Making Decision Today... Sony HW55ES or JVC RS49 Please Weigh In! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Received the RS4910U (firmware updated) Saturday morning, installed it and was NOT disappointed!! Looks amazing, black levels and contrast are noticeably better than the Sony! The DI is silent as far as can tell and not noticeable and it seems to close all the way when appropriate... the Sony didn't. Everyone comments on how the Sony 55ES has great color reproduction straight out of the box, but regardless of the fine tuning I performed based on my Spears & Munsil blu-ray and expert reviewer settings, there was always a hint of green in certain situations. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to green, but I found myself trying to talk myself into thinking it wasn't there. I love the color on the RS49 and the sharpness with eshift 3 and Darbee is perfect. Thanks to those that helped me make this decision. Now I just need to find a buyer for my RS46... shouldn't be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I did not know that the RS4910 has DI?
post #33 of 38 Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Yeah, all of the new models this year have the DI and eshift.
post #34 of 38 Old 01-27-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post

Received the RS4910U (firmware updated) Saturday morning, installed it and was NOT disappointed!! Looks amazing, black levels and contrast are noticeably better than the Sony! The DI is silent as far as can tell and not noticeable and it seems to close all the way when appropriate... the Sony didn't. Everyone comments on how the Sony 55ES has great color reproduction straight out of the box, but regardless of the fine tuning I performed based on my Spears & Munsil blu-ray and expert reviewer settings, there was always a hint of green in certain situations. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to green, but I found myself trying to talk myself into thinking it wasn't there. I love the color on the RS49 and the sharpness with eshift 3 and Darbee is perfect. Thanks to those that helped me make this decision. Now I just need to find a buyer for my RS46... shouldn't be a problem.

Glad to hear the projector made it safely on it's quick trip. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #35 of 38 Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

You wouldn't by any chance have done any gaming (PS4) on that RS4910...or Sony 55ES? I am also torn between the 2 and would like to do some gaming as well as movies in new theater room. I heard the input lag may not be acceptable on the JVC. Thx in advance!
post #36 of 38 Old 02-08-2014, 08:12 PM

Liked: 18
For input lag it all depends on what youre used to and how serious of a gamer you are. I dont play online multiplayer and just enjoy offline campaign mode and the jvc x500 seems fine so far, albeit it does seem a touch laggier than the epson 6020 i was running previously. If you play online and are used to gaming on a computer monitor for example though, you may be dissapointed with the jvc and should go with the sony. Ultimately what I suggest in order of preference:
-find a local dealer who sells the jvc and take your console over there and ty it out.
-look up the lag of your current display and see how it compares to say 80ms which is what I have seen estimated for the jvc.
-chance it and know you can either sell it or add a cheap dlp gaming pj if necessary at a later date.

Good luck.
post #37 of 38 Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 View Post

For input lag it all depends on what youre used to and how serious of a gamer you are. I dont play online multiplayer and just enjoy offline campaign mode and the jvc x500 seems fine so far, albeit it does seem a touch laggier than the epson 6020 i was running previously. If you play online and are used to gaming on a computer monitor for example though, you may be dissapointed with the jvc and should go with the sony. Ultimately what I suggest in order of preference:
-find a local dealer who sells the jvc and take your console over there and ty it out.
-look up the lag of your current display and see how it compares to say 80ms which is what I have seen estimated for the jvc.
-chance it and know you can either sell it or add a cheap dlp gaming pj if necessary at a later date.

Good luck.

I have to agree with Jimmy12. I don't game on mine, but my 12 year old son did on the sony es55 and does my jvc. I asked him and he said he doesn't notice anything. He only ever complains when his online experience lags due to internet performance. I've had Sony's, Epson's and mostly JVC's and he has never complained about controller to screen reaction time... but then he's only 12.
post #38 of 38 Old 02-09-2014, 02:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 View Post

Good luck.

Quote:

I have to agree with Jimmy12. I don't game on mine, but my 12 year old son did on the sony es55 and does my jvc. I asked him and he said he doesn't notice anything. He only ever complains when his online experience lags due to internet performance. I've had Sony's, Epson's and mostly JVC's and he has never complained about controller to screen reaction time... but then he's only 12.

I greatly appreciate it guys! I think I should be fine w/ the JVC then since I want best possible 2D movie viewing as well. I currently use an 8G Pioneer Kuro 6010 which I read has a 50-60ms lag so @ 80ms shouldn't bother me much if I had to guess. Thnx for helping me rid myself of $5k+..lol
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page