JVC Newbies Tips, Tricks and Recommendations Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 106 Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 310
None of the home theater projectors that offer a "panel alignment" feature do it in a physical fashion. It is all done digitally through video processing software. This is why you should only use this feature in moderation. After a certain point you're doing more harm than good and you'll start to notice a less refined image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 02-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Does the JVC actually move each panel or is it a digital/SW adjustment/alignment ?

I am not certain, but what odedia says makes sense to me.

As for focus, since I posted the focus tip i have learned of a better focus technique by a member. Use a green window from the Rec709 disc, this allows you to see the pixel grid, I was able to get the focus very tight that way. As in my other tip turn E-shift off.

James Reid:D
post #93 of 106 Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

Alm
almost positive its digital. You can fix very specific regions while not impacting others. I doubt that's possible by really moving the panels.

I believe the same. I did adjust the convergence on my RS57 using a very minor global adjustments and finally various minor local adjustments. Convergence was perfect around the middle of the screen and gradually got worse as I got closer to the edges of the screen. I checked resolution patterns with and without the correction applied (it is easy to switch the panel aligment correction on and off quickly) and I saw no loss of resolution whatsoever, just sharper, more defined lines. Of course, the difference is harder to see with real video material, but the picture looks sharper to my eyes with panel alignment correction applied, and this is more obvious as I look closer to th edges of my screen, even with real video material.

BTW, I dont mean to say my RS57 had bad convergence from the factory. In fact, the whole center area of the screen had perfect convergence, and the lens (more than panel alignment) probably causes the slight convergence errors I see around the screen. No matter, JVC provided a nice feature to fix this, and to me it leads to subjectively improved perceived image quality.

Stef
post #94 of 106 Old 02-23-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a screen size over 120" Diag (over 60" high) in a light controlled room? It appears that the newer projectors will not put more than 12fL of light on a 100IRE window above this size. What is your size and experience?

Jeff in Detoirt
post #95 of 106 Old 02-24-2014, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryngelson View Post

Does anyone have a screen size over 120" Diag (over 60" high) in a light controlled room? It appears that the newer projectors will not put more than 12fL of light on a 100IRE window above this size. What is your size and experience?

Jeff in Detoirt

I have a 140" 2.35:1 1.0 gain which is about 150" in 16:9 terms. I mostly watch in a dark room but the walls are light color. No clue what's FL or anything like that, but honestly it looks great for 2D and 3D. I did set the envrionment setting in the menus and I think it helps a bit. For 3D 2.35:1 I would still go with high lamp mode, for 16:9 (which is about 115") I don't see the need, low lamp is sufficient. Note that this is with JVC/XPand glasses, with the samsung glasses I had terrible experience.

In 2D I'm using low lamp all the way.
post #96 of 106 Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks OD. What model do you have? Your screen must be about 55"H. Do you mask L & R side to get 16x9? How long have you had this?
post #97 of 106 Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryngelson View Post

Thanks OD. What model do you have? Your screen must be about 55"H. Do you mask L & R side to get 16x9? How long have you had this?

For about a month. I don't mask because it's really not bothering me on the sides. It's driving me insane up and down though,even a small strip is annoying. Humans perceive visuals vertically more that horizontally.

I have a grandview screen. It uses da lite Matt white 1.0 fabric.
post #98 of 106 Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I am not certain, but what odedia says makes sense to me.

As for focus, since I posted the focus tip i have learned of a better focus technique by a member. Use a green window from the Rec709 disc, this allows you to see the pixel grid, I was able to get the focus very tight that way. As in my other tip turn E-shift off.

This may be a dumb question but is there another way to bring up focus without the internal grid with the word "focus" coming up and if so how do you get there ( in order to use the Rec709 disc instead )- in other words where is that in the menu?
post #99 of 106 Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post

This may be a dumb question but is there another way to bring up focus without the internal grid with the word "focus" coming up and if so how do you get there ( in order to use the Rec709 disc instead )- in other words where is that in the menu?

Go into the menu for lens control (or whatever it is called) and turn off the pattern option. Then when you enter the focus option only the word focus will display in the upper right hand corner and you can use whatever is projected on the screen to focus (aka when using a calibration disc).
post #100 of 106 Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking at about the exact same screen setup that you have - dimension wise. I'm curious - how far back from the screen in your projector?
post #101 of 106 Old 03-03-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post

I'm looking at about the exact same screen setup that you have - dimension wise. I'm curious - how far back from the screen in your projector?

Who exactly is your question directed towards?
post #102 of 106 Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

Who exactly is your question directed towards?

Hmm, I must have just hit reply instead of quote on that last one. I was directing my question at Odedia.
post #103 of 106 Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post

Hmm, I must have just hit reply instead of quote on that last one. I was directing my question at Odedia.

My screen is right at the edge of filling the image for 2.35 content, around 4.50 meters.
post #104 of 106 Old 03-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

My screen is right at the edge of filling the image for 2.35 content, around 4.50 meters.

Thanks - in that case, I should be in good shape. My distance it going to be right about 15 feet, which is just a little over your 4.5 meters.
post #105 of 106 Old 04-03-2014, 09:14 AM

Liked: 13
So I love the richness of the image in THX. But the black crush and shadow detail are horrible. Has anyone without extra calibration equipment (metets/Lumagen etc) got any suggestions on settings to obtain the THX image richness while obtaining better shadow detail/black crushing?
post #106 of 106 Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Send me an email or Pm and I'll send you some settings. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Harx500 Over The Ear Headphones , Jvc Dla X700r , Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com