it just doesn't make any sense to compare that way because there are other integration factors that should be where the decision is made on whether to go with a panel or a projector.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp Lc 90le657 90 Inch Led 3d Hdtv , Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page